Author Topic: Laptop Problems - Samsung np900x4c-a01uk  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Laptop Problems - Samsung np900x4c-a01uk
« on: February 21, 2019, 05:50:30 pm »
Any tech heads that might be able to give me a steer?

A buddy asked me if I'd take a look at an old laptop and see if I could spruce it up a bit.

Installed a new SSD. Updated windows to 10.

He mentioned there was an issue with the battery as well and sure enough a windows message popped up advising it was spent and needed to be replaced.

Got one online, popped it in no dramas at all but the fucking thing won't charge. The orange light comes on giving the impression it is but the charge shows 0% (it said dissipating once too) and if you unplug it then it instantly turns off.

Am I missing something or is it a lost cause?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Laptop Problems - Samsung np900x4c-a01uk
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:26:29 pm »
Rather than suspect a dead battery bought new which is what it sounds like but unusual, I'd be looking at the power cable you're using - is it the same brand or DEFO the right cable, original, clean, no loose bits?

99% sure it's a physical problem because even if Windows didn't play nice with the battery, it going dead is a giveaway there's no charge to draw on. I doubt your new battery is dead - I doubt it's getting charged! Are you 200% sure your mate gave you the right charger? :) Do try charging with the laptop itself off.

Had a few like this where you can plug a new kettle lead into the power brick part. Not sure on Samsungs though.

If possible also take the battery out and give the contacts of where it fits into the laptop a clean if necessary too.

I wouldn't write the laptop or even the new battery off until you can test the charging cable...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:33:05 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:27:31 pm »
The power cable looks legit, even has the original windows sticker on.

It also powers the laptop when plugged in.

After a while of trying to charge the power light goes to green then red blinking. Don't seem to be able to find out what that means?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:52:34 pm »
Blinking lights usually mean there's a problem (duh, right?!) - quick google suggests when it charges it should be solid red

So what's left... the laptop itself (if it's the motherboard or something you're out of luck), the new battery being knackered (not common but not unheard of and it doesn't sound like it's had a chance to charge- again pointing at the laptop itself). It would be odd for the cable to power the thing at all if it's knackered....

It's looking like the laptop itself... :/

I'll have another look around and come back if I think of anything else to try.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:33 pm »
Cheers buddy I appreciate it :wave

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 01:03:43 pm »
Been having similar problems with my laptop battery, a Novatech.  Laptop can cut out without warning when on the battery; flashing red power light when charging (didn't used to do that).  I've tried to reset the charge meter on the laptop so I get a more accurate reading of the battery but it hasn't helped - usually cuts out somewhere between 24-38%, so I'm always flicking the mains on and off.

Just need to suck it up and order a new battery.  It's probably come from hibernating it all the time instead of turning it off.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 04:02:16 pm »
Titi matey unless you fancy getting a cheapo generic charger from ebay which is probably a waste of time anyway, I'm comfortable writing that lappy off. Usually internal charging issues are the motherboard, so.... Time for it to sit on a desk, always plugged in  :)

Been having similar problems with my laptop battery, a Novatech.  Laptop can cut out without warning when on the battery; flashing red power light when charging (didn't used to do that).  I've tried to reset the charge meter on the laptop so I get a more accurate reading of the battery but it hasn't helped - usually cuts out somewhere between 24-38%, so I'm always flicking the mains on and off.

Just need to suck it up and order a new battery.  It's probably come from hibernating it all the time instead of turning it off.

Aye, all that suggests the actual capacity is changing, Windows is just playing catchup, and kudos for realising that means the battery is offski.

I let my laptop die, hibernation is not an issue to worry about, in my experience and research. I have a generic secondary battery I swap with every so often. Dirt cheap, I don't mind generic, as long as the voltage is right...

The worst thing to do for a battery IMO is to keep using it on full charge connected to the power. Because you're not actually using the battery and it will degrade quicker. Even Windows 10 has pretty smart power management features but you wouldn't be giving them a chance to work from always plugged-in! Batteries work best when they can breathe.

... I need a job  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:06:54 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 04:25:24 pm »
Yeah, I'd tend to run it on battery then flip the mains on when the battery got low, then flip the mains off again when it read fully charged.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 04:52:06 pm »
It could also be a loose or worn adapter socket inside the laptop.  Does the adapter plug feel loose when inserted?  If so, then it doesn't have the full contact surface to transmit power to the laptop, therefore not enough power for charging.

If that's the case, then it's a common and cheap fix for a laptop technician.

But it could also be a burned out adapter, which is another common problem.  Buy one, and if that's not the problem, then return it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:56:20 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi