Author Topic: What is RAWK?  (Read 378072 times)

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What is RAWK?
« Reply #40 on: May 7, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »
For me, RAWK is just too populated to allow for good discussion. The post-match round table threads have been excellent because they move along at a steady but not lightning pace and posts are generally well thought-out. It seems that many people get scared away by the need to post more than a few lines of instant reaction, and this is a good thing. But many threads in the main LFC section of the forum just don't lend themselves to good discussion because they move too fast and good posts have a habit of getting lost amidst the unremarkable. On a similar note, you can arrive a few days late at the round table threads, read through, get a sense of where the discussion is going, and chime in accordingly, but when you're confronted with 20 pages spanning a matter of hours, you either think "why bother?" or you just read the end of the thread and end up repeating something that's already been mentioned.

I spend most of my time in other areas of RAWK because threads are, generally, easier paced, often funnier, and posters either seem to chill out a bit or simply have a bit more respect for each other.

Offline Outlaw

• Main Stander
« Reply #41 on: May 7, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
I don't like any Liverpool fan undermining our manager calling for their head, particularly when it's such a great man as Kenny. That is out of order. But how do you educate those who are don't have that patience? closing the thread doesn't help.

You see, I think this post is totally wild. I don't feel I need educating because I have a different view on the best way to support the club (which, in this case, I believe is different to supporting Kenny). I'd be happy to debate it. I'd not be happy if my view was moderated out of existence by somebody with a different, ultimately subjective viewpoint.

This is just a general point about moderation on all forums, not this one in particular. A discussion has to be allowed to flourish. You could just read Socrates, he'll fix it.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2012, 09:15:14 pm by Outlaw »

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #42 on: May 7, 2012, 09:14:51 pm »
I don't like any Liverpool fan undermining our manager calling for their head, particularly when it's such a great man as Kenny. That is out of order. But how do you educate those who are don't have that patience? closing the thread doesn't help.

I actually think the (*) threads helped in these circumstances, whether the mods felt this approach was to high maintenance or their effect eventually grew off, i don't know. But good debate should never be stifled by a few bad apples. Evaluating how our season has gone for example is good debate, it will rise good discussion over what's worked and what has failed, with some good  discussion on how we are to improve. Somebody bringing Rafa into that conversation shouldn't be allowed to spoil that possible good debate.

I don't have any problem with people criticising the manager as long as the post is backed up with a reasoned argument. I don't mind people talking about Rafa. I don't mind people talking about Hodgson........however I do tire of the shallow posts who just say that he was rubbish (he is a good manager; not one that I want to see at Liverpool but I will not jump on the anti- Hodgson bandwagon).

#JFT97

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 7, 2012, 09:15:21 pm »
It's their right to have an opinion, just because its not as optimistic as yours, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to make their point. Of course, people are clearly being over the line need to be punished.

For what it's worth, I don't have a problem with the way things are run, I think RAWK reflects the attitude of a very un-united fan base at the moment.

I wasn't criticising you suggestion, really just asking how you envisaged it should work.  Didn't word it clearly enough :)
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #44 on: May 7, 2012, 09:15:53 pm »
What I will say is that whilst people coming on here after a defeat and saying they want rid of Kenny, all our players are shite, etc etc is irritating, inflammatory and contributes absolutely nothing to the site, some of the posts written by people occupying the opposite end of the scale are almost equally as irritating and inflammatory, and don't contribute all that much either. I think that it's difficult to find that middle-ground on here - a sentence that could have been worded better ends up being jumped on, and the rest of what is otherwise a well thought out, balanced and reasonable post gets ignored. Then you'll get the thread being derailed by squabbling and pettiness, and of course I've been guilty of doing the same thing myself in the past, but I digress - what I'm saying is that it's not just WUMs and kneejerkers and whingers that detract from debate on here.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #45 on: May 7, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »
What I will say is that whilst people coming on here after a defeat and saying they want rid of Kenny, all our players are shite, etc etc is irritating, inflammatory and contributes absolutely nothing to the site, some of the posts written by people occupying the opposite end of the scale are almost equally as irritating and inflammatory, and don't contribute all that much either. I think that it's difficult to find that middle-ground on here - a sentence that could have been worded better ends up being jumped on, and the rest of what is otherwise a well thought out, balanced and reasonable post gets ignored. Then you'll get the thread being derailed by squabbling and pettiness, and of course I've been guilty of doing the same thing myself in the past, but I digress - what I'm saying is that it's not just WUMs and kneejerkers and whingers that detract from debate on here.
We're only as good as our worst poster.

So you'll only be ever as good as me. :P ;) ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 7, 2012, 09:23:20 pm »
I don't have any problem with people criticising the manager as long as the post is backed up with a reasoned argument. I don't mind people talking about Rafa. I don't mind people talking about Hodgson........however I do tire of the shallow posts who just say that he was rubbish (he is a good manager; not one that I want to see at Liverpool but I will not jump on the anti- Hodgson bandwagon).

I agree with this, i have no issue with any of the above. What i do take issue with much as you is the inability to articulate points of view. Saying this person or player is shit and we need this player or that manager, are useless throw away comments.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 7, 2012, 09:24:22 pm »

This, this and this again.
I don't mind posters writing just about anything they want, as long as criteria is adherred to.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #48 on: May 7, 2012, 09:24:29 pm »
Houllier, Benitez, Dalglish and the next one OUT!
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #49 on: May 7, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »
Also the idea of voting on posts doesn't work on the main .tv one they had more rows between them about rep points for their little boxes than the contents of the posts

Nah you wouldn't want a rep system per se, just more of a way of making the good posts known than having to start a thread "all the good posts in here" which I believe was started, and then having to copy and paste posts into that thread. Why should the people looking for the detailed, analytical, quality posts have to find them all in one thread?

Also, I rarely post on the Liverpool board anymore, perhaps once or twice a week, more if I'm actually engaging in discussion, but spend the majority of my time, lurking and reading. I may be on my own, but I also really hate it when a thread descends into madness because one or two posters have an agenda, and it doesn't matter whether I agree with the point they are pressing or not, but you find after a while the same people are consistently writing the same things throughout the thread, normally with the quality of their actual post becoming less and less. Especially, but not limited to, when we lose a game. And it get's a little infuriating. I understand they have their opinion, but I don't need to see it 10-15 times, constantly re-asserting their staunch position.

I particularly hate throwaway comments like "As I said sign midtable players, finish midtable". It doesn't really add anything to any discussion, infact it almost feels as if they are revelling in our misfortune because they can say "I told you so" - despite the fact that some of our performances earlier on in the season were good, if not spectacular and had we had a cutting edge, we could have been 10-12 points higher up the league before the Arsenal game where we seemed to fall apart. I dunno, maybe I'm just whining for no good reason, but taking the Anfield Wrap as a mechanism of discussion and a barometer of quality, any contributor on there would certainly have to then go onto justify that stand point a little more. Man United have signed all sorts of players over the years from all sorts of teams and have achieved.

Maybe its because its the modern day way we discuss and analysis things, but we're not facing impending doom and the outlook despite the horrible league season is one of likely progression. Perhaps I'm like Rob Guttman from the Anfield Wrap and perhaps my head's in the ground. But I'm thankful to be on an even keel again, with a chance each season to invest in the team. £30m won't be going on interest payments this summer nor will £50m be going  on stadium plans, I would hope it will be going on players, and improvement.

I think a difference now, a lot more so than in previous years since I signed up to RAWK is that everyone wants to be the manager and everyone knows best, I think we've lost a little of putting a bit of trust in the manager and giving him the time to execute his plan - Roy Hodgson's really anally fucked us on that one (while not on purpose) as now people seem to feel that's the best option every time, sack sack sack.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2012, 09:33:04 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: May 7, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »
As a suggestion, I'd like some form of automated timed-out/countdown function, with a countdown clock so users can see when the thred unlocks.

As a couple of examples:

The ticket exchange thread.  Barney Rubble could set up a ticket exchange for 'X' game, but set it up anything up to 48 hours before it's due to open - one week before the game + 48 hours -  and just let it run it's course on a countdown clock, for all to see.
When the countdown clock reaches zero, the thread automatically opens without any extra input from Barney.

It would work on many levels. It would mean that Barney Wouldn't get hassled all the time to open a new ticket exchange for 'X' game, as long as he's already set it up, and it would also mean anyone looking in knows exactly when the ticket exchange on that game opens, as they can see the countdown clock, on screen.

The same kind of thing would apply to contentious threads where the thread gets over heated, with hot heads.

If a thread reaches boiling point, a mod could add anything from 1, 2, 6, 12, 24, 48 hour lock, on a countdown timer for all to see, and when the countdown reaches zero, the thread automatically unlocks itself.
As the mod locks it and adds the countdown, the mod explains why it was locked, and for people not to repeat the same patern.

Basically it fires a shot across everyones bow who was in there at the time spouting off or acting the fool, and gives everyone an automated cooling off period, before the thread reopens itself.

Obviously some threads need to be locked permanantly due to some content, but in the main, most threads that are locked could well have mileage in them, when people have cooled down, but the mods are sometimes not arsed to reopen them, as their too heavy to clean up, or excessively moderate.

I'm sick of seeing good threads locked, just because two individual hot-heads want to go into rutting season, and bang heads.

other than that, maybe I just like dramatic countdown clocks.  :D

Offline Red Scouse

• Anny Roader
  • Stop making sense.
« Reply #51 on: May 7, 2012, 09:31:55 pm »
I appreciate the question. I've been on the site for many years - it's one of my daily four, that is, the four sites I check regularly throughout the day. Two of the four are my email accounts, which means that RAWK is one of two non-email sites I deem essential. But I feel that's becoming an increasingly symbolic gesture rather than a meaningful one.

I've been on here throughout the arguments over Houllier, Benitez, and G&H, and there were many good discussions in those days. Maybe the forum users are becoming younger, maybe a difficult season makes us tetchier, but I feel the good discussions are thinning out. Increasingly, the site is governed by something akin to Godwin's Law. I've felt it was coming, but for me the hysterical elastic limit was reached when we drew Everton in the semis this year and a poster remarked that it was like the good old days again, 'Merseyside!' he exclaimed. He was pulled to bits immediately. Why? It made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I loved the eighties, when football was ruled by the city of Liverpool. I joined my friends when Everton did the cup homecoming and they joined me when the Liverpool bus went past Stanley Park with Brucie hodling the European Cup. That was something we used to do. We were a united city. But the discussion turned into an online version of Lord of the Flies and went completely unchecked. Why? What is the editorial decision process that allows a mob to silence a perfectly reasonable comment?

David Foster Wallace argued that the internet needs more gatekeepers, and I feel that's lacking at RAWK. We can get page after page of 'is right' or smiley faces or posts that actually carry no comment at all but simply repeat somebody else's, or any of that empty bullshit that helps push up a forum users comment count, but a comment that expresses a divergent value is wiped out. There is nothing gentlemanly about it, it feels like walking past a gang of hoodies outside Threshers. It's neanderthal, aggressive, and endlessly predictable.

Conversely, I feel that topics that people obviously have big opinions about are too frequently dismissed out of hand. It's good that transfer topics are closed outside of the transfer window, but there are bigger things that should be open to discussion this year rather than endless pages of team formations. It should be possible to discuss whether Kenny is up to the job. It should be possible to say 'actually, I think what Suarez said was racist and he should never have said it' - which, for the record, I do believe. It should be possible to accommodate a little bit of hand-wringing, because that's the nature of being a football fan and certainly the nature of supporting Liverpool and it should be possible to discern which comments are worthy of reflection. But too often the RAWK editorial process is a blythe one, where maybe it could be more, well, editorial. Cutting out rather than closing off. There should be more room for comment and opinion and less room for the empty-vesseling that too often happens here.

Well said.

There are many excellent posters on this site, unfortunately it seems to have been hijacked by an ever growing minority who want instant success and/or jump down the throat of anybody who is having a bad game or season. The internet has made life a commodity in that respect, people no longer feel their support is part of the process of becoming a winning team - 'the team should turn up and win and if they don't I'll moan and groan because I demand success'. It has never worked like that and never will, we have to be supporters first and foremost.

Even tonight there is a thread entitled Kuyt & Carra, this should be a celebration of the players we might be letting go this summer, instead it has degenerated into a discussion about Carra and his future plans. I find that disrespectful and was going to contribute but didn't as a result.

Generally I think RAWK is fine as it is. I think we should all try and police it and help the mods - I know this happens and have been at the wrong end of it a couple of times and it works.

Keep up the good work.

« Last Edit: May 7, 2012, 09:43:51 pm by Red Scouse »

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #52 on: May 7, 2012, 09:32:47 pm »
Houllier, Benitez, Dalglish and the next one OUT!

i respect your right to have that opinion, and express it in this arena - "forum" if you will - but why? ;)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 7, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »
Maybe restricting any who come into the main board with one line inflammatory nonsense that riles a load of other posters by 'relegating' them to the effect they can not post on the main forum for a period of time, or for say two days after a game or something?  I.e. where such comments aren't really abusive enough to warrant a ban.

They could of course go and vent elsewhere on the general footie forum or something but at least it would be off the main board.

Offline Red Reign

• Anny Roader
  • Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.
« Reply #54 on: May 7, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
The over-moderation is a bit of a turnoff. Someone already mentioned it but I find it a tad bit ridiculous that we can't discuss summer transfers right now. The forums is a place were fans congregate and discuss matters pertaining to the club. If this isn't the case then it should be closed to posting by anyone other than official rawk writers.
“Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place son.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #55 on: May 7, 2012, 09:34:49 pm »
other than that, maybe I just like dramatic countdown clocks.  :D

:D

Not actually a bad idea at all (if there is some form of mod for it) and perhaps it might ease the burden on the moderators and admins.

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #56 on: May 7, 2012, 09:34:55 pm »
Could you find a way to actively encourage the more articulate and thoughtful posters? - Give a select few their own thread to post in and respond to their writing?

Some people may be put of going to the trouble of writing something decent  in case it gets locked / missed  - could you ask people to contact you with article/ thread ideas and if they turn out good enough maybe promote them somehow?
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline Outlaw

• Main Stander
« Reply #57 on: May 7, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »
The over-moderation is a bit of a turnoff. Someone already mentioned it but I find it a tad bit ridiculous that we can't discuss summer transfers right now. The forums is a place were fans congregate and discuss matters pertaining to the club. If this isn't the case then it should be closed to posting by anyone other than official rawk writers.

I don't know why any forum would want to be restrictive, rather than encourage honest, friendly discussion.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 7, 2012, 09:36:07 pm »
It's not summer, the season hasn't finished, the transfer window isn't open. Not good enough reasons not to?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #59 on: May 7, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »
Someone already mentioned it but I find it a tad bit ridiculous that we can't discuss summer transfers right now.

Even when the Summer Transfer window is open, RAWK's always had a policy whereby only real 'goers' can be discussed - whether that's to save on server load, or just to make the site cleaner (e.g not full of 150 different transfer threads) I don't know. But it is true that eventually this sort of transfer talk will spill over into other threads. People are keen to discuss that. Perhaps you could open the summer transfer window early, and have five threads (one for each position, GK, DEF, MID, ATT and one for Coaching roles)  stickied for all manner of discussion, suggestions, and links which anything goes in, and underneath all the links that are confirmed by ITK's, agents, players, newspapers, journalists etc?

Sometimes people like to ponder things that might not be 100% officially on the cards, as you would do in the pub. "Have you seen blah blah blah, I think he'd be the ideal foil for Suarez" etc. It's not always that bad in my opinion, but of course it is up to the people that run the site. Much like the Liverpool managers job I have trust in the team that run the site to make the best decisions, otherwise I wouldn't have been an active member for the last 8 years.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 7, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »
I don't know why any forum would want to be restrictive, rather than encourage honest, friendly discussion.
That's the problem, the discussion is encouraged, but it goes from being friendly to petty and insulting with one inflammatory comment.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #61 on: May 7, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
It's not summer, the season hasn't finished, the transfer window isn't open. Not good enough reasons not to?
I think his general point is that obviously the club are planning for summer most likely behind the scenes, why can there not be discussion about how we might improve going forwards. I mean personally, I think it might ease the mood in here if we were able to discuss how the club may improve itself from here on out, as focusing purely on the here and now, is just every thread talking about how poor the season has been and I've known that for some time, I've had enough of it being confirmed by psoter asfter poster as if their opinion holds more weight than the 300 before him/her. While Chelsea at Anfield should be the focus, as it will be for the club, the strategy for summer is crucial this year, and they'll be discussing it, I don't see why we can't? Especially if it was within an area away from the main boards. It would easily be better than the negative hangovers that exist currently.

Like it or lump it we're in a bit of a sticky situation and we need to find a way out of it.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2012, 09:44:26 pm by Hij »

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 7, 2012, 09:47:57 pm »
Even tonight there is a thread entitled Kuyt & Carra, this should be a celebration of the players we might be letting go this summer, instead it has degenerated into a discussion about Carra and his future plans. I find that disrespectful and was going to contribute but didn't as a result.

Unfortunately you can't mention the word Carra in any thread without the same old posters wading in with theories and criticisms.  God forbid anyone says they actually like the player and try and have a decent debate about his performances or achievements because then these same p posters become even more incensed, posting links to books, articles, earlier threads etc to back up their views.

It's a bloody nightmare at times and happens time after time, always resulting in all Carra threads being locked.

Couldn't these posters just be warned about what they write?  They obviously doesn't meet with Modly approval otherwise the threads wouldn't get locked.  That would at least allow the rest of us to have a discussion about Carra.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 7, 2012, 09:48:02 pm »
Could you find a way to actively encourage the more articulate and thoughtful posters? - Give a select few their own thread to post in and respond to their writing?
Someone else suggested that too, but I just wanted to say I really don't like that idea. It's exactly the opposite of what a forum should be, open debate among everybody. There's enough 'experts' talking their stuff in the media, with no proper option to join in. We have some excellent writers on this site, but the special thing is that you can actually debate with them, and aren't just relegated into an observer role.

The only thing I can suggest is being harsher on "chatty" posts - one-liners meant for just one person (or maybe a small clique). Its more of a problem in The Boozer though. Wish people would use PMs for that stuff.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 7, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »
I think his general point is that obviously the club are planning for summer most likely behind the scenes, why can there not be discussion about how we might improve going forwards. I mean personally, I think it might ease the mood in here if we were able to discuss how the club may improve itself from here on out, as focusing purely on the here and now, is just every thread talking about how poor the season has been. While Chelsea at Anfield should be the focus, as it will be for the club, the strategy for summer is crucial this year, and they'll be discussing it, I don't see why we can't. It would easily be better than the negative hangovers that exist currently.
I'm guessing(and feel free to step in modjumulators if I'm wrong) that at what point do we start a transfer topic? It really would clutter up the place and add more gumff to mod. So for me, I honestly don't see the issue in people waiting till the end of the season then they open it up and everyone can fill their boots.
Lets not forget there is a European championships to contest with this summer so the amount of 'ooer I like him' threads will be in overdrive.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #65 on: May 7, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »
with regards voting / thumbs up...

It would be great to use something like this, as we would be able to half the size of the threads. All the "well said", "i agree", "here here", posts would be cleaned right up, thus the thread would flow smoother, consume less band with, and quality gets noticed.

There shouldn't need to be a points system, just a means to view good posts easier, and reduce the clutter. hopefully this tidier approach would promote posts of greater quality. if the posts that got the thumbs up could change colour or be highligted in some way, all the better :) 

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 7, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »
PS. Please take that as my written application for a Euro-Forum Dominatrix position. :P

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #67 on: May 7, 2012, 09:51:32 pm »
I agree with moderation on the threads. Some people use them only to vent their anger and don't add anything constructive to the discussion about the team/individual players/management/organization/etc.

When I first came to RAWK I liked it a lot because it taught me a lot about the club and sadly nowadays much of that is missed under the load of rubbish some people post.

Maybe just adding Royhendo and Southern Pansy is not enough, you may need more people helping in the "Editing" process.

Other thing that I consider important, is that when you guys delete a thread/post, it would be good if at least you explain the poster(s) the reason behind it, as many see these as arbitrary solutions and therefore comes all the fuss about the deletion. It could be a simple PM to the posters. Why I said this, again this site is a great tool to educate fellow reds around, and what a better way to do so that taking this sort of measure. It may take a minute extra or two, but it will help, mostly the newbbies on the site how things are done here.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 7, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »
I'm guessing(and feel free to step in modjumulators if I'm wrong) that at what point do we start a transfer topic?

When's transfer window open?

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 7, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »
When's transfer window open?
Not sure to a date but I think they(the spazzies on a lazzy from the Tower :P) open it up pretty much soon enough after the season has finished, so to me, they are playing fair and facilitating the needy masses.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #70 on: May 7, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »
I agree with moderation on the threads. Some people use them only to vent their anger

^ This for me is what ruins my experience on here sometimes. Like Lady Brandybuck, I learnt a lot of how to support the reds from a lot of the posters on here and came across the do's and don't's, especially when it comes to supporting your side and your manager! I'd like to think it stood me in good stead in regards the red I am when I go the games, or represent the club by wearing the colours.

I'm guessing(and feel free to step in modjumulators if I'm wrong) that at what point do we start a transfer topic? It really would clutter up the place and add more gumff to mod.

Fair point mate. And I agree, we wouldn't want a thread for every player who scored in the European Championships, but I do think occasionally it is over restrictive. Is there not an argument that the thread more likely to happen will rise up, because more and more will come out about any potential move and the one that is not likely to happen at all would eventually fall?

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 7, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »
As a suggestion, I'd like some form of automated timed-out/countdown function, with a countdown clock so users can see when the thred unlocks.

As a couple of examples:

The ticket exchange thread.  Barney Rubble could set up a ticket exchange for 'X' game, but set it up anything up to 48 hours before it's due to open - one week before the game + 48 hours -  and just let it run it's course on a countdown clock, for all to see.
When the countdown clock reaches zero, the thread automatically opens without any extra input from Barney.

It would work on many levels. It would mean that Barney Wouldn't get hassled all the time to open a new ticket exchange for 'X' game, as long as he's already set it up, and it would also mean anyone looking in knows exactly when the ticket exchange on that game opens, as they can see the countdown clock, on screen.

Interesting, but not sure how practical it would be.

The Ticket Exchanges are due to go up 7 days before the game. Sometimes I forget and someone will PM me or post in feedback, or someone will PM to ask me to put it up earlier. No problem with either of them.

I could do topics for the whole season's (known) games as soon as the fixtures come out, and move them over as and when. Makes no odds to me and it's no great chore doing them anyway.

Suppose a countdown timer could have it's uses, just not sure how necessary or feasible it'd be.

87:13

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 7, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »
I'm terribly biased when it comes to anyone slating Kenny, and to be honest apart from the owl, I don't think calling for the manager's head should be allowed full stop. Even if they dress it up in the modern parlance of "moved upstairs." RAWK in that sense to me should mirror the old fashioned values of LFC. I can understand how infuriating it must be at times when Geoff takes it upon himself to have a go at all the people who think they should be given free reign to attack anything and everything about the club. It might be a different era, but I'm happier reading posts like Geoff's than the pseudo intellectual smarmy comments attacking his philosphy and antiquated views. If I wanted to read threads constantly attacking the club, the players and the manager, I could pick 19 other league team's website to peruse. I think Geoff should change his username to King Canute though. That doesn't mean I'm against constructive debate, but there is a line that gets crossed far too often. Maybe it's the Me, Now generation, maybe it's the hangover from our recent battles against dodgy owners but it makes me sick that we might just be any other club now with the same old type of fans. Let people be educated in the Liverpool Way, and if they don't want to be and refuse to learn, fuck them off.

So what do I think RAWK should do? Bin any post calling for Kenny's head in any shape or form. Bin any post that attacks a player and not his performance. Bin most of the posts that I make. Encourage people to read the "Important Posts" thread. And give Al his own "Carra Watch" thread and Andy his own conspiracy theory thread that only they are allowed to post in.

I'd also like to add that I keep looking at the title and mumbling that Howard Jones 80's disco quiff classic What is love Anyway.

It's a forum where we discuss Rafa anyway..... :P

You would pick a fucking disco diva classic wouldn't you, yer fucking quim. At least get a bit of drum and bass on it yer arl twat

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVmbhYKDKfU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VVmbhYKDKfU</a>

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 7, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »
Interesting, but not sure how practical it would be.

The Ticket Exchanges are due to go up 7 days before the game. Sometimes I forget and someone will PM me or post in feedback, or someone will PM to ask me to put it up earlier. No problem with either of them.

I could do topics for the whole season's (known) games as soon as the fixtures come out, and move them over as and when. Makes no odds to me and it's no great chore doing them anyway.

Suppose a countdown timer could have it's uses, just not sure how necessary or feasible it'd be.

Fair enough Barney, it was just a though.

I think it would work in a wider sense though, as a tool for cooling off posters, and cooling a thread off for  X amount of hours, to take the sting and the bile out of some situation.
Too many threads get perma-locked because of a few idiots shouting the loudest, whilst everyone else suffers because of it.

Take the heat out of the debate, and start off again 24 hours later when everyone has a cool head, or has sobered up.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 7, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »
On transfer topics, I'd say it depends on the source and how on-topic it stays.

87:13

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #75 on: May 7, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »
I feel people should be able to express their views as they see fit provided there is thought and substance in the post. What really irrates me is people throwing insults and swearing at other posters there's just no need. Everyone has a right to express their opinion.
Frequent abusers should get a 3 strikes and your out (permanent ban) mark them in some way. I used to post on Rawk a lot an ave just come back. Left because a lot of posts weren't thought through and ended up in a slanging match or going round in circles.
I also feel that criticising the manager and players is fine providing it is done the right way, to much rose tinted glasses on here for my liking. Your made to feel like your betraying the club if you voice an opinion that doesn't sit with others opinions.

On the whole it's a great site, hence me posting again

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 7, 2012, 10:14:39 pm »
Ban anyone that writes less than 5 words and hits reply.
Ban anyone that quotes half a page from someone else and says "this"...in fact a double banning because they've also contravened the first rule.
Ban anyone that says "whopper", particularly if that's also the only thing they've said (as above).
Ban anyone that goes into a hissy fit just because someone disagrees with them.  If it's a mod in said hissy fit, self-bannings should be expected.
Ban anyone that says anything cliched.
Ban anyone that joins in berating someone whose saying something controversial - if well reasoned - just because they can then pretend they know something about football.
Ban anyone that sucks up to the mods.
Ban anyone that sucks up to non-mods.

This place needs a good banning binge.
Fill yer boots.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #77 on: May 7, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »
My two penneth is this - I'd just carry on as you are to be honest, don't sweat it.

WUMs seem to get banned. Abusive posters get sin binned and either come back a bit more tolerant or end up banned. At the same time, some new members naturally get added to your mental 'worth reading' list.

I wouldn't worry about the cream rising to the top. It does so naturally for each individual user (after all, one user's double cream is another user's sour yak's milk). So once you've been round the block a few times, it's easy enough to open a topic and skim down the side looking for those who, in your opinion, are knowledgeable, interesting or funny. It's dead easy in fact...there's only two of 'em!

Seriously though, i reckon it serves it's purpose pretty well. First port of call for breaking LFC news, great for reading different opinions on virtually everything related to the club and being able to get involved in discussions, and sometimes laugh out loud funny. It's alright y'know. I've read others & they're a bit shite. Except the Anfield Wrap...that's boss. But it's not the same thing is it.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #78 on: May 7, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »
If I wanted to read threads constantly attacking the club, the players and the manager, I could pick 19 other league team's website to peruse. I think Geoff should change his username to King Canute though. That doesn't mean I'm against constructive debate, but there is a line that gets crossed far too often. Maybe it's the Me, Now generation, maybe it's the hangover from our recent battles against dodgy owners but it makes me sick that we might just be any other club now with the same old type of fans. Let people be educated in the Liverpool Way, and if they don't want to be and refuse to learn, fuck them off.

So what do I think RAWK should do? Bin any post calling for Kenny's head in any shape or form. Bin any post that attacks a player and not his performance. Bin most of the posts that I make. Encourage people to read the "Important Posts" thread. And give Al his own "Carra Watch" thread and Andy his own conspiracy theory thread that only they are allowed to post in.

:D

Bar the humorous bits, I completely agree. And even the humorous bits would be good!

Especially agree with the bold bits.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 7, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »
On transfer topics, I'd say it depends on the source and how on-topic it stays.

That's a no then...... ;D
Certainly wouldn't allow it near the main board.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.