Author Topic: Football fans and Support  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Football fans and Support
« on: November 7, 2011, 11:14:01 am »
Is it actually mandatory for football fans to publically cry and whine these days?

And I'm not blaming the fans here. The situation in the past when the Internet didn't exist, mobile phones weren't around and the only news you heard about other matches were from the Pink Echo, Match of the Day, the Radio and the bigger papers the next morning has gone.

THE OLDEN DAY MATCH GOING FAN

In those days you had people going to the match, listening to the radio, reading the Echo before kickoff and trying to find out what was ahead for the day.

You'd meet your mates uncertain of the lineups (Unless someone had had a whisper) and would maybe get a bit of the BBC or ITV presenting some news of the day. You'd head to the match and would only be aware of any other scores at half time and full time when they were announced then you'd head to the pub to meet up with your mates. There you'd probably get the final score - or really way back when a Teletext screen with the scores on.

You'd talk about the game - maybe have a bit of a moan then buy the Pink Echo when the sellers got to the pubs. That would be the first you'd see of anything in print and you'd discuss it and other things. Things sometimes got quite heated then you'd head to town and have a few more beers before heading off home.

If you'd been to the match then you wouldn't hear people on the phone-ins (To be honest I'm not even sure they had them back then - I certainly never listened to any having been to the match) and you'd wake up the next day maybe watching MOTD if you'd taped it or seen it in a pub when you were out.

And then you'd largely forget about it until you got to work and talked about the game. The only moaning you did was to your mates. But whatever was said would be tempered by calming down after the event, reflection, ideas of what others have said and time to let it sink in.

PUBLIC MOANING: VIRTUALLY NIL. No real opportunity.

THE OLDEN DAY LOCAL NON-MATCH GOING FAN

People who lived in the area would get access to the game from the radio. It was partisan and local. You'd hear the lineups and discussion of the pundits and then hear the match kick by kick. At full time if you moaned it would be to the local radio station (If phone ins were on - again I'm not sure) and then you'd wait to watch Match of the day - probably seeing the Final Score at around 17:00. You might moan at your cat or your missus but would only really talk about the game the next week in work or school or whatever. But whatever was said would be tempered by calming down after the event, reflection, ideas of what others have said and time to let it sink in.

THE OLDEN DAY NON-LOCAL NON-MATCH GOING FAN

You'd get access to the National Papers. Local radio stations wouldn't cover Liverpool unless they were playing your local team. You'd hear the match on the radio if you were lucky. You'd see the final score and Match of the Day. Any discussion would be based on those snippets. But whatever was said would be tempered by calming down after the event, reflection, ideas of what others have said and time to let it sink in.

Nowdays you go to the match. The Internet exists so you'd get a wealth of information and stats before you head to the match. On route you'd be able to surf and get texts from people proposing stuff. You might logon to a forum like this and debate the last match, the game coming and other teams that have an impact on your result. When you've got to the game there are a load of people you are mates with that have already had access to 20 different sources of information. You get to the game and normally know the team before you get there. You get updates of all the goals in the league and by the time you've left you have had a chance to read the report already. You get to the pub and Sly Sports is on with all the goal updates. You already know all the pertinant scores. People that go to the match, that are local or non-local all get a chance not only to hear the match - but quite often they get to see the match. Not only that they have instant and complete access to the Public view. Whatever jumps into their heads the second it happens. Sometimes I have left the ground a bit angry or pissed off, but by the time I get to the pub I've thought about it a bit more, looked at positives and started to formulate questions to my mates that were better places in the ground. But for those less inclined to be patient, if you wanted you could logon and post immediately. The situation is even harder for the people at home. They are sat in a little bubble with footy in it. They see things and they react. How many times have we been winning and it's all WOW WOW WOW!! WE ARE ACE! Only to see us lose the game in the second half and see NNOOOOO!!! NOOOOO!!! SACK EVERYONE!!! AAAAHHH!!

I'm not blaming these fans - they have instant access and it's a microanalitical view of their views THAT VERY SECOND. But it's there set in stone. Quite often you might see a thread where someone is acting like 'An idiot' with wildly varying positives and negatives. But if they had been forced to sit and think and weigh up then later on a post might show that they've been able to reconsider their original views. Or not. But others don't see that - they just see what was said at the time for that moment of capture at that time.

Everyone is guilty of this online. We've all been positive and made up and then pissed off and gutted to be positive and made up again. That's what happens at the game - the only difference is when you're at the game you don't normally get a chance to immediately moan/crow online.

That's probably why people that go to the game come out with better more objective, more reasonable views. Not because they are more objective or more reasonable - but because they've had the time to get away from the ground, talk it over with others that went, go home, think and then post on what they think and what their views are.

If we think of it that way then it's really not the people that have changed (Everyone always moaned after bad results in the pub near the grounds) but the technology has been able to let you say what you think when you haven't had time to think clearly. It gets worse as well - once a view has been opined then people feel a need to 'Stick to it' - quite probably many look at their earlier posts and think "Shit.." when when they get pulled up on it that's where the mental arguments appear - one person defending a load of shite and others putting the boot in :D

That's all the fun of forums though and of technology these days.

So don't blame the poster. Blame the technology to allow them to show people when they are not at their best.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline loveisreal

• manloveisrealtoo. Takin' Bascombe to taskombe.
  • Kopite
Re: Football fans and Support
« Reply #1 on: November 7, 2011, 11:21:10 am »
supporting liverpool was better in the 70s and 80s shock.

Offline David H

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2011, 11:32:50 am »
Everytime i go to the match(every home game) i am surrounded by bellends who are only looking for the opportunity to have a go at one of our players, against swansea i had people telling kenny to fuck off and calling him a scottish twat which nearly made me leave 20mins before the end because i just could not stand all this bollocks from our so called fans, I'm sure it was very different back in the 70s and 80s like you are saying but alot of match going reds these days are pretty similar to the people slagging off the team on the internet.

Offline Twiggthemanc

• Thinks that Evra's by far a better left back than Evra. Definitely.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2011, 11:53:30 am »
Nothing I love more than going to the games with my Dad. Sure going with my mates is a laugh, but love the feeling of driving up to the game with my old man, stopping for some chips, and getting some bovril at Half time (used to be a pie as well, not that anymore)

I still think nothing beats going to the game, sure the atmosphere is sometimes shit, and there's some right knobs around, but just being there feels awesome. Hell I bumped into Chis Smalling outside the ground on Saturday, and felt giddy as I would when I was about 11.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2011, 11:57:20 am »
Hell I bumped into Chis Smalling outside the ground on Saturday, and felt giddy as I would when I was about 11.

Why wouldn't you. It's not every day you get to meet the new Cafu.

Offline general change if that's easier

• Kopite
  • "And there will be four added minutes..."
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2011, 12:25:13 pm »
I feel like a right c*nt posting this and will probably be hung drawn and quartered for it but...

I've seen a decline in the 'quality' of Liverpool support in the last 2-3 years. Though my posts won't show it, I have been reading RAWK for coming up to three years soonish, and I've never seen the same amount of shite that is being spouted in the main forum or vitriol towards other supporters. Not even during Hodgson's tenure or the end of Rafa's season where people this negative and quick to judge ( but obviously everyone had realised Hodgson was a joke and was just waiting for him to be sacked). Now I know I'll just be told they are internet fans and don't sum up the "proper" Liverpool supporters, but you're wrong. They do. Whether you like it or not, they are just as much of a fan as anyone else. The only way match going reds have a superior view is because they can see the whole team during the whole 90 minutes, so they can see both teams movements and structure a lot better. This means that those fuckwit cunting bellends on the main board are representatives of OUR club to their friends and acquaintances which makes me sick knowing people form their opinion of Liverpool because of them.

And I really shouldn't say this next part but its what I feel and needs to be said, even if it is coming from a bloody stream watching super fan idiot.

Anfield was dead on Saturday and it has been a fair bit this season. I'm sorry but its true. The thing is though, I don't know how it has happened. Last season and the season before it was great, so with the reintroduction of Kenny as manager, a positive feel around the club, looking upwards to success, it is perplexing that it should have changed so quickly.

I just really hope that those lucky enough to be able to go the game can rediscover what was fantastic support over the past seasons because I think they have and will continue to be a huge lift to the team. I mean lets face it, Anfield isn't the fortress, the supporters that fill it are.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 7, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »
Check out the first letter in the football365 mailbox this morning for a perfect example of modern day support.

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/7296930/Mailbox
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #7 on: November 7, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »
This means that those fuckwit cunting bellends on the main board are representatives of OUR club to their friends and acquaintances which makes me sick knowing people form their opinion of Liverpool because of them.
This is so true, it winds me up when people approach me as a Liverpool supporter and think that Iv been mouthing about us winning the league our wanting Rafa out our any other hysterical fan based opinion.

It was interesting I was in the pub watching the game on Saturday, it was showing both Liverpool and United games and the difference in both fans reactions during the game was huge, the United crowd were waiting patiently for their goal to come even though they were playing utter tripe, while I was sitting among a bunch of agitated whigebags so quick to jump on a player for any stray pass our poor first touch, for me this sort of mentality has a trickle down and trickle up effect because its the exact same at the game.

Offline David H

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2011, 12:48:31 pm »
I feel like a right c*nt posting this and will probably be hung drawn and quartered for it but...

I've seen a decline in the 'quality' of Liverpool support in the last 2-3 years. Though my posts won't show it, I have been reading RAWK for coming up to three years soonish, and I've never seen the same amount of shite that is being spouted in the main forum or vitriol towards other supporters. Not even during Hodgson's tenure or the end of Rafa's season where people this negative and quick to judge ( but obviously everyone had realised Hodgson was a joke and was just waiting for him to be sacked). Now I know I'll just be told they are internet fans and don't sum up the "proper" Liverpool supporters, but you're wrong. They do. Whether you like it or not, they are just as much of a fan as anyone else. The only way match going reds have a superior view is because they can see the whole team during the whole 90 minutes, so they can see both teams movements and structure a lot better. This means that those fuckwit cunting bellends on the main board are representatives of OUR club to their friends and acquaintances which makes me sick knowing people form their opinion of Liverpool because of them.

And I really shouldn't say this next part but its what I feel and needs to be said, even if it is coming from a bloody stream watching super fan idiot.

Anfield was dead on Saturday and it has been a fair bit this season. I'm sorry but its true. The thing is though, I don't know how it has happened. Last season and the season before it was great, so with the reintroduction of Kenny as manager, a positive feel around the club, looking upwards to success, it is perplexing that it should have changed so quickly.

I just really hope that those lucky enough to be able to go the game can rediscover what was fantastic support over the past seasons because I think they have and will continue to be a huge lift to the team. I mean lets face it, Anfield isn't the fortress, the supporters that fill it are.

The atmosphere for norwich and swansea was awful but for the rest of the home games it hasnt been as bad as you probably think.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #9 on: November 7, 2011, 12:54:32 pm »

My dad grew up on the old Kop and has told me countless stories of the 70s and 80s and used to take me to games when I was a kid. He always taught me that if you're going to the game, you go to support the team and cheer them on and get involved with the atmosphere so he had me singing songs when I was 8 years old on the Kop and giving me tapes to listen to at home of the songs to sing.

These days, more people go to simply just watch the game and not get behind the team like the old famous Kop did which is why only a portion of the Kop will sing. On Saturday, the atmosphere was shite and it's the first time this season I've heard 304 be so quiet. I go, sing the songs and cheer the team and I won't get on their backs because it's not productive.

I had two old Irish guys next to me and an Indian family behind me. None of them sang save for YNWA and the Irish guys were moaning and cursing every time a wayward pass was played or even a through ball that still eventually met the intended player. The atmosphere has gone down hill because of the drop in locals, I imagine. I don't live in Liverpool but I was still brought up by my scouse Dad to all the old teachings, as it were.

Going around the ground before kick off, there are so many foreigners. The majority I see are Norwegian or other Europeans, Asians, etc all with club shop bags and their cameras. They've mainly come to see the famous stars, not charge the team up. I know it's probably a generalisation but from my experiences, that's what I've encountered. It's all good for the club of course with the money that's being spent but the atmosphere has suffered as a result. Away matches are a lot better atmosphere wise and I'm seriously thinking of just sticking to them because I get quite wound up at home games.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 7, 2011, 12:58:23 pm »
It has nothing to do with football and everything to do with the way society has changed.

You could replace it with just about anything - political awareness of the nation, attitudes towards money and finances, the roads, education, films...it's not really complaining about football support and more to do with how we have information overload.

We have information but lack knowledge, we have education but lack wisdom and we have money but lack wealth.

Things were always better before because that's what you're used to and that's what worked for you. The kids growing up today will probably bitch in 40 years time about how things were simpler when you 'only' had Twitter and forums to moan on, whereas in the future there'll be some next stage crap that'll offend them.

I'm pretty sure when you were going the game in the 70s, there were arlarses moaning in the pub about how the radio gave people who didn't go to the match a different opinion and that it was better when you only had a brief column in the paper that shared the result.

That's life.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11 on: November 7, 2011, 01:14:38 pm »
It has nothing to do with football and everything to do with the way society has changed.

I’d agree with that in the main. So many people these days seem to lack patience. They just want everything here and now and over-analyse things to the nth degree if it doesn’t happen.

I’m frustrated with the last 2 home draws, same as all of us but I don’t see the point in bleating about it. I know we’ve spent a lot of money on players but that’s no guarantee, especially in the current climate. I’m trying to be fairly neutral about it all because in the cold light of day we’ve lost 3 or 4 quality players from 3 years ago so in logical terms we shouldn’t be expecting to be at the same level. In that timeframe we’ve also seen the emergence of City and to a lesser extent Spurs making less margin for error and more competitors. Then I think back to this time last year and I’m just grateful that we can moan about on the pitch matters.

A bit of a general rant, and apologies for that but in the grand scheme of things I think we’re in about an average position. All the negative comments and people questioning Kenny’s position etc for me just smacks of people being spoilt and greedy.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 7, 2011, 01:16:29 pm »
Anyone questioning Kenny's position is a knob. It's obvious what he's trying to do and it's all down to a matter of opinion as to how you would achieve what Kenny's trying.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: November 7, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »
Anyone questioning Kenny's position is a knob. It's obvious what he's trying to do and it's all down to a matter of opinion as to how you would achieve what Kenny's trying.

Hopefully not many are – I just read the headline from that F365 link posted above and couldn’t even bring myself to click on it. I’m not sure what the consensus is on here either, haven’t read much on t since the weekend.

My fear is people were expecting miracles when Kenny took over as if he could just wave a magic wand and put us top of the league despite it being more competitive than ever.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #14 on: November 7, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »

Agreed. There are only two managers out there in modern day football who really understands us and that is Kenny and Rafa. If it was the other way round and Rafa was in charge at the moment, people would no doubt be calling for Kenny. I'm trying to steer clear from certain articles on websites and avoiding looking at some idiotic comments that are no doubt below them. I also stay away from certain threads on here.

We've just totally revamped the squad and it is gonna take time. I'm dubious about some of the signings and every manager does make dud signings (not saying that Kenny has, specifically) but just because it's Kenny, it doesn't mean he's gonna get it right first time, every time. Not everything he does is gonna be perfect.

We have a good squad where the foundation has now be laid and we can build upon it. Killer_heels wrote something similar in another thread and that we can now go out and buy some top quality signings as we have the bases of the squad pretty much sorted.

In January, we could go buy some world class signings, who knows? We still have 7 months of the season left.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #15 on: November 7, 2011, 02:05:25 pm »
I'm pretty sure when you were going the game in the 70s, there were arlarses moaning in the pub about how the radio gave people who didn't go to the match a different opinion and that it was better when you only had a brief column in the paper that shared the result.

Indeed there were. That's why I mentioned it in the OP.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #16 on: November 7, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »
I'd imagine Liverpool have a higher percentage of older fans than any other club in the country. Blokes who have had ST's for a thousand years because they know if they ever gave them up they'd never get them back again. half of them have probably forgotten why they go the game.
 Certainly where I sit in the Upper Centenary there are loads of those sage, seen-it-all-before types who appear to think they are above supporting the team vocally.
 That's not the whole problem though. I've sat in other parts of the ground and have been gobsmacked to find myself sitting next to young lads who don't utter a word for 90 minutes. I well recall one time in the Anfield Rd end a few years ago and the bloke next to me said fuck all to anyone the whole game, I thought he was on his own until about 5 minutes before the end he said to the bloke next to him "shall we get off?". Fucking hell, go the game with your mate and blank the c*nt for 2 hours!
 It's a world of difference to when us older fans were first following the team, part of your education was standing on a packed Kop or in an away end singing until you were hoarse, getting lashed all over the place, covered in sweat etc....today's younger fan misses out on all that and that's sad I think.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 7, 2011, 02:31:42 pm »
jaff, stop it i long for them days lad, an the goal cellebrations ok not all of them but fukkin hell ending up yards down from where you was origanally when a big goal went in,  remember taking a bird with me to a game early 90s  an she confessed afterwards  she was  praying we wouldnt score again....women hey lol
took another mate of a mate  once on the standing  kop  not a red at all  an admitted he was physically drained  for a day or so  ha ha
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #18 on: November 7, 2011, 03:11:33 pm »

They want to be ashamed of themselves
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #19 on: November 7, 2011, 03:25:09 pm »
They want to be ashamed of themselves

Again I think you shouldn't blame the fans that are coming out with it.

You have to remember some enjoy 'following' the club and do so just by what they are told to think by Match of the Day or Sly Sports or the Newspapers and other sources. They, perhaps, haven't got really the understanding of the game and the feel for what is really going on to be able to easily discount what is said by the 'Experts'.

I can see stuff on MOTD or Sly and think "That's a total crock of shite" - but if someone doesn't really understand enough or are casual enough that they can't refute it then they will end up repeating it.

And again - none of that is really a problem. The problem is that the mass media in the country (World) now allows people with bizarre and unfounded opinions to broadcast them to the World. Many Like that Jimmy Kuntwar for instance, do it in such a way that he's a self-proclaimed expert. Many will read it, see the nice formatting and professional output and think "Yeah! That's right"

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen garbage written or said by the likes of Antikop, Alan Brazil, Andy Gray, Colin Wanker, Alex Ferguson and others spouted back at me 'as truth'.

Offline Twiggthemanc

• Thinks that Evra's by far a better left back than Evra. Definitely.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 7, 2011, 03:33:00 pm »
The "fans" which do me over the most are the fans who go mad for transfers. Can't stand them.

There's two lads I follow on twitter who like you lot. All summer going mad over the latest transfers. Convinced Mata was going to be world class for you. one told me that N'Zogbia was wrapped up.

First game of the season you played Sunderland, both of them logged on AFTER the game and posted "What was the score then?". Both of them text me at 6-1. Neither of them have been Anfield in their life.

Don't get me wrong, I've United mates like that, but fuck me it's horrific.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #21 on: November 7, 2011, 03:33:08 pm »
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen garbage written or said by the likes of Antikop,

Have you seen his latest offering  ::)

« Last Edit: November 7, 2011, 03:36:04 pm by lfc_col »
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #22 on: November 7, 2011, 04:07:00 pm »
My dad grew up on the old Kop and has told me countless stories of the 70s and 80s and used to take me to games when I was a kid. He always taught me that if you're going to the game, you go to support the team and cheer them on and get involved with the atmosphere so he had me singing songs when I was 8 years old on the Kop and giving me tapes to listen to at home of the songs to sing.

Not having a go at you mate or your post, but in the 70s and 80s it was a hell of a lot easier to support the team when they were winning everything in sight. Not defending the people who moan at games and all that, I couldnt care less these days, fell out of love with football a long time ago. In the 70s and 80s as well, people werent paying the rather expensive ticket prices they are now either. Perhaps a lot of them feel as though they should be entertained or at least see players giving 100%, i dont know why they moan. Im just saying thats all.

I stopped going because I refuse to pay the money for a ticket anymore, just dont want to. Still love the club and all that, I just fell out of love with football a long time ago, the players being over paid ponces, so precious most of them and while I want Liverpool to win everything in sight again,  I cant justify to myself paying 40 quid or whatever to go and watch a game of football. Not when ive got 4 kids who i could spend that money on in better ways I think. The atmosphere was normally shite as well as it is these days and i had a better time watching it down the pub with mates with a few pints down my neck. Nothing wrong with that I dont think.

People are entitled a moan though, and you cant really moan at them for having one! If someones shite, thats there opinion, let them have it. Same as you'd expect to let someone else let you have yours? Doesnt effect your life in anyway so ignore it.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: November 7, 2011, 04:14:56 pm »
Have you seen his latest offering  ::)

No - I might have a read of it for a laugh. His last one was hilarious.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24 on: November 7, 2011, 04:17:21 pm »
People are entitled a moan though, and you cant really moan at them for having one! If someones shite, thats there opinion, let them have it. Same as you'd expect to let someone else let you have yours? Doesnt effect your life in anyway so ignore it.

I agree with you that "If someone's shite, that's their opinion.."

BUT only if it is THEIR opinion. If it's something they've read that they've repeated then that's when people rail against it a bit. And again is that really their fault? They see someone like Gray or Brazil or Warnock or Ferguson - involved in the game for donkeys years - surely as ex-professionals they'd be clued up (Is what some people think). They fail to realise that a lot of ex-footballers are pretty thick and they forget that many have an agenda, alliances, bias and some just want to cause controversy to 'get the debate going'.

Offline pistolpete

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: November 7, 2011, 04:28:44 pm »
I agree with you that "If someone's shite, that's their opinion.."

BUT only if it is THEIR opinion. If it's something they've read that they've repeated then that's when people rail against it a bit. And again is that really their fault? They see someone like Gray or Brazil or Warnock or Ferguson - involved in the game for donkeys years - surely as ex-professionals they'd be clued up (Is what some people think). They fail to realise that a lot of ex-footballers are pretty thick and they forget that many have an agenda, alliances, bias and some just want to cause controversy to 'get the debate going'.

Football opinions taxonomy/hierarchy (there will be some exceptions):

Professional managers/coaches
Professional players

Amateur managers/coaches/players

match going fans/decent sports journalists

tv watching fans

gutter press
siempre es possible

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 8, 2011, 12:11:30 am »
Brought  back memories of loads of half cut lads rushing to get the pink echo off the fat old fella wearing a cap yelling "football echo endlessly" in the cabbage after the game and hearing everyone moan about kvarme and babb whilst being handed a lemonade out the window from my dad haha.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 12:13:41 am by The Jolly Boys Outing »
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #27 on: November 8, 2011, 03:19:40 am »
Brought  back memories of loads of half cut lads rushing to get the pink echo off the fat old fella wearing a cap yelling "football echo endlessly" in the cabbage after the game and hearing everyone moan about kvarme and babb whilst being handed a lemonade out the window from my dad haha.
In one...

That was the only way you'd hear of how all the the other teams got on, if you you were on your way home from the match.
Other than that it was Grandstand or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 03:21:59 am by Terry De Niro »

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #28 on: November 8, 2011, 04:54:46 pm »
I actually enjoyed reading these posts

even if they are negative

they are honest negative posts without any nonsense vitriol

cheers

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29 on: November 8, 2011, 06:37:06 pm »
Part of the problem is there is an overdose of football, thanks to Sky you can't get away from it. Banging in your face 24 hours a day, "news", rumours, made up crap, sensentialism stories that arn't even stories. Then on the radio too, you could actually spend 48 hours listening to nothing but football, bloody overkill in my opinion. That's even before we get on to ex-footballers who become in the most part clue-less pundits, who only think short-term. This in turn encourages people who find it hard to think for themselves, mainly because Sky and others are doing it for them, then lose all reason and start demanding the impossible. Therefore you have people who are never happy as a result.

I loved watching the football in the 70's and 80's football had bigger personalities, most managers knew how to lose, without ending up on the front page. While I take the point of it being easier as a Liverpool supporter thanks to the success we enjoyed then, and let's face we took it for granted, football then had to take it's place alongside other past-times. There fore there was room for other sport to survive with football.  Add to that you could get in on the day, go with your mates, sing all the songs. Now to many people treat football like theatre, they pay their money and sit back waiting to be entertained.

The 2009 season was the last one I attended, and by then it was getting past the joke. People talking on their mobiles while YNWA played, screaming abuse at players within fifteen minutes of the game starting. By the sound of it, it seems little better now, it would seem that a lot of people see the whole experience as a entertainment, rather than something that they are part of therefore "support" to them is just being there, rather than playing their part and backing the team. Sadly I can't see it getting any better either.       
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #30 on: November 8, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »
We had the special, the ordinary, dodgy tickets,  great songs, a sense of being part of something, we had fashion, we had dodgy away games, we had scrapping, we had brilliant laughs and everything felt like it was the first time(even if it was your 5th time to that ground) all the time.

Nowadays, it's shite. The most sanitised, dreary, flat, pile of steaming cows vomit that you could possibly not wish for - If, you'd experienced how good it used to be.

Oh, and we used to win stuff, but that was secondary to the laugh.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #31 on: November 8, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »
Its slightly off balance Andy because we were winning then. And We had the likes of Toshack&Keegan Rush&Dalgish Barnes&Aldridge

Its a completely different situation supporting us with or without the internet now. Some in coping with the drop in supremacy, come out with some right shit purely out of frustration.

Supporting Torquay United is the same now as it was in '86
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline recond1te

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: November 9, 2011, 05:52:30 pm »
As they have come, so they will go.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #34 on: May 8, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »
Given the angst recently with our league season, this thread might deserve a bump.

Was thinking the same thing today about fans and their expectations and remembered I'd posted this last year.