Author Topic: Being Rubbish  (Read 883 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Being Rubbish
« on: April 21, 2024, 09:56:51 am »
I have to be honest, those seasons where we have been properly shite have been my favourite. All the hangers-on and the 'glory' fans fuck off to their dark little shitholes and the proper fans band together and back the team to the hilt.

We'd remember the good times and we'd celebrate the odd win. I remember going to Southampton away and I think it was seven games in a row we didn't win and managed a spawny 1-0 and we all went nuts.

Being and top and challenging for evertyhing I find stressful. One slip up, one moment of imperfection and the fans are at each others throats the pretty much all Manc media are crowing and laughing and the windups from other fans is shite.

I don't support Liverpool to watch us win stuff - though that is great - I support Liverpool because I support Liverpool. It's not all about success and winning isn't everything.

For me, support of a club means getting behind them when the wheels do fall off. Clubs are allowed moments where they aren't great, where the rub of the green or more like PGMOL and the bent 115 fuckers go against you. The margins are so small now that a couple of missteps and you're out of everything. It's easy when things are going great, but the best times are when we have to pull together as a club and as fans and when we finally get a win and some points, it's an amazing feeling.

I'm probably absolutely on my own on this. But it's how I've always felt.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Being Rubbish
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 10:02:07 am »
Not at all. The football was mostly shite and it was often soul destroying on a weekly basis. Chronic underachievement is way worse than putting up with coffer-filling glory hunters. We’ve made the memories of lifetime under Kloppo, win or lose. I much prefer that to struggling to beat formidable teams like Northampton.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 10:03:33 am »
2002/03 that Southampton game? We were top end of October and didn’t win again until that Southampton game in late January I think!

I do know where you’re coming from although I think, not controversially, I prefer the seasons when we win stuff! But the stress of the runs in and the must win feel of all the games does take an emotional toll. The seasons when we do drop off and are (relatively) crap I can detach myself a bit more and try and just shrug it off without defeats getting to me the way something like the last couple of weeks have done. That’s from a non match going perspective of course.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 10:03:48 am »
I wouldn't say I enjoy 'rubbish' - I get your point though.

What I would say is this: I want us to win every pot going. I'm upset our kids never get to the latter stages of the Checkatrade. However... I think we're all a bit shattered after 8 years of going for top 4, the title, the cups, every game all season being meaningful and stressful. Again with the caveat that I want us to win it all, I wouldn't mind a season of being on our own in 3rd. 8 points off top, 8 ahead of 5th, we can cruise through spring 2025 and experiment a bit. A refresher season where we're not tense for months and agonising over ADFC or Arsenal results.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 10:11:20 am »
Completely agree, although I think it's not so much being at the top that is stressful, it's competing with a team who just don't drop points that is stressful. Like you say, ANY slip up and your heart sinks.

My most hated part of football nowadays though is the 'bantz'. Fans seem to exist for 'bantz' these days. I like to discuss football, especially with supporters of other teams, but these days that is almost impossible because people just want to enter a banter one-upmanship battle.

Those things combined, plus a growing realisation that watching football is a rather large time sink that sort of gets in the way of me achieving more personal and rewarding goals, are what have me questioning my continued investment in the game.

I said a few times (before his announcement) that I might walk away when Klopp does, that I mostly stuck around because I admire the man as a man (leaving football out of it completely) and I feel like anything that comes after will feel so much less, regardless of what happens on the pitch.

Also speaking of on the pitch, it might be because of the massive player turnover last summer, but I feel a lot less connection to this side than I did Klopps 'first' team. I don't really know why. Maybe it's easier to love a bunch of players that roar from nowhere to be brilliant, than it is to love a bunch of players just trying to maintain their level. I dunno.

But I digress.

For me football is far more enjoyable when you start a game knowing all results are more than possible, rather than having a massive expectation that you will win.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 10:29:29 am »
It's better when it's less stressful. Every dropped points being a disaster and your rivals winning every week is not enjoyable. I felt relief after Palace that we'd at least been spared the stress of the last 6 games. Then Arsenal lose to prolong the agony another week.

But we were shit last season and that wasn't great either. It was good though that when you did lose it wasn't the end of the world.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 10:43:26 am »
I dont think its stressful, i think its much better when we are good. I loved the title races of 21/22 and 18/19.

However i havent enjoyed this seasons title race and I think people need to acknowledge the emotion involved with whats going to happen.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 10:44:23 am »
It's better when it's less stressful. Every dropped points being a disaster and your rivals winning every week is not enjoyable. I felt relief after Palace that we'd at least been spared the stress of the last 6 games. Then Arsenal lose to prolong the agony another week.

But we were shit last season and that wasn't great either. It was good though that when you did lose it wasn't the end of the world.

Thats all fine, if the approach was nobody moans if we were shit. Fact is, that we do moan when we are shit, we moan a lot.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 10:53:49 am »
Great points - This season should be one of my favorites and remembered for all the kids standing up and being strong through the whole middle of the season - but that’s somehow not how it’s panning out around us - emotionally in general. I agree it seems we are wallowing in shit for some (many I guess?) reasons. You can really see why Klopp is knackered with it.  We should be enjoying this season as a great achievement. Remember where our expectations were when we thought we had no midfield?  When Allison got injured?  When young Conor was our right back? When Quansah was needed for CB?
We beat Chelsea to the cup with our kids everywhere.  No way were we supposed to be challenging the League deep into this season.

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 10:55:44 am »

I'm probably a masochist but I really enjoyed last season. After years of the stress of trying to be perfect, I found it really interesting to watch a team trying to re-evolve.

I will admit though that I love to watch sport for the adversity more than anything else.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 10:59:14 am »
Great points - This season should be one of my favorites and remembered for all the kids standing up and being strong through the whole middle of the season - but that’s somehow not how it’s panning out around us - emotionally in general. I agree it seems we are wallowing in shit for some (many I guess?) reasons. You can really see why Klopp is knackered with it.  We should be enjoying this season as a great achievement. Remember where our expectations were when we thought we had no midfield?  When Allison got injured?  When young Conor was our right back? When Quansah was needed for CB?
We beat Chelsea to the cup with our kids everywhere.  No way were we supposed to be challenging the League deep into this season.

Well said.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 11:09:04 am »
Season is not over yet.
Let's wait and see, and you can quote me on that.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2024, 11:19:32 am »
You aren't on your own Andy I think society in general has made some people entitled.

I guess it is stressful going for titles but if we draw/lose as long as we have given everything that is all you can ask for.

You get people counting points before we / others have got them and tbe game isnt like that otherwise there would be no point playing games !

Lets just hope the useless fuckers win at Fulham hey ?! 🤣🤣🤣

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2024, 12:00:37 pm »

I think if there was a poll, and fuck knows why you havent done one mate, you would get a lot of different answers  for favourite season

I think a lot to do with that is where one is in their personal life and their match watching experience

two of my favourite seasons as an adult at are 2014 (won fuck all) and 2001
In 2001 I was living in Glasgow with a mad Liverpool fan we got to a few games but mostly watched games in the pub up there.  We had a fantastic year together, we were in Dublin when Gary Mac scored that goal at goodison and will cherish the memory forever. The league cup final was an epic day for us which ended with the police putting us to bed

2014 I was living in Malaysia, where all games are televised.  2014 for non footballing reasons was the greatest year of my life, watching Suarez was the icing on the cake.

This year has been good, Ive loved it up until the epic Fulham game when I started to feel pressure and ended up breaking part of the stadium

Brighton was a great day too

Last Sunday I was a pathetic excuse for a fan and crumbled I spent the last 25 with my head in my jumper, run ins are horrible and Im hating it and all that comes with it.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2024, 12:12:54 pm »
Irony is if we hadn't been in the title picture I think people would have been a lot more relaxed this season. If we'd hung around 3rd all year comfortably 6+ points behind City throughout everyone would be fairly satisfied IMO, given the expectations going into the season. Silverware has also been nice but a collapse in recent weeks putting us out of two competitions we very possibly would have won and losing points to dross is bound to disappoint people. Last season when 4th place looked officially done from about January onwards I sort of enjoyed it a bit more, of course in March and April we went on a decent run, dragging us back in with a chance. Then it sort of became unenjoyable again. I don't know why that is, raising hopes just to likely have them dashed surely, but I'd always prefer to be in the mix for something as opposed to just being an also ran.

A crap season every once in a while probably won't ever annoy me like it used to given how intense some of Klopp's best years have been, of course you never really want them to happen though.

I do find it a bit weird how these (supposed  ::)) quadruple chasing seasons over the past few years haven't massively satisfied me though. They've been really fun rides for the most part but I did prefer the football of the earlier Klopp days, 2016 to 2019.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 12:16:46 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2024, 12:15:05 pm »
Irony is if we hadn't been in the title picture I think people would have been a lot more relaxed this season. If we'd hung around 3rd all year comfortably 6+ points behind City throughout everyone would be fairly satisfied IMO, given the expectations going into the season. Silverware has also been nice but a collapse in recent weeks putting us out of two competitions we very possibly would have won and losing points to dross is bound to disappoint people. Last season when 4th place looked officially done from about January onwards I sort of enjoyed it a bit more, of course in March and April we went on a decent run, dragging us back in with a chance. Then it sort of became unenjoyable again.

A crap season every once in a while probably won't ever annoy me like it used to given how intense some of Klopp's best years have been, of course you never really want them to happen though.
True, but- also it woud have made Atalanta even worse
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2024, 12:15:12 pm »
I have to be honest, those seasons where we have been properly shite have been my favourite. All the hangers-on and the 'glory' fans fuck off to their dark little shitholes and the proper fans band together and back the team to the hilt.

We'd remember the good times and we'd celebrate the odd win. I remember going to Southampton away and I think it was seven games in a row we didn't win and managed a spawny 1-0 and we all went nuts.

Being and top and challenging for evertyhing I find stressful. One slip up, one moment of imperfection and the fans are at each others throats the pretty much all Manc media are crowing and laughing and the windups from other fans is shite.

I don't support Liverpool to watch us win stuff - though that is great - I support Liverpool because I support Liverpool. It's not all about success and winning isn't everything.

For me, support of a club means getting behind them when the wheels do fall off. Clubs are allowed moments where they aren't great, where the rub of the green or more like PGMOL and the bent 115 fuckers go against you. The margins are so small now that a couple of missteps and you're out of everything. It's easy when things are going great, but the best times are when we have to pull together as a club and as fans and when we finally get a win and some points, it's an amazing feeling.

I'm probably absolutely on my own on this. But it's how I've always felt.
Sounds like you should support Everton to be honest  ;)

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2024, 12:22:50 pm »
True, but- also it woud have made Atalanta even worse

Was actually going to say that mate, yeah. United in the cup too. The Atalanta one was extra horrible because I already thought we'd blown our chance of winning the league. Like the whole thing collapsed in the space of a week. A comfortable top 3 finish and silverware is obviously decent but fail to win the league from here and I'd be completely lying if I said I'd be happy with how the season has panned out. Some would say it's throwing toys out the pram, but then again I/most of us here have grown up on successful Liverpool teams (which this one is of course).

Say we'd have finished 3rd and won the Europa League instead of the League Cup, I'd be a lot happier, that was my genuine expectation by the way. It's all ifs and buts though. Got some excitement/trepidation about what the new manager can do, Thursday night more than ever I was really pondering what the change would look like more than ever. Obviously you can think that when he literally only has six games left, but it's very interesting to see what perceptions of the manager would be when you look at how we've performed recently. All irrelevant really, but perhaps a conversation for another time.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2024, 12:33:41 pm »

I actually s/aid earlier in the season (to Jill IIRC) that we are at least on par with Arsenal so expected 2nd or 3rd place, I never thought we would be favourites for the title with 9 games left.

I did expect to win a cup based on the fact that CL qualification would be a breeze and we wouldnt be in a title race.

But here I am crumbling under the pressure

^   ^
thats literraly me watching us

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2024, 12:44:11 pm »
I have to be honest, those seasons where we have been properly shite have been my favourite.

Time to get Uncle Roy back in?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2024, 12:53:12 pm »
I can see your angle. Haven't gone anywhere near as much as I did under Rafa. Some of those were good days, but towards the end, it was desperate. Mostly to do with the boardroom upheaval. I felt like I had to be there to get behind the team, and try get the Cowboys out. Since we've got very good under Klopp, I've gone much less. My kids have been young to be fair, and it's been harder to go, bit it's almost like the team need me less. There's plenty of bandwagon jumpers to take my place. The opposite of a glory supporter, essentially.

Should I have been milking the good times? Maybe, but I don't feel bad about it. Would have been more difficult to stop going when the club was at risk of extinction.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2024, 01:09:58 pm »
Time to get Uncle Roy back in?

Now if you sampled that you really do know what rubbish is !

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2024, 02:40:52 pm »
You've gone off the deep end.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2024, 02:43:17 pm »
Go jump in the river. Always fuckin' moaning about something.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 12:09:57 pm »
First is first, last is better.

I get what you mean Andy, although no need to make a new topic on every thought. After a run of shitty results, or worse, shitty performances, a victory is cathartic.

However, you’ve chosen the wrong team if that’s your biggest thrill.

On the last day season, should victory guarantee us the league title, and we get that victory, it will be thrilling, much more so than a victory after a bad midseason run.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 01:25:28 pm »
Season is not over yet.
Let's wait and see, and you can quote me on that.

Taking this comment and adding it on to what people have said above I have really, really enjoyed this season and at times it's been heart breaking, frustrating, irritating, sad and left me feeling numb. It seems to have gone on forever. I can still remember hearing the news that Klopp was leaving while sitting in the accident and emergency department of the local city hospital and honestly it feels like 2 years ago. There are only 5 games now left but sure that's another season on it's own.
I can't remember pre season.
I remember Matip being outstanding at the start of this season. The first 10 -12 games (???) he was playing out of his skin ..... When was the last time you thought of Joel ? Quansah, the thought of him playing was panic inducing. Now he'd be in the team before Ibou for me. I can remember Trent, Allison, Robertson, Jota, starring, before they got long term injuries. Curtis was first on the team sheet. Szoboslai was playing like a dream eons ago .... both before injuries took them out. Mo was on a streak as hot and lethal before Afcon and injury as he is hesitant and unsure after months out. On and on I could go.
Clarke, Mc Connell, Danns, Kelleher, Bradley (where'd he come from?), Koumas all had their days of glory as the mayhem continued.
All of this and let's not get into VAR, Spurs, Arsenal penalty not given, Endo and the where did he come from .... One season ????? Not over ? I'll be gone before it's gone at this rate ...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 01:26:02 pm »
The thing with being in contention is that it will always stir uncomfortable emotion. Being on the edge of it looking in is far more comfortable. Personally, I prefer us being in the thick of it, because all I ever knew growing up was an LFC right in the thick of it. Even today we are still the most decorated club in English football and the most decorated English club in Europe. I'm Liverpool regardless of anything, but I do prefer it when we are challenging. It is stressful, though. Often very stressful.

Unfortunately, the sportswashers who are killing the game have made it more stressful than it ever should be. Take this season for instance. Take the 115s out of the picture and this is a great title chase by two very good sides (us and Arsenal) who despite being very good, will still be prone to dropped points. It would be exciting rather than draining. Sadly, the 115s being in the picture means everyone agonises over a creditable draw away to a massive rival and sees it as the end of the world. As it stands, we are agonizing over a decent 1-1 away in October because it could make all the difference in May. It's simply insane. The game is so completely skewed now. It's difficult to enjoy because being in contention brings with it so much stress over pretty much the entire season.

They say it's easy supporting a top club, but I think it's often easier to support a smaller, less successful club. Less expectation. Less worry and stress. Only a few really big games a season to contend with and stress over. A local derby, maybe a big cup draw. Other than that, those fans can just sit back without too much stress and maybe have a cheap laugh when their bigger and more successful rivals get pipped to the post by a sportswasher. Anything good along the way is a bonus. Those clubs and their fans start a season with everything to gain. Fans of clubs like Liverpool start the season with everything to lose.

Look at the media nonsense around us. While we are in four competitions we are 'going for the quad'. No, we're still in four competitions as it stands, but we've not made a quadruple our specific goal. The narrative is set, though. The pressure is on. We start the season with everything to lose, not with the hope of doing our best and seeing where it gets us.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.