Author Topic: Jari Litmanen  (Read 88339 times)

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jari Litmanen
« Reply #400 on: March 30, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »
Naw...Jari and fowler for me and Medal Thief and Heskey.

I wasn't adding Fowler to the equation as they were only at the club together for just over half a season, but those two did link up wonderfully on the very few occasions they played together.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #401 on: March 30, 2012, 12:59:58 pm »
I wasn't adding Fowler to the equation as they were only at the club together for just over half a season, but those two did link up wonderfully on the very few occasions they played together.
Deffo mate. To me, that was the starting two...then when the opposition was starting to tire you could bring on the pacey judas.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #402 on: March 31, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »
Would love an Ajax jersey with him on it. Around £80 for one with the Eredivise print though. Might actually get him on one of our kits. 

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #403 on: April 1, 2012, 12:11:30 am »
Would love an Ajax jersey with him on it. Around £80 for one with the Eredivise print though. Might actually get him on one of our kits. 
Got 2, and a Barca one :P
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline SuperScouse

• Anny Roader
  • Walk on through the wind
« Reply #405 on: May 18, 2012, 04:54:55 pm »

I check eBay every so often but nothing pops up. When I eventually go to Amsterdam i'm going to get an Ajax shirt there with Litmanen on the back :) Absolute legend.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2013, 02:33:11 pm »
TOP 10 Volley Goals by Incredible Jari Litmanen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQo9vIg83oU

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2013, 01:36:54 pm »
Great player.
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
« Reply #408 on: June 14, 2013, 01:57:50 pm »
Was just talking about Jari Litmanen at work.

I remember being at Selhurst Park when he made his debut as a substitute in a Worthington Cup semi-final.

Within minutes of coming on he slid through a delicious reverse pass whilst looking the other way to put Heskey in on goal...except Emile obviously never knew what a genius Jari was and didn't even see the pass coming.
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #409 on: June 14, 2013, 03:05:35 pm »
A crime he was under used at anfield.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #410 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »
Probably not the most influential player to play for Liverpool but without a doubt he is up there in terms of talent and by that I mean among Gerrard, Molby and Alonso Tier of talent.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #411 on: June 14, 2013, 06:09:04 pm »
I check eBay every so often but nothing pops up. When I eventually go to Amsterdam i'm going to get an Ajax shirt there with Litmanen on the back :) Absolute legend.

I have a Liverpool kit with Litmanen on the back from the time. I cherish it. :)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #412 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:45 pm »
I have a Liverpool kit with Litmanen on the back from the time. I cherish it. :)
I hate you...I have a Barca and an Ajax one, but not a Liverpool one.

I did however get on the Liverpool team bus and he signed my shirt though ;)

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: February 18, 2015, 06:51:57 pm »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #414 on: February 18, 2015, 06:59:26 pm »
I hate you...I have a Barca and an Ajax one, but not a Liverpool one.

I did however get on the Liverpool team bus and he signed my shirt though ;)

Hate you more. :(
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #415 on: February 18, 2015, 08:26:28 pm »
Hate you more. :(

Thats some long hatred.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #416 on: February 18, 2015, 08:29:35 pm »

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #417 on: February 19, 2015, 01:25:42 pm »
I loved Jari... a truly gifted and clever footballer that was under utilized at the club. Such a shame as he had the ability to unlock the tightest of defences.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #418 on: February 19, 2015, 01:32:11 pm »
I loved Jari... a truly gifted and clever footballer that was under utilized at the club. Such a shame as he had the ability to unlock the tightest of defences.
imagine him on this team

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: February 19, 2015, 02:13:32 pm »
imagine him on this team

I have.

By the way, there's a document Kuningas_Litmanen_(King_Litmanen)_DVD9 torr ...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nCb6LtEfGz4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nCb6LtEfGz4</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a-iBAePT1Pw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a-iBAePT1Pw</a>
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:17:51 pm by stara »
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #420 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:52 am »
I have.

By the way, there's a document Kuningas_Litmanen_(King_Litmanen)_DVD9 torr ...

Ohhh, is it in English?

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #421 on: March 1, 2015, 02:25:50 am »
Ohhh, is it in English?
Says there are English subs. I am downloading it now.

I have a video of him of his time at Ajax somewhere. I should upload it to youtube.

EDIT: I have it now, but there seem to be no English subs using VLC. The list shows 6 options but only one seems to work.
But there are English parts.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2015, 12:20:02 pm by alfonso »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Leosheer

• Main Stander
  • This is Anfield
« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2016, 01:36:10 pm »
Says there are English subs. I am downloading it now.

I have a video of him of his time at Ajax somewhere. I should upload it to youtube.

EDIT: I have it now, but there seem to be no English subs using VLC. The list shows 6 options but only one seems to work.
But there are English parts.

Mate did you ever upload to youtube?

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #423 on: August 7, 2018, 01:01:00 am »
How good was this guy? The most talented player I know of by far to play for LFC that barely made a lasting impression at the club at all (I'd argue Paul Ince is a candidate for nr 2 on that list, incidentally)

Litmanen was the proto-Coutinho I feel, and certainly not a worse player. A supreme world-class talent, but so ill-suited to our game plan at the time that his departure actually and counter-intuitively strengthened us as a team, within the framework we operated under at the time.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2018, 01:52:26 am by Bjornar »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: August 7, 2018, 01:52:04 pm »
Such a class player. I was nodding along there with everyrhing until the Ince should Bjonar mate!

Personally thought he was shite and a bit of a tosser. Was glad we moved on from him!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: August 7, 2018, 02:40:58 pm »
How good was this guy? The most talented player I know of by far to play for LFC that barely made a lasting impression at the club at all (I'd argue Paul Ince is a candidate for nr 2 on that list, incidentally)

Collymore is the supreme example of a waste of prodigious talent.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #426 on: August 7, 2018, 02:48:22 pm »
What an old fashioned out of the blue signing he was. :D

Was so excited for his debut, came off the bench at Palace in the League Cup and instantly set up one to get us back in the tie. Was an absolute pleasure seeing him pull the strings in the second leg. People say he didn’t suit our style but he actually played a fair bit in his first few months and made all those around him look better (Villa away when we ran riot with Gerrard and Murphy scoring).

He then got injured, I think playing for Finland at Anfield (or have I made that up!) and missed the rest of the season.

After that he struggled for game time the following season but made some useful cameos, none moreso than his great goal at Leverkusen that should have put us through. Who knows what that could have led to.

I think some are a bit unfair on Houllier when they blame him for driving Litmanen out of the club. He would have played more had he been fit for longer and by the time he returned we were in good form and Owen was very clearly the main man for us (not arguing Owen was more talented or anything, just our side was set up to get the best out of him).

Lovely player, lovely mullet.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #427 on: August 8, 2018, 07:47:34 pm »
I was nodding along there with everyrhing until the Ince should Bjonar mate!

Collymore is the supreme example of a waste of prodigious talent.

Thought I'd go for the controversial shout with Ince, in hindsight maybe a slightly dodgy one! Having said that, Ince seemed to have a great career everywhere he went apart from at LFC, while Collymore for all his inability to fit into our team got plenty of goals and arguably played some of his best football for us, unlike Ince.

I think some are a bit unfair on Houllier when they blame him for driving Litmanen out of the club.

I don't think he deserves any blame for Litmanen leaving, if anything he should be praised for signing him in the first place. But I think that in an alternate reality where Houllier was able to create his perfect team and take us to the title, it's hard to see Litmanen as a mainstay in that team, as Houllier was so wedded to a counter-attacking 4-4-2 and that was what he knew how to set up. So there was a limit to what Litmanen could achieve in a GH team, in my opinion.

Anyway, sublime player, the best one I've seen at LFC for vision and setting up chances together with Coutinho. Great striker of the ball too, especially remember him breaking a 0-0 deadlock against Spurs to win us the game with a late brilliant long range strike.

« Last Edit: August 8, 2018, 07:59:51 pm by Bjornar »

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #428 on: November 26, 2018, 03:32:32 pm »
Saw this article on BBC - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/8a55adb5-7be1-455e-92a7-b6c5dc6176f1?intc_type=promo&intc_location=sport&intc_campaign=bbcthree_mashupshirts&intc_linkname=bbcthree_yc_low_c1

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp4vSm1FleA/?utm_source=ig_embed

Ajax legend and Champions League winner Jari Litmanen also got the special shirt treatment earlier this month - a jersey by Dutch kit customisers Blood In Blood Out.
instagram

This shirt pulls together kits from the late '90s and early '00s from his days with Ajax, Liverpool and Barcelona.

Funnily enough, there was no special anniversary as an excuse to roll this design out – it was simply made for the love of mash-up kits, and as a gift for the Finn.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #429 on: November 26, 2018, 03:54:56 pm »
His goal at Leverkusen is one of our great ‘lost’ goals. Should be talked about as a brilliant individual goal that took us to the semis of the European Cup and instead I’m not even sure I’ve seen it since the night of the game!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #430 on: November 26, 2018, 04:11:59 pm »
His goal at Leverkusen is one of our great ‘lost’ goals. Should be talked about as a brilliant individual goal that took us to the semis of the European Cup and instead I’m not even sure I’ve seen it since the night of the game!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x262j88

6 mins

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #431 on: November 26, 2018, 08:24:17 pm »
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x262j88

6 mins

Thanks, I think!

Not quite as good as I remembered, but still nice to see, a bit like Fowler’s v Alaves. That Lucio goal was a horrible flashback!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #432 on: November 26, 2018, 10:17:54 pm »
Other great ‘lost goals’ I try to avoid seeing. Jimmy Case v Man United at Wembley, Sturridge v Sevilla, Aurelio v Chelsea....
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #433 on: November 26, 2018, 10:36:49 pm »
Other great ‘lost goals’ I try to avoid seeing. Jimmy Case v Man United at Wembley, Sturridge v Sevilla, Aurelio v Chelsea....

Mane v Real...

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #434 on: November 26, 2018, 10:40:18 pm »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2018, 10:49:34 pm »
Sturridge V Sevilla is the quintessential example of the 'lost goal' genre, up there with Crespo's second in Istanbul. Still upsets me to this day that Daniel's came to nothing. 

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #436 on: November 26, 2018, 11:01:48 pm »
Riise’s volley in the first minute in Cardiff in the League Cup final against Chelsea is another.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #437 on: November 26, 2018, 11:05:58 pm »
Nice goal, but a great goal?

Maybe be not great, but certainly lost.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: November 26, 2018, 11:23:49 pm »

Not quite the same stakes, but Salah vs Spurs last season. A mesmerising goal but the elation celebrating it disappeared like a minute later, and it does feel like a forgotten goal.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: November 26, 2018, 11:24:41 pm »
Thanks, I think!

Not quite as good as I remembered, but still nice to see, a bit like Fowler’s v Alaves. That Lucio goal was a horrible flashback!

That might be the first time I've seen more than a few seconds of that game. I think that was the biggest heartbreak I remember, growing up. Worse than 96 FA Cup, though that was probably an age thing.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4xmm6f better quality version here