Author Topic: The Kop in the Sixties  (Read 18635 times)

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
The Kop in the Sixties
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:33:58 pm »
One for the auld arses!

Thought this might be useful in the new history section too.

The questions only: http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/11/mastermind-the-kop-in-the-sixties/

And with answers: http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/11/the-kop-in-the-60s-quiz-answers/

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Kop in the Sixties
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:09:44 pm »
Good quiz I was too young for some of them but got more than half. But rather than just move the questions from another site over to the history section, would love someone to devise their own quiz or would love to see someone do a post about the kop in the Sixties or Seventies or use some of the quiz questions to write that post about your experiences as a Kopite in those days. One of the reasons we started the History section is to encourage posters to get their stories down for the next generation. I'd encourage anyone around them days to think about writing about them days. Over to you... 
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:18 pm »
Good quiz that, I got quite a lot right, although I'm only 40 and therefore far too young to remember the sixties. My knowledge comes from DVDs and books and stories from the arl arses in my family!

Offline Cato

• nine tails
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We got the Truth, then Justice. Now Accountability
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:23:30 pm »
I bet if you'd put that in the Arl Arse thread, they'd all have scored high marks!  :)
We kept believing and Justice is served.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:00:18 am »
Question 12. Name the European match famously played in thick fog at Anfield?

Answer - Ajax

WRONG. It was the first leg in Amsterdam (Wednesday 7th December 1966) that was played in the fog not the second leg at Anfield (Wednesday 14th December 1966). It was clear on the night of the second leg.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:05:15 am »

Answer - Ajax

WRONG. It was the first leg in Amsterdam (Wednesday 7th December 1966) that was played in the fog not the second leg at Anfield (Wednesday 14th December 1966). It was clear on the night of the second leg.

i thought the Kop were asking for updates from the Annie road Kris?

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 12:18:34 am »
i thought the Kop were asking for updates from the Annie road Kris?

No, Jed. That was the F.A. cup 4th Round replay against Walsall on Monday 19th February 1968 when thick fog threatened to have the match postponed. It wasn't possible to see the far end from the Kop so in answer to the Kop's chant of "Who scored the goal?", the Anfield Road end replied "Tony Hateley" after one of big Tony's two second-half goals at that end of the stadium. That might have happened after both of his goals at that end but it certainly happened after one of them.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 01:18:49 am by kriss »

Offline AFX

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:32:58 am »
Slightly off topic but the title made me think of this video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L7jcB_v5inc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L7jcB_v5inc</a>

If only it were like that today.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 12:48:27 am »
No, Jed. That was the F.A. cup 4th Round replay against Walsall on Monday 19th February 1968 when thick fog threatened to have the match postponed. It wasn't possible to see the far end from the Kop so in answer to the Kop's chant of "Who scored the goal?", the Anfield Road ended replied "Tony Hateley" after one of big Tony's two second-half goals at that end of the stadium. That might have happened after both of his goals at that end but it certainly happened after one of them.

Once again I am humbled by your superior knowledge Kriss, thank you! :wave

P.s do you get out much mate?  ;)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 01:17:18 am »
Once again I am humbled by your superior knowledge Kriss, thank you! :wave

P.s do you get out much mate?  ;)

Not since I had a stroke in 2006 which has severely restricted my mobility. But I still try to get to a few matches each season and when I go to Anfield next Thursday it will be the 84th Liverpool match I will have seen live since spending four months in hospital in 2006. My routine on matchdays has inevitably changed but I have never lost the love of going and I never will.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:02 am »

Answer - Ajax

correct, good piece here about it:

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3311

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 07:57:57 am »
Kriss is right that the foggy games were away to Ajax and home to Walsall.

The Daily Post actually started it's report of the home game against Ajax by, "With no fog to obscure the vision,.....". The most interesting thing about that game is that Liverpool played in yellow shirts, while Ajax stuck to their red and white.

For the Walsall game, the Kop responded to the Anfield Road End by singing the song by The Scaffold, "Thank you very much".

Anyone remember how you used to buy confectionary on the Kop?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:00:42 am by Manila Vanilla »

Offline Cato

• nine tails
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We got the Truth, then Justice. Now Accountability
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 08:09:46 am »
Oh yes! The throwing of the sweets! Imagine it now, with the corporates- "a glass of wine and a prawn sandwich please"
We kept believing and Justice is served.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 08:13:55 am »
Kriss is right that the foggy games were away to Ajax and home to Walsall.

The Daily Post actually started it's report of the home game against Ajax by, "With no fog to obscure the vision,.....". The most interesting thing about that game is that Liverpool played in yellow shirts, while Ajax stuck to their red and white.

For the Walsall game, the Kop responded to the Anfield Road End by singing the song by The Scaffold, "Thank you very much".

Anyone remember how you used to buy confectionary on the Kop?
I remember that one. You used to lob your money down to the sweets seller on the pitch ans they'd throw the chewy or sweets back up to you.
One of my great memories was being in  the boy's pen for the Inter Milan game - the atmosphere and hysteria on that night is legendary
and never to be surpassed. In those days the older lads used to try and bunk out of the pen into the Kop but the crush in the Kop was so bad
that grown men were climbing out of the Kop into the boys pen.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:13:41 am »
I remember that one. You used to lob your money down to the sweets seller on the pitch ans they'd throw the chewy or sweets back up to you.
One of my great memories was being in  the boy's pen for the Inter Milan game - the atmosphere and hysteria on that night is legendary
and never to be surpassed. In those days the older lads used to try and bunk out of the pen into the Kop but the crush in the Kop was so bad

1965 Inter Milan game in the boys pen, would love to have that story on RAWK, write it up, if you want any help pm me.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 11:09:38 am »

Answer - Ajax

Yes Bill Shankly actually walked onto the pitch in Ansterdam and spoke to some of the players without the Ref knowing
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 11:14:23 am »
Slightly off topic but the title made me think of this video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L7jcB_v5inc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L7jcB_v5inc</a>

If only it were like that today.

Did anybody else spot Stan Boardman when the camera zoomed in
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 11:32:20 am »

Was it you who nicked my programme?

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 11:45:35 am »
They had strange underwear back then.

How the heck do you tuck your pants into your socks?

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 12:23:22 pm »
Yes Bill Shankly actually walked onto the pitch in Ansterdam and spoke to some of the players without the Ref knowing

I recall when LFC flew back into the airport the press interviewed Shanks over the loss. Shanks we where robbed ! Reporter, robbed ? Yes due to us being in white shirts, this was a massive advantage to Ajax. Surely it was to LFCs advantage as the LFC shirts made in easier to see.  Yes son exactly Ajax knew  where not to put the ball.

Went to the return leg at Anfield, think Bobby Gragham played and that was our first double defeat over 2 legs in Europe.

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 05:51:38 pm »
I was at the second leg and to see the very young
Cruyff was a bit special.
The gates were closed very early, I was with my
girlfriend,  now my wife and got nowhere near the kop
so it was in the old paddock in front of the main stand.

Another night with some workmates and we were all
working nights and I had a pack of butties inside my
donkey jacket.
Came out of the kop and they were about half inch thick
but a foot long and 9inches wide.

Us playing Celtic in a European wednesday night game.
Go in with my two mates and behind were we always stood
were two Celtic fans. Flags across their shoulders, scarves wrapped around
their wrists. Nobody within 20 yards of them.
Up come two police, one copper says come on you can`t stay here.
One fan says we won`t cause trouble, just want to experience the kop.
The copper says, fuck off you soft c*nt, you won`t last 5 minutes
and they were hauled off.

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »
some quality stories/quotes in here, keep em coming giving me a right laugh ;D
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 10:01:25 pm »
I recall when LFC flew back into the airport the press interviewed Shanks over the loss. Shanks we where robbed ! Reporter, robbed ? Yes due to us being in white shirts, this was a massive advantage to Ajax. Surely it was to LFCs advantage as the LFC shirts made in easier to see.  Yes son exactly Ajax knew  where not to put the ball.

Went to the return leg at Anfield, think Bobby Gragham played and that was our first double defeat over 2 legs in Europe.

We actually drew the 2nd leg 2-2;think Roger Hunt got both goals.
Knew all answers to the quiz except Maurice Setters-have no recollection of that at all.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 10:06:21 pm »

we didn't lose at Anfield we drew 2-2

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »
We actually drew the 2nd leg 2-2;think Roger Hunt got both goals.
Knew all answers to the quiz except Maurice Setters-have no recollection of that at all.

He reminded me of a bouncer, he lookd more like a boxer, he certainly wasn't a footballer

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 10:18:06 pm »
Were there away sections in the 60s?

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 10:41:37 pm »
He reminded me of a bouncer, he lookd more like a boxer, he certainly wasn't a footballer

Just found this picture of him

Offline AULD-OLDIE

• Anny Roader
  • Quiza-un-dia
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:27 pm »

Answer - Ajax

Correct, it was the 1st leg, you couldn't see the half way line. People who stayed in the hotel bar had a better view !!
Finished 5 - 1 (Lawler scored for us) !!
Truth - 12.09.2012.
Now for JUSTICE !

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 11:05:52 am »

Answer - Ajax

Disagree with that. It was really foggy for the second leg as well. I was in the anny and you coudn't see the Kop. Peter Thompson hit the bar and it caused a crush on the Kop. From the anny all you could see were lads coming out the the mist round the edge of the pitch who had been taken out the Kop.

k at ith th

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 11:25:50 am »
1: The Walrus
2: I am the Walrus
3: I can't remember, but I'm very drunk right now
4: We had funny piss taking songs for everyone.
5: Are you serious? It's part of our folk lore.
6: Ask Des O'Connor
7: I dropped me Bovril. I was gutted
8: I can't bare to remember it.
9: Annie Road, Annie Road, what's the score
10: How did that bastard stand up on edge?
11: Is that Anderlecht or am I gettin dimensia
12: More meds Nurse.
13: Ohh Arr, you are awful Missus
14: But I like you......
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »
Just found this picture of him

I remember him as a Coventry player, see he's got their shirt on in the photo

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 01:50:56 pm »
Were there away sections in the 60s?

Not officially designated ones. It was more random than that. Quite often you would be on the same terrace as the home (singing) supporters. Remember LFC fans in the Stretford End in large numbers - although me and the family were in the other end. Think that was the game where Rowdy Yeats crocked their keeper, Harry Gregg(?) and then scored against their stand in keeper. No subs then.

Can remember chasing the Burnley supporters from their designated spot at one game (not me personally - wasn't built for fighting!!). It was quite funny watching them disperse to other parts of their ground!! 

Used to be able to walk from one end of the ground to the other at most grounds eg Blackburn. When they got round to fencing sections off you would get loads of LFC fans running across the pitch at half time persued by Blackburn's finest. That was good half time entertainment - much better than George and his play list!! 

That's me done with the reminiscing - off to watch the ressies on LFC TV and then go for my pm nap!

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 06:30:13 pm »
Disagree with that. It was really foggy for the second leg as well. I was in the anny and you coudn't see the Kop. Peter Thompson hit the bar and it caused a crush on the Kop. From the anny all you could see were lads coming out the the mist round the edge of the pitch who had been taken out the Kop.

k at ith th

I was in the anny for this one as well. My recollection was that it had been raining and the 'fog' was caused by 20 something thousand hot, wet bodies swaying around tightly packed together plus smoke from ciggies! The 'fog' was coming out of the Kop rather than being all around the ground. But it was a long time ago!!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »
I was in the anny for this one as well. My recollection was that it had been raining and the 'fog' was caused by 20 something thousand hot, wet bodies swaying around tightly packed together plus smoke from ciggies! The 'fog' was coming out of the Kop rather than being all around the ground. But it was a long time ago!!

That sounds right and I don't think it was the only midweek match where this phenomenon was witnessed, the sight of a 'Kop fog' caused by human elements rather than true atmospheric conditions.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 10:48:46 am »
That sounds right and I don't think it was the only midweek match where this phenomenon was witnessed, the sight of a 'Kop fog' caused by human elements rather than true atmospheric conditions.

Think the 1966 Celtic game was similar. 'Kop fog' coming out of the Kop.....and empty whiskey bottles coming out of the Anny Road!!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
Think the 1966 Celtic game was similar. 'Kop fog' coming out of the Kop.....and empty whiskey bottles coming out of the Anny Road!!

With one minute to go and Celtic losing 2-0 on the night and 2-1 on aggregate, Bobby Lennox put the ball into our net but Belgian referee Joseph Hannet ruled the 'goal' out for offside. It would have otherwise taken Celtic through to the Glasgow final in the first season in which the 'away goals rule' applied in UEFA competitions. A barrage of missiles thrown by Celtic supporters in the Anfield Road End rained down from the terraces after the disallowed goal and, in trying to prevent this continuing, Celtic physiotherapist Bob Rooney was hit and injured by flying glass. I remember seeing a photograph of the hundreds of bottles, glasses and cans that our groundstaff had to clear away after the match.