Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850175 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #1480 on: March 13, 2020, 10:09:42 am »
Absolutely.

And you'd like to think that they wouldn't be taken seriously.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1481 on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:29 am »
No CL or EL games next week.

Yep
Next week's Champions League and Europa League ties postponed
All of next week's Champions League and Europa League matches have been postponed.

Uefa will meet with nations on 17 March to discuss a more detailed response.
#Sausages

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1482 on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:38 am »
If 2 teams want the season cancelled its surely 2 teams from the relegation zone. A chance of a reprieve for them would be massive.

I am surprised only 2. West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford will want it cancelled. Villa have made huge investments as well.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1483 on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:47 am »
If the PL clubs somehow agree to voiding the season, they should be made to pay every single penny they have earned from TV back to the broadcasters, receive no prize money from the PL, and refund every single fucking ticket sale to match-going fans. And every player's contract should be extended for a full year (in effect giving them a year's pay for nothing). I would happily see half the league go bust - and the likes of Villa, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham would be in massive trouble if this happened.

I'll be honest, if it ends up coming to that I'll be done with football. Deleting twitter, removing favourites from browser, cancelling Sky/BT, putting all my Liverpool gear into deep storage - the works. I'd happily take a week on a fucking ventilator now to get this title done.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1484 on: March 13, 2020, 10:11:20 am »
If 2 teams want the season cancelled its surely 2 teams from the relegation zone. A chance of a reprieve for them would be massive.

Nah. City and Everton mate. It's nailed on. Both clubs hold an unbelievable amount of bitterness towards us. It would be highly unlikely City could win the league anyway and Everton has just gone through another season of meh.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1485 on: March 13, 2020, 10:12:00 am »
Next season you'd need to get rid of the EFL Cup[EFL Trophy for lower league clubs] & International breaks to free up weekends & midweeks to allow leagues to catch up

You cannot have a normal season next season. This virus isn't going away any time soon. It is forecasted to be back next winter.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1486 on: March 13, 2020, 10:12:55 am »
Nah. City and Everton mate. It's nailed on. Both clubs hold an unbelievable amount of bitterness towards us. It would be highly unlikely City could win the league anyway and Everton has just gone through another season of meh.

City possibly but the other is likely to be a side that has made huge investments. My money is on West Ham.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1487 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:05 am »
Matt Hughes
@MattHughesDM

Announcement that Prem Lge and EFL to be suspended until weekend of 4 April expected around 11am.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1488 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:11 am »
Here's my expert opinion based on utter speculation in my head.

This will last until September/October.

League will be completed in December.

New season will start February without C.Cup and possibly FA and we'll have 2 winter to winter seasons until world cup.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:22 am »
And you'd like to think that they wouldn't be taken seriously.

Well, according to that tweet the premier league said it's not even on the agenda...YET.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1490 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:46 am »
If the Champions League & Europa League is cancelled then us & Chelsea are still holders of CL & EL respectivly when the comps get played again
#Sausages

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: March 13, 2020, 10:14:17 am »
City and Everton, I promise you.
I agree, Pep was the first one moaning it wasn't football without fans inside the stadium, they won't feel that this has no effect on them financially.

Everton being Bitter.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1492 on: March 13, 2020, 10:14:25 am »

England's cricket tour of Sri Lanka called off
England's cricket tour of Sri Lanka has been postponed.

England are already in Sri Lanka with the first of two Tests scheduled to start on Thursday.
#Sausages

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1493 on: March 13, 2020, 10:14:34 am »
City possibly but the other is likely to be a side that has made huge investments. My money is on West Ham.

Nah, still think it's the Ev.

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #1494 on: March 13, 2020, 10:15:07 am »
Matt Hughes
@MattHughesDM

Announcement that Prem Lge and EFL to be suspended until weekend of 4 April expected around 11am.

And this'll be to buy them time to see what happens before they make long term decisions.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1495 on: March 13, 2020, 10:15:30 am »
One of them was surely Villa. They will be proper fucked if they get relegated.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1496 on: March 13, 2020, 10:15:41 am »
If the Champions League & Europa League is cancelled then us & Chelsea are still holders of CL & EL respectivly when the comps get played again

There would be no holders.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1497 on: March 13, 2020, 10:17:02 am »
The Golf Players Championship has been cancelled too, first round was played with no spectators at the venue
#Sausages

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: March 13, 2020, 10:17:09 am »
And this'll be to buy them time to see what happens before they make long term decisions.

Yep. They will create a bunch of scenarios.

Cancellation is a possibility and in that case I think current standings should count, no relegation and the top 3 in the Championship get compensated with lost revenue of not being able to be promoted.

However if the Euro's are cancelled then they can create a week or two of intense play offs to determine league finishes, promotion and relegation.

Imagine the audiences and viewing figures for those!

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1499 on: March 13, 2020, 10:18:26 am »
What the hell are the Anfield Wrap going to talk about for months.
They'll literally have to do a show based on every player we've ever had.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #1500 on: March 13, 2020, 10:18:30 am »
2 clubs want the season cancelled.

Everton and spurs are my guess.

Source?
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1501 on: March 13, 2020, 10:18:43 am »
I am surprised only 2. West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford will want it cancelled. Villa have made huge investments as well.

And what about sponsors, I would imagine Nike and Standard Chartered have a huge stake in seeing their commercial agreements with Liverpool boosted by a (deserved) Premier League title.

Relegation and promotion perhaps are worth even more swings of money, circa about £100 million isn't it?

No way all this gets voided.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #1502 on: March 13, 2020, 10:19:45 am »
We're all obviously speculating on what they may do, as we have very quickly moved in to uncharted territory.
My suggestion (which counts for absolutely nothing) would be to continue if they can. If not, suspend the league for a short period, a decision that can be constantly reviewed. They could also make clubs aware of, or agree that, if after a specified amount of time the league still has not reconvened, the league will be ended, with your current position being your final league place.
I think that would be fair on everyone. Every opportunity would be given to restart the league, but if going on too long, at least every club knows where they stand. There are no real shocks/surprises about where each club lies in the table at the moment anyway.
Just revisiting my suggestion from last night. I'm not so sure that there is any desire to continue with the games, but I'll stand by everything else.
Clubs should be told that the league will not be voided, no matter what. 1. A delay (under constant review) 2. An agreed date, that if unable to continue with the league, that the Table as it now stands will be your final position.
This gives every opportunity to conclude the season, but if unable to clubs know where they stand. (A good time now as everyone has played the same number of games)
If rumours are true that clubs are looking the season void, they should be told no. If the season ends now, you finish where you currently are.
It won't be voided today. Not a chance. Even besides the health issues, there is too much money in the game. Sponsorship, TV money etc. A small example might be that if the PL was declared void today, how many customers would immediately cancel their Sky subscription, as there would be no football on etc.
If we ever do get to the stage where the league will be declared void, football will be the last things on our minds. A void league only suggests to me that there is no possibility whatsoever of football being played again.....it won't come to that.
Stay safe and healthy. We'll enjoy our title win soon

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: March 13, 2020, 10:20:59 am »
With suspension/postponement, depends how long it lasts really, we've got a fair bit of time into the summer with the Euros cancelled. But what if it goes further, into August, September, October? What happens to the 20/21 season? Does it not reach a point when they have to bring a stop to 19/20 fixtures?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1504 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:02 am »
Regardless of the current govt stance towards large events, it looks that everything is going to be shutdown by the end of the weekend.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1505 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:26 am »
Source?

Just go and have a look mate, the Internet hasn't crashed.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1506 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:28 am »
Just revisiting my suggestion from last night. I'm not so sure that there is any desire to continue with the games, but I'll stand by everything else.
Clubs should be told that the league will not be voided, no matter what. 1. A delay (under constant review) 2. An agreed date, that if unable to continue with the league, that the Table as it now stands will be your final position.
This gives every opportunity to conclude the season, but if unable to clubs know where they stand. (A good time now as everyone has played the same number of games)
If rumours are true that clubs are looking the season void, they should be told no. If the season ends now, you finish where you currently are.
It won't be voided today. Not a chance. Even besides the health issues, there is too much money in the game. Sponsorship, TV money etc. A small example might be that if the PL was declared void today, how many customers would immediately cancel their Sky subscription, as there would be no football on etc.
If we ever do get to the stage where the league will be declared void, football will be the last things on our minds. A void league only suggests to me that there is no possibility whatsoever of football being played again.....it won't come to that.
Stay safe and healthy. We'll enjoy our title win soon

Yep, would be a quick way to fold Sky Sports as a going concern, that's for sure.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1507 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:30 am »
5 Bournemouth players/staff in self isolation after displaying symptoms. Along with Everton and Leicester. In addition to Arsenal and Chelsea.
There is no other decision, suspension has to happen.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1508 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:42 am »
And what about sponsors, I would imagine Nike and Standard Chartered have a huge stake in seeing their commercial agreements with Liverpool boosted by a (deserved) Premier League title.

Relegation and promotion perhaps are worth even more swings of money, circa about £100 million isn't it?

No way all this gets voided.

Yep. Like I said in my personal and expert opinion I think if there is no way to create an end of season result (3 x weeks of 3 games a week over the summer, play offs to determine league finishes etc.) then the current league standings should remain, no relegation and the PL clubs compensate the top 3 in the Championship.

You could even have a playoff in the Championship to determine who finishes 3rd. It could be called the handout final!

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1509 on: March 13, 2020, 10:22:38 am »
Yep. They will create a bunch of scenarios.

Cancellation is a possibility and in that case I think current standings should count, no relegation and the top 3 in the Championship get compensated with lost revenue of not being able to be promoted.

However if the Euro's are cancelled then they can create a week or two of intense play offs to determine league finishes, promotion and relegation.

Imagine the audiences and viewing figures for those!

If the Euros are moved to next year, with 9 games to play[some 10 to play] we could play Premier League midweek/weekend fixtures for 5 weeks in May/June/July, to finish the season, City vs Arsenal & Sheffield United vs Aston Villa being first matches to catch up with games in hand

The FA Cup should be cancelled, quarter finals are supposed to be held next weekend.
#Sausages

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1510 on: March 13, 2020, 10:22:53 am »
It’s bollocks, there’s no way games will be ready by then. The curve goes up for a long time. As you say, good way to buy time.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #1511 on: March 13, 2020, 10:23:21 am »
Champions and Europa league games now postponed

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1512 on: March 13, 2020, 10:23:50 am »
F1 season set to be postponed until May

Dan Roan

BBC Sports editor

Understand F1 set to announce Bahrain Grand Prix is now off, with Vietnam’s set to be announced as off too.

With Australian and Chinese GPs also off, the F1 season likely to be suspended until Dutch GP in May
#Sausages

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #1513 on: March 13, 2020, 10:24:06 am »
Funny that Cheltenham is still going on like

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #1514 on: March 13, 2020, 10:24:48 am »
Sky NoSports

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: March 13, 2020, 10:25:03 am »
Yep. Like I said in my personal and expert opinion I think if there is no way to create an end of season result (3 x weeks of 3 games a week over the summer, play offs to determine league finishes etc.) then the current league standings should remain, no relegation and the PL clubs compensate the top 3 in the Championship.

You could even have a playoff in the Championship to determine who finishes 3rd. It could be called the handout final!

Yes, agree. Let's put a different POSITIVE spin on it, thank goodness we have this incredible points lead in 1st
and we are not 3 points ahead or even behind!

...If the league is somehow voided, it is as clear case of denial of Champions as there has probably been- in history.

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1516 on: March 13, 2020, 10:25:14 am »
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1517 on: March 13, 2020, 10:27:03 am »
If the Euros are moved to next year, with 9 games to play[some 10 to play] we could play Premier League midweek/weekend fixtures for 5 weeks in May/June/July, to finish the season, City vs Arsenal & Sheffield United vs Aston Villa being first matches to catch up with games in hand

The FA Cup should be cancelled, quarter finals are supposed to be held next weekend.

You only need 4 weeks to complete 9 matches. Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday.

Hell, if it came to that do Saturday - Monday - Thursday - Saturday. Its no different that to the Xmas period and its only for 2 and a bit weeks, with no European travel.

You could engineer it so that teams have 2 home games and then 2 away games to minimise disruption in between games.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: March 13, 2020, 10:27:09 am »
5 Bournemouth players/staff in self isolation after displaying symptoms. Along with Everton and Leicester. In addition to Arsenal and Chelsea.
There is no other decision, suspension has to happen.

I think cancelling the season is the way forward.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1519 on: March 13, 2020, 10:27:41 am »
The easiest way to deal with two clubs who want the season cancelled is to say that if they are that worried then the Premier League is quite happy to cancel the rest of their season and award 3 points to everyone they were due to play.

That way if it is Everton and Manchester City... ;)

The two clubs get what they want, as their players and staff are no longer exposed, and that is what they’re worried about isn’t it, and the Premier League has fewer games to schedule. Everyone’s a winner.

A compensation package to make up for lost revenue can be sorted out between those two clubs and their opponents too.