Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850279 times)

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #1680 on: March 13, 2020, 11:47:18 am »
I think suspending the league is the correct decision. If the scientists are correct about the way the disease will spread, and what has happened with Arsenal , Leicester and other teams self-isolating, the integrity of the competition was going to be compromised with some clubs having vital staff not available.

Given that the Government's science advisor said we're 2 to 3 months away from the worst being over, I don't see how we'll be back playing games until well beyond May personally
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1681 on: March 13, 2020, 11:47:41 am »
Primativ is behind this I Spurs shit I bet.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1682 on: March 13, 2020, 11:47:59 am »
The only way it reconvenes on April 4th is behind closed doors and with every team isolating themselves away between now and then, away from their families and friends etc. That won’t happen. As I said earlier, Serie A are meeting on March 23rd to make a final decision, and although Italy have fucked up massively throughout this crisis, it’s unlikely the U.K. figures for cases will be hugely different. If they pull the plug over there, then it could set a precedent. The only thing would then be if they decide to award anything or have isolated play off games. Either way, not finishing the season, as has been alluded to many times on here, creates chaos for a lot of the teams. Fair play to teams near the bottom of the league who dismissed the idea of a void as they potentially stand to lose a lot of money and a premier league place if it resumes and they go down.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1683 on: March 13, 2020, 11:48:30 am »
I can't recall where I found this, but here is a crowd infection risk calculator. https://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2020/03/what-is-your-risk-of-exposure-to.html#.XmtttahKhhF

I plugged in the UK's population (66,440,000) and current Covid-19 cases x 10 (experts estimate that the actual number of cases might exceed 10x the number of stated cases, based on China and Italy's models https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca). So 3870 (387 x 10)

Then plugged in 54,000 at Anfield.

According to this calculator, there would be a 95.7% chance of a Covid-19 carrier among the supporters. If you just use the hard, confirmed number of cases (387 instead of 3870) the chance drops to 27%.

Now consider 10 matches a week in the Premier League, plus cups...

I need that GIF from The Hangover
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: March 13, 2020, 11:48:32 am »
That's so ridiculous. You can't worry about 1 death. People die every day. People will get ill from this. Most likely it won't be from a football match.

You can't shut everything down and have people living in bubbles.

If you want to play devils advocate it's all really ridiculous. Over the years millions have attended football matches with flu, passed that on, in turn some old person then catches it then dies. Probably happened last week, but because it's labeled flu it's all ok for them to die.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1685 on: March 13, 2020, 11:48:36 am »
I don't see any way sport can go ahead in the summer if the predicted peak is supposed to be June. Cases wont stop after that. And then before you know it the days get shorter, autumn and the cold season comes in and we start again.

The long-term planning doesn't seem to take into account that this virus is going nowhere. The situation now will be worse as we go on and I'm pretty sure nobody has idea how it all sorts itself out.

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1686 on: March 13, 2020, 11:48:58 am »
Scottish football off too including tonights game and grassroots football.

The Joint Response Group can confirm the decision of the Scottish FA Board to suspend ALL domestic professional and grassroots football under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA until further notice.

As a result, the SPFL has announced the postponement of this weekend’s and following midweek’s fixtures, starting with tonight’s Premiership match between Motherwell and Aberdeen and the Championship match between Queen of the South and Ayr United.

The Scottish FA and SPFL will continue to liaise with governments and UEFA in relation to domestic, European and International fixtures in the coming days and more information will be communicated at the appropriate time.

The Scottish FA Board made its decision in the interests of the health and safety of players, match officials, staff, supporters and the general public

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #1687 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:03 am »
Its not daft. It gives them time to plan various scenarios.

That's exactly what it's for. And to calm down the hysteria.

This needs lots of talks and plans made for every scenario whether that be rescheduling or null and void and everything in between.

Think it's a given that the summer Euros are gone. Should be confirm at Tuesday's UEFA meeting.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:08 am »
If spurs and west ham want the season cancelled they can be relegated for Leeds and West brom. I mean it's only fair and health first etc.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1689 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:18 am »
How is cancelling all sport not knee jerk?
It's not all been cancelled, though. There have been a few cancellations, mostly of low level events and friendlies, and postponements of elite football.

It makes sense to postpone the league; by April we'll have a better idea of how things are clinically, what space there may be over summer to fit in rescheduled games etc. We'll even have players who are rested and so if there's a need to play 3 games a week or something to get the league finished quickly, they will be ready for it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:35 am »
That's so ridiculous. You can't worry about 1 death. People die every day. People will get ill from this. Most likely it won't be from a football match.

We know people will die in car accidents, but we don't ban cars.

But we do ask people to wear seatbelts, drive carefully, and ensure car makers make safe cars. That's what this is.

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:38 am »
Why do people in every day life keep saying stay safe? Are there terrorists on the loose? isn't it stay healthy or keep well? 🤔
according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1692 on: March 13, 2020, 11:50:50 am »
Now they've been cancelled, might as well ditch them for good
Irn-Bru gives immunity, apparently

Also is it true a shirtless Geordie fan punched the virus in the head?

Makes a change from them punching horses. ;)
#Sausages

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #1693 on: March 13, 2020, 11:50:52 am »
The nearest parallels I and anyone my age and older than me (but younger than 80 - they have the war to remember which I don't) in Britain have is the 1973 energy crisis.  It might seem unrelated from this distance but it was really serious.  The miners had gone on strike and the country had minimal supplies of fuel left.  Electricity had to be rationed so all power to homes was switched off at 10.30pm only on the nights it had been on in the first place.  Some days of the week, you would have no power all day.  It was December 73 and January/February 74 and a cold winter.  More people died of hypothermia then than any year of that time.  We had to go down to Norweb or Manweb shops (where you had to go to pay your gas/electric bills) in town which had maps in their windows showing which areas would get the power on which days so you could maximise the time the lights and the telly was on.  They pushed the boat out and allowed telly until midnight on Christmas day and New Years Eve.  Midweek football matches had to be played at 3pm or earlier as they couldn't be sure they'd have the power on so couldn't have lights inside the stadium or put the floodlights on.  Factories, offices and other workplaces would run unheated and to further preserve power, the three-day week was introduced for all.  We got through it but then, we could congregate and mix with our friends and families.  This thing is unprecedented and nothing we've ever seen before in this modern world so as there's no template or precedent for anything like this, bad judgements will be made.  Let's not be too critical of decisions made as I'm sure they're all done with good intentions (Donald Trump apart of course). 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: March 13, 2020, 11:51:05 am »
Everything and a full lockdown has to follow suit!

We have two options, get on with another virus in the country/world, or have a full lockdown.

It looks like the country is hell bent on the second option, that's fine but if so shutting down a few events is going to do fuck all.

There will be absolutely no point in these actions unless the country follow suit and does a full lockdown. It will maybe stop the spread of a handful of cases but without a lock down these people infected will still be in their workplaces, shops, pubs, transport, weddings.

If we are going to do this then lets just get the fuck on with shutting the country down!! The quicker we do the quicker we can resume everything. If there is no full lockdown then we will be in the same position next month.

I completely agree.

If you're doing this, you might as well go full Italy.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: March 13, 2020, 11:51:09 am »
If spurs and west ham want the season cancelled they can be relegated for Leeds and West brom. I mean it's only fair and health first etc.

Yep, if they have little regard for competing the premier league season then they can fuck off to another league and we'll get some clubs up who want to take part in premier league seasons.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1696 on: March 13, 2020, 11:51:17 am »
I can't recall where I found this, but here is a crowd infection risk calculator. https://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2020/03/what-is-your-risk-of-exposure-to.html#.XmtttahKhhF

I plugged in the UK's population (66,440,000) and current Covid-19 cases x 10 (experts estimate that the actual number of cases might exceed 10x the number of stated cases, based on China and Italy's models https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca). So 3870 (387 x 10)

Then plugged in 54,000 at Anfield.

According to this calculator, there would be a 95.7% chance of a Covid-19 carrier among the supporters. If you just use the hard, confirmed number of cases (387 instead of 3870) the chance drops to 27%.

Now consider 10 matches a week in the Premier League, plus cups...

This post reminded me of that scene from The Thing. The one where Blair is on his computer, calculating the spread of the alien organism.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1697 on: March 13, 2020, 11:52:16 am »
Bryan Swanson not looking too good.

who? And is he going to isolate himself?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1698 on: March 13, 2020, 11:53:00 am »
West Ham players in self-isolation
West Ham players are in self-isolation after they came into contact with Mikel Arteta during Saturday's Premier League game against Arsenal.
#Sausages

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #1699 on: March 13, 2020, 11:53:43 am »
Give everyone involved with each club the virus. Get them immune. Then play ball!
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: March 13, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
As far as I know games are going ahead BCD this weekend, then suspended till early April. Don't think they've said any more than that.

there's a suspicion Paderborn coach Steffen Baumgart may have the virus, not confirmed yet, surely though if that is the case they suspend this weekend. It's mad they are going ahead anyway.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: March 13, 2020, 11:55:16 am »
Bryan Swanson
@skysports_bryan
LATEST: Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow arrives for Premier League meeting. Says clubs should “do the right thing”. #SSN #COVID19

You couldn't make it up. It's like being locked in a Shakespearean tragedy that never ends. Purslow's not wrong either.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: March 13, 2020, 11:56:09 am »
Bryan Swanson
@skysports_bryan
LATEST: Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow arrives for Premier League meeting. Says clubs should “do the right thing”. #SSN #COVID19
What does that even mean?!

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: March 13, 2020, 11:56:12 am »
Give everyone involved with each club the virus. Get them immune. Then play ball!

There's no natural immunity though - thats the problem
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: March 13, 2020, 11:56:16 am »

I think each club should send a champion to compete in a Covid Battle Royale and I nominate Virgil

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: March 13, 2020, 11:56:39 am »
We know people will die in car accidents, but we don't ban cars.

But we do ask people to wear seatbelts, drive carefully, and ensure car makers make safe cars. That's what this is.

It's not, letting people get on with it would be the same.

More people die each year from car accidents than Flu (not comparing with flu calm down everyone), and from what stats are showing it will be around the same mortality rate.

So letting the country get on with the virus would be the more safe than what we do with cars.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: March 13, 2020, 11:56:55 am »
What does that even mean?!

exactly! I read it and wondered what the hell that even means, the fact he's tweeted it is just another example of tabloid journos tweeting any old shite for likes and re-tweets.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: March 13, 2020, 11:58:06 am »
With regard to Liverpool being champions or not...

The PL will absolutely not want to void a whole season. If they had to do that, they'd at least want to award teams with titles already won (City's LC win for example, is already won so that's fine). So how about we have the clubs isolate the teams (and families) until this early april deadline. Then when that date rolls around if the situation in the country is not good enough to start up again, they allow us to play city behind closed doors.

If we lose, well we're again in the lap of the gods.
If we win, we confirm that we'd have been champions. They can cancel the rest of the season if they'd like, but at least they've solved this.

I don't mean this to be a 'We're more important than the rest of the league' sort of thing, rather that we are in the unique position of being able to win just that match and have it all settled. To me it would make sense to do that.
For other clubs that have to play the full season to decide everything, well that's unfortunate. There's no easy solution.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: March 13, 2020, 11:59:30 am »
With regard to Liverpool being champions or not...

The PL will absolutely not want to void a whole season. If they had to do that, they'd at least want to award teams with titles already won (City's LC win for example, is already won so that's fine). So how about we have the clubs isolate the teams (and families) until this early april deadline. Then when that date rolls around if the situation in the country is not good enough to start up again, they allow us to play city behind closed doors.

If we lose, well we're again in the lap of the gods.
If we win, we confirm that we'd have been champions. They can cancel the rest of the season if they'd like, but at least they've solved this.

I don't mean this to be a 'We're more important than the rest of the league' sort of thing, rather that we are in the unique position of being able to win just that match and have it all settled. To me it would make sense to do that.
For other clubs that have to play the full season to decide everything, well that's unfortunate. There's no easy solution.

To Liverpool-centric

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: March 13, 2020, 11:59:45 am »
I think each club should send a champion to compete in a Covid Battle Royale and I nominate Virgil

Nah mate. Robbo for sure.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: March 13, 2020, 12:00:09 pm »
They could treat it like an International tournament - tell each PL club to pick a squad of 20 or so players and essential coaching staff, send everyone else home, tell those selected to self isolate for two weeks, then if there are no cases among that group of people in a couple of weeks, start playing the games behind closed doors (again with only essential staff at the stadium - wouldn't need stewards or anything). I don't know,  just thinking out loud...

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #1711 on: March 13, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »
I don't know about this. Italy has been hit really hard but the situation could turn out very differently here, or in a country which is not hit as hard. Each country needs to make their own decision on whether they can complete their own season, just as each government needs to decide on which approach is best for their own country.
Yes I agree that approaches must differ depending on individual circumstances. However,  UEFA will want to get the CL/EL up and running again asap, and they won't be able plan next season's until this season's leagues are completed. They can make additional time for this by cancelling this year's competitions and/or postponing the European Championships.  Obviously no-one know how long this will last for but I don't think a decision can be made to 'void' this year's Premier League until UEFA have made a decision on the Euros because there is potentially scope for all of the leagues across Europe to be completed in June if the virus is past its peak by then.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »
It's not, letting people get on with it would be the same.

More people die each year from car accidents than Flu (not comparing with flu calm down everyone), and from what stats are showing it will be around the same mortality rate.

So letting the country get on with the virus would be the more safe than what we do with cars.
Flu and car accidents don't go away though, when a different problem (covid19) arises. They just add to the numbers and the stress it puts on the NHS.

We're looking at flu plus 10x flu numbers in one go here.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1713 on: March 13, 2020, 12:02:58 pm »
You couldn't make it up. It's like being locked in a Shakespearean tragedy that never ends. Purslow's not wrong either.

What does he even mean by that? Clubs should do the right thing by completing the league or call for it to be cancelled?
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1714 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:00 pm »
The nearest parallels I and anyone my age and older than me (but younger than 80 - they have the war to remember which I don't) in Britain have is the 1973 energy crisis.  It might seem unrelated from this distance but it was really serious.  The miners had gone on strike and the country had minimal supplies of fuel left.  Electricity had to be rationed so all power to homes was switched off at 10.30pm only on the nights it had been on in the first place.  Some days of the week, you would have no power all day.  It was December 73 and January/February 74 and a cold winter.  More people died of hypothermia then than any year of that time.  We had to go down to Norweb or Manweb shops (where you had to go to pay your gas/electric bills) in town which had maps in their windows showing which areas would get the power on which days so you could maximise the time the lights and the telly was on.  They pushed the boat out and allowed telly until midnight on Christmas day and New Years Eve.  Midweek football matches had to be played at 3pm or earlier as they couldn't be sure they'd have the power on so couldn't have lights inside the stadium or put the floodlights on.  Factories, offices and other workplaces would run unheated and to further preserve power, the three-day week was introduced for all.  We got through it but then, we could congregate and mix with our friends and families.  This thing is unprecedented and nothing we've ever seen before in this modern world so as there's no template or precedent for anything like this, bad judgements will be made.  Let's not be too critical of decisions made as I'm sure they're all done with good intentions (Donald Trump apart of course).
As an aside I worked in a well known financial institution in the City of london during that time and they blatantly disregarded that ruling on using electricity only 3 days a week while industry was being shutdown elsewhere...if anybody mentioned it there was just a wink and a nudge and "that doesn't apply to us".

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:01 pm »
What does he even mean by that? Clubs should do the right thing by completing the league or call for it to be cancelled?
I presume he means what the PL have decided to do.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #1716 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:45 pm »
there's a suspicion Paderborn coach Steffen Baumgart may have the virus, not confirmed yet, surely though if that is the case they suspend this weekend. It's mad they are going ahead anyway.
Yes I agree. I think it's highly unlikely that most of the games will go ahead. That's probably why they decided to have them BCD - to minimise the impact if they have to cancel at short notice.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1717 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:53 pm »

He probably doesn't even know what he means himself. Odious prick.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:57 pm »
Right no football for three weeks.  More specifically no Liverpool games, I’m going to do my best to fuck off from here for a week or so then, it’s doing my head in to be honest. Virus this, virus that. I’m not saying it’s not important but there are other things to think about/enjoy/do.

It’s approaching mild hysteria isn’t it? And I very much include myself in that. Time to think about something else for a bit.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: March 13, 2020, 12:05:54 pm »

Doesn't this have a higher mortality rate than ordinary flu with the potential to overload our health service?
Consider the impact then on all those people with conditions not related to covid 19 as well.