Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129448 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #400 on: November 13, 2010, 08:37:14 am »
Sorry but that's completely over the top, he hasn't come out and said he's a shit player. On the contrary, he has said he's a damn good player who just hasn't been at his best. He wants him to get back to his usual standard, just like everyone else on this forum. It is not an "attack" in any way shape of form.

Read what he said. He's basically having a go at a player because he doesn't fit into the mindset of the manager using tactics from the 1980s. Johnson is actually a very good modern fullback. If you put him back in time he'd look shite at rightback then.

Hodgson has a mindset. Fair enough. Can't change that (He's publically stated that he won't, in fact). But if your tactics include making class players look shite - don't blame the player. Look at your tactics.

Apart from anything else - given he's had a go at Johnson -if he does leave - and again - who could blame him? He'll have knocked millions off his price. And who will he replace him with? Yes. That's right. The Rightback version of Konchesky (Shudder).
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: November 13, 2010, 08:38:32 am »
He's hardly going to get the best out of Johnson if his players keep lumping balls up front and defend on their 6 yard line though is he ?  And whats to say it'll inspire Johnson to perform better.  By being so confrontational isn't he running the risk of alienating another player ?  There are many potential downsides to it.  Seems even some of the sheep can see it.

That's the thing about being a manager, motivation is a very tough task. I agree this could be completely be the wrong way to go about things. But Roy works with him on a day to day basis with a complete background team to help him. He's decided that this approach will work best, let's hope it does.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #402 on: November 13, 2010, 08:39:25 am »
Where are all these newbie Roy apologists coming from all of a sudden? Does Roy come from a big family or something?

Nothing against new members, just think it's odd most of them have glowing things to say about our most mediocre manager and seem to be willing to give him a pass on everything. 

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: November 13, 2010, 08:41:21 am »

He's stating that he hasn't been at the top of his game. I think you'll find it a though ask to find a Liverpool fan who thinks differently. It's a form of motivation, no more. We arn't going to agree so we should just agree to disagree.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: November 13, 2010, 08:42:05 am »
Where are all these newbie Roy apologists coming from all of a sudden? Does Roy come from a big family or something?

Nothing against new members, just think it's odd most of them have glowing things to say about our most mediocre manager and seem to be willing to give him a pass on everything.

If that includes me, I'll have you know I hate him and was devasted when he was named manager.

Offline lfc_maniac_tsr

• Main Stander
  • Waiting for Shankly to take a rebirth!
« Reply #405 on: November 13, 2010, 08:43:27 am »
Now there you go.
There was Gerrard, then Torres, then Reina and now Glen.
Somebody pleaseee stop him! He speaks as if lfc is a separate entity
When will the old wanker allow us to speak about football?!?
Please go away!!
Please allow my grandma's soul to RIP!
Here is a list of managers who have won less than 3 European Cups:
Alex Ferguson, Mourinho,Wenger, Guardiola, Carlo Ancelotti.Marcelo Lippi,Jupp Heynckes,Hiddink,Cruyff, Van Gaal, Arrigo Saachi,Frank Rijkaard,Del Bosque, Rinus Michels,Happel, Helenio Herrera,etc
Here is a list of managers who have won the European Cup 3 times:
BOB Paisley

Offline LiverBirdKop

• Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #406 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:09 am »
But Roy works with him on a day to day basis with a complete background team to help him. He's decided that this approach will work best, let's hope it does.

Since Roy has had such a "stable and successful career", I'm sure we should trust whatever approach he deems best no matter how stupid and backwards it may seem to us mere mortals right?

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:39 am »
Whatever happened to keeping things behind closed doors ?

Right or wrong this should be kept between player and manager. He just can't help himself.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: November 13, 2010, 08:46:55 am »
Could of been kept inhouse.why say it to the press? again,roy showing his 35 years of experience  :butt

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #409 on: November 13, 2010, 08:47:38 am »

Cos most of them all watch Sly sprts like its fact and then come on here and think we're all wrong.....yeah ok
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline lfc_maniac_tsr

• Main Stander
« Reply #410 on: November 13, 2010, 08:48:54 am »
He doesn't allow me to smile, even once in a day..
Oh lord! Please shut his mouth!
He makes me smoke more and more!
Alex Ferguson, Mourinho,Wenger, Guardiola, Carlo Ancelotti.Marcelo Lippi,Jupp Heynckes,Hiddink,Cruyff, Van Gaal, Arrigo Saachi,Frank Rijkaard,Del Bosque, Rinus Michels,Happel, Helenio Herrera,etc
BOB Paisley

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: November 13, 2010, 08:49:56 am »
That's the thing about being a manager, motivation is a very tough task. I agree this could be completely be the wrong way to go about things. But Roy works with him on a day to day basis with a complete background team to help him. He's decided that this approach will work best, let's hope it does.

How do you expect it to work or even hope for it to work when you can see that is so blatantly obvious that one of the chief reasons for Johnson and Liverpool's struggles are the fact that we play so deep and invite pressure onto ourselves.  Johnson is an attacking RB and has defensive frailties.  That much has been established.  And we play ultra defensive counter attacking football where our defenders are extremely deep.  This does not play to Johnson's strengths.  At all.  In such a scenario, what good will come off actually criticizing the player when the chief reason for his struggles actually lie at the manager's door ?  It'll only lead to resentment. 

And how difficult is it to notice the pattern ?  Our most talented defender who Andy fucking Gray thinks is perhaps the best footballing CB in all of Europe, Daniel Agger is moved out the left back spot and ultimately dropped.  Roberto Carlos never played under Roy and we can both agree that he was an explosive attacking FB that didn't fit with Roy's system.  The point I'm making is that Roy doesn't like to accommodate naturally talented footballers in defence.  And Johnson being one of those is unnecessarily being criticized when it is in fact the manager that is unable to adapt his system to suit players of his style. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline socrates the sophist

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #412 on: November 13, 2010, 08:50:29 am »
to be honest I think Roy has a point. Is it the perfect way way to bring up the topic? no, but you never know with journalists may be it was off-the-record but the editor decided to publish it anyways. And it is done in a way to show that Martin Kelly is emerging to first 11 status. It could be a made up story reacting to Martin Kelly's two consecutive starts.
The good part about this is that it seems an invitation for Johnson to raise his game. And I'm sure as a manager Roy will be looking for an answer from Johnson and both will start working together and we'll have our flying Joe in no time.
But until that happens move Carra to the right and stick Kyrgiakos in there. That guy is a monster

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #413 on: November 13, 2010, 08:51:00 am »
How do you expect it to work or even hope for it to work when you can see that is so blatantly obvious that one of the chief reasons for Johnson and Liverpool's struggles are the fact that we play so deep and invite pressure onto ourselves.  Johnson is an attacking RB and has defensive frailties.  That much has been established.  And we play ultra defensive counter attacking football where our defenders are extremely deep.  This does not play to Johnson's strengths.  At all.  In such a scenario, what good will come off actually criticizing the player when the chief reason for his struggles actually lie at the manager's door ?  It'll only lead to resentment. 

And how difficult is it to notice the pattern ?  Our most talented defender who Andy fucking Gray thinks is perhaps the best footballing CB in all of Europe, Daniel Agger is moved out the left back spot and ultimately dropped.  Roberto Carlos never played under Roy and we can both agree that he was an explosive attacking FB that didn't fit with Roy's system.  The point I'm making is that Roy doesn't like to accommodate naturally talented footballers in defence.  And Johnson being one of those is unnecessarily being criticized when it is in fact the manager that is unable to adapt his system to suit players of his style. 

Jolly good post, old bean.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lfc_maniac_tsr

• Main Stander
« Reply #414 on: November 13, 2010, 08:53:37 am »
In the first few matches, most of the players played badly. The lad is just coming from an injury. The old ...... comes out and defends poulsen and sticks to glen? Poulsen is 31 and has received enough sticks at juve. He knows how to handle the pressure. But glen is quite young and is new to all the big club pressure and stuff. Grandpa comes out and screws him and makes his england life miserable!
Oh dear god!
BOB Paisley

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #415 on: November 13, 2010, 08:54:40 am »
If that includes me, I'll have you know I hate him and was devasted when he was named manager.

of course he means u! lol  :butt

You have basically said that all people on here that disagree with what you are saying but agree in the majority are 'sheep' even though the majority of the people you are saying about are match going fans (like me). I respect your opinion, you are entitled to it, but your arguement has no context and doesnt make any sense.   
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #416 on: November 13, 2010, 08:54:45 am »
 Praise in public reprimand in private- that's what is taught on management courses so I suppose Roy must have missed that one!

Please Roy stop talking to the press because every time you open your mouth you hang yourself!

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: November 13, 2010, 08:56:38 am »

I agree completely on the tactics not suiting him, they don't suit anyone really. But Glen is not a God awful defender, sure he isn't up there with the likes of Ivanovic and Sagna, but he's better than most. However he has't been showing that for a while now for whatever reason. I think Roy has looked at Glens best form at the club, which was when he just signed. At the time a lot of eyebrows were raised over the price, and that fact he didn't really cut it at Chelsea. That's a lot of pressure and he performed admirably up until he got injured. Roy's putting the pressure on him again. And whilst I do agree about him being best utilised as an attacking weapon, his defensive game needs improving. Hopefully this is the kick he needs.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #418 on: November 13, 2010, 08:58:29 am »
How the hell people think putting a player in the spotlight could be more positive than negative is beyond me. I can understand a friendly public challenge, but what this fool has done is put a lot of negative pressure on an injured player while pointing at the exit door. Not to mention potentially affecting his market value in a negative way if this backfires.

35 years of experience there or you......

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #419 on: November 13, 2010, 08:59:10 am »
I agree completely on the tactics not suiting him, they don't suit anyone really. But Glen is not a God awful defender, sure he isn't up there with the likes of Ivanovic and Sagna, but he's better than most. However he has't been showing that for a while now for whatever reason. I think Roy has looked at Glens best form at the club, which was when he just signed. At the time a lot of eyebrows were raised over the price, and that fact he didn't really cut it at Chelsea. That's a lot of pressure and he performed admirably up until he got injured. Roy's putting the pressure on him again. And whilst I do agree about him being best utilised as an attacking weapon, his defensive game needs improving. Hopefully this is the kick he needs.

The price was made up by the media. They owed us money. We paid not that much and wrote the rest off. Usual media bollocks. Manchester United can spend £31M on a defender and £31M on a forward and nothing is said. Liverpool pay £7M on a player (And write £10M off) and it's national news in their astonishment of how can a club pay SO much.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: November 13, 2010, 08:59:37 am »
of course he means u! lol  :butt

You have basically said that all people on here that disagree with what you are saying but agree in the majority are 'sheep' even though the majority of the people you are saying about are match going fans (like me). I respect your opinion, you are entitled to it, but your arguement has no context and doesnt make any sense.

Again, I hate Roy lol.

Nah mate we've got our wires crossed. I'm talking about the exact same comments being posted. Not that the opinions are different than mine and therefore wrong, I'm wrong a hell of a lot of the time, but that it's basically copy and paste jobs with no substance that annoy me. Of course that's highly arrogant saying that, no one is on here to serve me, but just an opinion I have and I've nothing else to do at the moment so I'm stating it lol.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #421 on: November 13, 2010, 08:59:56 am »
He thinks he can do this by putting pressure on him, now next time Glen plays he knows everyone will be watching him specifically, he should be really fired up and raring to go.

If he thinks that then he really is unfit to be manager of the club. You could be right that public humiliation and ridicule might make Johnson play better, although I doubt it. The point is that it's a shit way of doing things and I for one don't want a manager who manages that way. It's shit and if he's doing it for the reasons you say it's a sign that he can't get the players to work for him.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: November 13, 2010, 09:00:19 am »
Is Johnson one of the expensive flops then? 

Thing is, the majority of the team have been playing poorly so to single out Johnson is unfair.

The question is WHY are we playing so poorly....

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:11 am »

Roy Hodgson.

Offline lfc_maniac_tsr

• Main Stander
« Reply #424 on: November 13, 2010, 09:03:47 am »
Is Johnson one of the expensive flops then? 

Thing is, the majority of the team have been playing poorly so to single out Johnson is unfair.

Liverpool's Special One
BOB Paisley

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #425 on: November 13, 2010, 09:03:50 am »
That's the thing about being a manager, motivation is a very tough task.

Err... not really. That's part of the manager's job. If a manager finds it difficult then he's in the wrong job.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: November 13, 2010, 09:05:56 am »
Err... not really. That's part of the manager's job. If a manager finds it difficult then he's in the wrong job.

Yeah it's a big part, not just for football managers, but for managers in any kind of business. Every high level manager or anyone with an experience in HRM will tell you it's one of the most challenging aspects of the job.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #427 on: November 13, 2010, 09:06:28 am »
But Glen is not a God awful defender, sure he isn't up there with the likes of Ivanovic and Sagna, but he's better than most.

That's a lot of pressure and he performed admirably up until he got injured. Roy's putting the pressure on him again. And whilst I do agree about him being best utilised as an attacking weapon, his defensive game needs improving. Hopefully this is the kick he needs.

So he's a "better than most" defender who was performing "admirably" until he got injured.......but needs to improve on defense.

Brilliant.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: November 13, 2010, 09:08:32 am »
So he's a "better than most" defender who was performing "admirably" until he got injured.......but needs to improve on defense.

Brilliant.

Never heard of a thing called form?

Offline LiverBirdKop

• Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #429 on: November 13, 2010, 09:10:20 am »
Never heard of a thing called form?
You said he was performing "admirably" until he got injured. Did you mean his Playstation form needs improving?

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: November 13, 2010, 09:11:14 am »
You said he was performing "admirably" until he got injured. Did you mean his Playstation form needs improving?

I'm talking about his injury last season.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: November 13, 2010, 09:11:59 am »

He could have achieved that by giving him a private bollocking.  Did he have to do it through the national media ?  And if his defensive work needed improving, that should have been dealt with on the training pitch.  What good does criticizing him in the papers do ?  He might get fired up and run harder but the problems persist.  Again, I'm going on empirical evidence of how Roy has dealt with such players in the past which really doesn't help your argument. 

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: November 13, 2010, 09:12:56 am »
Has he actually been poor? He hasn't set the world on fire and his end product has not been great (which might have been one of the contributing factors to our poor finishing record earlier on) but has he actually been poor? In defense? If so I must have missed something. While I wouldn't have any problem if Kelly came on and replaced him (even though I feel that we'll have more trouble breaking down the weaker teams with Kelly than Johnson) I don't think its correct to say he's poor.

Way to wipe value off the transfer fee as well Roy :butt

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #433 on: November 13, 2010, 09:14:48 am »
Obviously I am no fan of Hodgson but Johnson really does need a good talking to. He's acting like a total sponger on current form which is such a shame given his ability. He's the best full-back in England in terms of natural skill.

Thought he was out injured, when did he last play?
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2010, 09:15:02 am »
He could have achieved that by giving him a private bollocking.  Did he have to do it through the national media ?  And if his defensive work needed improving, that should have been dealt with on the training pitch.  What good does criticizing him in the papers do ?  He might get fired up and run harder but the problems persist.  Again, I'm going on empirical evidence of how Roy has dealt with such players in the past which really doesn't help your argument.

I agree, maybe it could have been achieved that way. But he obviously felt this way was the way to go about motivating him due to how he perceives how Glen handles pressure. I'm not saying this is the right way to go about it, but I'm not going to castrate the manager for trying to get the best out of him. Maybe it is wrong and he'll deserve a bollocking later, until then I'm not going to use any old excuse to have a go, even though I don't like him.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: November 13, 2010, 09:16:27 am »
Could be wrong but haven't most of our goals been conceded on the left?  How is our LB playing then?

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2010, 09:18:10 am »

Thought he was out injured, when did he last play?

That is one of the more bizarre things about this.  Saying it when he is out injured/ on the brink of return from injury.  Not really fair in my eyes

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: November 13, 2010, 09:20:37 am »
Praise in public reprimand in private- that's what is taught on management 101 courses so I suppose Roy must have missed that one!

To emphasise your point a bit further...
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:27 am »
I agree, maybe it could have been achieved that way. But he obviously felt this way was the way to go about motivating him due to how he perceives how Glen handles pressure. I'm not saying this is the right way to go about it, but I'm not going to castrate the manager for trying to get the best out of him. Maybe it is wrong and he'll deserve a bollocking later, until then I'm not going to use any old excuse to have a go, even though I don't like him.

So you agree the timing is not right.  You also agree that Roy could have kept it indoors.  You also agree that the tactics really don't suit Johnson.  And yet you call people who criticize Roy for having said what he did about Johnson for the above three reasons sheep.  That makes no sense to me. 

Offline DUGlish

• blah blah and so on...
  • Kopite
« Reply #439 on: November 13, 2010, 09:22:07 am »
Another reason why Roy should just shut up and not be the Liverpool manager.

Slating players in public? FFS Keep it in-house for gods sake.
There are places I remember.....