Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1229888 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #14440 on: May 19, 2023, 10:43:28 pm »
Yellowjackets season two is very disappointing, seven episodes in and they could fit what happened into two episodes. Too many dream/hallucination scenes that just are too obvious and add nothing.
Yep, I jibbed it. I felt guilty doing so after such a first brilliant season but I just decided it wasn't worth the time imo.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14441 on: May 20, 2023, 12:13:00 pm »
All six seasons of Gasmamman here. it's a Swedish remake of the Dutch series; Penoza. English subs included. Won't play on sites other than YT.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4716466/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_Gasmamman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvNXUK9jvpQ&t=511s&ab_channel=K.S.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14442 on: May 20, 2023, 12:15:35 pm »
The Full Monty crew is back. This is streaming June 14, exclusively on Disney+.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1FgjqX34soQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1FgjqX34soQ</a>

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14443 on: May 20, 2023, 12:50:25 pm »
Finished a re-watch of this last night. Worth a look.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0VZ2Nbx8gHI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0VZ2Nbx8gHI</a>

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14444 on: May 20, 2023, 01:43:57 pm »
Was scratching my head over this reference for a few minutes before it clicked. :)

You Swine!

Kind of lukewarm about the series as a whole...

The whole, show a scene, then backpedal time-wise to lead up to it, strangely drained a fair bit of tension, as did the
Spoiler
culminating slaughters of the Leyras and Curtigas; if that was so simple, why not do it earlier, forgo the whole trip to Casablanca and get the Leyras out the way?
[close]

The good elements from Gomorrah stylee were there, and Manuel was eerie as fuck and all...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14445 on: May 22, 2023, 12:03:25 am »
2 episodes into ITVx Thriller "Without Sin"

Stars Vicky McLure, who confronts the man convicted of killing her teenage daughter.

Pretty damn good as it happens.  Set in Nottingham it's quite gritty and the acting is top-notch.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14446 on: May 22, 2023, 11:43:15 am »
Kind of lukewarm about the series as a whole...

Yeah, I get you.  Think I am slightly warmer than you but not totally red hot.

I quite liked the little time skips, to be honest.

That ending looked to have made way for a second series but who knows (the shits).

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14447 on: May 22, 2023, 12:01:13 pm »
Yeah, I get you.  Think I am slightly warmer than you but not totally red hot.

I quite liked the little time skips, to be honest.

That ending looked to have made way for a second series but who knows (the shits).

Agree with that bit about the ending paving the way for a second series, although 'Ndrangheta branch will need some propping up on account of a plethora of roles being either ridiculously old or terminated... ;)

Think the Emma's-got-it will/would be explored as well...

Quite enjoyed the Manuel and the Boys equals the Zetas angle, always regretted Narcos never exploring the Zetas in any depth at all...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14448 on: May 22, 2023, 01:38:25 pm »

Quite enjoyed the Manuel and the Boys equals the Zetas angle, always regretted Narcos never exploring the Zetas in any depth at all...

Yeah, I thought that too about Manuel and his army.  Zeta's.

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14449 on: May 22, 2023, 02:19:56 pm »

Stars Vicky McLure, who confronts the man convicted of killing her teenage daughter.

Pretty damn good as it happens.  Set in Nottingham it's quite gritty and the acting is top-notch.

Charles in it was her father in This is England - who tried to rape her, who she then killed with a hammer.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14450 on: May 22, 2023, 02:26:01 pm »
They confirmed a little while ago it wouldn't get a 2nd series. Was based on a book, so without source material they wouldn't go back in. Enjoyed the bits in Africa myself, if nothing else it continued the tour of how mental the world is away from the privileged northern Europeans the drugs were destined for. Made sense the Lynwoods had the more macguffin-ish storyline too if this was what the book was up to, was a bit silly in parts though.  One of the best shot series I've seen so was hard not to forgive a lot of it.
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14451 on: May 22, 2023, 03:03:01 pm »

Just finished Cracker on ITVx, what a fucking show and character.

Looks like a decent show on there called A Spy Among Friends, pretty decent cast to support Guy Pierce and Damian Lewis.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #14452 on: May 22, 2023, 03:20:14 pm »
Looks like a decent show on there called A Spy Among Friends, pretty decent cast to support Guy Pierce and Damian Lewis.

I watched that a few months ago - it's very steady and well-made without knocking your socks off, if you know what I mean. Great performances by those two, though, really top-notch.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14453 on: May 22, 2023, 06:16:28 pm »
They confirmed a little while ago it wouldn't get a 2nd series. Was based on a book, so without source material, they wouldn't go back in. Enjoyed the bits in Africa myself, if nothing else it continued the tour of how mental the world is away from the privileged northern Europeans the drugs were destined for. Made sense the Lynwoods had the more macguffin-ish storyline too if this was what the book was up to, was a bit silly in parts though.  One of the best shot series I've seen so was hard not to forgive a lot of it.

Ah no 2nd series.  Surprises me that

But yeah, all this makes sense mate.  I'm gonna grab the book on Kindle and read in on hols next week.

Charles in it was her father in This is England - who tried to rape her, who she then killed with a hammer.

Yep, Johnny Harris. A talented actor and screenwriter.

Really surprised by just how good the first 2 eps were.  Gonna watch the last 2 later.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14454 on: May 22, 2023, 06:54:14 pm »
New Rian Johnson show, Poker Face, coming to Sky on May 26th. Stars Natasha Lyonne, has had rave reviews and is a Columbo-esque case of the week crime show.

This looks really good and is getting rave reviews. I love all of Rian Johnson's work too, right from Brick and Brothers Bloom to Knives Out 2 (I liked his Star Wars film too, I know a lot didn't but I'm not beholden to that franchise so maybe I had a different perspective).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14455 on: May 23, 2023, 09:05:25 am »
Started 'Beef' last night, first episode was funny but I've no idea how they will carry this premise on for a whole season.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #14456 on: May 23, 2023, 07:31:44 pm »
This looks really good and is getting rave reviews. I love all of Rian Johnson's work too, right from Brick and Brothers Bloom to Knives Out 2 (I liked his Star Wars film too, I know a lot didn't but I'm not beholden to that franchise so maybe I had a different perspective).
I've watched the first few of this and am impressed.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14457 on: May 24, 2023, 08:54:39 am »
Started 'Beef' last night, first episode was funny but I've no idea how they will carry this premise on for a whole season.

Enjoying this, the two leads (especially the woman) are mental.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14458 on: May 24, 2023, 10:41:01 am »
Started "The Steeltown Murders" last night

A period crime drama that jumps between 1973 to the early 2000s.  Based on a series of murders in South Wales in the early 70's and subsequent DNA evidence that reopened the case.

Stars Philip Glenister as the lead detective in the reopened case.    I do like stuff with the Glenister brothers in.

It's mad watching these murder shows from the 70's and suchlike.  No CCTV, dash cams, doorbell cams, social media, mobile phones or DNA analysis.  It must have been very difficult catching serious offenders compared with today.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14459 on: May 24, 2023, 10:48:48 am »

A period crime drama that jumps between 1973 to the early 2000s.  Based on a series of murders in South Wales in the early 70's and subsequent DNA evidence that reopened the case.

Stars Philip Glenister as the lead detective in the reopened case.    I do like stuff with the Glenister brothers in.

It's mad watching these murder shows from the 70's and suchlike.  No CCTV, dash cams, doorbell cams, social media, mobile phones or DNA analysis.  It must have been very difficult catching serious offenders compared with today.

I always say/think that when watching stuff like this with my wife. She was watching a documentary the other day about the student from Hull who was murdered on her way home from a night out. It’s all pieces together and you can see the scumbag on CCTV both before and afterwards to the point that it was very conclusive. Back in the days before that, and before the advances in forensics how would you even know where to start?

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14460 on: May 24, 2023, 11:11:27 am »

I thought of you when I saw the adverts for this youve mentioned liking Dramas based on real crimes. 
Ive got a few shows on at the moment but might get this on the list. If its good?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14461 on: May 24, 2023, 11:53:40 am »
I thought of you when I saw the adverts for this youve mentioned liking Dramas based on real crimes. 
Ive got a few shows on at the moment but might get this on the list. If its good?

Yeah, it's good so far mate.  Only watched the first ep though.  The heartbreak of one of the fathers of one of the murdered girls is very sad to watch.

Aside from the story, I love checking out the old cars, fashions, and stuff.

Smokey bars with on-duty CID blokes wearing sheepskin jackets, chugging whiskey.  :)

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14462 on: May 24, 2023, 12:33:01 pm »
Yeah, it's good so far mate.  Only watched the first ep though.  The heartbreak of one of the fathers of one of the murdered girls is very sad to watch.

Aside from the story, I love checking out the old cars, fashions, and stuff.

Smokey bars with on-duty CID blokes wearing sheepskin jackets, chugging whiskey.  :)

Yeah I liked Life on Mars for that.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #14463 on: May 24, 2023, 09:26:03 pm »
Yeah I liked Life on Mars for that.

Same, mate. "Endeavor" is another one.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14464 on: May 26, 2023, 01:41:29 pm »
Poker Face. Any good?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #14465 on: May 26, 2023, 03:31:28 pm »
Anyone else watching Silo on apple tv? really enjoyed the first two eps and interested to see where it's going.

Spoiler
Only annoying thing was the name of one of the characters, if you know, you know ;D
[close]

I know!
Have watched the first 3 episodes and enjoying it
Music is Westworldy..
Concept is good

Has potential this one

Poker Face. Any good?

I enjoyed season 1 - the lead is a good actress
There is a main story and then a lot of filler episodes along the way, equally enjoyable, quite formulaic (spelling?)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 03:34:20 pm by redk84 »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14466 on: May 26, 2023, 04:27:24 pm »
Poker Face. Any good?

I watched three episodes, I'm not a fan but I imagine some people really liking it, I find it annoying.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14467 on: May 26, 2023, 06:07:16 pm »
I enjoyed season 1 - the lead is a good actress
There is a main story and then a lot of filler episodes along the way, equally enjoyable, quite formulaic (spelling?)

She's great in Russian Doll.

I watched three episodes, I'm not a fan but I imagine some people really liking it, I find it annoying.
Ah okay. Will see once I've completed other stuff first.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14468 on: May 26, 2023, 07:36:11 pm »
Poker Face. Any good?

Modern day columbo, but i watched it

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14469 on: May 26, 2023, 09:17:47 pm »
We enjoyed Poker Face, something light-hearted and a bit different, the episode in the nursing home was probably my favourite.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14470 on: May 26, 2023, 11:46:55 pm »

Also just did the first three and thought it was brilliant  :D different strokes.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14471 on: May 27, 2023, 08:09:22 am »
We ended up watching 4 episodes last night of Poker Face, absolutely love it, this role was made for Natasha Lyonne, she's so good in it.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14472 on: May 27, 2023, 11:29:30 am »
Good stuff re Poker Face

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14473 on: May 27, 2023, 08:31:02 pm »
Watch it all, there's some good fun in it.

Spoiler
but fucking hell the ending is pure shite
[close]

Offline Razors Razor

• Sworn enemy of Occam's Occam.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14474 on: May 27, 2023, 11:39:15 pm »
Watching 'Colin from Accounts',very enjoyable Australian comedy.

Came in here to mention that, but catching up in the thread beforehand. Cracking little series with some proper belly laughs as well.

Offline Razors Razor

• Sworn enemy of Occam's Occam.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14475 on: May 27, 2023, 11:43:46 pm »
Barry s4

Crap, didn't know they'd portion out the episodes :(

Anyhoot. First two was good, just as the show is. It's very very good.
Thought the 3rd series was awful compared to the first 2. Might jib it off then.

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14476 on: May 28, 2023, 10:57:46 am »

Spoiler
[close]

Absolutely

Spoiler
the last two episodes were so bad and out of character with the rest of the show
[close]

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14477 on: May 28, 2023, 09:45:31 pm »

I can see that. Though I like it.

Poker Face. Any good?

I'm about four episodes in and it's been really enjoyable so far, definitely worth watching at least the first two/three episodes to see if it's your kind of thing.

Nice surprise to see John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats in one of the episodes as well :D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14478 on: May 29, 2023, 07:05:19 pm »
Ok, maybe a bit late to the game….

But I’ve just watched Squid Game

Just an utterly incredible programme. A work of genius
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14479 on: May 30, 2023, 09:09:42 am »

Spoiler
[close]

Yeah I’m about 7 episodes in and enjoying it a lot, the two leads are fantastic (especially the woman, she’s brilliant and fit).