Author Topic: Apex Legends  (Read 7302 times)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Apex Legends
« on: February 7, 2019, 08:22:35 am »
New Game - Don't believe there is a thread yet.

It is a Battle Royale game - I had only played Fortnite and Blackout in that game type before, hated Fortnite and Blackout was meh at best.

THIS game however is right up my street, the map is very cool and diverse, different characters have different abilities so you can really mix up gameplay and it is just well thought out with little tidbits done well such as:

• R1 to ping a location, double tap it to ping an enemy, press and holds to choose a specific type of ping such as defend or attack this location, single tap to ping an item or weapon for your team
  • Character display for your team shows who is firing or being fired on
  • The sliding down hill or ability to holster weapon
  • Map Design and Weapon Design, very varied
  • Game menu and ease of use/intuitive
  • Characters are very diff, abilities very diff and can really change the way you play
  • You can revive players but if they die you can still grab their "badge" and revive them (albeit without any gear) from revive points around the map, this is exposed though but it's a good way of coming back to the fight if you die early and your squad kills the attackers
  • When you win games and become Top Killer your picture will show up around the map on banners, tiny but cool feature

I have won 7 games so far, I would really attribute that to my friend being good with Pathfinder, his ability is to zipline around the map, I thought it sounded shit but it means he can get into sniping positions or hiding positions no one else can, her can also check beacons which show him and his team the location of the next circle which means you can get to the next zone and defend it before everyone else, super useful.

For me I like Bloodhoud, his ability is class, especially towards the end when everyone is hiding! I also like Caustic for the end and controlling chokepoints.

This is my best round: https://twitter.com/randomPH1L/status/1093251684812361729

Anyways, thoughts?

« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 10:59:22 am by PhilV »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Apex Legends
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2019, 08:34:46 am »
It's ok like. Played a few games, prefer it over fortnite but think blackout is way better.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2019, 09:40:47 am »
Only played the one game, which was laggy (think it was more my end) but all the plus points you’ve made, added to the Titanfall shooting mechanics being my personal favourite, means I’ll be getting stuck into this. They’ve got another game in the Titanfall world in the works too, really underrated franchise.
AHA!

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2019, 11:14:47 am »
Played it a little and wanted to like it, but I found myself often dumping 10-15 rounds of 'heavy' ammo into people only for them to run through it all and escape, which just felt wrong and often led to me tracking someone, getting the drop on them and then getting dragged into fighting a full team while my teammates carried on looting 50 metres away.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2019, 11:19:56 am »
Downloaded this yesterday. Haven't played it yet. I have PUBG and quite enjoyed it but never played Fortnite (watching my nephew watch YouTube videos of Fortnite for hours on end kind of put me off).

Will give this a good rattle over the weekend.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2019, 11:36:58 am »
Never got into the BR games, not my type at all but i did enjoy titanfall, so may get this since it’s set in the same universe.

Just a shame there’s no free running.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2019, 11:50:34 am »
Will this BR craze ever die?

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2019, 11:56:26 am »

Hopefully. Just not my kind of games at all.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: February 7, 2019, 12:48:11 pm »

It happens all the time in gaming. A new craze comes and takes over with all the studios wanting to make their own versions, and then slowly 'calms down', although never completely going away. Think open-world games is probably the best, most recent example.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #9 on: February 7, 2019, 12:50:13 pm »
Gonna give this a go later today, looks interesting.  Wasn't keen on PubG but enjoyed H1Z1.  Fortnite can suck a dick.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #10 on: February 7, 2019, 06:44:22 pm »
I mean it does so much right, but the gun play isn't at all satisfying in my opinion. Tons of the weapons are woefully underpowered, meaning any attempts to play remotely aggressively are almost always met with a big fat boot to the face.

It could be great fun, but for me right now it's hard work.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 7, 2019, 07:08:59 pm »
I mean it does so much right, but the gun play isn't at all satisfying in my opinion. Tons of the weapons are woefully underpowered, meaning any attempts to play remotely aggressively are almost always met with a big fat boot to the face.

It could be great fun, but for me right now it's hard work.
It's a FTP game. It's supposed to be hard work. It's doing its job well when you feel that way. You think "this could be great if I had said weapon, or said power up!" Then you stick your hand in your pocket to get it instead of doing the hard work.

Makes me wonder why Battlefront wasn't FTP also.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #12 on: February 7, 2019, 07:16:38 pm »
It's a FTP game. It's supposed to be hard work. It's doing its job well when you feel that way. You think "this could be great if I had said weapon, or said power up!" Then you stick your hand in your pocket to get it instead of doing the hard work.

True, but the microtransactions are cosmetic only aren't they? It just doesn't feel rewarding to get into a gunfight at the moment. I'm probably just doing it wrong, I'm still used to playing BF4.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 7, 2019, 07:22:10 pm »

Makes me wonder why Battlefront wasn't FTP also.

You can't buy in game weapons though you have to loot them, micro-transactions are just for new characters and cosmetics I believe. I have the same issue with the game, you can stalk someone, get to cover and light them up when they're in the open, and they'll just run 50 feet to cover without going down. It feels a bit like Overwatch in that respect, which isn't really my thing.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »
10 million players in 3 days. Insane numbers.

Not really bothered about BR games but this is great.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2019, 02:53:58 pm »
I'm sticking with this, it is really good fun and I am getting better with using some of the characters abilities and it MASSIVELY turns the tide of fights when you can deploy abilities that compliment each other and so on, still love Caustic for crowd control. Mirage I want to like but don't think I know how/when to use him right.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2019, 04:32:57 pm »
I have no idea what's happening at any point in any game at the moment.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 8, 2019, 04:33:13 pm »
10 million players in 3 days. Insane numbers.

Not really bothered about BR games but this is great.

Think it's the way to go for games like these. I think Activision will follow suit at some point down the line. Tying Blackout into Call of Duty BO4 isn't the best way for people to have the opportunity to experience it.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #18 on: February 8, 2019, 06:19:37 pm »
Just wish the weapons were more visually distinct from one-another. Seem to find way too many guns that aren't assault rifles as well. Not sure why they opted to include an SMG and a shotgun that look like pistols, it's kinda vital that you can immediately recognise the gun you're looking at in a battle royale

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #19 on: February 8, 2019, 07:34:29 pm »
Yeah the pistol shotgun thing messed me up too, but I think the weapons are actually from Titanfall or something?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 9, 2019, 11:05:03 am »
Yeah the pistol shotgun thing messed me up too, but I think the weapons are actually from Titanfall or something?

The whole game is set in the Titanfall universe, so all the weapons are the same as the ones you get in TF.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 10:44:30 am »
Is there a mechanism in the game where if you're close to someone it'll switch to punches instead of guns?  Because I swear I randomly end up trying to punch instead of fire a weapon and it confuses the hell out of me.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:13 pm »
Is there a mechanism in the game where if you're close to someone it'll switch to punches instead of guns?  Because I swear I randomly end up trying to punch instead of fire a weapon and it confuses the hell out of me.

No, probably just pressing down on R3 when trying to aim?

I am loving it still, getting a bit harder as with the hype better players have joined, have seen people with 500+ kills and considering the game has been out a week and there is only 56 possible kills per game (but think max is 27) some people are gaming waaaaaay crazy hours!

Won a game with each character now except Gibraltar so am using him now, hate his passive shield thought, can never surprise anyone cause I glow up like a nutter when I aim! So shit.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 12:07:54 pm »
No, probably just pressing down on R3 when trying to aim?

I am loving it still, getting a bit harder as with the hype better players have joined, have seen people with 500+ kills and considering the game has been out a week and there is only 56 possible kills per game (but think max is 27) some people are gaming waaaaaay crazy hours!

Won a game with each character now except Gibraltar so am using him now, hate his passive shield thought, can never surprise anyone cause I glow up like a nutter when I aim! So shit.

Pretty sure I'm not pressing anything else but will look out for it.  How are you picking up those wins, are you in a squad?  I've finished second a few times, but I've only played around 20-30 games.  Give me tips.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 12:28:08 pm »
Pretty sure I'm not pressing anything else but will look out for it.  How are you picking up those wins, are you in a squad?  I've finished second a few times, but I've only played around 20-30 games.  Give me tips.

I play with friends yeah, got about 6-7 mates who are into this, we normally finish in the top 3-5 but got about 10 wins so far in about 50 games I'd say? Rank 28 atm.

Combo that works well for me is Hemlock + EVA 8 or I will use a Wingman + Triple Take

A lot of people loving the Peacekeeper + Precision Choke, it hits hard as fuck - btw the R-301 or whatever its called, the normal ammo carbine melts people, it's brutal and very accurate

This is my best round: https://twitter.com/randomPH1L/status/1094717830069714945

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:11 pm »
Nice, you guys wrecked.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:49 pm »
I'm enjoying this a lot more now, still think the time to kill is too long, but it gets better the more you play.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:44 pm »
TTK is fine for me, I'm used to similar in Battleborn, same as the ping system (though this version of it is way better - such a clever addition).

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 06:41:58 pm »
TTK is fine for me, I'm used to similar in Battleborn, same as the ping system (though this version of it is way better - such a clever addition).

Whats the ping system?
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:08 pm »
Hope they add a proper stat-tracking screen to see how many wins I've got. Assume that'll come with the first season pass.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:41 am »
Whats the ping system?

You can ping the location of enemies/items and it lets your team mates know.  It's really handy if you spot a weapon, for example, that you already have or don't want - ping its location and one of your team mates can come pick it up.

Picked up my first win last night, good times.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 10:42:53 am »
You can ping the location of enemies/items and it lets your team mates know.  It's really handy if you spot a weapon, for example, that you already have or don't want - ping its location and one of your team mates can come pick it up.

Picked up my first win last night, good times.

Congrats dude.

I heard Solo and Duo mode coming due to player demand, personally think that's a mistake, if you want to play that go play Fortnite or whatever - this game with different abilities to each operator etc means in Solo's everyone might end up as Bangalore spamming smokes and orbital drops, think it's an error and won't be playing that mode.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:45 am »
Yeah not interested in solo, the 3 man squads are a really good balance at the moment.

Offline trav2591

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 12:01:07 pm »
Picked up this game after getting bored of Fifa 19. I'm not to great at first person shooter games but my god this game has a huge skill curve.

Must of played about 25-30 games and only recorded 1 kill. Wish the match-making would stop putting you with players who are clearly much better.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »
I heard Solo and Duo mode coming due to player demand, personally think that's a mistake, if you want to play that go play Fortnite or whatever - this game with different abilities to each operator etc means in Solo's everyone might end up as Bangalore spamming smokes and orbital drops, think it's an error and won't be playing that mode.

I don't fancy the idea of solos either, doesn't fit the balance of the game/powers and stuff. That being said, the game can be a pretty shit experience as a lone player if your two given squad mates decide to fuck off instantly and everyone you come across after that has a 3 on 1 advantage.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 01:56:27 pm »
Tying Blackout into Call of Duty BO4 isn't the best way for people to have the opportunity to experience it.

Aye, had they of released it separately for about £20, they would of done a lot better, even though the game is now a hot mess.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 01:30:45 pm »
Pretty pointless playing this if you're new to this kind of game. Why am I getting put in lobbies with people who have 100s of wins in my first game?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2019, 03:17:13 pm »
Pretty pointless playing this if you're new to this kind of game. Why am I getting put in lobbies with people who have 100s of wins in my first game?

Battle royale doesn't work like traditional competitive MP. Usually your paired with similar players on say tdm or whatever. But because the lobby has to be full of 100 people or 60 in the case of Apex then they aren't gonna wait to fill the lobbies with similar ranked players.

At least i think that's why.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2019, 07:35:59 pm »
It's not too bad when one member of another team has loads of experience and kills, but if you're in a match with a bunch of sweaty try-hards all on the same team, you've got little to no chance of winning.  But this is what happens with any team video game, the better players flock together, gang up and stomp casuals.  Hopefully somewhere down the line there's proper matchmaking in Apex.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2019, 09:46:33 am »
Just started playing this ( ps4 ) still learning the ropes like..

If anyone would like to play with add me Harperlfc :)