Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games  (Read 319755 times)

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games
« Reply #3640 on: October 18, 2019, 09:47:04 pm »
Just seen the trailer for the PC version.  Looks like I'll be buying this twice.  Damn you Rockstar!!!

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3641 on: October 18, 2019, 10:04:37 pm »
Just seen the trailer for the PC version.  Looks like I'll be buying this twice.  Damn you Rockstar!!!
I'll finally get to actually play the game

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3642 on: November 6, 2019, 04:39:32 pm »
didn't realise there's a PC version out, tempted since I prefer PC gaming anyway but think you'd need a very decent rig to run it nicely
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3643 on: November 6, 2019, 05:59:02 pm »
PC version is a mess and doesn't run very well right now. I'd wait.
:D

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3644 on: November 7, 2019, 09:10:22 am »
PC version is a mess and doesn't run very well right now. I'd wait.

Yep, an understatement if anything.  A lot of folks can't even get the game fired up due to problems with the launcher.  As for the (un)optimization, I thought that Rockstar might have learned their lesson after how well they optimized GTA V following the backlash from the horribly optimized GTA IV.  They've kept their PC customers waiting a year now since the console versions were released in what is a cynical cash-grab, so to release the game in this state is insulting to their PC consumer base.  I've seen videos of the FPS dropping into the thirties on a 2070 at 1080p, which is a fucking joke.  For all of the shit that Ubisoft get over the Assassin's Creed optimization, those games run like a dream compared to this.  As I said in another thread, they (Rockstar) have been on the slide with their practices for some time now.  CDPR they ain't.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3645 on: November 9, 2019, 08:13:30 am »
Ended up getting this again last night for £30 odd quid by setting my VPN to the Ukraine ;D.  Seems to run fine on my PC (Ryzen1800x, GTX1080 and 16GB of fast ram).  They must have patched it since release.  FPS rarely dipped below 60 with pretty high settings enabled.  I'll give it a good hammering over the weekend to see if I encounter any issues.

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3646 on: November 9, 2019, 01:04:21 pm »
Ended up getting this again last night for £30 odd quid by setting my VPN to the Ukraine ;D.  Seems to run fine on my PC (Ryzen1800x, GTX1080 and 16GB of fast ram).  They must have patched it since release.  FPS rarely dipped below 60 with pretty high settings enabled.  I'll give it a good hammering over the weekend to see if I encounter any issues.

What resolution are you running at?

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3647 on: November 9, 2019, 01:22:33 pm »
1440.  Just fired it up and now it's running like arse  :butt.

Edit: Had a mess about with some settings and I've managed to get it working pretty well.  FPS isn't the best (between 40 and 67, with an average of 55) but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did on the PS4 pro.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2019, 03:24:17 pm by DHKopper »

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3648 on: November 10, 2019, 09:16:50 am »

Edit: Had a mess about with some settings and I've managed to get it working pretty well.  FPS isn't the best (between 40 and 67, with an average of 55) but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did on the PS4 pro.

...and yet Rockstar listed the recommended card for the game as a 1060.  Just came from watching a 1440p benchmark where a 2080ti/9900k combo was dropping to the low 60s.  Also a gameplay vid of a 1080ti dropping to the low 40s.  It's a fucking mess, so I'm not suprised that you're struggling mate.  Looking at the numbers I don't think that CPU power/Ram speed is a major factor, but the game just massacres GPUs.  I have a 5700 xt and am probably going to play at 1080p with a sharpening filter, because fuck 40FPS. 

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3649 on: November 10, 2019, 09:41:35 am »
...and yet Rockstar listed the recommended card for the game as a 1060.  Just came from watching a 1440p benchmark where a 2080ti/9900k combo was dropping to the low 60s.  Also a gameplay vid of a 1080ti dropping to the low 40s.  It's a fucking mess, so I'm not suprised that you're struggling mate.  Looking at the numbers I don't think that CPU power/Ram speed is a major factor, but the game just massacres GPUs.  I have a 5700 xt and am probably going to play at 1080p with a sharpening filter, because fuck 40FPS. 

That's Rockastar for you, don't give a toss about PC's even though the game was written on one :/

Good video for GFX settings :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=paR_oZtNmyI&feature=emb_logo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:50:03 am by [new username under construction] »

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3650 on: November 10, 2019, 12:21:06 pm »
That's Rockastar for you, don't give a toss about PC's even though the game was written on one :/

Good video for GFX settings :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=paR_oZtNmyI&feature=emb_logo

Yeah, I agree mate.  I think the fact that Rockstar make PC users wait a whole year and then still release a buggy, unoptimized game is what really grates.  Thanks for the video.  I think that I might go with 1440p on high with ultra textures when I get around to buying it (waiting to see if they fix it first).  That seems to look really nice from the vid I've seen, whilst staying around the 60FPS mark with my card (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOHlMn4CxvM)

Online boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3651 on: November 12, 2019, 09:03:32 am »
I just loaded this on PC, do you have to play this online? Story mode appears to put me looking for a game server or summit?
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3652 on: January 14, 2020, 09:38:22 am »

The biggest setting I've found is the graphics driver (the API)

Their own Vulkan API is dogmuck, absolutely cripples my new, powerful rig that even slings AssCreedOdyssey around at 60fps+ at ultra settings.

If anyone is struggling I heartily recommend you change it to the DirectX API in Graphics Settings - this was about 20fps difference for me

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3653 on: February 17, 2020, 08:32:26 am »
The biggest setting I've found is the graphics driver (the API)

Their own Vulkan API is dogmuck, absolutely cripples my new, powerful rig that even slings AssCreedOdyssey around at 60fps+ at ultra settings.

If anyone is struggling I heartily recommend you change it to the DirectX API in Graphics Settings - this was about 20fps difference for me

Vulkan isn't Rockstar's API and if you're getting a 20fps difference I think that maybe you have some sort of technical/installation issue with Vulkan.  Every single benchmark I've seen shows dx12 and vulkan pretty much on par, with Vulkan more often than not marginally ahead in frames per second.

Odyssey is a somewhat pointless benchmark as it's far easier on the GPU than Red Dead (even a non-xt 5700 will hit around 80fps at ultra/1080p and 50-60 at 1440p ultra) yet it's both much harder on and more reliant on CPU performance and RAM speed for performance than RDR2.  It makes it an apples and oranges type comparison. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:36:28 am by Darren G »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3654 on: February 17, 2020, 11:07:49 am »
Vulkan isn't Rockstar's API and if you're getting a 20fps difference I think that maybe you have some sort of technical/installation issue with Vulkan.  Every single benchmark I've seen shows dx12 and vulkan pretty much on par, with Vulkan more often than not marginally ahead in frames per second.

True, it's not Rockstar's but my differences are pretty stark. Here's a benchmark that sides with DirectX over Vulkan for RDR2(even if the FPS is strictly higher with Vulkan)

Odyssey is a somewhat pointless benchmark as it's far easier on the GPU than Red Dead (even a non-xt 5700 will hit around 80fps at ultra/1080p and 50-60 at 1440p ultra) yet it's both much harder on and more reliant on CPU performance and RAM speed for performance than RDR2.  It makes it an apples and oranges type comparison.

True, but I just used it as an example of a game my system flings around without a problem  :)

Might get a new generation graphics card later in the year anyway. Not playing RDR2 anymore mind.

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: February 17, 2020, 11:50:49 am »
True, it's not Rockstar's but my differences are pretty stark. Here's a benchmark that sides with DirectX over Vulkan for RDR2(even if the FPS is strictly higher with Vulkan)

True, but I just used it as an example of a game my system flings around without a problem  :)

Might get a new generation graphics card later in the year anyway. Not playing RDR2 anymore mind.

Yeah, you can make the argument for the 1 percent lows being better for dx12, but it's really a barely noticeable difference when playing.  I'd be interested to see what sort of performance you get from other games with Vulkan such as Doom, because as I said, from the difference you described in your original post it appears that you have some sort of issue. 

I think that one thing that is beyond doubt is that the game is horribly optimised regardless of which API you use.  When the games' frames per second is dropping into the high 40s/ low 50s at 1080p/ultra with a 5700xt or a 2070s being maxed then it's pretty badly fucked.   

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #3656 on: February 21, 2020, 08:10:01 am »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #3657 on: February 21, 2020, 12:43:34 pm »
This is a wonderful read...it's worth your time if you enjoyed the game..seriously.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/games/news/rdr2-reddit-essay-mother-dutch-van-der-linde-benjamin-byron-davis-a9341731.html
I tried to read it, but gave up after the 40th pop up and request to answer a question for access to the article.  What an awful website.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3658 on: February 21, 2020, 01:41:21 pm »
I tried to read it, but gave up after the 40th pop up and request to answer a question for access to the article.  What an awful website.

Here's the reddit original.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/f31bz4/at_75_my_mother_decided_to_play_through_red_dead/
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3660 on: February 21, 2020, 03:48:16 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3661 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:50 pm »
Here's the reddit original.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/f31bz4/at_75_my_mother_decided_to_play_through_red_dead/

Brilliant.

“I tried it,” he said, “but I don’t really have time to stay with the story with two young children climbing all over me.” --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You mean the character in the game is like your son?” “No”, I replied, “the character in the game is my son.” He was baffled. “The actor who plays Dutch van der Linde is my son.” “Oh. you mean, he gave the voice to the animated figure?” Apparently, this guy had never heard of performance capture and how the game’s animation is framed by digital recordings of the actual actions and expressions of the actors. “Performance capture.” I explained, “you know they wear the leotards with electric ping pong balls all over them?” “Oh yeah,” the technician nodded, clearly impressed, unsure by what. “Well, good luck with it,” the young man said, “Hope you win.”

Win? Proof positive that he had never played Red Dead Redemption 2

He's one of them,done everything but in reality has done feck all
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #3662 on: February 26, 2020, 03:00:52 pm »
I spent way too many hours last night staring at a treasure map and trying, unsuccessfully, to find a tree with treasure hidden in it. 

I need to get out more  ;D

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3663 on: April 13, 2020, 09:43:32 pm »
Just been thinking, with this generation of consoles coming to an end this would leave ps4/xbox one with just the 1 original release (red dead 2). In comparison the previous generation had max payne 3, gta 4 and gta 5, la noire, (something called midnight club). Just been reading dan housers left aswell and his brothers now honorary president.

Just like with every other company in game purchases have made them lazy. No DLC for gta 5 or red dead 2 is poor imo. Rockstar are the only games i play besides ea sports
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3664 on: April 13, 2020, 09:52:53 pm »
Just been thinking, with this generation of consoles coming to an end this would leave ps4/xbox one with just the 1 original release (red dead 2). In comparison the previous generation had max payne 3, gta 4 and gta 5, la noire, (something called midnight club). Just been reading dan housers left aswell and his brothers now honorary president.

Just like with every other company in game purchases have made them lazy. No DLC for gta 5 or red dead 2 is poor imo. Rockstar are the only games i play besides ea sports

RD2 didn't need DLC,why would you be upset that they didn't make a play for extra money ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Horizon

• Main Stander
« Reply #3665 on: April 13, 2020, 10:30:27 pm »
Sorry but this is so overrated, games are meant to be fun, this is American cow boy simulation zzzzzz.

5 hours in I give up, the game is a fucking chore not gonna spend my time off from work to feel like i'm still at work on my PS4..
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:48:54 pm by Horizon »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3666 on: April 20, 2020, 09:11:31 am »
I brought this on discount from the PS store last week, although the area is massive, i'm not finding it as enjoyable to play as GTA V, main issues are the long hikes to start missions from the safe camp that missions take 20 30 minutes or more to complete, the amount of predators[not just the Pinkertons] take some getting used to too
#Sausages

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3667 on: April 20, 2020, 10:32:43 am »
The Red Dead franchise is meant to be "as realistic a recreation of the old west as possible", according to the book about Rockstar studios

It isn't meant to be GTAV. It's meant to be, basically, an immersive sim, not something suited to 15 minute play sessions

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3668 on: April 20, 2020, 10:49:36 am »
The Red Dead franchise is meant to be "as realistic a recreation of the old west as possible", according to the book about Rockstar studios

It isn't meant to be GTAV. It's meant to be, basically, an immersive sim, not something suited to 15 minute play sessions

Which book is this? Wouldn't mind reading it.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3669 on: April 20, 2020, 11:10:34 am »
Which book is this? Wouldn't mind reading it.

Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto

by David Kushner

(he also did Masters of Doom I think, which is a boss book!)

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #3670 on: April 20, 2020, 11:35:26 am »

I'm not sure I'm fully on board with that, because clearly Dutch would have a bullet put in his head by his mates in the real West for being a dumb motherfucker coming up idiotic plans every time... ;)

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3671 on: April 20, 2020, 12:55:06 pm »
I'm not sure I'm fully on board with that, because clearly Dutch would have a bullet put in his head by his mates in the real West for being a dumb motherfucker coming up idiotic plans every time... ;)

;D

The most realistic game ever - lasts five minutes as you top Dutch out of sheer annoyance after his first custscene.

£70.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #3672 on: April 20, 2020, 02:26:10 pm »
;D

The most realistic game ever - lasts five minutes as you top Dutch out of sheer annoyance after his first custscene.

£70.

It took a bit longer for me as at first I was rather fascinated with the whole atmosphere and that. However, after a couple of hours there really came a point where I was thinking "WTF?!?! This will all go tits up again you stupid idiot... " :D

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3673 on: April 23, 2020, 02:08:35 pm »
RDR2 is on Game Pass from the 7th of May.

Offline Horizon

• Main Stander
« Reply #3674 on: April 23, 2020, 03:31:26 pm »
Not gonna lie gamepass is killing it ,you got a ton of games to last you a life time for what £30-40 a year . Much cheaper than investing in PS4/PS5. Netflix of gaming basically .

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3675 on: April 23, 2020, 09:24:25 pm »
Not gonna lie gamepass is killing it ,you got a ton of games to last you a life time for what £30-40 a year . Much cheaper than investing in PS4/PS5. Netflix of gaming basically .

How is it cheaper? You still have to invest in the hardware. You also need to wait for 3rd party games to come out on the service at a later date. So its only cheaper if you don't buy any 3rd party launch games and then wait for an unspecified length of time for that game to come to the service, if it even comes at all. Enjoy RDR2 if you haven't played it, its a cracking experience, that I played 18 months back. For some people thats fine, for others not so much.

I say that as a gamepass subscriber, there is alot and I mean alot of shite on that service. Stuff you will never touch in your life. Its only great value if you literally think MS first party output is good (which it isn't) and if your willing to wait a year or two for a potential 3rd party game. No enthusiast is doing that. A casual player maybe, someone who gets games they look forward to when they come out, definately not.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:43:32 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3676 on: April 24, 2020, 06:35:44 am »
Gamepass is ridiculous value, especially with the initial offer. Ive had it for over a year and only paid for two months, what with the offer and spending Microsoft points.  Outer Worlds, Gears 5, Ori, Devil May Cry 5 all on launch day and there for good.  You probably couldn't spend £7.99 a month bette,r in terms of gaming.

The main problem, and it doesn't affect me as I own copies, is that youll really need to invest time in games like RDR2, GTA 5, Fallout 4 because they have a finite amount of time on Gamepass, before you know it you're half way through a game and it disappears.  Think you get like a months notice.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3677 on: April 24, 2020, 08:19:40 am »
GTA is leaving the same day RDR2 joins.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3678 on: April 24, 2020, 09:18:42 am »
Gamepass is ridiculous value, especially with the initial offer. Ive had it for over a year and only paid for two months, what with the offer and spending Microsoft points.  Outer Worlds, Gears 5, Ori, Devil May Cry 5 all on launch day and there for good.  You probably couldn't spend £7.99 a month bette,r in terms of gaming.

The main problem, and it doesn't affect me as I own copies, is that youll really need to invest time in games like RDR2, GTA 5, Fallout 4 because they have a finite amount of time on Gamepass, before you know it you're half way through a game and it disappears.  Think you get like a months notice.

Devil May Cry V wasn't a launch day game on game pass. It launched in March, didn't come to gamepass till August.

For me, its value is relative to how enthusiastic you are about AAA games and MS first party.  I'm enthusiastic about most AAA games so I don't wait for them to maybe come to gamepass. Half of the buzz is buying something you've been looking forward to the day it comes out.

If MS first party was on par with nintendo and playstation then it would be better value.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:30:11 am by naYoRHa2b »

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3679 on: April 24, 2020, 12:45:36 pm »
For £7.99 a month its ridiculous value, Gold costs £6.99, so for an extra £1 a month you get access to the Gamepass library. A complete no-brainer.