Author Topic: FSG (*)  (Read 831769 times)

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FSG (*)
« Reply #9000 on: April 22, 2017, 07:16:57 pm »
Apologies didn't see John's post above ;D ;D ;D ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9001 on: April 22, 2017, 07:22:41 pm »
Look at where Spurs were 19 years ago though under Levy they have gone from a lower mid table team, to a mid table team, to an upper mid table to a team that challenges year in year out for the CL places all with a much smaller budget than their peers.

As for a comparison with ourselves their average finishing position has been much better than ours since FSG arrived and with a much smaller income and a much smaller wage bill.

When FSG arrived, they had a mess of a club to sort out, a lot to learn, and Spurs were already finishing higher than them in the league. Despite that they have won the same number of trophies, been in more finals and are improving in the league at a rate that I believe will have us challenging for the league title, not just top four, all in a fraction of the time it took Spurs owners to achieve the same/less.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9002 on: April 22, 2017, 07:46:52 pm »
You've been one of my fav posters over the years mate, you know that  :wave  but it's not unknown that other stuff goes on behind the scenes on RAWK and Al is part of some important stuff :)

I'm not agreeing with his stance in this thread, just sayin :)
Apologies didn't see John's post above ;D ;D ;D ;D

Duly noted sirs. Duly noted. Happy to take both points on the chin

Myself and Al don't always see eye to eye, but I've commended his passion for the club on numerous occasions.

I certainly wouldn't question him or knock him on that front. It's obvious he's a good red at heart

Apologies if my post came across the wrong way. In hindsight, the wording and tone of it was off side

As you were  :)
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9003 on: April 22, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »
 :thumbup

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9004 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26:12 pm »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9005 on: April 22, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »
When FSG arrived, they had a mess of a club to sort out, a lot to learn, and Spurs were already finishing higher than them in the league. Despite that they have won the same number of trophies, been in more finals and are improving in the league at a rate that I believe will have us challenging for the league title, not just top four, all in a fraction of the time it took Spurs owners to achieve the same/less.

The likelihood is that Spurs will finish above us this season.

If they do it will provide a statistical symmetry if you include the 10/11 season when FSG arrived in October then in the seven seasons pre FSG we finished above Spurs in six seasons out of seven.

Post FSG Spurs have finished above us in six seasons out of seven.

I am not looking to compare us with Spurs or saying we should look to emulate them but if we could over achieve in relation to our relative resources the way they have then we would be in a much better position.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9006 on: April 22, 2017, 08:42:43 pm »
Heh.

Let Spurs start their stadium works with 800Mn loan they are about to go under. We'll see the comparitive trajectories of both club's progress then.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #9007 on: April 22, 2017, 08:50:40 pm »
Heh.

Let Spurs start their stadium works with 800Mn loan they are about to go under. We'll see the comparitive trajectories of both club's progress then.

Bit small time this isn't it? - thinking that building a bigger more modern stadium will somehow set them back. Admire their ambition personally - wish we had more of it. It sucks for us - would be nicer if a) they weren't so ambitious and b) they weren't so well run - we don't really need another long term competitor for the top slots but we've probably got one.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9008 on: April 22, 2017, 09:00:20 pm »
What exactly tells you that we would stop our progress while Spurs 'show' their ambition Jack ? Pointing out that they would be set back a lot, financially and consequentially, in the transfer market by the loan is not wishful thinking. Or have you forgotten how Arsenal are still struggling with achieving top status after their stadium loan was repaid ?

As for them being so well run, let them achieve something successful first. A higher league position is not success, unless you're thinking in Evertonian logic. They were just trounced in a cup final, were eliminated by a European minnow in Genk. They have a manager who shows promise, but cannot string wins away from home, a difficulty to be compounded next season.

So tell me, how they are better run and on a higher trajectory of progression than us please.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9009 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:13 pm »
Bit small time this isn't it? - thinking that building a bigger more modern stadium will somehow set them back. Admire their ambition personally - wish we had more of it. It sucks for us - would be nicer if a) they weren't so ambitious and b) they weren't so well run - we don't really need another long term competitor for the top slots but we've probably got one.

How so?

An £800m loan needs repaying, and the additional £650m they are spending to get a stadium the same size and Anfield will not bring in anymore revenue bar the London ticket increase (which we can't benefit from no matter if we spend £50 or £5000m on a stadium).

Creating an over elaborate stadium is not really ambition. I mean it was to Hicks and Gillet, but it's not really.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9010 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:24 pm »
Heh.

May I suggest you google 'Tavistock Group' before you make crazy statements about Spurs going under.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9011 on: April 22, 2017, 09:12:10 pm »
May I suggest you google 'Tavistock Group' before you make crazy statements about Spurs going under.

I meant take the loan. Perhaps I should have worded better. Go under did not mean administration or financial default.

They'd be severely restricted.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9012 on: April 22, 2017, 09:15:36 pm »
How so?

An £800m loan needs repaying, and the additional £650m they are spending to get a stadium the same size and Anfield will not bring in anymore revenue bar the London ticket increase (which we can't benefit from no matter if we spend £50 or £5000m on a stadium).

Creating an over elaborate stadium is not really ambition. I mean it was to Hicks and Gillet, but it's not really.

Double standards there mate. You cannot ignore the relative costs of Stadiums and the cost of land in between Liverpool and London on one hand and then bring up the London ticket premium on the other.

You also conveniently ignored things like the fact that Spurs will have a 100% brand new ground whilst we will have a mish mash and the fact that Spurs will be better placed in regard to naming rights and exploiting the Corporate market.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9013 on: April 22, 2017, 09:17:38 pm »
I meant take the loan. Perhaps I should have worded better. Go under did not mean administration or financial default.

They'd be severely restricted.

That depends on the terms of the repayments and how much Capital investment the owners are making.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9014 on: April 22, 2017, 09:18:56 pm »
Al involved in unpubliscised fights...

I'm imagining a bare knuckle fist fight with Fordy now....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9015 on: April 22, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »
Al involved in unpubliscised fights...

I'm imagining a bare knuckle fist fight with Fordy now....

You will have to take care of Charlie Adam first mate....
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9016 on: April 22, 2017, 09:23:14 pm »
You will have to take care of Charlie Adam first mate....
Fordy fisting Charlie, there's a sight for sore eyes.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9017 on: April 22, 2017, 09:23:38 pm »
Double standards there mate. You cannot ignore the relative costs of Stadiums and the cost of land in between Liverpool and London on one hand and then bring up the London ticket premium on the other.

I didn't ignore it, I specifically mentioned London prices. No matter if we spent £10 or £1bn on a stadium we could not benefit from them, so we cut our cloth accordingly. It does not mean we lack any more ambition in doing so.

You also conveniently ignored things like the fact that Spurs will have a 100% brand new ground whilst we will have a mish mash and the fact that Spurs will be better placed in regard to naming rights and exploiting the Corporate market.

So is a new seat worth any less?

Will us spending £800m allow us to benefit more from London placement for naming and corps?

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9018 on: April 22, 2017, 09:33:03 pm »
I didn't ignore it, I specifically mentioned London prices. No matter if we spent £10 or £1bn on a stadium we could not benefit from them, so we cut our cloth accordingly. It does not mean we lack any more ambition in doing so.

So is a new seat worth any less?

Will us spending £800m allow us to benefit more from London placement for naming and corps?

I think you have missed the point mate buying land and building in London costs far more than it does in Liverpool. So Spurs would have to spend more to do what we are doing and we would be able to build their Stadium for less in Liverpool.

So for me it is a bit unfair to talk about London premiums for tickets and Corporate facilities without acknowledging that land and construction also comes with a premium in London.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9019 on: April 22, 2017, 09:34:28 pm »
Fordy fisting Charlie, there's a sight for sore eyes.

No wonder you have that username now mate.  ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Skrtelonparole

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9020 on: April 22, 2017, 10:17:37 pm »

Yeah, fair point on comparing apples to apples on return on investments.... Then again, Spurs are currently massively overachieving, so benchmarking FSG against spurs wage/success ratio over the last 6-7 years isn't really fair either, is it?

My 2p; Sure FSG has made mistakes as they have learned on the job - but i'd much rather have them than the previous owners, and on the balance i think they have done a quite decent job, as Groundskeeper Willie's list points out... Then again, lets see how we do on transfers this summer and how happy Kloppo is with their backing once checks actually need to be signed?

Unity is Strength

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9021 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:10 pm »
Yeah, fair point on comparing apples to apples on return on investments.... Then again, Spurs are currently massively overachieving, so benchmarking FSG against spurs wage/success ratio over the last 6-7 years isn't really fair either, is it?

My 2p; Sure FSG has made mistakes as they have learned on the job - but i'd much rather have them than the previous owners, and on the balance i think they have done a quite decent job, as Groundskeeper Willie's list points out... Then again, lets see how we do on transfers this summer and how happy Kloppo is with their backing once checks actually need to be signed?

Unity is Strength

On one hand I agree that it is perhaps unfair to compare us to Spurs who have overachieved but then again plenty of people have claimed we should never finish 4th because there are four richer teams than us.

As I have said before Hodgson was a decent manager and the Konch was a decent full back but that simply doesn't cut it at Liverpool's level so why accept owners doing a decent job.

It's elite sport you cannot carry people who aren't pulling their weight so let's hope FSG step up to the plate. If not then they should face the same kind of scrutiny that decent managers and decent players face. Nothing more nothing less.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9022 on: April 22, 2017, 10:31:06 pm »
Al, why the fuck would you go back to that nonsense when the threads moving in a nice direction debate wise?! Hodgson was our worst ever manager and Konchesky would likely get into our worst ever team. Having owners who do some good things and some not so good things isn't the same as having a manager who is the complete antithesis of what a Liverpool manager should be. Can you just abandon that line of enquiry forever please :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9023 on: April 22, 2017, 10:38:37 pm »
Where has the figure of £800m come from? I thought the loan amount was in the region of £350m. They could have built a new stadium for far less but ARE showing ambition in there quest to maximise revenue.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9024 on: April 22, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »
Al, why the fuck would you go back to that nonsense when the threads moving in a nice direction debate wise?! Hodgson was our worst ever manager and Konchesky would likely get into our worst ever team. Having owners who do some good things and some not so good things isn't the same as having a manager who is the complete antithesis of what a Liverpool manager should be. Can you just abandon that line of enquiry forever please :D

Try googling Don Welsh mate.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9025 on: April 22, 2017, 10:45:45 pm »
Try googling Don Welsh mate.

Aye I know, just abandon it mate. It's Roy Hodgson. And Paul Konchesky. They're not suitable comparisons. FSG are much more Brendan Rodgers/Stig Inge Bjornebye
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #9026 on: April 22, 2017, 10:49:28 pm »
All our rivals are more ambitious than us. They are all expanding, they are all great, they are all led by super competent people. They never ever make mistakes, they are all more successful than us. Their shits smell great and they are all amazing.

We on the other hand are completely opposite to all of them.

We get it.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9027 on: April 22, 2017, 11:30:27 pm »
Aye I know, just abandon it mate. It's Roy Hodgson. And Paul Konchesky. They're not suitable comparisons. FSG are much more Brendan Rodgers/Stig Inge Bjornebye

Or we could aim for Bob Paisley/Phil Neal.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9028 on: April 22, 2017, 11:43:30 pm »
Or we could aim for Bob Paisley/Phil Neal.

Bob Paisleys and Phil Neals don't exist in football ownership.

Offline Skrtelonparole

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9029 on: April 22, 2017, 11:45:16 pm »
On one hand I agree that it is perhaps unfair to compare us to Spurs who have overachieved but then again plenty of people have claimed we should never finish 4th because there are four richer teams than us.

As I have said before Hodgson was a decent manager and the Konch was a decent full back but that simply doesn't cut it at Liverpool's level so why accept owners doing a decent job.

It's elite sport you cannot carry people who aren't pulling their weight so let's hope FSG step up to the plate. If not then they should face the same kind of scrutiny that decent managers and decent players face. Nothing more nothing less.

I can totally get on board with your line of thought.
Though for nuance - I cut the owners some slack for them actually learning on the job and in that process making their mistakes. Its still a small price to pay for the getting rid of the cancers. That slack only extends so far. Konchesky won't do for the coming years.
I'm hoping more along the lines of a... 20-year old Coutinho, having learned the ropes for a couple of years and just about ready to step up and win us the league... #believer

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9030 on: April 23, 2017, 01:29:11 am »

I don't know how you can call Anfield a mish mash - it looks pretty good to me. I would have thought 90% of fans preferred
to redevelop Anfield ....we got what we wanted and that was not some symmetrical new stadium.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9031 on: April 23, 2017, 08:14:34 am »
I think you have missed the point mate buying land and building in London costs far more than it does in Liverpool. So Spurs would have to spend more to do what we are doing and we would be able to build their Stadium for less in Liverpool.

So for me it is a bit unfair to talk about London premiums for tickets and Corporate facilities without acknowledging that land and construction also comes with a premium in London.

Oh no doubt costs are higher, however not to the tune of what they've spent, and nor does that show anymore ambition (which was the point made).

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9032 on: April 23, 2017, 08:15:07 am »
Where has the figure of £800m come from? I thought the loan amount was in the region of £350m. They could have built a new stadium for far less but ARE showing ambition in there quest to maximise revenue.

Levy confirmed it had now risen to that much. Likely to rise again before completion imo.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9033 on: April 23, 2017, 08:53:17 am »
Levy confirmed it had now risen to that much. Likely to rise again before completion imo.

The cost of the build will be closer to £800m, in part due to the introduction of sliding pitches and allowing it to become a duel use stadium. I've not heard or seen anything from Levy that claims they are looking to loan £800m though.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9034 on: April 23, 2017, 08:59:46 am »
The cost of the build will be closer to £800m, in part due to the introduction of sliding pitches and allowing it to become a duel use stadium. I've not heard or seen anything from Levy that claims they are looking to loan £800m though.

That was always planned. The price is spiralling out of control by the looks of it.

They will fund some via a naming deal no doubt, but the rest will be debt unless you're suggesting the owner will cover the cost - something they've shown no intention of doing.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #9035 on: April 23, 2017, 09:13:59 am »

Spurs haven't won a trophy in that time but we have :D

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9036 on: April 23, 2017, 09:17:05 am »
That was always planned. The price is spiralling out of control by the looks of it.

They will fund some via a naming deal no doubt, but the rest will be debt unless you're suggesting the owner will cover the cost - something they've shown no intention of doing.

The point is the loan will be nowhere near £800m which was suggested above, it will be closer to £350m.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9037 on: April 23, 2017, 09:18:16 am »
The point is the loan will be nowhere near £800m which was suggested above, it will be closer to £350m.

Based on what? Where is the other £450m coming from?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9038 on: April 23, 2017, 09:28:44 am »
Spurs haven't won a trophy in that time but we have :D

This is the point continually raised about Spurs in this thread, but it's never actually addressed.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9039 on: April 23, 2017, 09:29:35 am »
Where the hell are they pulling half a billion dollars from?