Author Topic: RAWK Flags/Banners/Surfer - Volunteers needed for Everton & West Brom  (Read 51218 times)

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
This thread is to ask for volunteers to get it out on display at the games should everything go to plan!

Essentially if we get everything falling into place the surfer will live at the ground during the season and be brought out on our behalf by the match day maintenance teams and will be put away afterwards for us once we have packed it away.

I have been advised the club will also dry it out on the seats for us in the ground if it gets wet to stop it rotting which is a nice touch!

Given the bulk sales are coming up I felt we should start thinking about volunteers. From speaking to others we'd need 3 per game potentially to get it out, displayed and put away - 2 at an absoloute minimum.

The intention is to start it with our fans next to the away supporter divide and take it off the stand in the corner of the Annie road and Kenny Dalglish stand - tactics and how this will work in practice to be confirmed!!!!

So there are two questions to ask here:

1) Do we have any lower anfield road Season ticket holders on RAWK who'd be up for helping out on a fairly regular basis?
2) For members are there any people who would like to help out on an ad hoc basis?

I think the best way forward is to ask for provisional names in this thread against specific fixtures - I will update the OP as and when people have replied.

If we can get four names against each match it will allow for people not securing tickets in the bulk sale and still mean we have an option

So can you please reply below if you can help: If you are a STH can you say so and if you are a member can you state which fixtures you will aim for in the bulk sales. Can you please update your success or otherwise next week so we can keep an eye on numbers. Sounds obvious but you will need tickets in the Lower Anfield road end!!

We don't have to get it out every match and when we know the European fixtures we will revisit the thread and update the fixture list etc etc. Also if we dont have enough hands on deck for a fixture then apologies in advance!

I should add that I am by no means assuming control of the flag but am happy to continue trying to sort logistics out and hopefully between us all we will put in place a regular rhythm that will see the flag at more games than not.

Any questions please just ask but in the meantime the first half year Premier League fixtures are below !  :wave

August 2017

Sat 19th 15:00 Crystal Palace H - hoppyLFC & lad
Sat 26th 15:00 Arsenal H -

September 2017

Sat 16th 15:00 Burnley H -

October 2017

Sat 14th 15:00 Manchester United H - Barneylfc x 2
Sat 28th 15:00 Huddersfield Town H - J_Kopite

November 2017

Sat 18th 15:00 Southampton H -
Sat 25th 15:00 Chelsea H - hoppyLFC & lad

December 2017

Sat 9th 15:00 Everton H - hoppyLFC & lad, OllieToner
Wed 13th 19:45 West Brom H - 5europeancups
Tue 26th 15:00 Swansea City H -
Sat 30th 15:00 Leicester City H -
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:28:49 am by Titty Baubles oooooh suits you, Santa! »

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
 I know you're only giving information Stoz, but it's truly a wonderful post. All the love and effort  that's gone into those flags. They should be on display every week. The Kop deserves to be awash with our flags, and ALL our songs of old. Thank you for the work you and a lot of others put in. I'd love to be nearer to help out.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I know you're only giving information Stoz, but it's truly a wonderful post. All the love and effort  that's gone into those flags. They should be on display every week. The Kop deserves to be awash with our flags, and ALL our songs of old. Thank you for the work you and a lot of others put in. I'd love to be nearer to help out.

Aye to that ...

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
A gang of us are always up for doing stuff for cup games, but can't get in the Kop regular enough to do it for league games - tend to be all over the place.

I've already got a flag that is waved on my behalf on the Kop ;D - was nice to see it actually.

In fact me and a lad off here were discussing the RAWK banner on Sunday, I remember helping Gareth drag it from the HJC across to the shop ages ago. Doubt it'll ever be out consistently again but would be good if we were back in the CL or something?
« Last Edit: May 8, 2017, 11:18:43 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Scud02 I think was behind the making of Smokin Joe and And Could He Play banners. I'm not on Facebook any more but last time I was, he was in Australia. No idea if he's back or stayed out there. Sad that there's cracking banners and flags just gathering dust.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
Scud02 I think was behind the making of Smokin Joe and And Could He Play banners. I'm not on Facebook any more but last time I was, he was in Australia. No idea if he's back or stayed out there. Sad that there's cracking banners and flags just gathering dust.

You are right on both counts, Mike now lives and works down under and yes he was behind getting the two flags made using donations fron fellow rawkites.

These two great flags are now in the possession of our flag group ( give us a follow on twitter  :) ) @OTKFlags and they get an outing only very occassionaly as we have plenty of our own flags to do, i did actually wave the 'and could he play' flag for the Southampton game but it would be nice to see these flags ( and others ) out every game.
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, stoz. We'll have a think what we can do with the RAWK surfer. What kinda timescale are we talking about to get it moved?

You're totally right about the others deserving to be out more often. I bring one of my flags intermittently and find it a bit awkward to find a spec for it. Suppose I should give you all a shout next time!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

• Legacy Fan
And thank the Good Lord that you fellas still put in the donkey work for doing what our club was always famous for. This used to distinguish us. At least in Britain. No other club in Britain has the flag tradition that we have. Our flags our unique and part of who we are and what makes us Liverpool. And for the last half century!!!
Other pretenders (Watford/Palace/ Newcastle yawn yawn!!!)  might have started  half an hour ago, but flags are part of us!
 Get them out! Every week! Get the old ones out! Sing our old songs too! Flags and songs are what we do best.

The fellas who do this labour of love understand exactly what our club is. We're not just a football club. This stuff counts as much as the results. And we need the flags more than ever these days. The selfie halfie halfie scarf brigade need to be educated on this.
Thanks fellas. You're doing a brilliant job.

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Scouse Neopolitan:

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated :)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, stoz. We'll have a think what we can do with the RAWK surfer. What kinda timescale are we talking about to get it moved?

You're totally right about the others deserving to be out more often. I bring one of my flags intermittently and find it a bit awkward to find a spec for it. Suppose I should give you all a shout next time!

They advised they're closing during June, so the sooner the better really. Ideally on or around the day of the Middlesbrough game. It just needs a couple of people to move it and maybe store it with someone who lives locally?

Regarding doing a flag in the ground, we'll always help you find a spec, no problem. Why not take on the Dalglish, or the Fagan? :)

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Quick bump

Offline FuturisticLFC

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Quick bump

Id be up for getting involved in waving a flag in the ground, season ticket holder so at the matches regularly and could help
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:25:03 pm by FuturisticLFC »

Offline Smurfite

• Main Stander
Managed to move my seasie into The Kop for next season so i'd be happy to help out with the flags.

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Id be up for getting involved in waving a flag in the ground, season ticket holder so at the matches regularly and could help
Managed to move my seasie into The Kop for next season so i'd be happy to help out with the flags.

I'll be in touch over the summer, and we'll see if you want to take on one of the flags on a regular basis. :)

• Legacy Fan
Hope there are loads on display tomorrow fellas! Thanks again and wave one for me! Wish I could be there regularly to give you a hand.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And thank the Good Lord that you fellas still put in the donkey work for doing what our club was always famous for. This used to distinguish us. At least in Britain. No other club in Britain has the flag tradition that we have. Our flags our unique and part of who we are and what makes us Liverpool. And for the last half century!!!
Other pretenders (Watford/Palace/ Newcastle yawn yawn!!!)  might have started  half an hour ago, but flags are part of us!
 Get them out! Every week! Get the old ones out! Sing our old songs too! Flags and songs are what we do best.

The fellas who do this labour of love understand exactly what our club is. We're not just a football club. This stuff counts as much as the results. And we need the flags more than ever these days. The selfie halfie halfie scarf brigade need to be educated on this.
Wonderfully put and much thanks to people who put their time and effort into this. You guys are part of the reason a lot of people from across the world fall in love with the club.

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anybody able to take any ownership of the surfer? Even if it's just to get it shifted and stored somewhere.

Otherwise, I honestly don't know what will happen to it. But the HJC are not able to take it with them, and I'm not able to move and store it.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Bump

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader

Bang on

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
OK, a quick update on this.

The surfer has been saved from, literally, being put in a skip. There wouldn't have been any real alternative unfortunately.

A fine gentleman on here called Chris who posts as DudleyRed has been and collected it in a van this morning. While Chris has not travelled from quite as far as Dudley, he has driven a fair distance from elsewhere in the North West to retrieve it, and therefore RAWK and the members who contributed to this should be very thankful to him.

What happens now, is down to the people on here. Maybe someone could look to see if they can arrange a group to try and get it out, if any of those who did it originally are still going to the games?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
OK, a quick update on this.

The flag has been saved from, literally, being put in a skip. There wouldn't have been any real alternative unfortunately.

A fine gentleman on here called Chris who posts as DudleyRed has been and collected it in a van this morning. While Chris has not travelled from quite as far as Dudley, he has driven a fair distance from elsewhere in the North West to retrieve it, and therefore RAWK and the members who contributed to this should be very thankful to him.

What happens now, is down to the people on here. Maybe someone could look to see if they can arrange a group to try and get it out, if any of those who did it originally are still going to the games?

Pleasure to help Rob - couldn't see it skipped

For others awareness I'm over Preston way but intend to get the flag out through the season. Hoping to get on the kop through ACS for Europe so at least we'll see it. I'll need guidance and support though from those of you with experience!!

Guess options for other outings, I can arrange to bring it to matches if not in the kop and some off here sort it and I'll take it back to store it or indeed it can be picked up from me if there's an appetite to

I'm happy to store it but if anyone more locally wants to then I'm fine with that

Plenty of time to discuss ahead of new season anyway - just give me a shout

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:54:02 pm by dudleyred »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If it's to be displayed on the Kop, you might want to have a discussion with the fella who does the regular surfer on the kop, first.

Wasn't there a bit of tension last time we tried to get this out, about five years ago or more?

Just rocking up with it, might cause a logistical nightmare, and put a few noses out of joint.

It will probably need up to date fire protection etc. and need to be certified, before the anal retentives ground safety people let if anywhere near a game.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If it's to be displayed on the Kop, you might want to have a discussion with the fella who does the regular surfer on the kop, first.

Wasn't there a bit of tension last time we tried to get this out, about five years ago or more?

Just rocking up with it, might cause a logistical nightmare, and put a few noses out of joint.

It will probably need up to date fire protection etc. and need to be certified, before the anal retentives ground safety people let if anywhere near a game.

Yep spot on - there won't be any rocking up on spec

Re safety certificate going to see if there's one with it firstly unless anyone knows more about where it may be?

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
Could you get it surfing in the lower Dalglish? However I can't remember the size

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yep spot on - there won't be any rocking up on spec

Re safety certificate going to see if there's one with it firstly unless anyone knows more about where it may be?

If I remember rightly from the thread a few years ago. You have to have a certificate and prove to the ground safety officer that it's been treated with fire retardant chemicals, before they'll give you permission to let it into the ground to be used.

Not sure the same rules apply to flags and wavers, but as the surfers go over peoples heads, you have to prove they are fire proof.

Not sure an old certificate would be any good, as I think it has to be up to date, and the surfer would have to be retreated with chemicals periodically.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Happy to chip in for any costs in regards it being treated or getting the safety certificate sorted.

With all Europa homes, hoping to be on the Kop on ACS for all games next season (not sure what the likelihood is of lots of season ticket holders relocating to the Kop just for European games, believe they get first shout), could pass the flag to my brother and help out with this if required.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Same as Hij - can chip in a £10er for any costs in getting the safety certificate sorted etc.

Be great to see it out at a European game again
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Same as Hij - can chip in a £10er for any costs in getting the safety certificate sorted etc.

Be great to see it out at a European game again

Likewise.

And a few of us will hopefully be in the Kop for Europe and FA Cup next season, so would be happy to sort a flag for those games. Impossible to guarantee tickets for league games, let alone in the Kop, so wouldn't be able to commit to those, unfortunately.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Before looking at raising funds, the first thing to sort is the logistic around getting it into the ground, and whether it's realistic or not to get it into the Kop, with there already being a huge surfer, and loads of other flags there. That's going to take a lot of time, discussions, and arrangements, and is not an easy job as I'm sure those originally involved will testify. Something to seriously consider, is whether it's realistic to get it into the Kop, or would it be better off trying to organise it for elsewhere in the ground.

In terms of costs for fire-proofing, this forum and its members have proved time and again to be very generous when it comes to collections for projects, so I'm sure that will not be an issue when it comes down to it. The priority needs to be getting a plan together for getting it into the ground and displayed.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
As stoz has said few things to sort. Have started making the necessary enquiries so will keep you informed as and when

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
Would look good in any stand

Offline FuturisticLFC

• Main Stander
I'll be in touch over the summer, and we'll see if you want to take on one of the flags on a regular basis. :)

Sounds good give us a shout

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So with this I have sent a message to Armin who was instrumental in getting this sorted originally. Hopefully then can find out re original certification

I'll start contacting the club this week re access and certification requirements. Part of this is then what stand could accommodate it given the original surfer on the kop at each game

In meantime, if it needs re treating, I've started getting a couple of indicative quotes on treatment etc. First one came in at £3.25 sq/ meter!! (~£1200 total with vat). Let's hope we get a result on original certification!!!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I'll contribute mate, it's going to need a fair bit of financial input from a lot of people.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'll contribute mate, it's going to need a fair bit of financial input from a lot of people.

Cheers john (and others above) - once we've confirmed viability with the club we'll go from there

Hoping to get an answer before the ACS so people who may want to help know which stand to aim for

Will keep you all updated as and when anyway

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Hi mate - sorry I haven't got back to you - did Armin get in touch?  I'll be happy to contribute and I'm sure we can raise any funds necessary.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hi mate - sorry I haven't got back to you - did Armin get in touch?  I'll be happy to contribute and I'm sure we can raise any funds necessary.

Not heard from him yet but only been a day or two so no drama

From the original thread I know which company was used to create it so I could approach them but will see if Armin can shed any light to assist firstly

Cheers for your help so far

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another quick update - have been in touch with the club who replied within an hour which was impressive.

They have said "we are happy to work with you on this" so again that's encouraging.

I have asked about whats required to satisfy them in terms of certification - the quote i had was to issue a certificate for five years to BS-5867 Part 2 Type B standard - anyone on here know anything about that?!?!

I have also asked about which stand would be best to use (kop preference clearly, however if there is an alternative the club are happy with that means its easier for us too then great)

I have also asked about storage at the ground for the flag

All in all a good opening exchange. They have set expectations that we wont get a decision until w/c 19th June due to holidays but again i think that'/s pretty reasonable.

I will continue to let you know as and when i have an update :wave

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is this the one being discussed:

Would be great to see it on the Kop again.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Another quick update - have been in touch with the club who replied within an hour which was impressive.

They have said "we are happy to work with you on this" so again that's encouraging.

I have asked about whats required to satisfy them in terms of certification - the quote i had was to issue a certificate for five years to BS-5867 Part 2 Type B standard - anyone on here know anything about that?!?!

I have also asked about which stand would be best to use (kop preference clearly, however if there is an alternative the club are happy with that means its easier for us too then great)

I have also asked about storage at the ground for the flag

All in all a good opening exchange. They have set expectations that we wont get a decision until w/c 19th June due to holidays but again i think that'/s pretty reasonable.

I will continue to let you know as and when i have an update :wave

That's some good news and some top work mate, nice one :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is this the one being discussed:

Would be great to see it on the Kop again.

yes that's the one - didn't realise how big it was until i pulled it out the bag in my kitchen ;D - went down well!
That's some good news and some top work mate, nice one :)

cheers - long way to go but seems a good start!