Author Topic: Ever the Optimist.  (Read 57586 times)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ever the Optimist.
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2017, 03:18:50 pm »
Without Klopps two outstanding signings, we tend to revert to type. But add a few more of that quality at the end of the season and we'll continue on upward trajectory.
Mane and matip being the two obviously. Disappointing day but the bigger picture is still good.

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:21 pm »
Without Klopps two outstanding signings, we tend to revert to type. But add a few more of that quality at the end of the season and we'll continue on upward trajectory.
Mane and matip being the two obviously. Disappointing day but the bigger picture is still good.

Well said.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2017, 03:29:48 pm »
I think we will win again and Klopp makes me happy :)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2017, 03:33:54 pm »
May this wonderful thread always survive through the wind and rain.

On to the next game.  :scarf
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2017, 03:44:43 pm »
When my mum died I literally walked home with my head held high in the rain, it was chucking it down and the words to that song rang true to me

This club is my soul I feel linked to it.

I do my own little arrangements of ynwa, lee mavers once said "the la's will reform when Everton win the league"

I'm with you Lee mate. I'll come off it one day and sort myself out. I believe in me  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:46:31 pm by ToneLa »

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2017, 03:54:36 pm »
At least we have a good chance of finishing in a higher position than last season. That's progress  ;D

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2017, 04:03:42 pm »
Chelsea will tomorrow win their 15th game of the last 16. It will be their 18th win of the 22 games.

Not only can we not compete with that nobody in this division can compete with that. Heck, question is whether Fergie`s and Mourinho's teams at their peak could compete with that.

We are competing more than adequately with Utd, City, Arsenal and Spurs which for me is a good progress compared to number of our seasons since 09. That's why all the cryarsing about spending is missing the point in spectacular fashion. We are already doing great and Chelsea's supernatural form this season is massively skewing the entire picture.

We got this far by not rushing and signing gazilion players and looking to solve every single issue in the squad with money but using elite coaching and sound football decision making. We can't have it all at once and we have to let this process develop naturally and continue progressing until the point where we'll become too good not to win trophies.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2017, 04:13:42 pm »
Top 4 and 2 good cups wins, I would have taken at the beginning of the season.

I think we'll better that by a top 4 finish, and winning a trophy, so can't complain at the moment. The title was never a reality, being top for a short while was brilliant, title winners unfortunately don't lose the kind of points we do.

Roll on Weds, the Saints will pay for today and bet they know that already!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2017, 07:35:45 pm »
A traditional semi-final performance on Wednesday and we'll be the envy of dozens of teams that would love a cup final to look forward to.

Up the Reds.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2017, 07:52:01 pm »
A traditional semi-final performance on Wednesday and we'll be the envy of dozens of teams that would love a cup final to look forward to.

Up the Reds.

D'Pool, John, D'Pool.  ;)

Up D'Pool!

:D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2017, 07:57:49 pm »
Two cup games to get our lads sharp and ready for Chelsea. Divock is due a couple of goals and with Matip back we should be better in defense.

Onwards and upwards!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:09 pm »
Win our next 3 games all at home and our season will be back on fire. Piece of piss.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2017, 11:06:34 pm »
Chelsea will tomorrow win their 15th game of the last 16. It will be their 18th win of the 22 games.

Not only can we not compete with that nobody in this division can compete with that. Heck, question is whether Fergie`s and Mourinho's teams at their peak could compete with that.

We are competing more than adequately with Utd, City, Arsenal and Spurs which for me is a good progress compared to number of our seasons since 09. That's why all the cryarsing about spending is missing the point in spectacular fashion. We are already doing great and Chelsea's supernatural form this season is massively skewing the entire picture.

We got this far by not rushing and signing gazilion players and looking to solve every single issue in the squad with money but using elite coaching and sound football decision making. We can't have it all at once and we have to let this process develop naturally and continue progressing until the point where we'll become too good not to win trophies.

Chelsea will stroll out tomorrow knowing they are playing relegation material.   They will be disinterested and spend most of the match passing the ball around their back four.   They won't want to get a sweat on in the first half because they know they will be able to walk the ball into the net at their leisure in the second half because they are playing relegation fodder.     They will reach half time goalless but it won't worry them because the are playing relegation fodder and will put 2 or 3 in the net in the second.    They will get undone by a sucker punch just after half time and then being unable to compose themselves will concede a second........

Hang on wrong team.  Chelsea will run onto the pitch totally up for it, will attack with venom and be 2-0 up at half time.  Easing off slightly and consolidating they will add another couple for a 4-0 win.   
We are Loyal Supporters

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2017, 11:17:52 pm »
Chelsea will stroll out tomorrow knowing they are playing relegation material.   They will be disinterested and spend most of the match passing the ball around their back four.   They won't want to get a sweat on in the first half because they know they will be able to walk the ball into the net at their leisure in the second half because they are playing relegation fodder.     They will reach half time goalless but it won't worry them because the are playing relegation fodder and will put 2 or 3 in the net in the second.    They will get undone by a sucker punch just after half time and then being unable to compose themselves will concede a second........

Hang on wrong team.  Chelsea will run onto the pitch totally up for it, will attack with venom and be 2-0 up at half time.  Easing off slightly and consolidating they will add another couple for a 4-0 win.   

This is supposed to be the optimist thread there are plenty of other threads you could put the above onto. Could we just not have one thread in here that is not boiling with negativity.  :-\

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2017, 11:36:20 pm »
Kick in the nuts. We HAD to win the game, what with City and Spurs playing each other and all that. I'm avoiding all football talk for a few days. That's how upset I am. We're nearly out of the title hunt on the back of that. Had we won it, we would be right in the mix.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2017, 12:06:52 am »
Kick in the nuts. We HAD to win the game, what with City and Spurs playing each other and all that. I'm avoiding all football talk for a few days. That's how upset I am. We're nearly out of the title hunt on the back of that. Had we won it, we would be right in the mix.
Well, that's not very optimistic!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2017, 12:34:30 am »
D'Pool, John, D'Pool.  ;)

Up D'Pool!

:D
When we've won on Wednesday, you're getting a task mate.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2017, 12:36:24 am »
Worst month of football I can remember.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2017, 12:43:56 am »
Well, that's not very optimistic!

I know man. I've been on the fucking title charge wagon since we beat Chelsea four weeks into the season. Calculating and recalculating how we were going to surmount their lead for weeks and then we go and throw a game against fucking Swansea. I'm frustrated as hell. Sorry, I can't find too much more optimism right about now.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2017, 12:53:30 am »

Really? Were you not around when Hodgson was here?  :o

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2017, 01:09:34 am »
No negative thoughts allowed in this thread, thank you.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Montana

• Kemlynite
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2017, 01:26:33 am »
Although very disappointing today, I think today will be a watershed, nadir for Klopp. A big positive can come out of today, where previous managers might have papered over the obvious cracks.

Klopp is a fantastic manager and ideal for us but only weakness has been in my opinion, a bit of over confidence, over optimism whether that's the defence being good enough or the goalkeeper or switching players around too much ala Lallana, Firmino or leaving Matip out today and still expecting to win.

It's a real shame we're unlikely to win it this year but you never know. We're still in the chasing pack but it's Chelsea's to throw away now, which can happen - a couple of draws, a couple of defeats .....

After this performance, Klopp will hopefully be more ruthless and get the quality we need in key positions just like he did with Mane, Matip etc. I'm sure he knows what we need and can probably see it some of the youngsters but we need it now not in 3 years. I'm talking first team quality and goalie, defence is the priority. Klavan is back up at best and right Gomez needs promoting or just fucking splash £60m on Van Diljk. We have the bloody cash.

Just wanted to day also, the atmosphere today seemed terrible! So quiet, like a prawn fucking sandwich brigade on a massive coach party day out. I struggle to get a ticket nowadays with young kids etc.  but would out sing most lame 'entertain me' fans every week, it's so frustrating. Go to Anfield and sing your heart out and shout your support especially when you can see the team struggling to prise a opening. It can make the difference!

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2017, 11:51:39 am »
Having slept on it, I'm slightly better about yesterday's huge ball drop.

Firstly we can forget about winning it. All that talk can wait for next season, time to face facts.

However, a top 2 finish and a cup is realistic if we can get our shit together quickly.

Personally I think yesterday has been coming for a while. We haven't been playing a high tempo passing game for ages, we hog possession but it's toothless probing. Players aren't putting their foot through it enough when they get an opportunity.

"Trying to walk it in" is a phrase often used to describe Arsenal. This is where we are at the moment. Results went for us yesterday so we haven't been punished as we could if Yernited and Spurs had won.

I have 100% faith in Klopp though. I think he can sort the lads out for a big push in the second half of the season to nail a top 4 finish and hopefully a nice cup final demolition of the dirty mancs!!!

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2017, 03:56:26 pm »
Agree with this. Us and Chelsea will have a huge advantage over the other teams. Klopp and Conte are the type of managers who will make the most of this factor and work it to their advantage. I've been thinking this since the end of last season. Both will finish in the top 4.

(the optimistic part of me has us both competing for the top 2 spots)  :lickin

This was me back in the summer.

Let's face it, considering our final position at the end of last season (8th) any responsible and level headed fan would be happy and delighted with a top 4 finish.  A top 2 finish however would be bloody brilliant and an excellent platform to push on the following season and then really go for it. Barring the anomaly that was Leicester last year, that has always been the way to win the League...eventual progression up the league finishing 2nd (or thereabouts), and then culminating with top spot the following season.

We're doing really well if you think at long term realistic goals and I would say on - if not ahead - of target. We are 1 point from 2nd at the mo (maybe 2 if Arsenal win today) with plenty of games still to play. We've only just started the process of building Klopp's team this season and dare I say it it looks good so far, this coming summer we will build a squad (this is what has let us down so far this season in my opinion) and we will reap it's rewards.

Having said all that, it's still feasible that we can win it this season... It's not over by any means, as Klopp has said all season it's about being up there or thereabouts until the run in of the last ten games, then let's see what happens...

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2017, 04:50:43 pm »
I like this thread! We have tons to be optimistic about.

What inspires my confidence is that we have top class coaches at the club that can learn from tough defeats and propel us to improve.

I also like that we no longer make knee jerk signings, and instead choose to stick with what we have until a quality long term options with potential to improve what we have comes along.

In terms of this season, teams above us have European footy starting soon, which will aid us.

Then we shall strengthen further in the summer to help us when we are back in Europe.

We will have setbacks but the dark times over the last 10 years are still very fresh in my memory, so I feel more than content with where we are right now, and feel very confident for future improvement and success.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2017, 06:41:32 pm »
I like this thread! We have tons to be optimistic about.

What inspires my confidence is that we have top class coaches at the club that can learn from tough defeats and propel us to improve.

I also like that we no longer make knee jerk signings, and instead choose to stick with what we have until a quality long term options with potential to improve what we have comes along.

In terms of this season, teams above us have European footy starting soon, which will aid us.

Then we shall strengthen further in the summer to help us when we are back in Europe.

We will have setbacks but the dark times over the last 10 years are still very fresh in my memory, so I feel more than content with where we are right now, and feel very confident for future improvement and success.

Nice post. One of the best threads on Rawk.  :scarf

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2017, 06:44:32 pm »
Seen worse !
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2017, 06:49:11 pm »
Why are there negative posts in this thread? Is it that hard to allow people to have one thread with just optimism?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2017, 06:55:38 pm »
We have a chance to win a cup at least, and reedem ourselves for the two finals last year. We need to win something it will be massive for the confidence of this side.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2017, 07:00:15 pm »
Why are there negative posts in this thread? Is it that hard to allow people to have one thread with just optimism?

Don't worry about it mate - us optimistic folk can deal with it :)

We're a bunch of tree huggers.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2017, 07:01:06 pm »
If we are going to get wake up calls I'd rather they were Burnley or Swansea instead of Everton, Chelsea, United,  Sam's Palace, West Ham.

So we know where we stand now. Those below us failed to take advantage, top 4/3 is our goal, plus silver if possible.

Instead of beating Chelsea to challenge it is beating them for 3 points.

I'd be happy with top 4/3 plus a cup if possible.

Liverpool belong in the CL, let's keep United in the Europa League
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »
We have a chance to win a cup at least, and reedem ourselves for the two finals last year. We need to win something it will be massive for the confidence of this side.

Would be nice to see us lift a silver pot this year - been far far too long for a club like Liverpool not to win something. It'll happen soon. We're already having a crack at the title too, so despite it being a shitty month we're still in the running.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2017, 09:31:27 pm »
Big wake up call for us and I don't expect to see this kind of defending again with Matip back and the bollocking I'm sure Klopp is giving them.

Chelsea at home is next, was a must win for us anyway and then they face Arsenal at home. The gap could be back to 4 or 5 points by then. Basically we need to go on a run of wins like in 13/14, if we can do that the title is still on with so many games left.

We were in a similar position in 13/14, 8 points behind Arsenal - who everyone thought was gonna coast the title. I'm not giving up

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2017, 10:47:28 pm »
We have a chance to win a cup at least
Two cups. And the league. Believe.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:04 am »
30 hours reality after the Swansea defeat has now been replaced by that " its a semi final under the lights at Anfield trailing by one goal" feeling.   We are Liverpool, Anfield will be rocking, we will tear into Southampton and reach another final.    In the words of that Chumbawamba classic, " We get knocked down but we get back up again, you ain't ever going to keep us down".
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:57 am »
Looking forward to the many games to be played between now until end of the season. There are still many twists and turns. We have Jurgen Klopp in our corner ... How can we not feel positive
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2017, 09:28:23 am »
Posted this in my aftermatch thoughts yesterday....

Games like this when the system aint working, a really good individual talent can dig you out of a hole..I’ve got nothing but admiration for how klopp wants to build a team through coaching but wish we’d buy some stardust that could also fit the system..but doubt that will happen.

So this squad needs to grow deeper and stronger together and i believe klopp will do that to keep us challenging year on year not just once every few years. Then yknow, hopefully we’ll win the damned thing!

still very much believe that. I think we need another gem dropped in our attacking line, somebody with pace....and as for our defence. To be honest I think its ok for the most part, this season playing together will go a long way. Matip needs to stay fit tho and we probably need fullback cover on the left. But in general we've got a good core group of players, there's no deadwood really. Its just about refining that a little bit further
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2017, 10:14:45 am »
I know if's and but's mean shit and it's actual points that win you titles..

Since this is the optimism thread, here's my two bits:

If we win our next two matches and Chelsea lose their next two matches, we would be only 4 points behind them with 14 more to play. This scenario is very much doable.

Can we win our next 2? Most certainly we can.. Chelsea at home will not be a gimme, but they have struggled against other top 6 clubs this season, while we have excelled.. And then there's Hull away. Given our recent form, this could be tougher than Chelsea at home. But being an optimist, i'm putting down another 3 points at Hull for us..

So that's 51 points for us with 14 to play.

Can Chelsea lose their next 2? They most certainly can.. They travel to Anfield next and their record against the top 6 this season is nothing to write home about.
After us, they host Arsenal who are unbeaten in 5 and could be unbeaten in 6 and possibly only 5 points behind Chelsea should the Gunners beat Watford on Tuesday.
They will be motivated and could pull off an upset.

If this happens, expect the table to look something like this:

Team          P    Pts

Chelsea      24   55
Arsenal      24   53
Spurs         24   52*
Liverpool    24   51

*Also assuming Tottenham win their next two. It really could be anybody's league..

F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:59 am »
I know if's and but's mean shit and it's actual points that win you titles..

Since this is the optimism thread, here's my two bits:

If we win our next two matches and Chelsea lose their next two matches, we would be only 4 points behind them with 14 more to play. This scenario is very much doable.

Can we win our next 2? Most certainly we can.. Chelsea at home will not be a gimme, but they have struggled against other top 6 clubs this season, while we have excelled.. And then there's Hull away. Given our recent form, this could be tougher than Chelsea at home. But being an optimist, i'm putting down another 3 points at Hull for us..

So that's 51 points for us with 14 to play.

Can Chelsea lose their next 2? They most certainly can.. They travel to Anfield next and their record against the top 6 this season is nothing to write home about.
After us, they host Arsenal who are unbeaten in 5 and could be unbeaten in 6 and possibly only 5 points behind Chelsea should the Gunners beat Watford on Tuesday.
They will be motivated and could pull off an upset.

If this happens, expect the table to look something like this:

Team          P    Pts

Chelsea      24   55
Arsenal      24   53
Spurs         24   52*
Liverpool    24   51

*Also assuming Tottenham win their next two. It really could be anybody's league..

I like you're thinking here, as you say its doable should that happen. Klopp has appealed for fans to believe that it's still on, that's good enough for me. First though we have a chance to win a place in a final. Should we manage to do that, then our confidence should be up for the league challenge as well.

Offline JaimeREDnapz

• Main Stander
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2017, 10:47:06 am »
We are still a work in progress under Klopp. A couple more transfer windows and we will be up there with less of these blips.

All I want from this season is a top 4 finish and a bonus would be a cup.

Top 4 must be our ultimate priority, forget the league or even 2nd, we don't yet have the consistency but top 4 this year, transfer window in the summer and then we are cooking !