Author Topic: Gay Footballers  (Read 47349 times)

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Re: Gay Footballers
« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2022, 06:20:35 pm »
What happens when we "tolerate" religious intolerance?

What happens when we "tolerate" the LGBT community's intolerance for religious intolerance?

What happens when tolerating one thing places you at (controversial, hypocritical) odds with tolerating another thing?

What does "tolerance" even mean anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Basically we have to be intolerant of intolerance or society will descend into an intolerant hellscape.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #481 on: May 22, 2022, 12:04:19 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Basically we have to be intolerant of intolerance or society will descend into an intolerant hellscape.

I personally struggle with anybody who (for example) campaigns for "western" LGBT tolerance.....on the one hand.....but who also tries to advocate tolerance for Islam and the "rights" of its adherents.

These two things are diametrically opposed.

It is my belief that the LGBT community know that western homophobes are also likely to be xenophobes...but are concerned about adopting any position which may look like they are (partly) in critical alliance with homophobes....albeit for totally different reasons.

The xenophobic stance being: "Bloody foreigners and their violent, unwholesome religions..."

The LGBT stance being: " Let's welcome one and all...but yes...this religion IS very problematic and intolerant.."

I think your average xenophobe knows just what an enemy of LGBT...Islam really is....and some of the more hardcore xenophobes out there are reluctant to hear LGBT "tolerance" lectures which basically just target the low-hanging-fruit....namely....the Christianised west. Christianity being a long ago "subdued" religion which no longer offers any large-scale (influential) threat or obstacle to LGBT acceptance.

Picture your typical Alf Garnett type xenophobe saying:

" We're all fine with the LGBT community nowadays..it's your muslims who are your real problem, you wanna start goin after them and giving them both barrels because they're your real problem..."

And yes....there may actually be more than a grain of truth in this fictitious xenophobic rant, but Islam is a culturally solidified, powerful collective in the extreme....especially within it's own lands.

How do LGBT groups even "begin" to tackle this?

But more pertinently....should your typical Alf Garnett type xenophobe at least expect LGBT groups to be just as vocally critical of Islam's intolerances as they are of the western "home-grown" intolerances they encounter?

Should Islam get a "pass" just because its a different culture which operates in a different part of the world?

Should it get a pass because it appears to be a culture which is easy to inflame and incite towards an extremely violent response....when criticised?

Is Islamic thought...so entrenched and non-malleable....that it just needs to be ring-fenced as an honourable "exception" whenever it permeates or collides with western sensibilities?

As seems to be the case with this footballer....and his refusal to adorn himself with emblems which contradict his fundamental beliefs?

Answers on a postcard.....

:o

YNWA

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: May 24, 2022, 10:08:55 pm »
you can be an advocate for tolerance of LGBT in the west in the east, the north the south, in fact anywhere you want and also be for tolerance and no discrimination against Islam Christianity or any other religion. Tolerance and advocating lack of discrimination doesn't mean you agree with the religion, just you don't think people should be discriminated against for being religious, Some of the mad christians in the US come out with all sorts of backward ideas, doesn't mean you agree with them if you are tolerant of peoples right to be Christians.

This is getting too abstract and moving too far away from the football and the need to look at the problem of why so many Gay players find football a difficult environment to be themselves and how can be overcome
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: May 24, 2022, 11:46:33 pm »
you can be an advocate for tolerance of LGBT in the west in the east, the north the south, in fact anywhere you want and also be for tolerance and no discrimination against Islam Christianity or any other religion. Tolerance and advocating lack of discrimination doesn't mean you agree with the religion, just you don't think people should be discriminated against for being religious, Some of the mad christians in the US come out with all sorts of backward ideas, doesn't mean you agree with them if you are tolerant of peoples right to be Christians.

This is getting too abstract and moving too far away from the football and the need to look at the problem of why so many Gay players find football a difficult environment to be themselves and how can be overcome

I respect and would defend the right to religion with the caveat that it can never be used to justify inequality or excuse the denial of rights. Human rights trump religion every single time.

I don’t think religion-based bigotry should be ‘tolerated’ at all. One of the most damaging things about religions is the assertion that they cannot be challenged - that it’s offensive or blasphemous. Bollocks to that.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #484 on: May 25, 2022, 12:21:12 am »
I know that this is an important subject but on one hand it really shouldn't be. We shouldn't care about somebody's sexuality and they shouldn't have to "come out".
I don't know, nor care who is gay where I work and I don't expect them to stand up in front of everyone and say so.

To answer Sarge's questions.....

1. Why do they not come out?

I don't see that they need to. It's none of our business.
Yes it would help other gay players but they can probably support each other if needed privately. However I would hope that other players would help them no matter what and they shouldn't need to form a support group. I would hope that our senior players would help any of the other players facing any issues, no matter what they are. I think Henderson would be one of the first to offer his support.
I would also guess that they don't come out because of the possible problems they may face. There will always be one asshole who thinks it is cool to smack them in the teeth at a nightclub.

2. Would they get the fan support.

In general terms yes they would. I think our fans would applaud any player who has just come out.
However, it's not that long ago that we used the term "rent boys" for Chelsea.......so why would any gay player feel comfortable at Anfield? I hope that we never hear that chant again. Wasn't it some of our fans who shouted abuse at Billy Gilmour at the start of this season so it wasn't just aimed at the whole of the Chelsea team but against one of them on loan to Norwich. Ok so this wasn't aimed at a gay footballer but it would concern me if I was gay.

The main problem is that some fans or some clubs would use it against them and shout vile comments at them. Imagine taking a throw in and listening to grown men shouting abuse at you. Best not to take the risk and not to come out.

Also imagine being a top player like Salah.........do you think he would get applauded by the opposition fans?

Or an international player at a stadium in Poland, Hungary, Russia or other country who have little respect for gay people.

3. Are Clubs doing enough to help them.

I really don't know. I would like to think that most clubs would especially the larger clubs.

4. Are FIFA and associations doing the same.

No. They say that they have zero tolerance yet they allow matches to go ahead when there has been a history of homophobic chants, flags etc.
#JFT97

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: May 25, 2022, 01:08:21 pm »
Never mind visiting homophobic countries on international duty, how would Newcastle and city owners respond to a player on their payroll coming out? How would their pre-season tour in the Middle East work with a abominable and law-breaking gay footballer?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: June 2, 2022, 01:43:19 pm »
Craig Napier: Scottish referee comes out and wants 'to see the climate change'

Craig Napier has become the first Scottish referee to come out publicly as gay.

The category one official follows footballers Josh Cavallo and Jake Daniels in coming out.

Napier said he was inspired by the players' decision and believes it is time "to see the climate change" within the sport.

"It's something that I never thought I'd be sitting here doing," Napier told the Scottish FA.

"It's something I've obviously lived with for a long time. It's been a difficult journey to get to this point. It's really important that people like me are willing to sit here and do this.

"I don't think this needs to be a news story but I think at the moment, it really does because we need to see the climate change so that people do feel that they can be their true self and live happily and comfortable in their own skin. And then that needs to transcend into football."

'I'm proud my coming out inspired Jake Daniels'

When not refereeing, Napier, who took charge of 32 SPFL and domestic cup fixtures during the 2021-22 season, works for the NHS and revealed he had "never had a bad experience when I've had these conversations".

"I've always felt so much lighter after speaking about it," he explained.

"This isn't a conversation about me, this is a conversation about trying to change the culture in Scottish football.

"There is something about football, there's still that barrier. Hopefully here in Scotland I can play a small part in hoping that it can inspire whoever is out there to be more comfortable in who they are and have the conversations with their family, their friends, their team-mates and come out publicly if they feel able to.

"There are no footballers on the pitch who are [openly gay], but they are there. And until we have these conversations and these role models on the pitch, there will be that stigma and that fear."

Cavallo, who plays for Australian club Adelaide United, came out last October, making him the only currently openly gay top-flight male professional footballer in the world.

Daniels, a forward with English second-tier club Blackpool, announced in May that he is gay. He was the first professional in the UK men's game for more than 30 years to come out while still playing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61671888

Is it too early to say we are starting to see a domino effect?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: June 2, 2022, 02:49:12 pm »
Is it too early to say we are starting to see a domino effect?

Hopefully not and there are many more to come. Great to see.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: June 2, 2022, 02:59:13 pm »

An hour later, the article has been updated...

Scottish referees Craig Napier and Lloyd Wilson come out as gay

Two Scottish referees have become the first to come out publicly as gay.

Category one officials Craig Napier and Lloyd Wilson follow footballers Josh Cavallo and Jake Daniels in coming out.

Napier said he was inspired by the players' decision and believes it is time "to see the climate change" within the sport.

"It's something that I never thought I'd be sitting here doing," he told the Scottish FA.

"It's something I've obviously lived with for a long time. It's been a difficult journey to get to this point. It's really important that people like me are willing to sit here and do this.

"I don't think this needs to be a news story but I think at the moment, it really does because we need to see the climate change so that people do feel that they can be their true self and live happily and comfortable in their own skin. And then that needs to transcend into football."

'I'm proud my coming out inspired Jake Daniels'

When not refereeing, Napier, who took charge of 32 SPFL and domestic cup fixtures during the 2021-22 season, works for the NHS and revealed he had "never had a bad experience when I've had these conversations".

"I've always felt so much lighter after speaking about it," he explained.

"This isn't a conversation about me, this is a conversation about trying to change the culture in Scottish football.

"There is something about football, there's still that barrier. Hopefully here in Scotland I can play a small part in hoping that it can inspire whoever is out there to be more comfortable in who they are and have the conversations with their family, their friends, their team-mates and come out publicly if they feel able to.

"There are no footballers on the pitch who are [openly gay], but they are there. And until we have these conversations and these role models on the pitch, there will be that stigma and that fear."

Cavallo, who plays for Australian club Adelaide United, came out last October, making him the only currently openly gay top-flight male professional footballer in the world.

Daniels, a forward with English second-tier club Blackpool, announced in May that he is gay. He was the first professional in the UK men's game for more than 30 years to come out while still playing.

In a video

to mental health charity Back Onside, Wilson, who officiates in the Lowland League, added: "I think really the reason [for coming out now] being that this has been a horrific journey, to be honest.

"A journey of maybe 17 years of living a life that I didn't want to live, living a lie, living the way that other people maybe wanted me to live or that I thought other people wanted me to live. And probably dictated and directed in many ways by football."

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #489 on: June 2, 2022, 10:05:02 pm »

Yup and I think if it is a massive outcoming then maybe it may be much easier for the many.

Good times.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #490 on: June 3, 2022, 04:03:23 am »

It’s fantastic to see that gay people in football are now feeling like they can just be themselves and don’t have to ‘hide’ their sexuality. Still a long way to go but any progress is good progress.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Last Edit: October 9, 2022, 01:43:16 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #492 on: October 9, 2022, 01:50:03 pm »
Going through the responses to his tweet is depressing though. Twitter really is a fucking cesspit full of c*nts...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: October 9, 2022, 01:50:51 pm »
Fair play to him  :champ

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: October 9, 2022, 01:51:30 pm »
That is absolutely huge for the sport. It's such a shame he didn't feel comfortable enough to come out while he was still a player, but still a huge relief for him to finally speak his truth, I'm sure. All the best Iker. One of the absolute greats.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #495 on: October 9, 2022, 01:52:28 pm »
Going through the responses to his tweet is depressing though. Twitter really is a fucking cesspit full of c*nts...
I scrolled through a little bit and yeah it made my skin crawl, I hate that place.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: October 9, 2022, 01:52:43 pm »

Shows there is still so much stigma to break. It’s so sad.

Carles Puyol has commented saying “it’s time to tell our story”, not sure if that’s lost in translation.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #497 on: October 9, 2022, 01:54:21 pm »
What’s the first bit of his tweet say? I hope that you respect me?

Good luck to him. World Cup winning captain (I think?). Pretty huge name either way.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: October 9, 2022, 01:57:42 pm »
Shows there is still so much stigma to break. It’s so sad.

Carles Puyol has commented saying “it’s time to tell our story”, not sure if that’s lost in translation.

With a heart and a kiss emoji. Bit of an odd thing to say if they aren't at it  ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #499 on: October 9, 2022, 02:13:06 pm »
Is the Puyol thing maybe meant to be a bit of a supportive but maybe ill-timed joke?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: October 9, 2022, 02:14:38 pm »
Is the Puyol thing maybe meant to be a bit of a supportive but maybe ill-timed joke?

Thats how I read it honestly.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #501 on: October 9, 2022, 02:18:38 pm »
Thats how I read it honestly.
to be honest I wouldn't be surprised that in a few hours it was announced that their accounts were hacked, so I'll hold off on anything else.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: October 9, 2022, 02:41:53 pm »
AS reporting it’s a sarcastic response to rumours about his personal life. Ouch.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: October 9, 2022, 02:42:30 pm »
Well. As I’ll as has deleted the tweet and Spanish media are starting to report that it was a joke…

The joke may well back fire on him if true…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: October 9, 2022, 02:42:39 pm »
"Iker Casillas has not been hacked. He ironically tweeted that he is gay due to the media spreading rumours linking him to new women every week."

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: October 9, 2022, 02:44:10 pm »
Hopefully this kicks off a deep conversation about the bigotry and hate spewed by people towards others. Doubt it though.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #506 on: October 9, 2022, 02:44:30 pm »
"Iker Casillas has not been hacked. He ironically tweeted that he is gay due to the media spreading rumours linking him to new women every week."

Difficult to overstate how damaging this is for LGBTQ+ footballers and supporters. What an absolute c*nt.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #507 on: October 9, 2022, 02:45:20 pm »
Shameful behaviour.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: October 9, 2022, 02:45:24 pm »
Difficult to overstate how damaging this is for LGBTQ+ footballers and supporters. What an absolute c*nt.
Yep, utterly shameful. An utter disgrace.

W

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: October 9, 2022, 02:45:57 pm »
Ughhhh idiots

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgĺrden Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: October 9, 2022, 02:50:21 pm »
Fucking disgusting from Casillas and presumably Pouyol too. Fucking shameful behavior

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #511 on: October 9, 2022, 02:52:41 pm »
What a knob

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: October 9, 2022, 03:00:18 pm »
Hilarious banter!

No wonder so many people think football is a sport for morons, played by morons!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: October 9, 2022, 03:06:06 pm »
One of the lads I go the game with has recently come out , I was really excited to text him the news, now I have to text him back.

What a fucking twat.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #514 on: October 9, 2022, 03:07:48 pm »
One of the lads I go the game with has recently come out , I was really excited to text him the news, now I have to text him back.

What a fucking twat.

That’s it, there’s so many people who would have been inspired by this, made to feel better, only to find out that they’re the punchline of a joke. It’s disgraceful.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #515 on: October 9, 2022, 03:08:14 pm »
It's the homophobes in the comments that are disgusting, not the ex-footballer who cracked what he felt was an edgy joke, felt sick in the game and probably had no awareness of the implications. That's just called being silly.

Rather certain he'll admit it wasn't the best idea himself having seen what then unfolded.
Linudden.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #516 on: October 9, 2022, 03:09:15 pm »
It's the homophobes in the comments that are disgusting, not the ex-footballer who cracked what he felt was an edgy joke, felt sick in the game and probably had no awareness of the implications. That's just called being silly.

Really? He been living under a rock for the past 10 years has he?

Fuck them both.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: October 9, 2022, 03:12:08 pm »

Rather certain he'll admit it wasn't the best idea himself having seen what then unfolded.

Strange take this.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #518 on: October 9, 2022, 03:12:28 pm »

Casillas is an idiot though, surely he would realise what a comments like this would do on a cesspit like Twitter, and in general.  Or maybe he is just so incredibly thick that he doesn’t.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: October 9, 2022, 03:12:51 pm »
That’s it, there’s so many people who would have been inspired by this, made to feel better, only to find out that they’re the punchline of a joke. It’s disgraceful.

I havent text him back yet, Im shitting out of doing it.  Hes on his way to Highbury, Ill have to do it before he gets out the car
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.