Author Topic: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience  (Read 213994 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The Nathaniel Clyne Experience
« Reply #1520 on: June 28, 2020, 04:33:52 pm »
Good luck to him, was a very decent right back for those first three seasons he was here.

Think he started out at Palace originally, they could do with a right back I think.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1521 on: June 28, 2020, 05:23:35 pm »
Good luck Clyney, wherever you go next 👍
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1522 on: August 31, 2020, 01:39:36 pm »
Don't think I've seen him linked to a single club?

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1523 on: October 13, 2020, 09:47:44 pm »
He’s been training with Palace and according to The Athletic will be signing a short term deal. Best of luck to him, great player on his day for us.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1524 on: October 13, 2020, 11:17:11 pm »
Strange career - looked really promising at Southampton and got his big move to us the age of 24.  Seemed to fit in well, although we were in a period of transition between Rodgers & Klopp.  Then he seems to have had his prime years taken away from him due to injury - as a consequence of which he's missed a Champions League Final, England's (apparently) best international tournament in years, and been off the radar when we've won the European Cup and our long-awaited league title.  Feel for him a bit.

Palace looks a good option though - it's his home area and he started his career with them.  Is it Joel Ward who's their first choice right-back?  He can compete for regular starts there and hopefully get his career back on track.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1525 on: November 27, 2020, 08:26:02 pm »
Starting for Palace i see

Good luck to him

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1526 on: March 14, 2022, 10:25:59 pm »
He had £100m in his back pocket tonight. Riled him right up at the end

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1527 on: March 14, 2022, 11:38:43 pm »
Always though Clyne was a bit underrated in these parts - it doesn’t help his time was massively overshadowed by the emergence of Trent following the injury issues.

What we had was an honest, quick, defensively solid full back who was serviceable going forward. Certainly as good a right back as we’d had since Arbeloa and Finnan I’d say.

He played well tonight.

He’s never going to get further England contention (Walker, Trent, James, Lamptey, Livramento - England are blessed at Right Back at present)  but it’s good to see him playing well again.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: March 15, 2022, 09:27:19 am »
Always though Clyne was a bit underrated in these parts - it doesn’t help his time was massively overshadowed by the emergence of Trent following the injury issues.

What we had was an honest, quick, defensively solid full back who was serviceable going forward. Certainly as good a right back as we’d had since Arbeloa and Finnan I’d say.

He played well tonight.

He’s never going to get further England contention (Walker, Trent, James, Lamptey, Livramento - England are blessed at Right Back at present)  but it’s good to see him playing well again.

I totally agree with this. He wasn't someone that would get you double figure assists, but he was the first right back we'd had in about five years who could keep up with play (he wouldnt play a defence splitting pass, but he's decent and safe in possession) and then cover back effectively. For years our fullbacks were barely getting out to pressure crossers let alone block them as was Clyne's strength

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1529 on: March 15, 2022, 09:58:28 am »
I don't think he was ever underrated on here - I certainly don't remember calls for him to be replaced the way there were with other players - but people did get very frustrated with his constant injury problems and absences. I still suspect there were off-field issues involved that we'll hear about someday, but glad he's getting games in the Premier League.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1530 on: March 15, 2022, 10:01:42 am »
He was a good solid player for us and pretty important in helping us back into the CL. Probably not talked about much because his replacement is just so so much better.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: March 15, 2022, 11:40:21 am »
He's always been defensively sound and rarely looks phased when being attacked.

It's just going forward and in possession he's quite limited and yesterday again showed that.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1532 on: March 15, 2022, 03:20:22 pm »

It's just going forward and in possession he's quite limited and yesterday again showed that.
He was basically Wan Bissaka a few years earlier, with more mobility and crossing capability, without the outrageous price tag or expectations.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1533 on: March 15, 2022, 03:24:46 pm »
I don't think he was ever underrated on here - I certainly don't remember calls for him to be replaced the way there were with other players - but people did get very frustrated with his constant injury problems and absences. I still suspect there were off-field issues involved that we'll hear about someday, but glad he's getting games in the Premier League.

i remember him as an ever present. think his injury problems were happening in his later career when his contract was winding down with us and also coincide with the unstoppable force that is trent.

I was one of those who was actually unhappy when he was sold or let go. I am in that boat where defenders are supposed to defend first and clyne was and think still is a good EPL standard defender. Thats shows how much i know about footie ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1534 on: March 15, 2022, 03:31:12 pm »
Fucking hell I forgot there was a big furore when he went out on loan :lmao

Who was it who was really losing their shit?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1535 on: March 15, 2022, 03:37:57 pm »

indeed.

And it was the 2nd part of that statement that meant he was never the ideal full back for a Jürgen Klopp team. But he played an important role early in Kloppo’s time here.  Of course worked perfectly for Liverpool with the emergence of Trent.

Good to see him playing again in recent weeks, and he played very well last night. He’s not played a great deal of football all things considered in the last 3 years or so.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: March 15, 2022, 03:40:43 pm »
He was basically Wan Bissaka a few years earlier, with more mobility and crossing capability, without the outrageous price tag or expectations.

And he didn't hit the spinarooni every time someone tried dribbling at him.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #1537 on: March 16, 2022, 12:03:15 am »
Fucking hell I forgot there was a big furore when he went out on loan :lmao

Who was it who was really losing their shit?
People on /r/LiverpoolFC always get worked up at stuff like that.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: March 16, 2022, 12:53:27 am »
He's played 34 games in the last 5 years and he's 31. It would be great if he got a couple of full seasons in now he's approaching full fitness (after his ACL), good for him, he's a very capable player.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #1539 on: March 16, 2022, 02:06:55 pm »

He played well tonight.

I'm not sure he was, think most saw him as that solid player that would give you a 7/10 performance every week even when the team as a whole performed poorly. It's nice to see him back home and playing well, hopefully he can stay fit and finish his career on a high.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1540 on: March 16, 2022, 11:27:28 pm »
A very likeable full back for me. Shame he never kicked on after his first season in which he was good, he didn't look the same in the next season, and I don't think anybody could complain with Trent coming through. Shame after that he wasn't available and able to get games ala Tsimikas this season.

Glad to see him playing football and hope he can continue regularly til calling it a day
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1541 on: March 18, 2022, 07:02:59 pm »
disgraceful from Klopp to let him go. its come back to bite us now

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1542 on: March 21, 2022, 07:28:14 am »

Have you ever stopped to think maybe Clyne wanted to go?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1543 on: March 21, 2022, 09:33:10 am »

So? I get that we want to do whats best for a players career, but thats two games now that we've badly missed Clyne since he left.

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1544 on: March 21, 2022, 11:56:26 pm »

no we let him go. its all Klopps fault and its coming back to haunt us now.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #1545 on: March 22, 2022, 12:20:00 pm »
no we let him go. its all Klopps fault and its coming back to haunt us now.

Better sack him then for not keeping a back-up Right Back that wanted to move on!

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1546 on: March 22, 2022, 06:16:22 pm »
🤩🤩😆

He’s back where he started, and I wish him well. I saw him make his debut at Selhurst, my son-in-law is a Palace season ticket holder and I went fairly regularly in those days; he’s bulked up a lot since those early appearances - he was just a skinny kid. Johnny Williams was a teenage sensation as was Wilf Saha. Williams was the one the Palace regulars pinned their hopes on, and injuries have probably been instrumental in his never achieving his potential.

I think Joel Ward’s improvement in form delayed Clyne’s first team regular status last season.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: March 23, 2022, 06:32:02 am »

I know it's a joke but as far as I know Clyne didn't bad mouth us so he doesn't deserve this