Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370335 times)

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
Re: Television buying
« Reply #4960 on: January 3, 2019, 11:17:29 am »
That's reassuring to know - seems to be a good level of choice now with the LG's, Sony's, Panny's and even some of the Philips ones have been getting strong reviews.
JFT97

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #4961 on: January 3, 2019, 02:37:00 pm »
Been looking for a decent 28 inch TV for my daughter's bedroom...hardly any in the usual places, all seem to be either 24 or 32 inch, the couple I have found don't look anything decent. Any recommendations for decent 28 inch TV's?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4962 on: January 5, 2019, 07:25:50 pm »
Been looking for a decent 28 inch TV for my daughter's bedroom...hardly any in the usual places, all seem to be either 24 or 32 inch, the couple I have found don't look anything decent. Any recommendations for decent 28 inch TV's?

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-28tk410v.html

Doesn't seem too bad.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #4963 on: January 5, 2019, 07:48:58 pm »
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-28tk410v.html

Doesn't seem too bad.

Saw that earlier, ending up getting a 32 inch, cheers for the post though
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4964 on: January 5, 2019, 07:51:00 pm »
Saw that earlier, ending up getting a 32 inch, cheers for the post though

No bother, bigger is always better anyhow with TV's  :).

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #4965 on: January 7, 2019, 03:53:15 pm »
Right. I am not great with technical stuff. I have been debating getting a new telly for a while. One we have is a 50" HD telly from about 5 years ago. I have watched the prices of OLED tv's come down a bit over the last 12 months. However, I am not sure I want to wait until they become a sensible price. What I need to know is whether or not there is a huge difference between the 4K UHD TV's which are quite a bit cheaper and the OLED TV's which are nearly all above £1000 at their cheapest. Any advice greatly appreciated.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4966 on: January 8, 2019, 11:58:04 am »
OLED burn can be an issue but if you are often changing the content on the screen its not something you will ever experience.

It often comes with things like side bars like on Sky Sports news or 24 hour news channels. But you have to leave your screen on for a long time on the same channel for that to happen (think airport lounge TV's, train stations and hotel advertisement TV's).

Most TV's now have eco features that either dim or turn the TV off if left on for a continuous amount of time.

I have an OLED the burn in is a little different to plasma burn in which you have described.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #4967 on: January 9, 2019, 07:40:43 pm »
Right. I am not great with technical stuff. I have been debating getting a new telly for a while. One we have is a 50" HD telly from about 5 years ago. I have watched the prices of OLED tv's come down a bit over the last 12 months. However, I am not sure I want to wait until they become a sensible price. What I need to know is whether or not there is a huge difference between the 4K UHD TV's which are quite a bit cheaper and the OLED TV's which are nearly all above £1000 at their cheapest. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. Want to watch season 8 of Game of Thrones in full 4k glory but unsure of they extra cost for OLED/QLED is quite worth it yet.
Ye wha la.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4968 on: January 9, 2019, 11:37:25 pm »
OLED burn can be an issue but if you are often changing the content on the screen its not something you will ever experience.

It often comes with things like side bars like on Sky Sports news or 24 hour news channels. But you have to leave your screen on for a long time on the same channel for that to happen (think airport lounge TV's, train stations and hotel advertisement TV's).

Most TV's now have eco features that either dim or turn the TV off if left on for a continuous amount of time.

Was fucking around with my lads TV settings the other day. One of the options was to display a screen saver type thing if the same image was on the screen for a certain period of time. His isn't OLED though.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4969 on: January 10, 2019, 08:42:14 am »
Was fucking around with my lads TV settings the other day. One of the options was to display a screen saver type thing if the same image was on the screen for a certain period of time. His isn't OLED though.

our OLED goes into a screensaver if you leave it paused or on netflix or something, it looks like a little fireworks display.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #4970 on: January 20, 2019, 12:33:53 pm »
The TV in my spare bedroom seems to be giving up the ghost. It's had a good innings, I've had it since 2010 and it had a couple of years in my parents living room before then.

It's only a box room so don't want anything bigger than 24 inches. I did buy a mini SNES about 18 months ago and couldn't get any sound so want something I could use a PS4 or XBOX on without any issues.

Have used LG without any issues, any recommendations?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4971 on: February 16, 2019, 06:37:29 pm »
I've got a question...

Most of my TV watching happens like this:

Download show/film off the internet onto an external hard drive via my computer
Copy to USB stick
Plug into telly
Watch

Is there an easy way I can use the external hard drive instead, so that I don't have to mess around copying series to the USB? Direct in? Or via an intermediary device?

I did try and just plug it in, but the telly wouldn't recognise it. I'll probably get a new telly soon, do any have provisions for this kind of thing?

First world problems really, but sometimes its really annoying when I haven't got the thing I want and have to go back in the other room and delete stuff to make room, then copy files across to USB.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4972 on: February 16, 2019, 08:45:18 pm »
I've got a question...

Most of my TV watching happens like this:

Download show/film off the internet onto an external hard drive via my computer
Copy to USB stick
Plug into telly
Watch

Is there an easy way I can use the external hard drive instead, so that I don't have to mess around copying series to the USB? Direct in? Or via an intermediary device?

I did try and just plug it in, but the telly wouldn't recognise it. I'll probably get a new telly soon, do any have provisions for this kind of thing?

First world problems really, but sometimes its really annoying when I haven't got the thing I want and have to go back in the other room and delete stuff to make room, then copy files across to USB.

It comes back to when you used to play videos on a computer years ago. Codecs

Now you can put VLC on a computer and play everything. TV's aren't the same.

If you're only after 1080p content and lower then get yourself a Raspberry pi and remote, install Kodi on it, plug in your external hard drive and off you go.

If your plan is to move to 4K downloads then it gets difficult because raspberry pi can't handle that bandwidth. Most new 4K TVs have better compatibility to directly plug in your external drive and go. But my Samsung TV doesn't do DTS Audio so won't play them. I have to do some conversion before they will play.

Best advice is to find the TV you want them look at Media compatibility.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4973 on: February 17, 2019, 12:19:32 am »
It comes back to when you used to play videos on a computer years ago. Codecs

Now you can put VLC on a computer and play everything. TV's aren't the same.

If you're only after 1080p content and lower then get yourself a Raspberry pi and remote, install Kodi on it, plug in your external hard drive and off you go.

If your plan is to move to 4K downloads then it gets difficult because raspberry pi can't handle that bandwidth. Most new 4K TVs have better compatibility to directly plug in your external drive and go. But my Samsung TV doesn't do DTS Audio so won't play them. I have to do some conversion before they will play.

Best advice is to find the TV you want them look at Media compatibility.

Cheers. That is a really helpful post, appreciate it. If I was to get a new TV that was 4k then I would probably consider 4k downloads at some point? Depends on file sizes I suppose. I'll be sure to look into the media compatibility.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4974 on: February 17, 2019, 12:20:37 am »
Networked media centre (and HDD) should enable you to do it all without too much fuss.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4975 on: February 17, 2019, 12:28:17 am »
Cheers. That is a really helpful post, appreciate it. If I was to get a new TV that was 4k then I would probably consider 4k downloads at some point? Depends on file sizes I suppose. I'll be sure to look into the media compatibility.

What model is the tv ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4976 on: February 17, 2019, 08:33:35 am »
What model is the tv ?

Haven't particularly decided what to get. Currently got an old LG which has been reliable so was probably going to look for similar but a bit bigger and 4k.

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4977 on: February 25, 2019, 02:48:02 am »
Networked media centre (and HDD) should enable you to do it all without too much fuss.

Or streaming from your laptop

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4978 on: February 26, 2019, 10:08:43 am »
I have a flat screen TV and the sound is a not the best. I researched a bit on soundbars but I came away with the notion they are not very good so could I simply use wired speakers as in the "old" days ? I have loads of films and I have to turn the volume right up as we cannot hear it properly (especially conversations) so wanted to get a better experience, cheers.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4979 on: February 27, 2019, 12:47:11 pm »
I have a flat screen TV and the sound is a not the best. I researched a bit on soundbars but I came away with the notion they are not very good so could I simply use wired speakers as in the "old" days ? I have loads of films and I have to turn the volume right up as we cannot hear it properly (especially conversations) so wanted to get a better experience, cheers.

Sound Bars are still much better than the sound that comes out of a flat screen TV. Get a decent one with a wireless Sub and you'll be fine.

Alternatively, get a 5.1 surround sound system with an AV Reciever. You're looking at between £500-£1000 for something approaching decent though, and there's also a lot of wires to hide.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4980 on: February 28, 2019, 07:35:59 am »
Thanks for the reply, looks like I will be buying a soundbar with a wireless sub - whatever that is !

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4981 on: February 28, 2019, 07:38:08 am »
Sub = subwoofer. Provides the deep bass sounds.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4982 on: February 28, 2019, 08:25:12 am »

Have a look at sonos, we've got the playbar and it's fantastic on its own, don't need the sub or any extras. There's a new one as well which is more geared to setups that are on a cabinet than on the wall. They have them in John Lewis and Richer Sounds, ask for a demo.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4983 on: February 28, 2019, 11:20:01 am »
Thanks for the reply, looks like I will be buying a soundbar with a wireless sub - whatever that is !

Was having a look on Richer Sounds website earlier and saw this

https://www.richersounds.com/clearance-bargains/online/lg-soundbar-3.html

Seems to have decent reviews.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4984 on: April 26, 2019, 07:58:33 pm »
Just ordered an lg c8 65. Can’t see the prices going any lower now that the c9 one is out any day now. Was going to wait for the price drop on that but I’d be looking at Black Friday so feck it. Doesn’t sound too much better as far as I can tell anyway.

Anyone else have one?

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4985 on: May 18, 2019, 12:30:26 pm »
Looking to buy a new tv and I’ve narrowed it down to these two:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8192855

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55nu7400-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-tvplus-freesat-hd-dynamic-crystal-colour-360-design-ultra-hd-certified-black/p3547440

Price difference of £270. I know the PQI and brightness etc on the 8000 is better but is there that much difference to make it worth paying the extra £270?

Does anyone have either of these models and would recommend it?

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4986 on: May 20, 2019, 10:10:54 pm »
Looking to buy a new tv and I’ve narrowed it down to these two:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8192855

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55nu7400-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-tvplus-freesat-hd-dynamic-crystal-colour-360-design-ultra-hd-certified-black/p3547440

Price difference of £270. I know the PQI and brightness etc on the 8000 is better but is there that much difference to make it worth paying the extra £270?

Does anyone have either of these models and would recommend it?
Have read that the nu8000 is one of the best for the price. Especially if you game. Not read anything on the other one.

I’d recommend buying from richersounds if the price is right. Great customer service (they dropped the price on my tv a few weeks after I bought so refunded me the difference) and a 6 year warranty. Also https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/14/richer-sounds-staff-julian-richer

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4987 on: May 21, 2019, 08:18:10 pm »
Have read that the nu8000 is one of the best for the price. Especially if you game. Not read anything on the other one.

I’d recommend buying from richersounds if the price is right. Great customer service (they dropped the price on my tv a few weeks after I bought so refunded me the difference) and a 6 year warranty. Also https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/14/richer-sounds-staff-julian-richer

Cheers. I went with the 7400 from John Lewis in the end. 5 year guarantee. I’m not a gamer, my 7 year plays the PlayStation on it but he’s too young to notice the difference. I couldn’t justify the extra £270 for a difference in quality that I probably wouldn’t be able to appreciate.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4988 on: May 21, 2019, 11:38:12 pm »
Cheers. I went with the 7400 from John Lewis in the end. 5 year guarantee. I’m not a gamer, my 7 year plays the PlayStation on it but he’s too young to notice the difference. I couldn’t justify the extra £270 for a difference in quality that I probably wouldn’t be able to appreciate.
You’d be hard pushed to see a difference if they were side by side. Enjoy.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4989 on: December 16, 2019, 04:13:56 pm »
Will be getting  a new TV in the new year and probably going to go for an OLED.

Specifilcally looking at the SONY KD55AG8BU, looked at them in the shops, just a bit skeptical about the screen/speaker, they look and sound impressive when demo'd but don't know if it's just a bit gimmicky, anyone had a Sony or similar with this technology?
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4990 on: December 16, 2019, 10:34:01 pm »
Do a bit of research on Sony's mate, I've got one and my kids are constantly moaning that it chucks Netflix out.

Otherwise my 60inch has been fine for me and its about 5 years old now.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4991 on: December 16, 2019, 11:03:51 pm »
When I was looking into a new tv this time last year I spent a bit of time looking at posts/comments on avforums.com to see what people with the tv’s I was looking at were saying, what common issues were coming up etc.

For very technical tv reviews hdtvtest is also a good site.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-ag8-owners-and-discussion-thread.2232399/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:05:29 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4992 on: December 18, 2019, 09:04:55 pm »
Cheers for the replies, when you say it chucks them out do you mean the app has issues John? I've got a firestick also, from the reviews I've seen online re the AG8, I think I'm heading that way.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4993 on: February 2, 2020, 03:50:31 pm »
Cheers for the replies, when you say it chucks them out do you mean the app has issues John? I've got a firestick also, from the reviews I've seen online re the AG8, I think I'm heading that way.
Sorry, haven't I think been back in here for a while :) there's an app fault, it just disconnects and you have to re-start it.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4994 on: February 2, 2020, 09:27:36 pm »
Sorry, haven't I think been back in here for a while

Since Radio Rentals shut down
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #4995 on: February 3, 2020, 12:49:58 pm »
Keep seeing him stood outside Where the old Tandy Shop was looking in the window with a tear in his eye. He’s still got one of the old Tandy bags. He keeps a a realistic walkie talkie in it. The owner of the other one was a lad who used to work there. They were both part of a radio club that was started in homage to the films “Convoy” and “Smokey & The Bandit”. The other lad was called ‘Rubber Duck’ and John went by The name ‘The Bandit’

They lost contact after the other lads life spiralled out of control after actors Like Burt Reynolds and Kris Kristofferson,Ernest Borgnine, stopped getting big movie roles and Mike Henry not reprising his role as Tarzan.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4996 on: February 4, 2020, 07:59:26 am »
 ;D

Me mums rented DER telly went on fire.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #4997 on: February 4, 2020, 02:50:25 pm »
;D

Me mums rented DER telly went on fire.
;D

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4998 on: February 23, 2020, 08:57:56 pm »

Jeez , I feel old.
I'm still missing Maplin.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4999 on: February 24, 2020, 01:16:55 am »
Jeez , I feel old.
I'm still missing Maplin.

Bloody whippersnappers!

Bring back Tandy :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576