Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 183119 times)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #1400 on: February 11, 2024, 08:55:04 pm »
We’ve got BT fibre to box.  75mbs. Plus phone line and bt sport.

It’s astronomically expensive.  Is there something we can get that will work the same and be cheaper.  Could get virgin but I’ve heard it’s terrible service.

Whatever you do stay away from Vodafone, I hear it's shite.  :D

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1401 on: February 11, 2024, 09:55:37 pm »

It’s astronomically expensive.  Is there something we can get that will work the same and be cheaper.  Could get virgin but I’ve heard it’s terrible service.

You would have been best looking last month when  a lot of providers had Jan sales.

Best checking Top Cashback https://compare-broadband.topcashback.co.uk

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1402 on: February 12, 2024, 07:25:31 am »

From experience of one, but about 10 years. Customer service really isn't good. But the connection has been really solid.  Seem to manage to negotiate most years on the contract.  Only time I've contacted customer service in last five years is to cancel the tnt sports I got cheap for our Europa group games and sky over the Xmas hols. They failed to cancel it and getting them to refund is challenging shall I say.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1403 on: February 12, 2024, 08:59:01 am »

with virgin it's not the product it's the customer service that does your head in, they can be pretty useless. If you work from home though, I can't recommend their business service enough, I've had it over a year now and 0 outages and it's never throttled.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1404 on: February 12, 2024, 10:08:35 am »
with virgin it's not the product it's the customer service that does your head in, they can be pretty useless. If you work from home though, I can't recommend their business service enough, I've had it over a year now and 0 outages and it's never throttled.
Interesting ….
My wife does… but their customer services puts me off for the same reason
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: February 12, 2024, 10:19:14 am »
I had Vodafone through CityFibre for a couple of years and had no issues at all. It was just the price hikes mid contract and at renewal that made me move. I quite like the app you could use to manage your router and wireless networks.

I'm with Zen now.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1406 on: February 12, 2024, 10:31:39 am »

Not everywhere yet but I know a few who have https://www.brsk.co.uk/ and they said it's excellent.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1407 on: February 12, 2024, 10:41:37 am »
Interesting ….
My wife does… but their customer services puts me off for the same reason

the business team is entirely separate, UK based, you get an account manager and can contact them directly.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1408 on: February 12, 2024, 11:40:21 am »

I'm BT, but i have a contract for another year, it is ridiculously expensive [£48 a month just for broadband, £76 in total with 30gb mobile, & TNT Sports in the package], but i got double mobile data with the package [60gb a month] but i'm looking to leave when my contract is up.

I'm looking at moving to somewhere like plusnet for broadband once the contract is up

Just reading the virgin thread on here, the extra stress dealing with them when anything goes wrong puts me off signing up with them.
#Sausages

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1409 on: February 12, 2024, 12:02:35 pm »
I'm BT, but i have a contract for another year, it is ridiculously expensive [£48 a month just for broadband, £76 in total with 30gb mobile, & TNT Sports in the package], but i got double mobile data with the package [60gb a month] but i'm looking to leave when my contract is up.

I'm looking at moving to somewhere like plusnet for broadband once the contract is up

Just reading the virgin thread on here, the extra stress dealing with them when anything goes wrong puts me off signing up with them.

I've been back with Virgin for about 3 years since we bought our new build.

Pricewise nobody can get close. We've got the full TV package on two boxes, Sky Sports/Cinema in UHD, TNT Sports UHD, Netflix, phone line, Gig1 Broadband FTTP and that's costing me £74 per month. It would probably be double that for a compariable package from Sky or BT etc.

In terms of dealing with them, yes the phone lines/WhatsApp are offshore, and the service is poor - but they have do have an online Community Forum which is staffed by UK based employees and you get fairly quick responses back from them if you have an issue.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1410 on: February 12, 2024, 03:45:47 pm »
Happy enough with Plusnet 500Mb here, January sale price worked out at about £28.50 / month.

I'm too tight to pay for TV, IPTV works perfectly along with usenet using Sonarr and Jellyfin to serve it.

Will probably dump Netflix come to think of it.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1411 on: February 13, 2024, 09:52:56 pm »
Wifi 6 is stupidly fast and the X50 is at the budget end of the Deco range but I'm more than happy with its performance.  I think this local speed test is limited by the gigabit port on my server...
Shame I can only get FTTC...

Having said that now I've got 500Mbs FTTP, I've realised the Deco X50 lacks as it doesn't have dedicated frequencies for its backhaul between its units. This means it struggles to get more than 350Mbs in reality if its using to relay the data over the backhaul as well as to the client.

Not a massively major thing for me but the more expensive versions would perform better. The or run cable between them.

Still far faster than the Plusnet supplied piece of junk and when connected to the main unit, full speed is easy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 09:54:28 pm by Ben S »

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #1412 on: February 14, 2024, 11:49:43 am »
My internet speed at home is terrible! barely get 40mbs so you can imagine my excitement when I had an email from Open Reach saying my street is getting full fibre! Call my internet provider (Vodafone) and they say yeah we can upgrade you to 1g or something and it's like an extra £6 a month! fantastic I said and the engineer day was booked for a few weeks later. Day before the engineer visit Open Reach call me and apologised as there's been an error and my street hasn't actually been upgraded but don't worry it should be done before 2027  :butt

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1413 on: February 14, 2024, 12:36:48 pm »
Having said that now I've got 500Mbs FTTP, I've realised the Deco X50 lacks as it doesn't have dedicated frequencies for its backhaul between its units. This means it struggles to get more than 350Mbs in reality if its using to relay the data over the backhaul as well as to the client.

Not a massively major thing for me but the more expensive versions would perform better. The or run cable between them.

Still far faster than the Plusnet supplied piece of junk and when connected to the main unit, full speed is easy.

one of my decos is piss poor slow and I've not done anything to it, talking like 10Mbps, the other (main) is getting the full 600 🫠

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1414 on: February 14, 2024, 01:57:41 pm »
Are they on a wired backhaul Claire?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1415 on: February 15, 2024, 08:14:04 am »
no, it says it has a dedicated channel for it, will have to work out if it's interference.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1416 on: February 27, 2024, 03:31:35 pm »
Anyone got any experience with Trooli? They’re the only company offering FTTP where I live.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1417 on: February 27, 2024, 03:37:31 pm »
Anyone got any experience with Trooli? They’re the only company offering FTTP where I live.

Are they just an offshoot of City Fibre or something, there seem to be loads of those and in the end City Fibre are pretty decent. I'm with Giganet but again they just use City Fibre

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1418 on: February 27, 2024, 04:31:21 pm »
Are they just an offshoot of City Fibre or something, there seem to be loads of those and in the end City Fibre are pretty decent. I'm with Giganet but again they just use City Fibre
I think Trooli are independent and have/are building their own network

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #1419 on: March 2, 2024, 12:49:38 pm »
Recommendations please for best and hopefully fastest/powerful broadband provider in the B5 7 postcode  :wave :)
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #1420 on: March 3, 2024, 03:06:46 pm »
Anybody with Community Fibre on here, with Sky at the moment and tempted to make the move. Just wondering what's people's experience of moving away from openreach. Thanks

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1421 on: March 5, 2024, 03:43:18 pm »

Isn't that the company off the TV show Silicon Valley?  ???

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1422 on: March 5, 2024, 11:31:46 pm »
Isn't that the company off the TV show Silicon Valley?  ???
Never seen it. Are they any good on there?