Author Topic: I couldn't have said it better Raptor: Our Shankly  (Read 7809 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
I couldn't have said it better Raptor: Our Shankly
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:20:05 am »
If your going to read this piece, please listen to this song in the background. It's one I've listened to over the last few years of our perils and keeps me with hope in my heart. I'm not a proper writer, but this is the feelings from my heart typed up on RAWK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHW8NfdbfaI

Regards,
Tom

For Neil Mellor against Arsenal.
For Sinama Pongolle against Olympiakos.
For Neil Mellor against Olympiakos.
For Steve Gerrard agaisnt Olympiakos.
For Luis Garcia against Juventus.
Aurelio against Chelsea.

All of these evoke memories, feelings, reactions and happy times.

Look, it will take too long for me to mention all the goals- all the times, all the feelings, all the memories that I will take with me till the grave- and thats where they will go.

For my rights or wrongs and to the humour of you guys on here, I'm a guy who has a very shit job and lives near London which is ages away from Liverpool, but what I can look forward at the weekend is the football and with the current football climate I can also look forward to it during the week (Champions League or Europa for those slow at the back! ;) ). I raise my money from my work so I can go to Anfield, or so I can go to an away match or so I can go abroad and see the mighty reds. Since 1993 when I was 6, I've been fascinated with football and loved Liverpool ever since; the team, the people, the place. I can't help where I am from, once you have a team you can't change it and I can only prove my support by going and experiencing the events.

I'll take shit from whoever wants to bring it to me for this. I don't care. I will never change the team I support till the day I die. If your older than me and you have a different opinion, I'll take it with a pinch of salt and keep my mouth shut out of respect.

I'm from London. I've been in love with Liverpool since I was 6. My Mum is from Bolton, my Dad from Wigan and my Cousin from Liverpool.

Down in St. Albans, I used to go to a pub with my dad (who supports Rugby League). I was into Liverpool, very honestly because they were the only club in my primary school where no one collected the Premier League stickers, so I took on the mantle of collecting the Liverpool stickers for the magazine. That's quite simply where my love affair began. I marvelled over the trophies, I found out about the club, my passion started and never ended there. As a right back for my school and cub football team I took on McAteer's name and number on the back of my shirt.

As I got older I went to the pub more with my dad. It was very soon I was betting my £2 pocket money on Liverpool to beat United with the (irony) glory hunting middle aged bastards who were there, although most seasons I would lose my money and run outside to cry with the Rottwiliers: who were in actual fact normally quite fond of me and worried to know I felt quite bad, despite barking at other older regulars. There are too many United disappointments to list, perhaps this is why I have such a bitter nature towards them. I won't try and pretend I am not like the Blue Shite, I am jealous and bitter of Manchester United, I have only ever hoped that one day we can follow in their footsteps. Bad times; there are too many to mention but the one I can remember is seeing David James drop it into the path of Yorke for him to slam it into the back of the net, and then later, more importantly, to see him do the same in the middle of the box in the FA Cup Final only for Cantona to slice it into the corner, for United to win the FA Cup against us and for me to again cry my eyes out again: all over again. I just wanted a purpose, an ending, a trophy, something I could hold onto dearly till the day I died. I would get that. I would get a million times over what I wished for.

So without skipping the great things Evans and Houllier did and believe me they more than made up for, but in fairness, never compared to...

Benitez.

Benitez.

Benitez.

Rafael Benitez, like Garstonite has talked about, like Raptor has mentioned; despite me and Raptor never seeing eye to eye in real life, Benitez was my Shankly. My Paisley. My Fagan. I mean no disrespect to anyone who has witnessed what has gone previously and the amount they have won: which shouldn't be an indicator but us young'un's didn't know the drill, we were in the dark. My best until then was Houllier and Owen in the FA Cup but I had never been there to witness it, the big big cups like the league and the Champions League. And besides with Houllier I can barely remember that at 13 years old.

So  take a step forward before I go back...

I'm still not over Benitez leaving. It's a hard battle. It's really hard. Thanks to Sky Sports, the majority of people talk as if he took our club to the depths of Championship football. But he gave me hope, he made me believe it was possible for us to go somewhere, he made me and the Kop dream, he really, really made me believe.

For you guys on the Kop that day against Olympiakos I can only imagine how it felt. I had Arsenal fans, Chelsea fans and United fans leaving me in my room on my own as we went 1 nil down to the Rivaldo goal: they were off to get more beer, I was left at home to wallow in another Champions League exit. So on my own as a Kop virgin, I did my half time ritual and played You'll Never Walk Alone to myself as loud as I could via my brothers speakers. I sang along to it as loud as I could, no matter what a wanker I looked like from the people looking in from outside and prayed for us to come back, I had never felt that attached to football before. I was willing them on like it meant the world. Who would have known that a few years later "qualifying from the group stages" would be looked down upon, who would have known that a couple of years after that it would have been desirable: how many of us would swap Europa qualification for Champions League qualification, let alone qualifying for the knock out rounds with a strong result from the the final match of the group stages.

To cut this story short, we made it past Olympiakos.

You lot know the history. The goals are quoted in my opening paragraph. Each one greeted with me nearly breaking the sofa or breaking the floor beneath it, topped off with Gerrard's goal flying into the Kop End goal with my mates finally back in the room and me acting like a lunatic. They didn't understand. They just didn't understand. Some of them would understand a year later as Eto' shot into the corner for Barcelona in the final against Arsenal, but they didn't share the same hope or the same dreams of getting there in the first place, it was just fortunate for them. Their club hadn't let them dream.

Bar Luis Garcia's lob and Hyypias amazing volley against Juventus most of the rest is a blur. I'll be honest, I wasn't a total football fanatic until then. Not because of Europe, I think honestly because of my age. We could have been mid table but I'd have been travelling the country and anywhere else supporting them given the money.

But when it came down to the Semi Final's I remember going into Trafalagar square with a Liverpool supporter from my area called Nick and seeing all the flags all the banners and getting involved myself in the songs and the banter and if I didn't know it previously, I knew this was the club for me. No-one else, win or lose, has that much support backing them and that day because it was the away leg we begged for tickets and rightfully so we were turned down. But I will always remember the mark Liverpool made on Trafalgar square. I remember us eventually sneaking into a pub near Stamford Bridge and watching it with our Liverpool banner in our bag- hiding away, worried about the consequences.

So then the game went to Anfield, with the Stamford Bridge game finishing nil nil.

All the drama, all the tension, Garcia after barely 6 minutes. Was it in? Was it over? Was it a goal? Who gives a shit!? Chelsea have to score at least one to beat us here. I watched it at my mates house who wasn't as passionate as me but we still went mental as the clocked ticked down. 6 minutes stoppage time? 5 to go, What the fuck where has that come from? 4 to go, Who gives a fuck we are through anyway! 3, come on clear that ball, 2, keep it together lads, 2, JUST WHACK IT ANYWHERE, 1, Wait a second, the balls dropped at Gudjohnsen......... this is it........ this is the dream over, I can't believe it, all that way........ wait a second, he's missed! he's missed! we're through! we're through! we're there, we're there, we're there, I never thought it was possible, we're there.

I ran all the way from my mates house to my Dad's and told him in no uncertain terms I was going to the final. I know to some of you that was bandwagoning or not being a proper supporter, but at 16 and with the world ahead of me I just wanted the chance to be there, they had brought so much happiness to me and I didn't want it to end there- I wanted to go, and I will never apologise for that.

So my Dad agreed to help me in the task of getting a ticket. I remember trying to get a ticket from this forum as if I deserved one despite never going to a previous game bar Watford Away when Sinama Pongolle fucked his leg and was out for the rest of the season. I remember a guy called Lloyd PM'ing me off this forum offering me a 'neutral' ticket, and as a result, I remember meeting him when he picked me up from outside my house on the day with his long term mate Dorian who had been going to Anfield together from the 80's. We then made the trip and flew to Istanbul from Luton airport. I remember laughing at United's takeover in Luton Airport's 'pub' (I was right but look at us now) with fellow Liverpool fans, we were on the rise, they were falling: happy days!

I don't need to tell you about the final.

You already know what happened.
But as a 17 year old,
At my first ever proper match
Over a thousands miles from home
having walked through a field to get to the stadium.
One goal for AC Milan
A second for AC Milan
Crespo sealing the 3rd for AC milan
Having hoped for years to get to this stage.
Passionate as any of you are: I'll take any of you to task
With my mum, my dad and my brother texting their condolences to me at half time but not really understanding.
Tears streaming down my cheeks as I waved my Liverpool scarf in the air on my own in the neutral section
Me then standing there on top of the media section holding my Liverpool scarf, singing You'll Never Walk Alone at half time, joining in whole heartedly with the "we're gonna win 4-3" chants
Sitting in the neutral section: with the French and Spanish media behind me wondering why I was so passionate.
Exchanging banter with an Italian media guy at half time behind me about how Liverpool were going on to win even though I didn't believe as much but I told him anyway
I sat there, even though these two guys, Lloyd and Dorian had taken me there, Dorian in the Liverpool end, Lloyd trying his best to look after me even though I was all over the place.
I stood on my seat as tall as I could go, the tears streaming down my face as I looked at the score board- just hoping, just praying, just believing in one last miracle
Surely it can come.
I have never and will never feel that bad in football ever again because of what happened in that first 45 minutes (please don't relate this to previous horrible event's only circa 2000 and beyond- I mean just football and no offence)

You guys know what happened.
You guys know about Gerrard, Smice, - SAVE- Alonso.
Svevcencko through on goal, SAVED by DUDEK
Surely NOW! Dudek save- OVER THE BAR

All this happened. All of my emotions were all over the place, we eventually went onto win, but I will never forget the one man who made it all possible.

You know about the man who stood quietly in the background as the players (and the cheeky sod who wore the reserve kit) ran about on the pitch.

You know about the happiness brought to the city of Liverpool and beyond.

You know about the FA Cup victory.

You know about being ranked top in Europe during his 5 year tenure.

You know about Reina, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Torres, Mascherano and Agger

You know about Gerrard going from 1 in 3.5 to 1 in 2.5

You know about our record points total in 20 years (86)

You know about Carragher going from just about there, to one of the best defenders in the world from 2005-2007

Ultimately you know about the one guy that I look up to, that I miss, that I wish was still here.

You know about Rafa Benitez.

Even now, thinking about it all, a tear runs down my face, I'm that passionate about football and he took me from Neil Mellor's goal against the best team in England at the time in 2004, to Liverpool actually winning the European Cup and me witnessing it: what a legend, what a guy: I will never forget the personalised card he sent to me in return for me thanking him for his service till the day I die.

No disrespect to Hodgson (and in some ways Sky have ruined his legacy already by super imposing him on flags)

But.

I will always remember Benitez as my Shankly.

As one of the men who brought one of the biggest trophies home.

He took so much shit here from everyone it was unbelievable and he kept fighting on the pitch and off the pitch and he wanted to keep fighting till the very end and thanks to some of our animosity we let him go: thanks to Purslow and Broughton we let him go.

Rafa Benitez.

Correct if I'm wrong auld arses.

Shankly. Paisley. Fagan. Dalglish. Houllier. Benitez.

I sign off upset because of how far we have fallen in such a short time. I just hope one day we play Inter Milan so we can show him how we feel. Fuck Sky Sports, fuck TalkSport, Fuck all those scummy shitty papers, the Kop appreciate the man, the legend, the quiet but dignified Benitez.

Our Shankly.

Our Man.

Our Benitez. I personally, will never forget you.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:20:27 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: I couldn't have said it better Raptor: Our Shankly
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:41:04 am »
Nice read, tell you what though, you should knock off the I might be a glory hunter shite, you arent, you earned your stripes.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline martinlloyd85

• Main Stander
  • I cough all Mornin', and I smoke all night.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 01:44:08 am »
Give me strength.
-Justice.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:49:55 am »
Give me strength.

Im pissed sorry.

And I do feel sometimes like I have to prove myself.

Whatever, I came home and put out what I feel into that post.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:55:35 am »
good read...... nothing wrong with a bit of passion.... shows your hearts still beating  :scarf
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline martinlloyd85

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:58:16 am »
Im pissed sorry.

Whatever, I came home and put out what I feel into that post.

No, thats not the problem here lad. You're sound, you don't need to prove yourself as a fan. (Who are we to judge you? ) Thats not what worries me.

What worries me is that if this post Rafa Benitez "man-love-fest" continues for much longer on this forum, we're all going to end up ovulating. It needs to stop, seriously.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:04:46 am by martinlloyd85 »
-Justice.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:06:08 am »
No, thats not the problem here lad. You're sound, you don't need to prove yourself as a fan. Who are we to judge?  I'm not worried about that.

What worries me is that if this post Rafa Benitez "man-love-fest" continues for much longer on this forum, we're all going to end up ovulating. It needs to stop, seriously.

Fair enough mate your entitled to your opinion. I am very late in doing my post as an appreciation to a man I appreciate very much so.

I'm sorry if it feels like a "man-love-fest" and I really can't do much about that, I'll just point out kindly that your avatar is very much from a  man love fest moment with Benitez and that no-one will end up ovualting.

What is wrong in appreciating the good times, when I can't get through a day with this football club without thinking about just how far the toilet we are going. Just ask Lyndsey.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 02:11:28 am »
Thats obviously from the heart mate.

Fair play like.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:20 am »

love it Hij. makes sense to head and heart. shine on.  :)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:28 am »
No, thats not the problem here lad. You're sound, you don't need to prove yourself as a fan. (Who are we to judge you? ) Thats not what worries me.

Nowt wrong with a bit of man love, dont be afraid of your feelings, now give us a kiss :P

I dont think you have got anything to prove to anyone.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 02:25:39 am »
Good stuff. I don't think there will ever be another Shankly. football, and our club has just changed so much since his days. But I understand the sentiment, nobody will ever be able to take the feeling Rafa gave us young supporters away, feeling on top of the world.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline martinlloyd85

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 02:41:57 am »
Fair enough mate your entitled to your opinion. I am very late in doing my post as an appreciation to a man I appreciate very much so.

I'm sorry if it feels like a "man-love-fest" and I really can't do much about that, I'll just point out kindly that your avatar is very much from a  man love fest moment with Benitez and that no-one will end up ovualting.

What is wrong in appreciating the good times, when I can't get through a day with this football club without thinking about just how far the toilet we are going. Just ask Lyndsey.

My avatar is a brilliant picture of spur of the moment excitement. I chose it cos I like how much of a mad bastard Pepe is, he makes me laugh. And yeah, I've probably got a bit of man-love going on for him.

But if he was sold tomorrow...I would not spend the next two months throwing all my toys out the pram. I'll miss him, true. But I know that one day he will be replaced.

I never thought Liverpool would ever get a striker anywhere near the calibre of Robbie Fowler after he left. Now we have Fernando Torres. I felt the same when Steve Mcmanaman left, now we have Steven Gerrard. And as for Ged? The man got us a mini-treble ffs! And the cup-winners cup! How can you replace that? But we did, with Benitez. And we will fucking well do it with Benitez's replacement.

We will find replacements both in the team (and in our hearts) for Benitez, Torres, Gerrard, Carragher. We may even have them in Hodgson, Shelvey, Pacheco and Martin Kelly. Time heals all wounds, and we will move on as supporters as a new generation of Liverpool players continue to fill our trophy cabinet.

In the meantime...we can at least try and show a little dignity by not slagging off Hodgson every chance we get. I know thats not what you've done mate, but a lot of people on this forum have and i'm sick of hearing about the past when I'm really looking forward to the future.

People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:02:49 am by martinlloyd85 »
-Justice.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 02:52:26 am »
Well said lad, well said.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 02:57:39 am »
My avatar is a brilliant picture of spur of the moment excitement. I chose it cos I like how much of a mad bastard Pepe is, he makes me laugh. And yeah, I've probably got a bit of man-love going on for him.

But if he was sold tomorrow...I would not spend the next two months throwing all my toys out the pram. I'll miss him, true. But I know that one day he will be replaced.

I never thought Liverpool would ever get a striker anywhere near the calibre of Robbie Fowler after he left. Now we have Fernando Torres. I felt the same when Steve Mcmanaman left, now we have Steven Gerrard. And as for Ged? The man got us a mini-treble ffs! And the cup-winners cup! How can you replace that? But we did, with Benitez. And we will fucking well do it with Benitez's replacement.

We will find replacements both in the team (and in our hearts) for Benitez, Torres, Gerrard, Carragher. We may even have them in Shelvey, Pacheco and Martin Kelly. Time heals all wounds, and we will move on as supporters as a new generation of Liverpool players continue to fill our trophy cabinet.

In the meantime...we can at least try and show a little dignity by not slagging off Hodgson every chance we get. I know thats not what you've done mate, but a lot of people on this forum have and i'm sick of hearing about the past when I'm really looking forward to the future.

People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

To be honest I can't argue with that mate.

Offline toshi

• Kopite
  • Respect
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 03:20:18 am »
dammit, now i'm tearing up at work for second day in a row :(

CJ        : "Morton, this is President Bartlett"
Bartlett : "Hey Morton"
Morton (stunned) : "WOW"
Bartlett  : "Well Said"

Offline dodgiebloke

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 03:22:40 am »
Good read that.

Offline JetmirLFC

• Kopite
  • Rafael Benitez
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 04:10:15 am »
You bastard, made memories come back. God it feels such an awful dream!

Dear Don Rafael Benitez, you are and always will be sorely missed! (altho my signature gives me a ray of hope).
"I can guarantee one thing – I will not sell my house. It is our home and we will come back. I don't know when but we will come back for sure." - Rafael Benitez on 24.06.2010

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 04:14:58 am »
Benitez as Shankly ? 

why im reading this....please, dont compare Shankly with nobody. Shankly was one, others are others
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Des Equilibrante

• Legacy Fan
  • Ex-pat Pie-Eater
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 05:00:40 am »
Benitez as Shankly ? 

why im reading this....please, dont compare Shankly with nobody. Shankly was one, others are others
You realise you just compared Shankly to others in that post ey? Wouldn't want you to come across as a hypocrite, is all.

Great post, OP.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:03:54 am by Des Equilibrante »
Some say he haunts Rawk threads.

All we know is, he's called Des Equilibrante

Offline Ramon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 05:20:19 am »
 Great read.  It might sound silly but one of the thing I'm going to miss about Rafa is using the excuse; "I have an appointment with Dr. Benitez" on European Nights the get out of work."  I don't think I can use "Dr. Hodgson" as an excuse.
SOS member #2428.  We'll be coming, we'll be coming down the road! When you hear the noise from the Bill Shankly boys, we'll be coming down the road!!!!

Offline bod

• Main Stander
  • YNWA Rafa
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 07:12:09 am »
Great read man.  Thanks.  I miss Rafa.

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 07:41:49 am »
Great read

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 08:10:04 am »
Great post. Its getting really tiresome with all these people coming into threads CLEARLY about Benitez which CLEARLY do not slag off Hodgson and then they start making groundless accusations. Its ok to celebrate past managers just like Paisley, Shankly and Dalglish are celebrated. I do not understand why some people are forcibly trying to erase Benitez from our minds. We are afterall entitled to remember our old manager and that does not equate to slagging off the new one
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline V77

• Main Stander
  • Supersub
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 08:27:32 am »
I'm with you all the way Hij, thanks for that post.

To me, Rafa is one of a rare kind, and it feels like a monumental tragedy, like a sinister conspiracy of fate worthy of a Shakespear drama, that he, who for me so much epitomised what a manager of Liverpool Football Club is all about, was hounded out by those who are not worthy to lace his boots.

So, while as always, I am focused on supporting my club, I feel a deep, deep sadness that he's no longer our manager.

It's the most cryptic of Shanks' quotes, 'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.', but I always believed that he meant to say that football isn't simply about football, it's not simply about winning or losing. It's about the game, and the way it is played by the players, the way it is appreciated by the fans, the way it is represented by the club as a whole being a reflection of sound principles, respect, humility and hard work, that would be the basis of, but also transcend the game itself.

Not winning hurts. After all, to quote Shanks again, 'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.' Yet, if as a club, players, manager and fans stick to their principles, and humbly endure the bad times just as they enjoy the good, you will get through it, like you can get through everything the storms throws at you. Even a difficult journey can still be a worthwhile journey, if only to build your character in the face of adversity.

Rafa at the helm, the good reds out in force, (and, sigh, a decent pair of owners who respect the Liverpool Way) - it wouldn't have been fun to go another season without winning something, no, not at all, but it would have been tolerable. For Rafa's wisdom, his style, his love of the club and the city, I would always have supported him.

And I believe that in normal circumstances, not with obscene amounts of money for transfers provided by superrich owners, just normal circumstances, in which he would have been allowed to build a squad over a few years by adding better players to the good ones, rather than being forced to sell the good ones in order to get the better ones, and having to get dirstinctly average or young and inexperienced ones to make up the numbers, he would have won us the league.

We will never know.

And I want to say that I have a lot of sympathy for Hodgson, and will not say a bad word about him while he is our manager (and none after that either, even if things go bad on the pitch). Life will go on, yes. Our club will go on, without a doubt. We'll walk on, with hope in our hearts.

And maybe there is a twist in the tale further down the line. If the situation in the boarded-up room is ever going to go back to normal, I'd welcome Rafa back in a heartbeat.
JFT97

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 11:57:11 am »
Hij mate, its a passionate and great tale you've written and all credit to showing us your passion. However you say yourself, that you didn't know Shankly, you were born in '87 I think, and so you are new to the club but no less of fan for that. But given you weren't around at the time of Shankly or Paisley, I think you'd be better off saying Benitez was your Benitez. I know that you're trying to say the importance of what Rafa brought to your club is the same as how some of us arl arses place in Shanks, but to be honest (and I'm not taking away what you've put) its not the same thing.
Shanks dragged us up to being who we are today, (or arguably who we were til a few seasons ago) and changed utterly forever the perception of Liverpool Football Club. His way of doing things was a one off. Sadly the closest to his type was probably Brian Clough. I say sadly cos Cloughie was a cock. But he was a one off too.
For me, I daren't even mention Shanks that much cos I was too young to experience the full glory of his ways, for me, Paisley is my 'Shanks' as you would have it.
But he's not, and I'd never write that, Paisley is my favourite Liverpool manager cos I grew up with him and what he did and his times are indelibly stamped on my heart and soul. But I'd never compare him to Shankly. Cos he was Paisley.
So whilst I totally get your passion and what you want to say, just be aware of some of us dinosaurs perhaps taking issue at the comparison.
Compare the passion aroused in your soul sure. But not the men, never. That would be wrong. :wave
Yep.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

O.k. thats going in my sig, what is it about LFC that can have a 42 year old man who has no connection with the city get a lump in his throat from reading posts like this and the thread OP

YNWA

I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

hoonin

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »

No it doesn't. It's a part of our history that doesn't deserve to be whitewashed.

Nice read Hij mate. Dont share all of your sentiments, but love reading other peoples experiences of being part of the clubs history, be it an OCB regaling tales from 70's/80's or those from younger generations.

Cheers.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »
heartfelt that
Doubters to Believers

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 02:19:20 pm »
Hij mate, its a passionate and great tale you've written and all credit to showing us your passion. However you say yourself, that you didn't know Shankly, you were born in '87 I think, and so you are new to the club but no less of fan for that. But given you weren't around at the time of Shankly or Paisley, I think you'd be better off saying Benitez was your Benitez. I know that you're trying to say the importance of what Rafa brought to your club is the same as how some of us arl arses place in Shanks, but to be honest (and I'm not taking away what you've put) its not the same thing.
Shanks dragged us up to being who we are today, (or arguably who we were til a few seasons ago) and changed utterly forever the perception of Liverpool Football Club. His way of doing things was a one off. Sadly the closest to his type was probably Brian Clough. I say sadly cos Cloughie was a cock. But he was a one off too.
For me, I daren't even mention Shanks that much cos I was too young to experience the full glory of his ways, for me, Paisley is my 'Shanks' as you would have it.
But he's not, and I'd never write that, Paisley is my favourite Liverpool manager cos I grew up with him and what he did and his times are indelibly stamped on my heart and soul. But I'd never compare him to Shankly. Cos he was Paisley.
So whilst I totally get your passion and what you want to say, just be aware of some of us dinosaurs perhaps taking issue at the comparison.
Compare the passion aroused in your soul sure. But not the men, never. That would be wrong. :wave

spot on mate

comparing Shankly with other managers,its like comparing Jesus with apostles

respect for apostles,but Jesus is Jesus

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez