The Liverpool FC Forum > News and Current Affairs

The Monarchy*

(1/947) > >>

thejbs:
Another week, another Royal scandal. Prince “cash for honours” Charles received 3 separate suitcases of €1m cash from a Qatari PM. I’m sure the Princes trust will show audited receipts…

Prince Charles 'accepted a suitcase with 1m euros', report claims https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61941113

Surely it’s time the UK binned the royals?

No666:
We're supposed to take it on trust that nothing untoward happened to the money. Also, that Charles hasn't lobbied for the Sheikh's interests in the UK. That's before we come to Qatar's record on human rights. Charles is outraged by Rwanda (rightly) but turns a blind eye to migrant deaths in Qatar?

Sangria:

--- Quote from: thejbs on June 26, 2022, 08:52:35 am ---Another week, another Royal scandal. Prince “cash for honours” Charles received 3 separate suitcases of €1m cash from a Qatari PM. I’m sure the Princes trust will show audited receipts…

Prince Charles 'accepted a suitcase with 1m euros', report claims https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61941113

Surely it’s time the UK binned the royals?

--- End quote ---

Can't we wait until the Tories are gone before going after the royals? It's not a vote winner, and I'd like to minimise the amount of vote losing until the Tories are gone.

Lusty:
Trouble with abolishing the monarchy is you need to replace it with something. I'm no fan of the monarchy as an institution or as a collection of individuals, but if we abolished them tomorrow then you're giving the worst PM in my lifetime the opportunity to write a new constitution, and that idea fills me with dread.

If you were to give me a blank slate right now to reform this country's constitution, I'd be looking at things like PR, devo max, house of lords reform, an english parliament sitting outside of London etc. All of that is achievable and will definitely improve things. Abolishing the monarchy is probably not achievable, and has every chance of leaving us in a Tory led dictatorship, so I don't think it's a worthwhile fight from a pragmatic point of view.

Sangria:
Given what's happened, it's probably a shot across the bows from the Tory media, warning the royals what they can expect if they speak out against the government again.

I wouldn't bother with anything that doesn't significantly and substantially improve the country until 1) the Tories are removed from power, and 2) the media are reformed so as not to near-guarantee the kind of politics we've had in the past decade. That is what hurts the country the most, by a massive margin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version