Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)  (Read 40784 times)

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2022, 08:02:01 am »
I'm already getting Silmarillion vibes off this, a dense, unreadable tying up of loose ends, answering questions I had forgotten I was asking by the next page or scene during the stories. I'm too old for this I suspect.

The Silmarillion is tailor made for a TV series! Would be awesome to see the three different Elf Kingdoms, creation of the Dwarves, Morgoth, armies of Balrogs!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2022, 09:45:31 am »
The Silmarillion is tailor made for a TV series! Would be awesome to see the three different Elf Kingdoms, creation of the Dwarves, Morgoth, armies of Balrogs!

Yeah if done well, could be amazing!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2022, 09:54:58 am »
Loads of information and first-look pics in this Vanity Fair article:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/amazon-the-rings-of-power-series-first-look

Everything looks too clean, that 'Netflix' look.

Trailer this weekend so we'll see I guess.
:D

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2022, 07:55:19 am »
Everything looks too clean, that 'Netflix' look.

Trailer this weekend so we'll see I guess.

I agree. Get a "The Hobbit" feeling and I think those were terrible movies; also in terms of style (yes, I realise it's for children).
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2022, 09:15:35 am »
I agree. Get a "The Hobbit" feeling and I think those were terrible movies; also in terms of style (yes, I realise it's for children).

The gulf in quality between LOTR and the Hobbit is so jarring. We still bung on a LOTR film from time to time, they're always a brilliant watch. Hobbit films have been on TV recently, couldn't get through more than 20 minutes on any of them. It's a shame because they do a lot right on paper. The casting is great, obviously some of the CGI is hugely impressive. Don't think there's much wrong with any of the acting either from memory. But for all the dramatic action scenes they're just incredibly dull, bloated films. There's never any jeopardy. From the barrel jumping in the river to escaping from the orcs underground, the dwarves are all playing the game on cheat mode and none of them gets as much as a scratch until the end of the trilogy by which point I'm amazed if anyone cares.

I appreciate that they're trying very vaguely to follow the plot of the book, but I knew what was going to happen in LOTR and it was still tense and gripping. Such a shame.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2022, 09:34:57 am »
The gulf in quality between LOTR and the Hobbit is so jarring. We still bung on a LOTR film from time to time, they're always a brilliant watch. Hobbit films have been on TV recently, couldn't get through more than 20 minutes on any of them. It's a shame because they do a lot right on paper. The casting is great, obviously some of the CGI is hugely impressive. Don't think there's much wrong with any of the acting either from memory. But for all the dramatic action scenes they're just incredibly dull, bloated films. There's never any jeopardy. From the barrel jumping in the river to escaping from the orcs underground, the dwarves are all playing the game on cheat mode and none of them gets as much as a scratch until the end of the trilogy by which point I'm amazed if anyone cares.

I appreciate that they're trying very vaguely to follow the plot of the book, but I knew what was going to happen in LOTR and it was still tense and gripping. Such a shame.

What would you make of an adaptation of Children of Hurin? That story, more than any other Tolkien story, has a streak of doom running throughout (in all senses of the word), so that in every positive moment you can still see how it's all going to shit. A classical Greek tragedy in its themes.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2022, 10:13:34 am »
What would you make of an adaptation of Children of Hurin? That story, more than any other Tolkien story, has a streak of doom running throughout (in all senses of the word), so that in every positive moment you can still see how it's all going to shit. A classical Greek tragedy in its themes.

Sounds more interesting than the Hobbit ;D

I think the most disappointing thing about the latter is the sense of missed opportunity. The book is lovely and whilst obviously focused more on young people than LOTR and the rest of his works, there is plenty in there to make a wonderful film. Even spread over two movies. The problem with three films is that you know that they're all going to be there, more or less, in two films' time. So there's no peril. For those who don't know the full story, Boromir getting bumped off at the end of the first LOTR movie makes you think "whoa wait a minute". It's just pointless having endless fight scenes if the outcome is entirely predictable.

And the LOTR films being so good made it seem like Peter Jackson "got it" in terms of representing that world on film. So it felt doubly frustrating when they were so mundane.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2022, 10:58:07 am »
Sounds more interesting than the Hobbit ;D

I think the most disappointing thing about the latter is the sense of missed opportunity. The book is lovely and whilst obviously focused more on young people than LOTR and the rest of his works, there is plenty in there to make a wonderful film. Even spread over two movies. The problem with three films is that you know that they're all going to be there, more or less, in two films' time. So there's no peril. For those who don't know the full story, Boromir getting bumped off at the end of the first LOTR movie makes you think "whoa wait a minute". It's just pointless having endless fight scenes if the outcome is entirely predictable.

And the LOTR films being so good made it seem like Peter Jackson "got it" in terms of representing that world on film. So it felt doubly frustrating when they were so mundane.

I recommend Children of Hurin if you like the serious side of Tolkien. It starts off with the biggest battle of the First Age, which ends with a single human warrior holding out against a tide of orcs but eventually being captured. Said human (Hurin) is brought to Morgoth (Sauron's boss), but instead of being daunted, defies him. In return Morgoth curses Hurin's family, and gives him a cinematic view of what's happenng with them.

Then the bulk of the story follows Hurin's wife and their son (Turin) and daughter. At each turn fate seems to make them make the wrong decision again and again, but it's debatable whether it's Morgoth's curse or their character flaws. By the end, when both children are dead by suicide and his wife is beggared, Morgoth releases Hurin to leave him free to seek revenge on those whom he thinks has wronged his family. In the Council of Elrond, when Frodo says he'll take the Ring to Mount Doom, Elrond declares him to be as much a hero as Hurin and Turin (and others).

In terms of cinematic quality, the image of a single warrior continuing to fight when everyone else on his side was dead, killing dozens of orcs, crying out "Day shall come again!" with each kill, is unmatched by anything in Star Wars.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2022, 10:59:19 am »

Yes, but if there were they would probably be over sexualised so you cannot win these days

They don't have to be though, that's the point. It's just certain writers in television over play the sexuality in female characters. The great thing about fantasy for me is you can play with the rules a little bit, it doesn't have to have the same rules which apply in our world.

I hope the show is better than people are thinking anyway I guess you just need to give it a chance.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 11:16:40 am by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RedJim

• Nickname Thief!
  • Kopite
  • Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2022, 12:34:19 pm »
It seems that there is a lot of arguing already about the presence of black / mixed-race hobbits, dwarves and elves in the series.

I know this will probably be a sensitive topic but I imagine this kind of debate will be rumbling on and on as the series approaches, with a backlash against the perceived 'wokeness' of the series. I do have concerns about the series playing fast and loose with the established lore, but I think skin tone is probably the least of those worries based on the information we're getting out of the Vanity Fair article and other set leaks/rumours.

The 'debate' seems to already be polarised, with those who have genuine concerns simply being called racist (which I suspect, sadly, is true in many cases). To be clear, I understand that it's important to have a diverse cast for a series coming out in 2022, so I'm not at all bothered about them casting non-white actors - all I'm hoping to see is that is in keeping with the original lore.

I'm worried that the discourse around this is going to lead to anyone having legitimate doubts about the story being cast as racist, although this is probably more of an issue with the polarised nature of arguments in the social media age, which I won't get into here as it's probably been done to death.

I do think they had an opportunity to show some of the lesser discussed cultures in Middle-Earth - Easterlings (probably inspired by middle-eastern, Asian cultures) and Haradrim (Arab and/or African). One of the criticisms of the Tolkien works is that these cultures are aligned with Sauron, and there is a perception that dark-skinned = evil. I think it could have been a good opportunity to explore this, since those people are presumably not evil by definition, but had been corrupted by Sauron. This could have been a chance to show those people resisting evil, perhaps aided by the two wizards who (in later iterations of the story) travelled East and South in the Second Age, and could have been a more organic way to include a diverse cast and tell new stories.

Concerning hobbits, the harfoot tribe are described as "browner of skin" so I can understand that choice. I think it's more likely that Tolkien intended this to mean brown/tanned rather than black, but I don't have a problem with that at the end of the day since you could definitely argue that it's in keeping with the written works. The bigger issue is the presence of hobbits at all in the Second Age, or rather the interaction of hobbits and elves/men at that time.

There are dwarf clans that originate in the far Eastern parts of middle-earth and again it's conceivable that they could be non-white (although probably more likely to have middle-eastern or Asian features if you think of that world as analogous to ours). Don't have a problem with that either and, canonically, the Eastern dwarves did travel West due to the threat of Sauron (albeit in the Third Age).

Also, there's quite a bit of backlash about the female Dwarven character not having a beard. Firstly, a lot of this is probably a proxy argument for those who are not happy with her appearance for other reasons, sadly. Secondly, it looks to me as though there is a beard of sorts anyway.

Maybe it's a bit more of a stretch to have a dark skinned elf (Arondir), given that the origin story of the three original elven clans is well fleshed out, and that the LoTR appendices specifically mention the elves being fair skinned. However, given the time that passed since the Awakening of the elves and the late-Second Age (I don't think this is confirmed anywhere, but would seem to be the timeline of the series given that Isildur is going to be in it), it's not inconceivable that certain Avari elves may have travelled southwards and could have ended up with darker skin tones. Roughly 7000-8000 'solar years' would have passed between the elves awakening and the late Second Age, which *I think* would be enough time to adapt/evolve to those conditions.

One (lore) issue I have with the character of Arondir is that he's mentioned as having a forbidden love affair with a human. There are three known unions between elves and humans in the stories, and such unions are supposed to be rare in-story. Each one resulted in world-changing events.

I suppose this will depend on the execution of their story, and whether it would result in a new line of half-elven, which would be a significant departure from the source material.

Another issue is the description of Elrond as being 'politically ambitious'. I don't think that is true at all given what has happened in his life up to that point. I suppose that could mean almost anything, but my worry is that they turn him into a Littlefinger-esque schemer.

There are also some rumours of Galadriel having a brother who leads a band of orcs. Galadriel's brothers were all killed by the end of the First Age (although technically one was re-incarnated and living in Valinor). Whether it's the re-incarnated brother transplanted into middle earth and turned evil, or whether it's a brand new long-lost brother (more likely), I'm hoping they don't go down that route.

I think Amazon are probably on a hiding to nothing with the die hard, lore obsessed fans (although I suspect that's isn't their target audience), primarily due to the scarcity of information on the Second Age which means they'll necessarily have to fill in gaps. I don't think they have the rights to any First Age stories, which I would love to see adapted on screen.

Broadly speaking, even the most die hard fans accept that the Jackson portrayal is pretty good, even though certain characters are actually quite different compared with their book portrayals (Frodo and Aragorn, for example). Realistically, this is probably because those films are their first experience of the Tolkien legendarium and so it would be interesting to hear if older fans who had read the books prior to their release have a different view on that.

I suppose at the end of the day it will come down to the story telling - since good story telling (LoTR films) will mean they can get away with some departures from the source material, whereas bad story telling (Hobbit films) means that those departures are egregrious and jarring.

That said, I did enjoy the Shadow of War games, although Tolkien would be rolling in his grave at some of their takes on the source material (looking at you sexy Shelob :D)

Hopefully all these concerns are proved completely wrong, because I've always wanted more of this story. I just hope they do it justice and it doesn't turn into another late-era Game of Thrones.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2022, 01:02:10 pm »

For me the problem with the Hobbit is that it's quite a difficult story to tell well in a movie in my view. At the end of the day, the book is essentially about Bilbo and the dwarves are just side characters who are with him on his journey. I don't really remember the dwarves being really portrayed in depth except their leader whatever he's called. With the movies it just turns into a huge clusterfuck, because you have a huge group of people you're following and at the end of the day only a few of them really play a part in the story. That's why I don't really like the movies. It's different for LOTR, because while you also have a lot of main protagonists, they basically split up after the first film and you get to follow their various stories separately and it's much easier to focus on all of them. With the Hobbit you have Bilbo, the mad dwarf fella, Gandalf and then a shitload of other dwarves you don't really care about, because they're just there (except maybe for Kili who gets this forced "love story" with the Elf lady).

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2022, 01:10:04 pm »
For me the problem with the Hobbit is that it's quite a difficult story to tell well in a movie in my view. At the end of the day, the book is essentially about Bilbo and the dwarves are just side characters who are with him on his journey. I don't really remember the dwarves being really portrayed in depth except their leader whatever he's called. With the movies it just turns into a huge clusterfuck, because you have a huge group of people you're following and at the end of the day only a few of them really play a part in the story. That's why I don't really like the movies. It's different for LOTR, because while you also have a lot of main protagonists, they basically split up after the first film and you get to follow their various stories separately and it's much easier to focus on all of them. With the Hobbit you have Bilbo, the mad dwarf fella, Gandalf and then a shitload of other dwarves you don't really care about, because they're just there (except maybe for Kili who gets this forced "love story" with the Elf lady).

I agree about the Hobbit. Some books are better told in a show formation rather than films. As a fan of His Dark Materials, the film version The Golden Compass was awful for me, didn't do anything like tell the story with justice. With a series you can show much more as they have done with it recently. It makes you think they may have been better to doing the Hobbit as a show rather than Lord of the Rings. I don't see how it's ever going to be better than the films already done.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2022, 01:10:24 pm »
I don't have a more nuanced take RedJim with regard to the deiversity of the cast.

My issue is they don't actually care about a diverse cast really, they're just box ticking. There's not a single East Asian or Indian in the cast at all. If you wanna be diverse, be diverse.

Another one is the characteristics and style, the haircuts of some of the cast members just dont fit. It was like this on Wheel of Time with everyone looking like they're on the front page of a teen magazine fresh out the shower.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2022, 02:11:49 pm »
I don't have a more nuanced take RedJim with regard to the deiversity of the cast.

My issue is they don't actually care about a diverse cast really, they're just box ticking. There's not a single East Asian or Indian in the cast at all. If you wanna be diverse, be diverse.

Another one is the characteristics and style, the haircuts of some of the cast members just dont fit. It was like this on Wheel of Time with everyone looking like they're on the front page of a teen magazine fresh out the shower.

Yes, one of the great things about the LOTR films is that everything looked lived in and messy, and then Rivendell just hits you with how clean and shiny it all is. You can really believe the fellowship didn't have a bath for weeks trekking all over the place.

It's a bit like watching action films from the 80s and seeing how sweaty everyone is, and in today's films actors barely have a smudge on their clothes.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2022, 02:48:37 pm »

I tried to list the dwarves in Thorin's company, and I missed 4. I don't think they had any distinguishing features, and nor did one or two of those whose names I remembered.

Thorin: the leader
Balin: the one who was friendly with Bilbo, died in Moria
Dwalin: er..
Bombur: the fat one
Oin: One of Ori and Oin was the notekeeper in Moria, the other was killed by the Watcher in the Deep
Ori: see above
Gloin: Gimli's father
Fili: Thorin's nephew
Kili: Thorin's nephew

I couldn't remember the others.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2022, 07:18:51 pm »
For me the problem with the Hobbit is that it's quite a difficult story to tell well in a movie in my view. At the end of the day, the book is essentially about Bilbo and the dwarves are just side characters who are with him on his journey.

Absolutely agree with the post in general, but the obvious addition to this bit is that the grand finale of the story, the Battle of Five Armies, isn't part of Bilbo's journey at all as he gets knocked out just before and has to be told what happened afterwards.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2022, 07:43:10 pm »
I'd love to see a series based on the events in the Silmarillion. You'd probably have to make it in two parts: The first one would deal with the Song of Arda (this would just be backstory, like the Last Alliance was for LotR) and the beginning of life in Valinor. The Awakening of the Elves, the Light of the Trees, making the Silmarils, Morgoth and Ungoliant, the Oath of Feanor, the Kinslaying, and the initial battles in Beleriand, founding of Gondolin etc.

Then the second part would take place towards the end of the First Age (a few hundred years later). You'd have to quickly recap how Men came about and the Houses of them that were allied to the Elves. Then you run through the known stories of the era - Beren & Luthien, the Children of Hurin, Huor's line, more Kinslayings, the fall of Gondolin and the coming together of Elves and Men, resulting in Earendil, Elwing, Elrond and Elros. Then you get the big final battles of the Age and the destruction of Beleriand itself.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2022, 09:49:40 am »
Loads of information and first-look pics in this Vanity Fair article:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/amazon-the-rings-of-power-series-first-look

In the novels, the aforementioned things take place over thousands of years, but Payne and McKay have compressed events into a single point in time. It is their biggest deviation from the text, and they know it’s a big swing. “We talked with the Tolkien estate,” says Payne. “If you are true to the exact letter of the law, you are going to be telling a story in which your human characters are dying off every season because you’re jumping 200 years in time, and then you’re not meeting really big, important canon characters until season four. Look, there might be some fans who want us to do a documentary of Middle-earth, but we’re going to tell one story that unites all these things.”

This is the only worring bit for me.... it's not just it being 'different' to the source texts, but that one of the hugest drivers of tragedy in the Second Age was indeed the "Gift of Men", ie natural death. The downfall of Numenor, and everything that span out of that, could only be engineered by Sauron taking advantage of the declining lifespans of Men and their resulting envy of Elves. His biggest leverage in terms of giving the Rings of Power to the 9 kings and lords of men (which was done 1000 years before Numenor fell, but will now be that very morning) was that it would stave off their deaths.

Being afraid to have the human characters dying makes no sense to me, or having a problem "important characters turn up in season four" as if all an epic story's characters should naturally have scenes in the first act, rather than be introduced at the correct point in the narrative.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2022, 01:13:41 pm »
This is the only worring bit for me.... it's not just it being 'different' to the source texts, but that one of the hugest drivers of tragedy in the Second Age was indeed the "Gift of Men", ie natural death. The downfall of Numenor, and everything that span out of that, could only be engineered by Sauron taking advantage of the declining lifespans of Men and their resulting envy of Elves. His biggest leverage in terms of giving the Rings of Power to the 9 kings and lords of men (which was done 1000 years before Numenor fell, but will now be that very morning) was that it would stave off their deaths.

Being afraid to have the human characters dying makes no sense to me, or having a problem "important characters turn up in season four" as if all an epic story's characters should naturally have scenes in the first act, rather than be introduced at the correct point in the narrative.

Which begs the question of why make it in the first place, if you're going to discard the key theme. We know why of course, but if the Gift of Men is passed over, there is little artistic point to an adaptation of the Second Age. It would be like an adaptation of Lord of the Rings that misses out the One Ring, or The Hobbit without Smaug.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2022, 01:52:46 am »
Looks decent, let's hope it ends up as good.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v7v1hIkYH24" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v7v1hIkYH24</a>
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:56:22 am by Kashinoda »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2022, 12:05:04 pm »
Think I'm one of the very few who actually didn't mind the Hobbit movies. Obviously they're not on LOTR levels, but I still think they're watchable.

This new series looks great. I do hope its proper Fantasy stuff, big monsters etc, rather than just making it like the boring parts of GOT and more recently the Witcher.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2022, 12:21:05 pm »
Saw the trailer earlier and although there’s not much to go on, some of it just looks ‘cheap’

I’ll watch it regardless as I do with anything LotR related, but something just makes it seem like a poor immitation.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2022, 12:38:33 pm »
Think I'm one of the very few who actually didn't mind the Hobbit movies. Obviously they're not on LOTR levels, but I still think they're watchable.

This new series looks great. I do hope its proper Fantasy stuff, big monsters etc, rather than just making it like the boring parts of GOT and more recently the Witcher.

Witcher? The one with Geralt the monster hunter (with his sourceress girlfriend and adopted Elf/Elder Blood child ;D)?

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2022, 12:44:49 pm »
Not quite sure why they looked at the aesthetic of the films and decided - yep - let’s make it look like the hobbit again.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2022, 12:53:53 pm »
Not quite sure why they looked at the aesthetic of the films and decided - yep - let’s make it look like the hobbit again.

At the same time why were people expecting it to take the aesthetic of Lord of the Rings? It's set thousands of years before when Middle Earth isn't in ruins.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2022, 02:11:39 pm »
Witcher? The one with Geralt the monster hunter (with his sourceress girlfriend and adopted Elf/Elder Blood child ;D)?

Thats the one! I've enjoyed both seasons but I guess coming from having played the games (well...the game) I'm hoping to see a lot more than there has been in the first two seasons.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2022, 04:51:26 pm »
Looks decent, let's hope it ends up as good.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v7v1hIkYH24" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v7v1hIkYH24</a>

Meh. Even the music is generic.

At the same time why were people expecting it to take the aesthetic of Lord of the Rings? It's set thousands of years before when Middle Earth isn't in ruins.

It's not world building for me - but just the general "look". I think it was you that pointed out all characters look like they just came out of the shower. That's a great way to put it, as this trailer show just that. It's too clean.

Hopefully that's just the trailer.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2022, 05:52:15 pm »
Meh. Even the music is generic.

It's not world building for me - but just the general "look". I think it was you that pointed out all characters look like they just came out of the shower. That's a great way to put it, as this trailer show just that. It's too clean.

Hopefully that's just the trailer.

Yeah I did and I think it's a bit better in motion, though not really nailing it by any stretch. Just watching the 4K version of The Fellowship and you could argue Frodo is definitely as 'clean cut' as some of these characters, the difference is how 'earthy' the presentation is. People say it's because it was shot digitally but really it's down to how they go about the editing process.

There are some promising shots in the trailer, there are others where it looks like they've taken Peter Jackson's approach to Rivendale and smeared it elsewhere.

On the music, luckily Howard Shore returns to compose for the series. Hopefully the second trailer uses something from that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:53:59 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2022, 06:32:12 pm »
I'm looking forward to it, its getting so much flak on social media seeing its only a 1 minute teaser. Remind me when everyone was slagging off Witcher and saying how crap it would be when they released a few seconds of film.

Is that a young Galadriel hanging from the cliff.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2022, 06:35:21 pm »
I'm looking forward to it, its getting so much flak on social media seeing its only a 1 minute teaser. Remind me when everyone was slagging off Witcher and saying how crap it would be when they released a few seconds of film.

Should just let go for a quick ticket back to Valinor.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2022, 08:11:08 pm »
The YouTube comments on that trailer are flooded with people quoting Tolkein saying something about evil not being able to create anything new (many of them in Russian for some reason). They really think this series is evil and they're these brave warriors fighting some righteous campaign against it. Loads of clickbait videos as well, saying how they already know it's going to be a 'woke disaster' and whingeing about the destruction of 'European culture'. Strong white supremacist vibes from a lot of them.

I thought some Star Wars fans were hysterical and ridiculous, but this lot take it to another level. It's like they want to suck the enjoyment out of everything.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2022, 08:59:07 pm »
Cant really judge too much from that, but I find it baffling that anyone can look at the effects in that and think its cheap looking.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2022, 09:01:10 pm »
The YouTube comments on that trailer are flooded with people quoting Tolkein saying something about evil not being able to create anything new (many of them in Russian for some reason). They really think this series is evil and they're these brave warriors fighting some righteous campaign against it. Loads of clickbait videos as well, saying how they already know it's going to be a 'woke disaster' and whingeing about the destruction of 'European culture'. Strong white supremacist vibes from a lot of them.

I thought some Star Wars fans were hysterical and ridiculous, but this lot take it to another level. It's like they want to suck the enjoyment out of everything.
Aye its mad. Seems like a bunch of Russian sock puppet accounts. Could be just one dickhead doing that.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2022, 09:04:20 pm »

Why are they slagging it off, it seems mad before they've even given it a chance.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2022, 09:12:24 pm »
Why are they slagging it off, it seems mad before they've even given it a chance.

Because it has black actors in it and they're convinced it's going to be 'woke propaganda'. They pretend they're concerned with preserving the 'authenticity' of Tolkein's work, but I think we all know what it's about for many of them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 09:15:51 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2022, 09:13:53 pm »
Because it has black actors in it and they're convinced it's going to be 'woke propaganda'.

How many times is this going to get raised each time black actors get used? It's pathetic to be honest.  ::)  I just looked at the trailer all the comments are in Russian, has Putin taken over youtube?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 09:16:29 pm by jillc »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2022, 09:20:38 pm »
Because it has black actors in it and they're convinced it's going to be 'woke propaganda'. They pretend they're concerned with preserving the 'authenticity' of Tolkein's work, but I think we all know what it's about for many of them.

I honestly dont think most of it is.

You've got Tolkein die hards and huge fans of the movie for one, plus a lot of people think it looks a bit generic. Was debating it with a friend today who didn't like it at all, if he's a racist he's hidden it well all these years.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2022, 09:24:32 pm »

You've got Tolkein die hards and huge fans of the movie for one, plus a lot of people think it looks a bit generic. Was debating it with a friend today who didn't like it at all, if he's a racist he's hidden it well all these years.
Tolkien die hards hate the movies and will hate this too.

You can never bring to the screen what those books bring to them. It’s too personal an experience.

However, it’s perfectly legitimate that people might hate it for perfectly reasonable reasons, but there are lots of complaints have been about black people being in it.  Wait till they find out about Orcs….

For me, there’s absolutely no way you could form any worthwhile opinion form what’s been released so far, they’ve keep ot as tight as a gnat’s chuff
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2022, 09:33:19 pm »
How many times is this going to get raised each time black actors get used? It's pathetic to be honest.  ::)  I just looked at the trailer all the comments are in Russian, has Putin taken over youtube?

They think it's justified here because Tolkein's work is reminiscent of North European mythology and there's this idea that he was trying to create a mythology for England. But it's still an entirely fictional world.

Seen some people argue it's equivalent to having white actors in Black Panther. But BP is set in the real world and although Wakanda is a fictional country, Africa is real and a completely isolated country in Africa would not have many white people living there. Also, and here's the key thing - if they did cast a white actor in BP, I guarantee they would not be reacting in this hysterical over the top way.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2022, 09:46:23 pm »

Some fans will not like the idea of any live action adaptation or will not trust that they'll get it right; some will not be impressed with the trailer. Nothing wrong with that. But there was a flood of people condemning it when that very first teaser came out which showed us nothing of the actual show. It was already woke / SJW propaganda, and they'd already decided before they saw the trailer that it would be a disaster, and now it's out they're basically saying it's evil, they hate the fans, they're destroying Tolkein's work, they're destroying European culture... it's ridiculous and way out of proportion to what we've actually seen. And some of it is veering uncomfortably close to white supremacist ideas.

It seems to be more extreme than the reaction of Star Wars fans to having non-white / female characters, it seems to be really quite ideological. And from a brief unscientific look at some of those YouTube videos, it's mostly white American dudes with beards and baseball caps. They're apparently concerned about the destruction of 'European culture'.