Author Topic: Detectorists BBC Four sitcom  (Read 35805 times)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
Re: Detectorists BBC Four sitcom
« Reply #40 on: November 6, 2014, 03:06:15 pm »
just watched episode 5.  credit to crook's writing, acting and direction that i found it more moving than many dramas i've seen recently.

the simon and garfunkel running gag is fantastic too.

Spoiler
"how did you know his name was phil?"
"i thought it was art."
"why art?"

and

"they're packing up. homeward bound."
*fist bump*

:lmao
[close]

love the song over the credits too.  very simon and garfunkel, appropriately enough.

it's a real treat, but i sort of hope they leave it at one gem of a series, although it's easy to see where a second would go.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #41 on: November 6, 2014, 04:58:11 pm »
just watched episode 5.  credit to crook's writing, acting and direction that i found it more moving than many dramas i've seen recently.

the simon and garfunkel running gag is fantastic too.

Spoiler
"how did you know his name was phil?"
"i thought it was art."
"why art?"

and

"they're packing up. homeward bound."
*fist bump*

:lmao
[close]

love the song over the credits too.  very simon and garfunkel, appropriately enough.

it's a real treat, but i sort of hope they leave it at one gem of a series, although it's easy to see where a second would go.

You probably saw but the guy who performed at the open mike night before they went on was Johnny Flynn, who performs the title song.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #42 on: November 6, 2014, 05:19:57 pm »
Whoever is the sound editor or sound man, deserves a BAFTA - Its tone, its resonance and the feel that is given to the series is utterly brilliant.

The writings not to shabby either....
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 6, 2014, 05:57:08 pm »
You probably saw but the guy who performed at the open mike night before they went on was Johnny Flynn, who performs the title song.

yeah, that was a nice little touch - could easily have come across as twee and 'meta' and knowing but actually fitted in really well. 

is he famous?  i've never heard of him before.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #44 on: November 6, 2014, 10:34:31 pm »
The Ship!

Brilliant stuff.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #45 on: November 6, 2014, 10:38:51 pm »
The ending was slightly frustrating, but I get that it was emblematic of the whole idea of being a detectorist.

Real gem of a series though, comedy but with proper emotional resonance and depth.

Glad its coming back next year.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #46 on: November 6, 2014, 10:42:47 pm »
Another series! Nice.

Great last episode.

Offline Trotterwatch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: November 6, 2014, 10:44:10 pm »
Didn't know it had been renewed until the end, fantastic news.  Very impressed with this series.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #48 on: November 6, 2014, 10:48:53 pm »
I think we all found a bit of gold here.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 6, 2014, 10:49:28 pm »
The ending was slightly frustrating, but I get that it was emblematic of the whole idea of being a detectorist.

Real gem of a series though, comedy but with proper emotional resonance and depth.

Glad its coming back next year.

What did you find frustrating? I thought it was spot on.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #50 on: November 6, 2014, 10:58:01 pm »
What did you find frustrating? I thought it was spot on.
Just that we saw it was all there and Lance had stopped digging. As I say though, that's the thing with being a detectorist, its all always just there waiting for them to find it and dig deep enough.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #51 on: November 6, 2014, 11:12:15 pm »
Imagined that ending, right before it actually happened. Never done that before!
Probably not the only one either, as it just seemed inevitable and appropriate.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 7, 2014, 12:03:39 am »
Just that we saw it was all there and Lance had stopped digging. As I say though, that's the thing with being a detectorist, its all always just there waiting for them to find it and dig deep enough.

It wasn't late Only Fools and Horses...it was better than that. Lance said it in the previous episode. It's not about finding gold, it's about finding ring pulls and talking bollocks.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #53 on: November 7, 2014, 12:09:09 am »
It wasn't late Only Fools and Horses...it was better than that. Lance said it in the previous episode. It's not about finding gold, it's about finding ring pulls and talking bollocks.
I'd just rather not have known how close he was to finding it, it fitted though, it worked, just me.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 7, 2014, 12:22:29 am »
I'd just rather not have known how close he was to finding it, it fitted though, it worked, just me.

I know - great show though.

*edit - thinking back - I was hoping they didn't find it. There was something idyllic about Lance and Andy talking bollocks and finding ring pulls - knowing that they would keep on doing it as long as they don't find the burial.

Did you see the outline of the ship in the grass? Or was that just me?
« Last Edit: November 7, 2014, 12:25:28 am by Alan_F »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #55 on: November 7, 2014, 12:30:30 am »

*edit - thinking back - I was hoping they didn't find it. There was something idyllic about Lance and Andy talking bollocks and finding ring pulls - knowing that they would keep on doing it as long as they don't find the burial.

Yes. You good. I think it was deliberate - mining the theme that they could have seen it, if only they looked up.

If they had found anything, it would have killed the next series.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #56 on: November 7, 2014, 09:40:59 am »
Brilliant series one of my highlights of the week.

It's Morphing time

Detectorists to return for second series on BBC Four in 2015

Detectorists, the BBC’s latest hit comedy which ended its first run on BBC Four last night, has been recommissioned for a second series.

Written, directed by and starring Mackenzie Crook, and co-starring Toby Jones, the series has been critically acclaimed and gained BBC Four's highest ever viewing figures for a new comedy.

The story follows the relationship between two friends who share a passion for metal detecting. When Andy (Mackenzie Crook) and Lance (Toby Jones) are together, they’re like an old married couple. They gripe at each other, but there is a true bond underneath it all. Each has his own slightly dysfunctional life but together they dream of finding a priceless Saxon hoard that will cement their place in detecting history.

Alongside Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones, series one featured Rachael Stirling (Tipping The Velvet, The Bletchley Circle), Aimee-Ffion Edwards (Being Human, Luther) and Lucy Benjamin (EastEnders, Casualty).

Mackenzie says: “I couldn't be happier with how Detectorists has gone down and the response it has got from audiences. The opportunity to meet these characters again and tell some more of their stories is very exciting.”

Shane Allen, Controller, Comedy Commissioning, says: “We’re proud that Mackenzie’s labour of love has connected so deeply with the BBC Four audience, who have taken these characters to heart. It couldn’t happen to a nicer, more multi-talented and harder working person.”

Cassian Harrison, Channel Editor, BBC Four says: “I’m so pleased that we’re going to be able to bring the Detectorists back - it was a perfect slice of BBC Four comedy, beautifully written and observed, wry and movingly performed, with real depth to its entrancing world.”

Detectorists is produced by Channel X North and Lola Entertainment. Detectorists series two (6x30’) is commissioned by Shane Allen, Controller, Comedy Commissioning and Cassian Harrison, Channel Editor, BBC Four. Executive Producers are Alan Marke, Jim Reid (Channel X North) and Jonno Richards, Lisa Thomas (Lola Entertainment).Producer is Adam Tandy. BBC commissioning executive is Kristian Smith.

Press appreciation for Detectorists:

“One of the best new sitcoms of the year” The Independent

“Fields of mud filled with comedy gold” Sunday Telegraph

“Beautifully acted and written, Detectorists is a rare treasure” The Times

"Observant, honest and very funny” Daily Telegraph

“Detectorists has been a joy” Sunday Times

“This new sitcom, written and directed by Mackenzie Crook, is brilliantly - and gently - hilarious” Daily Mirror

“Sweet, clever and rich in well observed detail” Daily Express

“An astute script, sublime acting and deft characterisation” Daily Telegraph

“Mackenzie Crook wrote and directed this series… and he should be proud, it’s an understated triumph” The Independent

“This has a charming folksy feel and its laughs are subtle but sweet…..it is a lovely surprise like expecting to dig up a tin can but finding a Saxon hoard” Sunday Times Culture

“Mackenzie Crook strikes gold” Daily Express

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/detectorists-2015
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #57 on: November 7, 2014, 11:01:24 am »
The DMDC open day was ace.

'Shrapnel' table was my personal fave, though 'Ring-pulls through the ages' and ethnic face painting could of pinched it.

Notable mentions to - The sand pit, opening the door and deciding to charge for the Tea and Coffee.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #58 on: November 7, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »

Is right. Thoroughly entertaining and beautifully acted and written. Will miss it, it's been a real treat.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 7, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »
Yep, an excellent sitcom, enjoyed it thoroughly. Happy there's a second series coming as well.

Interview with Mackenzie Crook here:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/mackenzie-crook/32838/mackenzie-crook-interview-game-of-thrones-the-detectorists-pirates-5
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Trotterwatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 7, 2014, 11:54:11 pm »
'Recollections of a collections collector', I laughed so hard at this.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 8, 2014, 05:28:26 am »

aaargh, mind blown.  didn't spot that at the time - too busy enjoying the music.

i agree that the ending was frustrating, but in a good way, in the way that it's meant to ram home just how frustrating it must be to not be able to tell the difference between a ring pull and a fortune in treasure.  for me it was the same sort of "gah!" moment as when a last-minute header to win the game flashes past the post - we've still got a point, but it could have been so much more...

but overall, just a brilliant series.  that last episode alone made me cry twice, and it was meant to be a comedy :) and definitely the best marriage proposal i've seen on screen in a while.

didn't know it had been renewed until i came on here just now.  contrary to what i said last week, i'm delighted to hear the news :)

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »

Think that's the essence of the show. Like going the match isn't just about the 90 minutes on the pitch. It's about the build up in the pub, the talking shite both before and after the game. It's about how we fill those empty hours of leisure, an escape from work, family etc. Perhaps even that the hobby (whatever it may be) is a welcome distraction from some aspects of life. But ultimately, the hobby for Lance & Andy is vehicle for their friendship. Loved the way it hinted at so much other stuff, Lance's relationship with Maggie and the lottery win etc.

Thought the ending was just right. Really excellent series, with more going on than you'd expect from a run of the mill sitcom. 

And Bishop's invisible dogs disappearing without trace... :lmao
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:31:01 pm by saoirse08 »
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 07:24:21 pm »
just thought i'd add this to the thread as i've been listening non-stop most of the day:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q58Gm18-IMY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q58Gm18-IMY</a>

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2014, 10:25:53 am »
Just caught up with this on iplayer thanks to reading this thread. Best thing I've seen in a long time, and even more impressive as a directing/writing debut for Mackenzie Crook. So much going on, but very subtle. Gentle but a hint of darkness as well.

I'm torn on the second series. I want to see more but the story arc was so perfect and self-contained, I'm not sure where it can go. It could have easily been a stand alone film, and a very good one. But on this evidence I'm sure that Crook has it figured out, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I hope it gets a repeat on BBC2 next year before the second series.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2014, 10:59:17 am »
I hope he goes for the Gervais formula - 2 series and a Xmas special to tie everything up. It feels about right.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 3, 2015, 11:42:56 am »
Bit late, but they started filming season 2 in July. 6 episodes and a one of Christmas special.

http://insidemediatrack.com/2015/07/detectorists-series-2-begins-filming/

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #67 on: September 3, 2015, 11:44:45 am »
They better find that bloody treasure this time or I'll hurt someone.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #68 on: September 3, 2015, 12:27:38 pm »
Great news!

Agree, I know one of the themes is doing it just for the fun of doing it (the quintessential English boring hobby) and friendship etc. but if there are no plans for any further episodes it would be a nice way to finish the series.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2015, 06:50:20 pm »
Back 29th October :wave

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2015, 06:58:27 pm »
Niiice.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »
Back 29th October :wave

I was hoping someone was going to give a start date.

Can't wait.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2015, 07:03:11 pm »
Bit late, but they started filming season 2 in July. 6 episodes and a one of Christmas special.

http://insidemediatrack.com/2015/07/detectorists-series-2-begins-filming/

Book marked that site haven't seen it before.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A7NCQ-k-3S0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A7NCQ-k-3S0</a>

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2015, 12:44:46 pm »
I was hoping someone was going to give a start date.

Can't wait.
Same here. Great trailer for it ;D

Just a good honest show.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2015, 01:53:52 pm »
Book marked that site haven't seen it before.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A7NCQ-k-3S0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A7NCQ-k-3S0</a>

Brilliant!  ;D
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2015, 02:01:21 pm »
I caught this on iplayer recently (the first series) on your recommendations. I really enjoyed it.

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »
Hope simon and garfunkel make a reappearance.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »
Hope simon and garfunkel make a reappearance.

They are in the trailer for season 2.

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2015, 08:45:44 pm »
They are in the trailer for season 2.

Just watched it,thanks!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2015, 08:41:21 am »
I would love the first series to get a re-run on BBC 1 to good to be hidden away on BBC4 even if its done really well on that station.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ITMaQ2uns-I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ITMaQ2uns-I</a>