Author Topic: Happy Valley  (Read 21740 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Happy Valley
« Reply #120 on: March 9, 2016, 06:27:45 pm »
I saw her in Little Shop of Horrors at the Oldham Colliseum in the early 90s. Never thought she'd be this good. :D

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #121 on: March 9, 2016, 08:56:22 pm »
I thought you'd be in the 'Spoons! 

Did most of the pubs down there last Friday!

Can't wait for the last episode, plenty of stories to tie up.
@JonnYNWA

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #122 on: March 9, 2016, 09:00:01 pm »
A bit like War and Peace when the BBC gets its Dramas right nobody is better than them, this is stunningly brilliant, Sarah Lancashire is also very good in Last Tango in Bradford in a very different type of role.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #123 on: March 9, 2016, 09:17:35 pm »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:09 am »
A bit like War and Peace when the BBC gets its Dramas right nobody is better than them, this is stunningly brilliant, Sarah Lancashire is also very good in Last Tango in Bradford in a very different type of role.

Woaahhhhhhh!  Last Tango in Halifax.  Bradford's a shit hole!  ;)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »
Cannot wait for the finale. Once again a top performance from SL.

Spoiler
Good scene where Ryan had the talk with his uncle about his mum. They connected well the discovery of who's putting words into the little lad's mouth.

Last scene dramatic but a bit much you reckon? Not for its violence although they showed just blood from distance but for the action itself? Understand the reasons she did it(wouldn't last in prison, only "salvation" for him etc.) but still a tiny bit OTT without ruining the plot though
[close]

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:03:54 pm by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2016, 01:00:46 pm »
Cannot wait for the finale. Once again a top performance from SL.

Spoiler
Good scene where Ryan had the talk with his uncle about his mum. They connected well the discovery of who's putting words into the little lad's mouth.

Last scene dramatic but a bit much you reckon? Not for its violence although they showed just blood from distance but for the action itself? Understand the reasons she did it(wouldn't last in prison, only "salvation" for him etc.) but still a tiny bit OTT without ruining the plot though
[close]
Sorry don't know how to do spoilers.
Spoiler
It's not the fact she shot her son through the head for me it's the fact she hasn't shot her self yet., shes given it a lot of thought to the whole situation. hes already gone to bits, headaches etc. shes looked at any possibility of covering up for him 1001 things to think about and his DNA is the clincher. he knows hes going to prison and she tells him he wont like it there. she believes he wont be able to handle it and every day will be a nightmare. the lad is so off his head he thinks there going to Disney land.not saying it was obvious of course just understandable considering his Mother was distraught. the only thing I would of added was in these sort of situations there usually a double shooting, Mother shoots him and then shoots herself.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:35:03 pm by Alan_X »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2016, 01:02:28 pm »
Sorry don't know how to do spoilers.

[#spoiler]
[#/spoiler]

Remove the #'s

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2016, 01:31:36 pm »
[#spoiler]
[#/spoiler]

Remove the #'s
Where is the spoiler icon Titi, can only see insert code and that didn't work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:38:04 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2016, 01:40:28 pm »
For me Stratford Johns as Barlow, James Gandolfini as Tony S, Ian McShane as Al S, Dean Norris as Hank Schrader each became unmissable in their respective screen roles/characters. I was enthralled, nay, mesmerised as much if not more by them than the amazing shows in which they appeared. For me Sarah Lancashire as Catherine has now attained the same sort of level in Happy Valley. So good it makes me drool as I watch her intuitive genius in each scene she appears.

Acting at a level beyond any rational criterion.

;D 

it's not often i agree with a troll, but spot on :) i literally can't take my eyes off the screen when she's on it, and the way she constantly bubbles just under exploding with rage at someone (whether a scrote or someone she loves) is mesmeric.  as i said a few episodes back, granny weatherwax doing vimes's job...

as for the episode...
Spoiler
is the mystery solved for the viewer now?  the farm kid who confessed seems quite unhinged, and i wonder if his confession might be a product of delusion.  can't be much time for a twist like that though.

annoyingly, i had the ending of the episode spoiled for me by a google search for something unrelated, which threw up the question "did the mum turn the gun on herself straight after?"  i reckon she's more likely to dispose of the body on her land and just claim he ran away if anyone comes knocking. it's not like she'd need to act to summon up convincing tears...

and it looks likely the break in the vicky fleming case will come when neil - having already humilated himself in front of the police - does the right thing and confesses how he knew her.  how they then make the link to the detective is harder to fathom.  i wonder if electronic searches might reveal the actual photos.  but i can also envisage a far bleaker ending, where someone on the inside just gets away with it.

"effortlessly overwhelming charisma" :lmao
[close]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:50:26 pm by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »
Where is the spoiler icon Titi, can only see insert code and that didn't work.
There is no icon, you don't need one....

[#spoiler]
[#/spoiler]

...literally just copy and paste that but remove the #'s, then put your text in the centre. Simple as that buddy :wave

EDIT: Try quoting someone who's already "spoilered" their post and you should be able to see what I mean ;)

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2016, 02:21:45 pm »

it's not often i agree with a troll, but spot on :) i literally can't take my eyes off the screen when she's on it, and the way she constantly bubbles just under exploding with rage at someone (whether a scrote or someone she loves) is mesmeric.  as i said a few episodes back, granny weatherwax doing vimes's job...

as for the episode...
Spoiler
is the mystery solved for the viewer now? the farm kid who confessed seems quite unhinged, and i wonder if his confession might be a product of delusion.  can't be much time for a twist like that though.

annoyingly, i had the ending of the episode spoiled for me by a google search for something unrelated, which threw up the question "did the mum turn the gun on herself straight after?"  i reckon she's more likely to dispose of the body on her land and just claim he ran away if anyone comes knocking. it's not like she'd need to act to summon up convincing tears...

and it looks likely the break in the vicky fleming case will come when neil - having already humilated himself in front of the police - does the right thing and confesses how he knew her.  how they then make the link to the detective is harder to fathom.  i wonder if electronic searches might reveal the actual photos.  but i can also envisage a far bleaker ending, where someone on the inside just gets away with it.

[close]

Spoiler
Now that would be a fantastic twist to the plot, his DNA doesn't match or something.
The police are now checking all garages for red car that's been involved in a crash.
So the cop killer will be under investigation for the wrong reasons but when the police dig deeper surely they will find she phoned him far more than he let on.
[close]
               Emily Maitlis

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2016, 02:23:50 pm »
There is no icon, you don't need one....

[#spoiler]
[#/spoiler]

...literally just copy and paste that but remove the #'s, then put your text in the centre. Simple as that buddy :wave

EDIT: Try quoting someone who's already "spoilered" their post and you should be able to see what I mean ;)
Ta Tita. no idea how it works but it does.  :)
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2016, 10:10:01 am »

as for the episode...

Ha ha - great minds or deluded sentimental fools?

;D

Spoiler
is the mystery solved for the viewer now?  the farm kid who confessed seems quite unhinged, and i wonder if his confession might be a product of delusion.  can't be much time for a twist like that though.

[close]

Bleedinell!

:)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2016, 08:40:49 pm »
looks like it may well be returning for a third series :D

be aware article contains possible spoilers (maybe from the finale trailer i've tried hard to avoid seeing) and also mentions of the scum rag: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/happy-valley-returning-series-3-7538580
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:42:41 pm by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2016, 09:33:27 pm »
Is this available to stream anywhere? Had a look on iplayer but series 1 doesnt seem to be on there.

Edit: Just found it on the American netflix as a 'netflix original'
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:10:30 pm by 'Mondzz' »
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2016, 09:14:36 pm »
Haha his face then!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2016, 09:29:14 pm »
Haha his face then!

Molsley or the farm boy with his brains blown out?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2016, 10:01:38 pm »
What an episode to cap off the series.

Excellent, exceed TV!

And Mosley of course lol

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2016, 10:01:38 pm »
And the BAFTA goes to Sarah Lancashire

stunning last episode and a flawless performance from Sarah
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2016, 10:05:12 pm »
Sarah Lancashire needs all the awards on the planet, and that ending was fairly fucking dark.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2016, 10:49:01 pm »
Absolute fucking quality.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:57 pm »
The look on her face as he was listing all the dangerous dog breeds and waving that stick around. Absolutely chilling.

I only want a third series if it's good as these two have been.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2016, 11:00:47 pm »
Some of those scenes were absolutely superb. Incredible. Writing/directing up there with Jimmy McGovern

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2016, 11:09:44 pm »
That was superb. Absolutely incredible.
@JonnYNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2016, 11:14:32 pm »
Love how she said "Brady, Sutcliffe.... Savile". Lumping him in with those 2 was quite brilliant.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2016, 11:46:27 pm »
Some of those scenes were absolutely superb. Incredible. Writing/directing up there with Jimmy McGovern

Totally agree. I'd throw in Bleasdale's Blackstuff too - the humour vying with grim pathos for poll position takes your breath away.

Spoiler
The entire chase scene so well crafted, both painfully funny and desperately sad in equal instalments especially the role reversal. Then that final instant succumbing to the darkness. Wow.
[close]

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2016, 11:56:22 pm »
Totally agree. I'd throw in Bleasdale's Blackstuff too - the humour vying with grim pathos for poll position takes your breath away.

Spoiler
The entire chase scene so well crafted, both painfully funny and desperately sad in equal instalments especially the role reversal. Then that final instant succumbing to the darkness. Wow.
[close]

Spoiler
The "suicide intervention training" exchange had me properly giggling.
[close]

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2016, 12:00:17 am »
Spoiler
The "suicide intervention training" exchange had me properly giggling.
[close]

Was brilliant, plus ive driven under there a few times as its a rat run.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2016, 01:23:51 am »
Couldn't agree more. lot of scenes were brilliant tonight as many have said. the net closing in on the copper while he is sat in the police station. wow, everything coming out pointing to him. could feel his world collapsing.
School teacher giving her warped reasons why Tommy Lee is such a lovely guy.
What does everyone think of the writers intentions in that very last scene when Catherine is staring at her grandson running round the field.  thought it was her thinking if she would ever be driven to do serious harm to him with him being Tommy Lees son and the reason for her daughters suicide.
Brilliant little twist at the end, Tommy Lees son writing to him without telling anyone.
Just hope theres another series.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2016, 09:19:55 am »
Couldn't agree more. lot of scenes were brilliant tonight as many have said. the net closing in on the copper while he is sat in the police station. wow, everything coming out pointing to him. could feel his world collapsing.
School teacher giving her warped reasons why Tommy Lee is such a lovely guy.
What does everyone think of the writers intentions in that very last scene when Catherine is staring at her grandson running round the field.  thought it was her thinking if she would ever be driven to do serious harm to him with him being Tommy Lees son and the reason for her daughters suicide.
Brilliant little twist at the end, Tommy Lees son writing to him without telling anyone.
Just hope theres another series.
Spoiler
The last scene for me was more about her wondering if the lad could end up like farmer boy, born of abusive circumstances, brought up as best as possible in the dark as to his true heritage, listing his dream list of dogs, which were all pretty much the strong, macho type dog, could he be a psycho in the making...
[close]
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2016, 10:35:32 am »
Season 3 - Nature vs. Nurture ;)

It would actually be good if they could somehow have a gap of 10 years or so, when the kid is starting to become a man and possibly his dad getting out somehow?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2016, 11:26:35 am »
Loved the scenes with the net closing in around the Detective and then his meltdown in the Tesco car park. He certainly picked the wrong woman to have an affair with!

Fancy Alan from the Phoenix Club house band shagging Hayley Cropper though. Never saw that coming.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2016, 11:35:59 am »
Loved the scenes with the net closing in around the Detective and then his meltdown in the Tesco car park. He certainly picked the wrong woman to have an affair with!

Fancy Alan from the Phoenix Club house band shagging Hayley Cropper though. Never saw that coming.

Come and get yer black bin bags

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:54 am »
Come and get yer black bin bags

Long and thin and slender?

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42:05 am »
Long and thin and slender?

No matter what your gender.

When he set off in his car and drove towards the train station I was screaming "It's a dead end mate!"
@JonnYNWA

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2016, 12:15:53 pm »
Spoiler
The last scene for me was more about her wondering if the lad could end up like farmer boy, born of abusive circumstances, brought up as best as possible in the dark as to his true heritage, listing his dream list of dogs, which were all pretty much the strong, macho type dog, could he be a psycho in the making...
[close]
Yeah i agree, that what i was thinking. it was brilliant writing as it raised so much in just one little scene
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2016, 12:22:26 pm »
Nice one. Baffled me why they met in Wills O Nats when he was being bribed/drugged. It's a right trek from Hebden/Sowerby to get over there! Especially when she lived in Ripponden!

Aye, they said it was in Slaithwaite (Slowit) tonight as well, when everybody knows it's in Meltham - just behind Meltham Cop in fact.

Brilliant series. Lancashire (silly name) is fab. The writing is wonderful. The tension was ever-present without ever being showy or 'spectacular'. 

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2016, 12:22:43 pm »
Season 3 - Nature vs. Nurture ;)

It would actually be good if they could somehow have a gap of 10 years or so, when the kid is starting to become a man and possibly his dad getting out somehow?
Ahh don't give the writers an excuse not to write another series for 10 yrs Titi :)
I know what you mean though but a bit too long to wait. no reason why he cant start getting into trouble as a youngster, rebelling or something.

Emily Maitlis

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »

How many writers would have wrote that scene. obvious now it's wrote but i doubt if many would have gone that deep. incredible, thought he was talking about the net closing round him at first and his inevitable arrest, when he started shouting ive not done anything, said to myself, what you killed her you nutter. then realized he was referring to Tracy and why she chose him to set up.
               Emily Maitlis