Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 628093 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.
« Reply #7680 on: November 30, 2022, 10:37:41 am »
Watched this last night, it was shite.

It was practically meant to be, wasn't it? it was meant to be stupid
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7681 on: November 30, 2022, 10:42:11 am »
I hope they have enough weirder aspects now accepted to really go full in with proper Doom (not electric dude or standard evil Russian), without introducing the bad stuff (quips mainly). In fact I hope he instantly snaps a dudes neck for joking about in his presence.

I would give him a standalone movie and base it on Books of Doom, that comic about his life as a gypsy and his rise to power.  Then you introduce him into the wider universe.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7682 on: November 30, 2022, 10:54:48 am »
It was practically meant to be, wasn't it? it was meant to be stupid

It was but this went beyond stupid.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7683 on: November 30, 2022, 08:34:53 pm »
Like at this point the main things I am hanging out for are X-Men, and the villains of Fantastic Four (Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer) I'm not even bothered by the Four themselves but I fucking love Doom

Black Panther 2 I think is also the first time I heard the word "Mutant" said in the MCU which feels significant.

"Mutant" also got a brief mention in Ms Marvel, complete with a nod to the cartoon theme tune.

Spoiler
I enjoyed BP2 for the most part, even though I've walked out of both now thinking more about all of the little negative things, rather than the positives.

I was wondering how they were going to handle the fact that Shuri has never been a fighter, only to find they just ignored it and she was magically brilliant at it after drinking the flower. I was hoping they'd find a way to make it M'baku or Nakia instead but the people behind it seem determined to do things a certain way, regardless of how much sense it makes. I still find it jarring how these super advanced nations both fight largely with spears and stuff with no explanation.

The fight choreography wasn't great either, especially the fighting on the side of that weird Wakandan boat that looked like it could topple over at any moment.

Is there anything those beads can't do?
[close]
« Last Edit: December 1, 2022, 12:13:22 am by Schmidt »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7684 on: November 30, 2022, 09:38:16 pm »
There are spoiler tags for a reason  ;D
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7685 on: December 1, 2022, 12:14:07 am »
There are spoiler tags for a reason  ;D

I know but it's been out for weeks so I figured it's fair game to go without now. I've edited the post regardless.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7686 on: December 1, 2022, 01:26:56 pm »
The actor who plays Ms. Marvels dad in the tv show has been accused of grooming and sending pictures to a minor the sick fuck.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7687 on: December 1, 2022, 10:27:19 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u3V5KDHRQvk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u3V5KDHRQvk</a>

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #7688 on: December 2, 2022, 08:36:34 am »
That trailer is pretty great. Maybe should have left Gamora out but it looks like it’s got its usual blend of comedy and action, but maybe actually a bit darker for once.

I think that outside of the brevity and lightness, Guardians has produced two of the better one off villains the MCU’s done - Ronan the Accuser and Ego - and there were some really dark moments with both. They should hopefully lean into that.

The next phase needs to be a bit more serious for me, closer to the tone of the first phase, because certainly Love and Thunder took it way too far with the jokes and the whole last phase for me was underwhelming.

On BP2, I agree with Schmidt.

Spoiler
For all of Shuri’s genius and innovation, she’s no warrior. No trained fighter. Her gadgets were her defence. All of a sudden she can best Namor? Not having it. T’Challa and Killmonger were soldiers and killers. Shuri felt forced, there was a redemption arc in there for her without needing to make her the Panther. A big statement would be to have had no Black Panther at all in the movie. I guess Disney would never have signed off on that. The movie was no better, in fact worse, for the 30 minutes of its nearly three hour run time in which there was Black Panther presence on screen.
[close]
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #7689 on: December 2, 2022, 09:19:59 am »
Lee Pace is great as Ronan. He is very good in Foundation as well. He has a certain way of delivering twisted monologues

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7690 on: December 8, 2022, 04:59:25 am »
justs rewatched Iron Man as i was in a marvel mood and rewatching anything recent didn't excite me at all

fuck me, what a great movie and when i think of the lead players at the start with stark, capt america, thor (before he was an absolute joke) and ruffalo's hulk, what the fuck do we have now as main contenders - not a lot with thor thrown away for light relief and fuck knows what they're doing with the hulk and replacements for the other two are totally underwhelming to put it as nicely as i can

i haven't seen black panther II yet so i'll comment on phase four after that but... yeah, one movie aint gonna save it no matter how good it might be

oh and a sidenote, Terrence Howard was totally the much better actor for that role, pity how that turned out cos i find Don Cheadle instantly forgettable and doesn't really bring anything to the movies that character is in
« Last Edit: December 8, 2022, 05:32:10 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7691 on: December 13, 2022, 05:48:25 pm »
Trailer for the Spider-verse sequel has been released

https://youtu.be/cqGjhVJWtEg
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7692 on: January 9, 2023, 09:59:18 pm »
Only just heard that Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) was completely crushed under a 7 ton snow plough on New Year's Day. He's alive, thankfully, but in a pretty fucked up condition, as one would expect.

Wishing him a speedy recovery!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7693 on: January 9, 2023, 11:07:35 pm »
Only just heard that Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) was completely crushed under a 7 ton snow plough on New Year's Day. He's alive, thankfully, but in a pretty fucked up condition, as one would expect.

Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Yeah when you see the vehicle that's crushed him it seems like a miracle that he survived

New trailer out for Quantumania in a few hours.

Feel like an idiot only realising in the last few days Quantumania has the words Ant Man within it.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7694 on: January 10, 2023, 07:24:21 pm »
State of Modok, they literally just stretched and pasted that's actors face. :lmao

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7695 on: January 10, 2023, 07:50:06 pm »
State of Modok, they literally just stretched and pasted that's actors face. :lmao

They did a better job in the MODOK Disney cartoon than they did there

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7696 on: January 10, 2023, 09:46:14 pm »

So it’s Corey Stoll? Darren Cross from the first one? I’m pretty fed up with them now, seems pointless with all this multiverse rubbish.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7697 on: January 11, 2023, 10:45:50 am »
I'm so behind on MCU stuff (kinda lost motivation) so only now watching Ms Marvel. I know it's aimed at younger people, but I'm quite enjoying it. He mum is brilliant - reminds me of a friend's mum (she came here from Pakistan in the 70's).

Do I need to watch She-Hulk for continuity reasons? I'm viewing watching it as a chore.

Thor: LaT is next up.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7698 on: January 11, 2023, 11:38:05 am »
I'm so behind on MCU stuff (kinda lost motivation) so only now watching Ms Marvel. I know it's aimed at younger people, but I'm quite enjoying it. He mum is brilliant - reminds me of a friend's mum (she came here from Pakistan in the 70's).

Do I need to watch She-Hulk for continuity reasons? I'm viewing watching it as a chore.

She Hulk has one tiny thing at the end that might come up again going forward, but that's all I can think of. I'll spoiler it below in case you want to skip the rest.

Spoiler
Hulk now has a son who is also a hulk.
[close]

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7699 on: January 11, 2023, 11:46:24 am »
You should probably just not watch She-Hulk cos it was properly rubbish, and annoying.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7700 on: January 11, 2023, 11:48:03 am »
You should probably just not watch She-Hulk cos it was properly rubbish, and annoying.

This.

Hope the new Ant-Man is good.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7701 on: January 11, 2023, 11:53:04 am »

It's skippable, but it is silly fun. Don't listen to the joyless internet.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7702 on: January 11, 2023, 12:10:15 pm »
So it’s Corey Stoll? Darren Cross from the first one? I’m pretty fed up with them now, seems pointless with all this multiverse rubbish.

I can't quite remember but didn't he get shrunk down to oblivion in the first one. Maybe from that he turned into MODOK.

Or if they are just casting actors in different roles, hey maybe we get Karl Urban as Wolverine which is OK with me

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7703 on: January 11, 2023, 01:11:54 pm »

Brace yourself..

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7704 on: January 11, 2023, 03:32:32 pm »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7705 on: January 11, 2023, 03:33:15 pm »
Haha Modok looks like the Gamesmaster.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7706 on: January 11, 2023, 03:39:52 pm »
It's skippable, but it is silly fun. Don't listen to the joyless internet.

There is joyless and then there is enjoying any old shite  ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7707 on: January 11, 2023, 04:30:59 pm »
Haha Modok looks like the Gamesmaster.

:wellin :lmao

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7708 on: January 11, 2023, 04:32:31 pm »
To be fair, its a tough character to make work in live action.....but yeah, amazingly bad!

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7709 on: January 11, 2023, 06:44:16 pm »
They should've used the stop motion model and had Patton Oswalt voice him.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7710 on: January 12, 2023, 01:06:41 am »
they've been reporting on re-shoots as late as last week for antman (some say they've been doing them for weeks) - and being this late on aren't the normal 'booked in' reshoots of marvel films

apparently the original cut screened really well, with those privy to it saying it's the best marvel film for years

that wont be what we get to see, interference from above is the industry 'inside' take on the reason for the reshoots in that it was too sombre and lacking that marvel 'humour' - fuck me, fuck me, fuck me, if that is the case - and those at the top wanted reshoots to give it more light relief and fit into the marvel mode

the latest trailer is really sombre, there's not a lighthearted moment in it, which in itself is unusual (and fucking welcome imo), which kinda back up the inside take on the sombre nature of the movie

it's still meant to be good but not as good as the original cut

Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7711 on: January 16, 2023, 02:49:23 pm »
Finished Ms Marvel and loved it.

Probably put it No3 in the MCU TV shows:

1) WandaVision
2) Moon Knight
3) Ms Marvel
4) Loki
5=) Hawkeye
5=) Falcon & Winter Soldier
6) What If

Not bothered with She Hulk.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #7712 on: January 18, 2023, 08:42:08 am »
She-hulk is worth it overall I think - it has some nice ties to other productions, sets some stuff up, generally is easy watching.

If you expect it to be on the scale of WandaVision you will be disappointed but for something to watch and for its connections to future Marvel stuff it is perfectly entertaining

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7713 on: January 18, 2023, 11:26:34 am »
She-hulk is worth it overall I think - it has some nice ties to other productions, sets some stuff up, generally is easy watching.

If you expect it to be on the scale of WandaVision you will be disappointed but for something to watch and for its connections to future Marvel stuff it is perfectly entertaining

She-Hulk was great but that final episode is one of the worst things I've ever seen and almost ruined it for me

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #7714 on: January 19, 2023, 04:20:20 pm »
She-Hulk was great but that final episode is one of the worst things I've ever seen and almost ruined it for me

See, I loved the final episode for how ridiculous and fuck the 4th wall it was!

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7715 on: January 28, 2023, 11:04:08 pm »
Watched Thor tonight for the first time in years, didn't like it at the time. But compared with some of the recent ones, it is good. It doesn't get too complicated like they do now. Not too much humour either.

Think l might revisit the second one again soon,with a bit of trepidation.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7716 on: February 1, 2023, 02:13:36 pm »
Wakanda Forever on Disney+ from today.

Spoiler
Another huge disappointment for me. Was left thinking they probably should have just scrapped this after Boseman's death and waited longer to either reboot/recast/rethink it. It's overlong, got far too many things going on (seriously felt like I was watching a Black Panther film with a few back door pilots thrown in) and Letitia Wright just isn't a star capable of carrying a franchise. In fact I think she's pretty bad in this film.

The tributes were done really well, Angela Bassett was fantastic and THAT cameo stole the film, but yeah, aside from that a real let down.
[close]

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7717 on: February 1, 2023, 02:54:11 pm »
finally got to see Wakanda Forever and boy, was that that an utter mess.

I know losing a charismatic lead that carried the first movie (which i liked) and anything wakandan that was good put them in a difficult position with re-writes etc but that doesn't excuse what they ended up with. personally i think they'd done better recasting the role. the only thing i liked in the whole thing was the very final montage, which was moving and showed the stark contrast between what was lost and what replaced it. Literally seconds of a montage carried more weight than the whole fucking movie (and i dont mean cos of his death but because of his presence, a genuine character with presence, something the movie never had). Yes, Angela Bassett was great (she always is) but that's not a character of presence to carry a movie, which it sorely needed.

was a fitting end i guess to phase 4 which was garbage and it's aging worse across the board. The only exception is the Spiderman movie, which was good and gets better with age. Other than that in phase 4 the only merit i can find is a great costume in Moon Knight and the first half of Wandavision (before it fell apart when the real world kicked in).

however, they have greater problems than a shite phase as i see it. I've recently watched Dr Strange, Reed Richards, Charles Xavier, Wanda and more die and it means... utterly nothing. It doesn't matter who fucking dies now, they just go get another one. There's no real repurcussions that matter, no consequences that really impact, oh he's dead, no worry, here comes another one.

They have to shutdown the multiverse thing quicktime or work into it some rules that brings back a sense jeopardy cos as it is, it has none. It's become a parody of itself, almost everything looks and feels the same, continual use of 'humour' that isn't funny, with characters of little substance, including their A listers with Thor a joke and hulk whatever the fuck he is now, just a great green giant of blandness.

A good start would be to get some writers in who know what the fuck they're doing and then let them do it.

Cos as i commented in the DC thread, i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments of Gunn et al. It's not superhero fatigue, it's bad movie fatigue.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2023, 03:01:29 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7718 on: February 1, 2023, 04:01:38 pm »
I wish I could say Spiderman No Way Home is aging well. It just feels like fan service dialled up to 11 and plot and character development files out the window at times.

But yeah, on the whole phase 4 is just a mess. Lots of it feels cliched and tired at this point.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7719 on: February 2, 2023, 12:24:40 pm »
funnily enough, i had a similar experience at first

on first watch i didn't like it that much (pretty sure i posted that on here) and saw it as the ultimate fan service - not necessarily a bad thing in itself but yeah, i thought they'd gone over the top and relied on it

overtime i thought back and that maybe it wasn't so bad (i think part of this was because just how bad everything else was), so anyway i watch it again and sure there are bits that are meh but actually i've come to view it as a good movie and its aging fine in my eyes

if you only saw it once, i'd say give it another go if you have time to spare and see how it sits. im not saying someone has to see it twice if they cant fucking stand it  ;D but i rewatched it more out of curiousity and saw it differently, you might, you never know