Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 - Amazing Grace  (Read 12240 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
#SHANKLY100 - Amazing Grace
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »
It was one of his favourite hymns and when Shanks was on Desert Island Discs it turned out to be one of his favourite ever songs as well. In 1972 the Scots Dragoon Guards got to number 1 with a bagpipe version of 'Amazing Grace' and for 5 consecutive weeks we all saw it on Top of the Pops. I seem to remember they'd made a film too and there was a very impressive image of the pipers playing the music as they marched across miles of desolate sand with mountains in the background.

Inevitably....

Inevitably the Kop put one-and-one together and in the middle of Liverpool's championship-winning season of 1972-73 the sounds of Amazing Grace started to peal from the massed congregations packed behind the goal. There are words to the hymn of course but the Kop needed only one word which they repeated over and over again as they swayed to their own chorus - 'Shankly'. The effect for anyone who heard it was mesmeric. If you were present at Anfield when we beat Leeds United on Easter Monday to virtually wrap up the title you will know what I mean. At 2-0 the game became a sideshow for three or four minutes as the Kopites sang the song with veneration. It must have made Shanks feel....what? Like he was being worshipped. And he was.

Eventually other clubs and other teams stole the tune and, as things always tend to happen, the speed of the song increased to the point where it became little more than a chant - over and done with in 3 or 4 seconds. The lyric, more often than not, was the incredibly inventive 'One-Nil, One-Nil etc etc' (must have been Arsenal I guess). But in those early days, when it was ours and ours alone, the Kop's version, its homage to Bill, the greatest manager in the history of football, was indeed Amazing. 

Here's the Scots Guards version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLXOWimMY8.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2013, 12:18:32 pm by The 92A »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
Re: Bill Shankly - Amazing Grace
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »
Oh that was nice, spot on.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »
Inevitably the Kop put one-and-one together and in the middle of Liverpool's championship-winning season of 1972-73 the sounds of Amazing Grace started to peal from the massed congregations packed behind the goal. There are words to the hymn of course but the Kop needed only one word which they repeated over and over again as they swayed to their own chorus - 'Shankly'. The effect for anyone who heard it was mesmeric. If you were present at Anfield when we beat Leeds United on Easter Monday to virtually wrap up the title you will know what I mean. At 2-0 the game became a sideshow for three or four minutes as the Kopites sang the song with veneration. It must have made Shanks feel....what? Like he was being worshipped. And he was.

I would like to see and hear that!

Any footage available, anywhere, anyone? :wave

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
  • We Are The Legionnaires Expect Us.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:04:44 pm »
http://youtu.be/8YUu8BMYA5I

Great footage of the 72/73 Championship, Shanks and the squad doing the lap of honour, unbelievable quality aswell.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:06:28 pm »
http://youtu.be/Uc_XSdOLFSU

Shanks doing a speech outside St George's Hall.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:11:47 pm »
http://youtu.be/8YUu8BMYA5I

Great footage of the 72/73 Championship, Shanks and the squad doing the lap of honour, unbelievable quality aswell.
Amazing clip

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 05:19:20 pm »

Michael, I have an audio-tape with the BBC's coverage of the Easter Monday Leeds match on one side and the UEFA cup final on the other side. I can easily copy that for you if you want it. I would have to listen to it all the way through to see if that particular chant is there. But I have just checked to see if the recording itself is still audible after forty years ... and it is. So just let me know if you want a copy and where to send it to, Chris

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:26:39 pm »
Great OP, Yorky. Made the hairs stand up.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »
Michael, I have an audio-tape with the BBC's coverage of the Easter Monday Leeds match on one side and the UEFA cup final on the other side. I can easily copy that for you if you want it. I would have to listen to it all the way through to see if that particular chant is there. But I have just checked to see if the recording itself is still audible after forty years ... and it is. So just let me know if you want a copy and where to send it to, Chris

whatever else happens, please make sure it is somehow uploaded somewhere we can all get hold of it! :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 05:58:50 pm »

whatever else happens, please make sure it is somehow uploaded somewhere we can all get hold of it! :)

I will gladly make a copy for anyone who wants one. I have absolutely no idea how to upload an audio-tape or part of one.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 06:07:18 pm »

There's a bit of it (audio) at the start of this doc on Shanks...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fTUWoSSKHE0?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fTUWoSSKHE0?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

it's in the Shankly on film thread I think - a thread I can't find ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:09:19 pm by Filler. »

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 06:21:38 pm »
What do you reckon the chances are of replicating this on Sunday are?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 06:41:24 pm »
What do you reckon the chances are of replicating this on Sunday are?

would be bloody lovely wouldn't it? It will be well known so it just needs starting up somewhere.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:43:34 pm »
would be bloody lovely wouldn't it? It will be well known so it just needs starting up somewhere.

Will be watching and listening here in Afganistan so do us proud!!!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »
There's a good version from the last day of the Kop against Norwich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnXzdvc1R8
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SeanPenn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »
I might be mistaken here, but during the FA-cup final against Newcastle in 74 I think the hymn was being sung for a god few minutes.... It was beautiful! Was it during the build up for Keegans second (the one Tommy Smith assisted)?
-"Matthias, Son of Deuteronomy of Gath"
-"Should I say yes?"
-"Yes"
-"Yes"

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 07:20:30 pm »
Beautiful OP

Amazing (excuse the pun) they way the KOP sang that back then,i hope it`s done similarly on sunday,nice and slow...
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 07:31:15 pm »
I might be mistaken here, but during the FA-cup final against Newcastle in 74 I think the hymn was being sung for a god few minutes.... It was beautiful! Was it during the build up for Keegans second (the one Tommy Smith assisted)?

just after the hour... think it got a few outings... worth watching from the 58th minute tho... a shot of the boot room on the bench, Frank Clarke's appeal for obstruction, the rendition of YNWA, and best of all, the pass back to Clemence from Hughes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWbF307EtXw?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mWbF307EtXw?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »
I'm sure that we sang it like this a few years back (maybe early Rafa). It was an anniversary of something or other and we got "Shankly, Shankly, Shankly, Shankly" actually sung nice and slow. It was followed by "Paisley, Paisley, Paisley, Paisley".

I can't for the life of me remember the game but it was defo in the last 10 years.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:37:50 pm »
Is there plans for everyone to be singing Amazing Grace?
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline SeanPenn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:09 pm »
just after the hour... think it got a few outings... worth watching from the 58th minute tho... a shot of the boot room on the bench, Frank Clarke's appeal for obstruction, the rendition of YNWA, and best of all, the pass back to Clemence from Hughes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWbF307EtXw?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mWbF307EtXw?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Some confidence in that pass back :). Proper songs and proper game. A red sea moving like a unit
-"Matthias, Son of Deuteronomy of Gath"
-"Should I say yes?"
-"Yes"
-"Yes"

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »
Some confidence in that pass back :).

Well he could catch it couldn't he! ;D It just always makes me giggle.

Got given the DVD of the game some years back by 'the mysterious one' (don't ask). I've seen it alot of times and just love it. The tackles from Smith and Thompson and a few from Newcastle that get waved away by the ref when now, you'd be sent off and there'd be headlines galore but here - they put out an arm and help them up. Think there's a solitary yellow card. The general air of camaraderie between the sides (on the pitch)... the dark red kit, and not the slightly wishy washy red we have now, with advertising all over it, and horrendous designs. The young Alan Kennedy playing for Newcastle... Phil Thompson walking out with Newcastle's Terry McDermott for the second half, McDermott collecting his runners up medal in the Liverpool shirt, Shanks tapping him up on the pitch after... Shanks standing alone watching the players talk among themselves on the pitch after the cup is raised. His last game. The goals (and Lindsay's disallowed goal), MacDonalds sky high shot near the end when it was 2-0... the post match interviews with them drinking milk... Shanks at his best, in a pink shirt.  The songs. The banners. Well worth watching.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:29:18 pm by Filler. »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 09:07:18 pm »
Three paragraphs of loveliness yorky mate, brilliant.

Filler's link captures it, that vid also has John Keith's contribution who has just been on Talksport with Roy Evans on the Key's & Gray Show - an absolute must listen  - you all MUST find it and listen to their brilliant tributes.

Keep them coming yorky, watching the vids in here are brilliant. I wasn't at that game without an adult, but as I got older I was - probably 73/74 season onwards. Watching them all run on the pitch reminded me how you never failed to bump in to someone you knew when you did.

royhendo

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 06:31:33 am »
Great OP, Yorky. Made the hairs stand up.

Lovely :)

It's the kind of thing that hooked my old man in the heart from a distance, this. Ta Sir. :)

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 06:51:29 am »
Brilliant , one of the classic chants from the Kop . Goosebumps
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline Dr_Evil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 08:28:26 am »

First few minutes of this programme, played in the background - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTUWoSSKHE0&list=TLYQaVQCshI9U
Holy fuck lads I got family home. My computer isn't at a hidden place in the house. They saw the penis.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 11:41:42 pm »
18.12.1999 - Coventry 2-0 - Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Bill Shankly's arrival at Anfield. A mosaic across the top of the Kop spelt the word 'SHANKS'. Below were two images of Shanks' face flanking the Cross of St Andrew.

"Some of the great names from Liverpool's past 40 years were introduced to the fans, the two Scots pipers on the pitch played Shankly's favourite hymn, Amazing Grace. On The Kop the Kopites held up 12,000 coloured cards. Barely a minute into the hymn and the Kop began singing - slowly, and almost in hushed tones, "Shankly, Shankly". I swear it was one of the most moving things I've ever heard; the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. It was difficult to hold back the tears. The cards were then hurredly put aside and the massed flags and banners were unfurled. This was the loudest, most passionate YNWA that I've heard in years. It was twice as loud and twice as stirring as the CWC semi with PSG which many rate as The Kop's greatest hour since it was seated. From my position front and centre I could see the (truly) massive 'All Around The Ground The Kop Spirit Survives' banner being passed back up over hundreds of heads. It brought a lump to the throat. The anthem continued way past it's normal end point - it was if we didn't want it to end." - From Red All Over The Land.

"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 11:50:52 pm »

Offline Paul_Nudge

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 11:57:16 pm »
18.12.1999 - Coventry 2-0 - Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Bill Shankly's arrival at Anfield. A mosaic across the top of the Kop spelt the word 'SHANKS'. Below were two images of Shanks' face flanking the Cross of St Andrew.

"Some of the great names from Liverpool's past 40 years were introduced to the fans, the two Scots pipers on the pitch played Shankly's favourite hymn, Amazing Grace. On The Kop the Kopites held up 12,000 coloured cards. Barely a minute into the hymn and the Kop began singing - slowly, and almost in hushed tones, "Shankly, Shankly". I swear it was one of the most moving things I've ever heard; the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. It was difficult to hold back the tears. The cards were then hurredly put aside and the massed flags and banners were unfurled. This was the loudest, most passionate YNWA that I've heard in years. It was twice as loud and twice as stirring as the CWC semi with PSG which many rate as The Kop's greatest hour since it was seated. From my position front and centre I could see the (truly) massive 'All Around The Ground The Kop Spirit Survives' banner being passed back up over hundreds of heads. It brought a lump to the throat. The anthem continued way past it's normal end point - it was if we didn't want it to end." - From Red All Over The Land.

Remember being late in for that game. Was driving in and my mate suddenly says "Shit! I've left my season ticket at home!" so we had to drive back to get it and got in after about 5 minutes. The soft c*nt.
Moses said come forth, but we came first!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2013, 12:05:48 am »
/snip/
I don't think I've ever seen that first photo mate. A brilliant collection, truly brilliant.

That kid reminds me of me a lot. I need to have a pint with the lads I use to go to the game with when I was unleashed on my own from '73 to '75, after that we went with different people.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: #SHANKLY100 - Amazing Grace
« Reply #30 on: September 2, 2013, 11:10:07 am »
It was always a special piece of music to our family. My Dad was a red, stood on the Kop during his school hols in the late 50s and then into the 60s. He was a huge fan, of course, of Mr. Shankly.

Dad was a soldier, a Major in the Royal Scots, and I have early childhood memories of him playing a tape of the Dragoon Guards with 'Amazing Grace' by far our favourite.

My Dad was a man who epitomised many of Bill Shankly's views on life and on people, and at his cremation service a couple of years back the coffin was brought in to the accompaniment of this piece of music. Needless to say it was poignant, and perfect. Not a dry eye in the house. I'd been bearing up until then but the bit where the other pipes join in at about 1 minute just got me. And everyone else. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjG7kaNbM0Y

Forgive me my indulgence but listening to it again made me want to share. And think about two very special men.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 2, 2013, 10:29:04 pm »
It was always a special piece of music to our family. My Dad was a red, stood on the Kop during his school hols in the late 50s and then into the 60s. He was a huge fan, of course, of Mr. Shankly.

Dad was a soldier, a Major in the Royal Scots, and I have early childhood memories of him playing a tape of the Dragoon Guards with 'Amazing Grace' by far our favourite.

My Dad was a man who epitomised many of Bill Shankly's views on life and on people, and at his cremation service a couple of years back the coffin was brought in to the accompaniment of this piece of music. Needless to say it was poignant, and perfect. Not a dry eye in the house. I'd been bearing up until then but the bit where the other pipes join in at about 1 minute just got me. And everyone else. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjG7kaNbM0Y

Forgive me my indulgence but listening to it again made me want to share. And think about two very special men.
I'm glad you shared it mate.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 3, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »
I've got a bit of spare time today. So, I'm going through all these Shankly threads, and I'll probably comment in most of them. But if I don't, I just want to say... fantastic stuff, all of them, including this, and thank you RAWK for putting it all together. I hope it's all going to be saved for future generations. Well done to all concerned. The Statue, mosaic, chants, it's all brilliant, but memories... we can't pay any better tribute to this very special man.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/