Author Topic: MerseyTravel Scrapped  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Satiric Gibbon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
MerseyTravel Scrapped
« on: October 26, 2006, 02:38:22 pm »

Oct 26 2006

Liverpool Echo

MERSEYTRAVEL is to be scrapped under a big shake-up of local government.

Ministers are also willing to resurrect the failed Merseytram scheme to Liverpool city centre, provided council leaders can produce a viable proposal.

Under a plan being unveiled at Westminster today by communities secretary Ruth Kelly, Merseyside councils will take responsibility for transport, policing, economic regeneration, highways, skills, health and job creation.

All were previously under overall government control.

The enhanced responsibilities means Merseyside councils will get their hands on "many billions of pounds" to spend on public services.

Merseytravel's demise would potentially gift control of the region's public transport network to local authorities.

Local government minister Phil Woolas said: "This is no reflection on Merseytravel, which has done an excellent job. It is all about handing more control over transport and other important matters to the city-regions."

Last year, the government pulled the plug on Merseytram after claiming costs had spiralled to £315m, far more than originally planned. It followed months of tortuous discussions between Merseytravel and Merseyside's five councils, three of which - Sefton, Wirral and St Helens - pulled out.

But Mr Woolas said it could return, "provided the five local authorities involved can come up with funding alternatives".

Regions will be given more control over the Benefits Agency, which will be told to give urgent priority to job creation schemes.

Merseyside police's Chief Constable Bernard Hogan-Howe and local NHS and education bosses will also be directly accountable to councils, Ms Kelly was due to announce today .

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_headline=mersey-transport-body-to-be-scrapped&method=full&objectid=17994553&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
Re: MerseyTravel Scrapped
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:40:03 pm »
Good, them c*nts couldn't ogranise a piss up in a brewery.

Offline Satiric Gibbon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:43:54 pm »
Somehow I knew you would be the first to respond and I thought you would use the word 'c*nts'! ;D

Offline fru

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 08:45:31 pm »
Can't say I've ever really had a problem with Merseytravel. I do only use the buses though so as long as the 86's keep going past my gaff every 2 minutes day and night I'm happy.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:46:05 pm »
Somehow I knew you would be the first to respond and I thought you would use the word 'c*nts'! ;D

Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing ;D

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 12:02:47 am »
You've never been so happy since GTL were taken over.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 05:32:15 pm »
How did the old Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive fit in with the local authority, anyone know? Bring back the green and cream fleet.

Offline johnny red

• Kopite
  • Kenny Dalglish is Cooler Than The Fonz!
    • http://www.liverpoolbuccaneers.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 02:55:46 pm »
yeah remember them
Clemence,Lawler Lloyd & Lindsey,Heighway,Hughes, & Alun Evans,Smithy,Hall & Little Cally & Big John Toshack will be there IN THE AIR!