Author Topic: Arthur Melo  (Read 119231 times)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arthur Melo
« Reply #120 on: September 2, 2022, 02:57:09 am »
Soooooooo you're saying we do have an option to buy.

Righto.
I didn't ever deny that we have one
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #121 on: September 2, 2022, 02:59:49 am »

True, I misread it. Fairy nuff.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #122 on: September 2, 2022, 06:18:38 am »
Sign him just for the name - when did we last have an Arthur?

1953, Arthur Rowley
https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/824
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline sushared

• Main Stander
« Reply #123 on: September 2, 2022, 06:26:54 am »
he can play a very important role. he loves the ball at his feet. the midfield trio of Arthur, Fab and Thaigo can hold on the ball for ages if required. this will definitely help us see out games without bringing pressure on us. may be he missed the Brazilian connection in the other clubs.

common Alisson, you can give him a rebirth to make him what he ought to be with his talent.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: September 2, 2022, 06:33:15 am »
Good luck to him, I know nothing about him bar his FIFA rating. We need bodies in midfield and he is one, so a fit midfielder is a bonus right now and I'll take it.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 2, 2022, 07:00:39 am »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 2, 2022, 07:35:03 am »
Welcome to the greatest club in the world Melo! All the best!
Believer

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 2, 2022, 07:44:27 am »
Really glad we have an option to buy, couldn't be arsed with him being a revelation then we have to spend all summer negotiating a fee with Juve.

If he's good then happy days, if he isn't then oh well, very low risk.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #128 on: September 2, 2022, 08:27:53 am »
I dont think the plan is for both him and Thiago to play. It will be either of them but not both because they do similar things and Thiago is the best at what he does.
He seems to be more of the Gini mold where in he is press resistant, can turn with the ball and prefers to play short and safe passes all though he has the ability to pick a 40 yarder to switch the play. The most common complain from fans of his previous clubs is that he can be too safe. Its something that has been a common stick to beat Hendo/Gini with but I think that is exactly what we have missed in midfield, some semblance of control and protection and hopefully he provides that in the absence of Thiago.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 2, 2022, 08:30:13 am »
Never saw him play. Hope he is at least available - anything above is a bonus.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 2, 2022, 08:36:41 am »
I dont think the plan is for both him and Thiago to play. It will be either of them but not both because they do similar things and Thiago is the best at what he does.
He seems to be more of the Gini mold where in he is press resistant, can turn with the ball and prefers to play short and safe passes all though he has the ability to pick a 40 yarder to switch the play. The most common complain from fans of his previous clubs is that he can be too safe. Its something that has been a common stick to beat Hendo/Gini with but I think that is exactly what we have missed in midfield, some semblance of control and protection and hopefully he provides that in the absence of Thiago.

When I hear people complain about sideways passing I usually find it's a good enough reason to disregard everything else they say.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 2, 2022, 08:39:42 am »
When I hear people complain about sideways passing I usually find it's a good enough reason to disregard everything else they say.

Setting the tempo is a quality we miss in our midfield. There's a time to pass sideways and there's a time to go vertical. The reason why Gini always seemed to shine against top quality opposition is because most of the times we needed someone to slow down the play and hold onto the ball. Not so much against relegation fodder when playing the safe pass again and again stifles our game.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 2, 2022, 08:40:11 am »
So lets see if he ever plays for LFC, and who wins that bet.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 2, 2022, 08:44:16 am »

I don't think there was is any plan, we were desperate to bring a midfielder in, and we found one. Think normally we would give him a game or two, see how he does, then design him a training plan to get up to speed. But with the amount of injuries we have, he'll likely play more sooner.

Not too fussed about him not making it at Barca and Juve, Salah was written off too, before he joined us. I actually think a tidy ball-hugging midfielder will do us good, we'll be more likely to play through the middle and cut out those useless crosses into the box we seem to be fond of. Biggest risk is that he's not actually over those injuries that kept him out at Juve.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 2, 2022, 08:47:29 am »
So lets see if he ever plays for LFC, and who wins that bet.

Like Ben Davies? Desparate signing because of injuries, but not good enough to displace the make-shift players in his position? Dunno, at least Arthur come with experience from CL-level clubs.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 2, 2022, 08:49:19 am »
He is certainly a man with 2 legs and a pulse.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 2, 2022, 09:00:40 am »
He looks like Kevin Costner.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #137 on: September 2, 2022, 09:12:54 am »

The club wouldn't have negotiated an option to buy unless there was an intention to possibly use it. Whilst he's hardly hot property for Juventus, as has been noted elsewhere there's almost always a quid pro quo element with an option to buy, usually represented in an increased loan fee. Otherwise as the buying club you risk the player being an absolute diamond and then the selling club either refusing to sell or significantly increasing the price.

So if there's an option to buy, it will have cost us something. That might only be an extra million or two, or an increased % of his wages, but it will have had a price. Maybe it's a failsafe, a "just in case", but if we had no intention at all of using it we really wouldn't have bothered.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 2, 2022, 09:13:17 am »
He looks like Kevin Costner.
Well he'll certainly be Dancing with Mongrels tomorrow at the Pit.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #139 on: September 2, 2022, 09:18:06 am »
Well he'll certainly be Dancing with Mongrels tomorrow at the Pit.

If you build it they will come…and notice it stinks of shit.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #140 on: September 2, 2022, 09:23:00 am »

We need someone to calm the game down with ten minutes to go - assuming we are winning of course.

Alonso used to provide that for us - obviously I’m not saying Arthur will reach his level but that same ability to take the sting out of the game.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #141 on: September 2, 2022, 09:33:02 am »
Hope it doesn't all turn to ash.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 2, 2022, 09:33:42 am »
Dont mind this at all. Welcome Arthur!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Aeon

• Main Stander
« Reply #143 on: September 2, 2022, 09:39:44 am »
I hope he fits in well. On the videos he looks like a Brazilian and mild version of Mascherano. A lot of crucial interceptions and some careful passing. He is almost not allowed to shoot.

Hopefully, he will make a positive impact on our defensive issues. People only focus on the goal creating and scoring records, but it is the defense that hurt us this season.

Welcome Arthur Melo!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #144 on: September 2, 2022, 09:40:37 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X0BsU5c2jJ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X0BsU5c2jJ0</a>
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: September 2, 2022, 09:41:18 am »
Yes great stuff this, welcome to the club Arthur. 
26, plenty of Brazil caps, initial loan, something to prove....   more than happy with this  ;)

Offline M4tt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #146 on: September 2, 2022, 09:44:30 am »
Option to buy is a good one if he has a good season with us. Can be Milner's replacement in the squad for next season and beyond then, whilst also not getting in the way of our plans to buy a certain star midfielder next summer.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #147 on: September 2, 2022, 09:47:29 am »
Just watched his interview and after the initial panic loan thoughts am looking forward to watching him play. Seems excited and very keen to make an impression. This could be a blinder as our Brazilian lads will help him settle and impress on him what the club is all about.
At the very least it's another body we have in midfield.

Give it your all and welcome.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 2, 2022, 09:50:23 am »
Wow so many petulant, spoilt brats in our fanbase, welcoming a new player with passive aggressive feux praise.

FFS what have we become   ???

Offline Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #149 on: September 2, 2022, 10:01:59 am »
My Italian neighbour is extremely happy he's off their books for a while. Hope he's wrong.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #150 on: September 2, 2022, 10:04:39 am »
My Italian neighbour is extremely happy he's off their books for a while. Hope he's wrong.

*Shrugs*

Literally exactly the same as United with Pogba. Go on Redcafe and I'm sure they were saying fucking brilliant that he's finally gone, no more shit from him, overpaid showpony immature twat. And Juventus fans were thinking fucking brilliant, he's back, he was great here before, what a signing on a free. Who cares.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #151 on: September 2, 2022, 10:11:20 am »
*Shrugs*

Literally exactly the same as United with Pogba. Go on Redcafe and I'm sure they were saying fucking brilliant that he's finally gone, no more shit from him, overpaid showpony immature twat. And Juventus fans were thinking fucking brilliant, he's back, he was great here before, what a signing on a free. Who cares.

Exactly.

We play a very specific system. I doubt many fans in Europe's big clubs would have been thrilled to land Wijnaldum or Robbo, and some Wolves fans weren't all that bothered about Jota leaving and thought that he'd flop. Different players suit different systems and environments. He might click for us.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 2, 2022, 10:12:36 am »
Meh. Our scouting and analytics departments are the best around, based on the last decade. None of our rivals have anywhere near the same success rate as us in bringing in players that turn out to be successful. So I'm always pretty positive whenever we bring someone new in.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #153 on: September 2, 2022, 10:19:30 am »
Excited to see Arthur under Klopp  :wave

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 2, 2022, 10:20:02 am »
I know we don't have unlimited funds and I'm happy with how we do business but I could do without all the no/low risk, win/win talk. It's all true but it just feels a bit small time. We are title challengers, not going for the top 4 trophy.

Anyways, hope he smashes it.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 2, 2022, 10:24:38 am »
I know we don't have unlimited funds and I'm happy with how we do business but I could do without all the no/low risk, win/win talk. It's all true but it just feels a bit small time. We are title challengers, not going for the top 4 trophy.

Anyways, hope he smashes it.

This whole debacle, like the CB debacle in Jan 2021, has felt small time. Back then we had COVID as an excuse, this time it's just a mess.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #156 on: September 2, 2022, 10:35:41 am »
I've got almost no expectations of the kind of player he is, I hope whatever our scouting team saw in him manifests and we can get a good player out of this deal. All the best Arthur, show us what you're made of.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 2, 2022, 10:37:11 am »
This whole debacle, like the CB debacle in Jan 2021, has felt small time. Back then we had COVID as an excuse, this time it's just a mess.

::)

Small time mess, Liverpool. I mean, they win two cups, narrowly miss out on the league, and lose the CL final in the midst of a narrowly averted disaster, and then they go in for two players at circa £100m... but yeah. Small time.

The Carvalho move in January was the subject of similar hand wringing - turns out he's quite a decent prospect, doesn't it?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #158 on: September 2, 2022, 10:38:23 am »

Exactly. The opinions in this thread would be so different if any other club, with our issues, loaned Melo on deadline day.

There is a deeper issue here imo.

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #159 on: September 2, 2022, 10:38:32 am »

A lot of Inter fans were crowing when we got Coutinho. A lot of Wolves fans were laughing when we got Jota and saying we bought a dud.

Not seen a lot of Arthur play but we have got him in a very low risk potentially high reward manner. If he turns out to be average for us, then we still have the use of a technically good midfielder for the season but if he catches fire with us then we get him for 30 odd million next summer.   

By all accounts him and Fabinho play well together for Brazil, so that can only be a good sign for us.
What's your pleasure?