Author Topic: Harvey Elliott (Harvey Daniel James Elliott)  (Read 595971 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Harvey
« Reply #4480 on: January 22, 2023, 04:02:50 pm »
Harvey isn't lightning fast by any stretch, but people also talk about him sometimes as though he's snail paced, which isn't really true either. And he has quick feet too, which is basically as important when we usually don't have much space to run into behind opposition defences anyway.

And does Salah really even have the same pace he used to anyway? - Its extremely rare you just see him burn past or run away from players anymore.

Personally I think Harvey could offer a lot as a sub for Salah, or starting the odd game in that position. He's far better suited to that than anywhere else he's played.

No he’s very slow, not comparable to Salah who is still very fast.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4481 on: January 22, 2023, 04:04:11 pm »
But would you agree or disagree that that's a position he could still cover well or be best suited to? To me, he doesn't work in midfield (been a huge critic of him there from the start because of how much it throws the rest of the team off balance) or off the left. Personally don't think there's as much difference in what the current version of Salah offers and what Harvey could offer off the right wing though.

Current version of Salah 7 in 19 in the league and 7 goals in 6 CL games, you think Elliot can offer that? ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4482 on: January 22, 2023, 09:55:12 pm »
No he’s very slow, not comparable to Salah who is still very fast.

He isn't very slow,he wasn't when people claimed he was after not watching him on loan and he isn't now.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4483 on: January 22, 2023, 10:25:43 pm »
He isn't very slow,he wasn't when people claimed he was after not watching him on loan and he isn't now.

He is for me, he’s slower than every attacker and midfielder we have bar Fabinho. If he was nippy like Bernardo or David Silva it would be different but athletically he’s certainly one of the worst players in our squad, he has everything else though and would be right at the other end of the spectrum if we were talking about technique and intelligence.

My hope is he gets faster and stronger with age because as a footballer there are few better in our squad. Think when we we put some physicality and athleticism around him he’ll be better also his passing and ability on the ball is so good  at young age it’s worth persisting with him.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4484 on: January 23, 2023, 08:10:02 am »

In the championship where the intensity and speed of the game is nowhere near the same as premier league.

I like Harvey but he is very slow which puts him at a disadvantage.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4485 on: January 23, 2023, 08:37:52 am »
In the championship where the intensity and speed of the game is nowhere near the same as premier league.

I like Harvey but he is very slow which puts him at a disadvantage.

Do you watch many top Championship games,the players are no slower,mental shout.

I can also remember how good he was when the team was purring,he was arguably one of the best players on the pitch,in a side that as I said,was purring.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4486 on: January 23, 2023, 09:16:23 am »
Current version of Salah 7 in 19 in the league and 7 goals in 6 CL games, you think Elliot can offer that? ;D

When I said I don't think there's much difference in what they can offer, I meant more in terms of profile of player. I don't think that Harvey can offer the numbers yet that even this poorer version of Salah can, no. But if you read my posts prior to that one, I'm calling for Elliott to be his understudy and a rotation option, not someone to replace him.

I also completely disagree that Salah is some lightning quick player anymore. I think he's lost some of the pace he had. Still obviously a great attacker when the system is functioning around him, but he's not as explosive as he was. And it's less relevant anyway, when we haven't been a counter attacking team for years, and often don't have space to run into behind opposition defences.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:19:44 am by decosabute »

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4487 on: January 23, 2023, 10:59:53 am »
He is for me, he’s slower than every attacker and midfielder we have bar Fabinho. If he was nippy like Bernardo or David Silva it would be different but athletically he’s certainly one of the worst players in our squad, he has everything else though and would be right at the other end of the spectrum if we were talking about technique and intelligence.

My hope is he gets faster and stronger with age because as a footballer there are few better in our squad. Think when we we put some physicality and athleticism around him he’ll be better also his passing and ability on the ball is so good  at young age it’s worth persisting with him.
Not really. He's extremely one-footed, and not much of a dribbler. Gakpo gets a lot of criticism, but he's better than Harvey already.
A lot of the praise comes from Harvey's personality, not his actual performance.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4488 on: January 23, 2023, 11:16:43 am »
Whenever Eliott is isolated you think he will lose the ball & a liability 1v1 both in attack & in defence.
He needs to start creating more chances in the final thors to justify his limatations.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4489 on: January 23, 2023, 11:22:13 am »
I can’t decide if Elliot is that good technically. He can pass the ball, that’s for sure. But press resistance and dribbling, I’m less sure about.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4490 on: January 23, 2023, 11:24:55 am »
I can’t decide if Elliot is that good technically. He can pass the ball, that’s for sure. But press resistance and dribbling, I’m less sure about.

I think he's really good technically, it's just his physicality which gets him into trouble, he's slow to turn and get away and doesn't have any real power.  Just needs to work on finding pockets of space to operate in, which is why I keep banging this drum about playing him as a 10.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4491 on: January 23, 2023, 11:55:40 am »
I think he's really good technically, it's just his physicality which gets him into trouble, he's slow to turn and get away and doesn't have any real power.  Just needs to work on finding pockets of space to operate in, which is why I keep banging this drum about playing him as a 10.

Has he ever been used as a 10? He's very one footed and when given a midfield role he inevitably ends up drifting into Mo's position all game, if he's played as a 10 it's hard to see him not just doing the same.

Reminds me of Coutinho being called a 10 over and over despite rarely playing there.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4492 on: January 23, 2023, 12:01:14 pm »
Not really. He's extremely one-footed, and not much of a dribbler. Gakpo gets a lot of criticism, but he's better than Harvey already.
A lot of the praise comes from Harvey's personality, not his actual performance.

One footed,you have to be fishing.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4493 on: January 23, 2023, 12:32:54 pm »
Don’t think i’ve ever seen a youngster slated so much by our fanbase… to the point even his qualities are downplayed. How the fuck can anyone question the lads technique :lmao

He’s got outstanding technique and anyone who thinks he hasn’t i’d encourage you to go all the way back to when he was at Blackburn AND first getting minutes for us and watch from there onwards. Us having issues in midfield doesn’t take away from the fact he has enormous potential]

One footed has got to be one of the most stupid criticisms in football, so many greats didn’t use their weak foot much at all and NOT being one footed is so common players who use both regularly often get lauded for it. Trossard is the latest to be praised for being two footed, see also Lallana and Cazorla
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 12:34:32 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4494 on: January 23, 2023, 12:34:21 pm »
They're talking absolute bollocks as well,the lad is as two footed as they come.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4495 on: January 23, 2023, 12:35:44 pm »
They're talking absolute bollocks as well,the lad is as two footed as they come.

He uses both and even if he didn’t, wtf does it have to do with half the stuff being discussed :lmao you can play any position effectively while being one footed, people have done and will continue to as long as football exists.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4496 on: January 23, 2023, 12:37:29 pm »
Genuinely staggering considering this season that people are still looking at him as one of the problems, rather than one of the very few bright points.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4497 on: January 23, 2023, 12:41:41 pm »
Genuinely staggering considering this season that people are still looking at him as one of the problems, rather than one of the very few bright points.

Mate. some have been complaining about Thiago ffs, no ones off limits it seems

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4498 on: January 23, 2023, 12:44:26 pm »

Whilst I think he can use his right foot fine for a lefty, he's nowhere near as two-footed as someone like Lallana or Doak.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4499 on: January 23, 2023, 12:48:11 pm »
Whilst I think he can use his right foot fine for a lefty, he's nowhere near as two-footed as someone like Lallana or Doak.

Which doesn't really matter at all, it's just another stick to beat him with. Don't see our other attackers getting criticised for not being amazing with their weak foot. Lallana for example is one of the most two footed players you will find, it's like criticising Kelleher for not being on Alissons level at shot stopping

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4500 on: January 23, 2023, 12:50:10 pm »
I dont think I've seen any occasion where he's struggled to make a pass with his right?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4501 on: January 23, 2023, 12:51:45 pm »
Which doesn't really matter at all, it's just another stick to beat him with. Don't see our other attackers getting criticised for not being amazing with their weak foot. Lallana for example is one of the most two footed players you will find, it's like criticising Kelleher for not being on Alissons level at shot stopping

Yeah absolutely, I've mentioned his lack of speed and power before, but not once have I thought he's completely one-footed, agree it's just another stick to beat him with.  But at the same time, defending that by saying he's as two-footed as they come is weird too.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4502 on: January 23, 2023, 12:56:30 pm »
It’s interesting that it’s almost always predominantly left-footed players who are accused of being one-footed. Salah’s had it, Robertson and now Elliot.

You never see posts saying Jota, Diaz, Firmino doesn’t use their left foot enough.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4503 on: January 23, 2023, 01:20:58 pm »
It’s interesting that it’s almost always predominantly left-footed players who are accused of being one-footed. Salah’s had it, Robertson and now Elliot.

You never see posts saying Jota, Diaz, Firmino doesn’t use their left foot enough.

To be fair although I agree with the rest, Jota is stupidly good with both feet. Another player like Lallana and Cazorla that people could be forgiven for not knowing which is his strongest foot

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4504 on: January 23, 2023, 01:26:41 pm »
I dont think I've seen any occasion where he's struggled to make a pass with his right?

Wait so he's left footed primarily? You learn something new every day.

Elliot is a great talent, still only 19.. De Bruyne at that age was playing for Genk.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4505 on: January 23, 2023, 01:29:31 pm »
To be fair although I agree with the rest, Jota is stupidly good with both feet. Another player like Lallana and Cazorla that people could be forgiven for not knowing which is his strongest foot
But you could basically put any of our right footed players in that list and you'll not see any comments about them being 'one footed'.

It's just something that only appears to be levelled at our left footed players.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4506 on: January 23, 2023, 01:36:14 pm »
But you could basically put any of our right footed players in that list and you'll not see any comments about them being 'one footed'.

It's just something that only appears to be levelled at our left footed players.

Yeah i'm agreeing with you, just saying maybe exclude Jota from the list as he doesn't apply

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #4507 on: January 29, 2023, 12:03:50 am »

Robbo,Mo and Harvey seem to be the only predominant left footers in the first team squad imho.. which it is why it looks more obvious when they get into a position where they might be better off using the opposite foot ie how many times we seen Mo miss a scoring chance in a position where using his weaker foot would have been better option :P. And then there is Riise from years gone by... left footed as they come ;)

In regards with Harvey, i am wondering what Klopps plan was for him originally. He has the creative progressive passing we want but little else at this point and tries his heart out regardless of his lack of physical presence needed in midfield. Everyone seems to think he needs to be a no.10. Where else would he fit?. a bobby lite perhaps?.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4508 on: January 29, 2023, 02:05:10 pm »
Been sick of people talking shit about the lad. He's not a CM and showed for Blackburn he's dangerous if you put him further forward. He knows where the goal is.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4509 on: January 29, 2023, 02:31:33 pm »
Been sick of people talking shit about the lad. He's not a CM and showed for Blackburn he's dangerous if you put him further forward. He knows where the goal is.

This is exactly what the conversation has been about though isn't it? I've been pretty consistent in my opinion that he needed to be dropped from the midfield and didn't look at all capable of that role, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have talent or that we don't want him to succeed.

He looks much better as a right forward, he's just unfortunate that our current right forward happens to be near unbreakable and so he tends to play everywhere other than his favoured position.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4510 on: January 29, 2023, 03:37:42 pm »
Probably the only player to come away from that with any credit.

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4511 on: January 29, 2023, 07:47:08 pm »
Been doing well further upfront . When Nunez fully fit it should be Gakpo on the bench

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4512 on: January 29, 2023, 09:22:07 pm »
Pesky one footed players :lmao

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4513 on: January 29, 2023, 09:32:30 pm »
This place can be mental sometimes. If anything he has been one of the bright spots. Improving game by game, looks after the ball, always available for a pass and his passing has been good. He isnt the problem. He is part of the solution for me. With a little more experience, he'll be able to influence the game more but is doing all the basics asked of him.

Our 2 biggest issues right now is the defensive positions and attitude of most of our senior midfielders and the chemistry between our forwards. That cannot be solved overnight. The more the forwards play together, the more they will improve. There's less instinctive play right now because of our original front 3 or even the starting front 3 at the end of last season, only Mo has been available to play. The midfield was better until the subs. That is the big concern because there's no easy/quick solution there either. Naby has done well coming in and with Cody and Ox, we have the 3 we are allowed to add to CL squad. Fixing this before summer will be logistically difficult.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4514 on: January 29, 2023, 09:39:53 pm »
This is exactly what the conversation has been about though isn't it? I've been pretty consistent in my opinion that he needed to be dropped from the midfield and didn't look at all capable of that role, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have talent or that we don't want him to succeed.

He looks much better as a right forward, he's just unfortunate that our current right forward happens to be near unbreakable and so he tends to play everywhere other than his favoured position.

If we had a functional midfield we’d be so much better off playing Salah 10, Elliot wide right and then 2 6s. It’s just we don’t have any midfielders that could cover the ground necessary to play as 2 6s with Salah as a 10 (who won’t do all the defensive work Firmino used to do from his false 9 position). Nunez at 9 and Gapko wide left. It’d be very decent and would massively help Salah and Elliot.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 09:43:23 pm by Knight »

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #4515 on: January 30, 2023, 12:08:28 am »
If he can play as a functional LW then why did we need another LW?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #4516 on: January 30, 2023, 12:24:51 am »
We are watching him develop, and improve, before our eyes. In years to come we will say we were there in his early days. Some might go back and delete posts, mind
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4517 on: January 30, 2023, 12:32:19 am »
If he can play as a functional LW then why did we need another LW?

Same old shit.

You need new material ffs.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4518 on: January 30, 2023, 12:40:04 am »

Same old shit.

You need new material ffs.

He acts as if we’re only allowed to make one signing per window or something.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4519 on: January 30, 2023, 07:29:00 am »
I’d love to see Harvey behind Salah and Nunez in a 4231. He’s got lovely vision and movement. Not sure he’s got the pace for out wide.

Konate, Elliot, Bajcetic, Nunez is a young core to rebuild around for sure.