Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2764758 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #49480 on: November 5, 2018, 04:24:19 am »
Rodgers having to play with these guys, is truly "What if Messi played for ( insert average team here )".

17-17, Rodgers making killer throws. NE looking a little rattled after the goal line sequence...fumble, death.

Jones has been great this year in fairness and the young receivers are coming on leaps and bounds. It's just a pity we're running out of years of prime Rodgers.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49481 on: November 5, 2018, 04:24:56 am »
Rodgers having to play with these guys, is truly "What if Messi played for ( insert average team here )".

17-17, Rodgers making killer throws. NE looking a little rattled after the goal line sequence...fumble, death.

"yeah Messi's good but he could he get Everton into the top four?" is the Rodgers equivalent of the cold night in Stoke haha
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #49482 on: November 5, 2018, 04:37:50 am »
Impressed our D held Rodgers to 17. Gives me hope..

7-2 Baby! Keep everyone healthy we got a shot here
YNWA

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49483 on: November 5, 2018, 10:14:45 am »
Looks like seriously Packers may miss the play-off’s, i feel for Rodgers, he deserves much better.

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #49484 on: November 5, 2018, 10:24:34 am »
Yeah, Packers just isn't a very good football team. Inconsistency on both sides of the ball is their defining identity at the moment. Still a lot of season left, but they have to get it together in a hurry now.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #49485 on: November 5, 2018, 10:30:24 am »
Nowt new there, for quite a few years now the packers have seemed like a not very good to bad team with a great player.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #49486 on: November 5, 2018, 10:51:33 am »
Looks like seriously Packers may miss the play-off’s, i feel for Rodgers, he deserves much better.

They traded away two (sometime) starters at a crucial time in the season. Kinda indicative of their priorities.

A lot of teams (Raiders being the most obvious; this week we dispensed with DRC, Derrick Johnson & Bruce Irvin) seem to be throwing the towel in early. There was also a lot more trading than I remember growing up in the 80s. This season seemed to be teams loading up for a play-off run or cutting bait. A bit more like major league baseball.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49487 on: November 5, 2018, 10:56:27 am »
How about them Saints though? They hand Rams their first loss and they are now 7-1

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #49488 on: November 5, 2018, 10:56:30 am »
So at what point, after change upon change upon change is made to help Rodgers win another SB, do they realize the biggest change might need to be Mike McCarthy? How many more years is that guy going to underperform in Green Bay and still get paid to do it?
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Djimothy

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49489 on: November 5, 2018, 11:14:13 am »
If missing out on the playoffs this year means McCarthy is finally shown the door than it's probably for the best.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49490 on: November 5, 2018, 12:09:40 pm »
I'm probably over-extrapolating, but from when I started regularly watching NFL (not just playoffs/superbowl) last season I've always had the sense Rodgers has that same look in his eye that Gerrard used to have for us, post-Rafa and pre-13/14 resurgence/reinvention. 

They can't fail to notice how inferior their team is, but they also have a responsibility to those around them not to show it and make things worse. Their brilliance includes being able to adapt how they're moving as the toll on their body kicks in (Rodgers in the pocket last night does his usual thing but then also adds in jumping to avoid his leg being grounded on any hits, protecting his knee). They're both freaks

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49491 on: November 5, 2018, 12:23:28 pm »
I'm probably over-extrapolating, but from when I started regularly watching NFL (not just playoffs/superbowl) last season I've always had the sense Rodgers has that same look in his eye that Gerrard used to have for us, post-Rafa and pre-13/14 resurgence/reinvention. 

They can't fail to notice how inferior their team is, but they also have a responsibility to those around them not to show it and make things worse. Their brilliance includes being able to adapt how they're moving as the toll on their body kicks in (Rodgers in the pocket last night does his usual thing but then also adds in jumping to avoid his leg being grounded on any hits, protecting his knee). They're both freaks

Funny enough, I was thinking about the same comparison earlier today. Luckily Rodgers has his title and Stevie won the CL, but both of them should've won a lot more with their talent.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49492 on: November 5, 2018, 12:26:14 pm »
Cant wait to watch the highlights of that Saints/Rams game on the NFL catch up show on Beeb2 tomorrow night. (after we have destroyed Red Star)

Bears picking up a bit of momentum I see. I fancy them to win their next two.  I'd say dark horses for the SB but tough being in the same division as Rams and Saints.

Looks like another good week of football to reflect on.

PS:  I am SO looking forward to watching the 49ers destroy the Raiders not matter how much of a token victory it was :)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49493 on: November 5, 2018, 02:04:56 pm »
Mike McCarthy should have been fired the day after his farcical coaching of the 2014 NFC title game at Seattle.  Twice kicking for FGs well inside the 5 with the best QB in football, and blowing a 2 score lead with 3 minutes left are fireable offences.   Russell Wilson had 4 picks that day and still won!

If they had replaced him with Jim Harbaugh I have little doubt that they'd have made at least 1 more SB appearance in the last 3 (now 4) years.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #49494 on: November 5, 2018, 02:38:25 pm »
Rodgers will be 35 by the time the 2019 regular season starts. Not sure how many seasons he has left in him -  3? 5?

Him, Roesthlisberger, Brady, Brees - all elite QBs who have propelled their teams to being perennial playoff contenders. How many years do any of them have left playing NFL?

Got to wonder what happens to those 4 teams when you don't have an elite QB to call upon anymore.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49495 on: November 5, 2018, 02:50:49 pm »
Funny enough, I was thinking about the same comparison earlier today. Luckily Rodgers has his title and Stevie won the CL, but both of them should've won a lot more with their talent.

What do you make of Sean McVay? For me, I often associate him with Brendan Rodgers but maybe slightly less awkward.

A technocrat who clearly loves coaching, and all the social interaction that comes with it, who's not afraid of a cliche and being a little bit 'business-speak'-y. Ultimately relatively likable for being a bit of a purist and playing watchable football

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #49496 on: November 5, 2018, 03:28:36 pm »
I quite like those patriots 'color rush unis'.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49497 on: November 5, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »
How about them Saints though? They hand Rams their first loss and they are now 7-1
That was a tremendous game. I respect Brees and Sean Payton a lot but I didn't expect them to have this much talent this year. Two excellent teams. Might have been a preview of the NFC championship game.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49498 on: November 5, 2018, 05:54:24 pm »
Rodgers will be 35 by the time the 2019 regular season starts. Not sure how many seasons he has left in him -  3? 5?

Him, Roesthlisberger, Brady, Brees - all elite QBs who have propelled their teams to being perennial playoff contenders. How many years do any of them have left playing NFL?

Got to wonder what happens to those 4 teams when you don't have an elite QB to call upon anymore.

Parity!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49499 on: November 5, 2018, 06:14:32 pm »
That was a tremendous game. I respect Brees and Sean Payton a lot but I didn't expect them to have this much talent this year. Two excellent teams. Might have been a preview of the NFC championship game.
Same here, I thought they would barely make the play-off's and not gonna make any noise in the play-off's anyways. Now they look like a contender. Brees is a class act, really hard to dislike the guy, he has been playing like peak Brees.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #49500 on: November 5, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »
Parity!

As 49ers fan this is what I’m hoping. Probably just wishful thinking though
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49501 on: November 5, 2018, 07:24:54 pm »
As 49ers fan this is what I’m hoping. Probably just wishful thinking though

Pats will be bad for a long time when Brady and Belichick go.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49502 on: November 5, 2018, 08:43:10 pm »
This is fantastic. :lmao
-------------

The Oakland Raiders took some extreme measures to prove that JaMarcus Russell wasn't doing everything in his power to be a good NFL player.

Appearing on New York's WFAN (h/t Andrew Marchand of the New York Post), former offensive lineman David Diehl said Raiders coaches used to give Russell blank tapes to determine if he was studying film.

Diehl noted Russell would come into the Raiders' facilities the day after receiving the tapes saying that he watched the blitz packages.

Who would have known that Russell wasn't fully dedicated to being an NFL quarterback? His 52.1 completion percentage, 18 touchdowns and 23 interceptions in 31 games turned him into one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history.

If only the Raiders coaches had studied blank tapes instead of Russell's LSU tape, they might have opted to go with Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis or Darrelle Revis with the No. 1 pick in that same draft class.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804453-david-diehl-raiders-gave-jamarcus-russell-blank-tapes-to-see-if-qb-watched-film?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49503 on: November 5, 2018, 09:02:19 pm »
Stephen A nailed him

https://youtu.be/JzhY5Quok-E

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #49504 on: November 6, 2018, 04:09:52 am »
Just watching a recording of packers/patriots.

Patriots must be the Man U of the NFL. Ref calls for them & ignored against them.

Looking at last years records, how come they play the Packers at home, but Miami with a worse record has to play them away. Fucking Farce.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49505 on: November 6, 2018, 06:12:39 am »
Looking at last years records, how come they play the Packers at home, but Miami with a worse record has to play them away. Fucking Farce.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/creating-the-nfl-schedule/

Packers get their fair share of calls too, some unreal ones in recent years

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49506 on: November 6, 2018, 07:00:39 am »
What do you make of Sean McVay? For me, I often associate him with Brendan Rodgers but maybe slightly less awkward.

A technocrat who clearly loves coaching, and all the social interaction that comes with it, who's not afraid of a cliche and being a little bit 'business-speak'-y. Ultimately relatively likable for being a bit of a purist and playing watchable football

I didn't really think about it, but I guess I'd agree with this. The Rams really seem to trust McVay, given how much they invested into the squad in only his 2nd year.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49507 on: November 6, 2018, 07:13:02 am »
Don't know whether I'm imagining it, but the Packers seem to get a crazy amount of non-standard fixtures. They seem to always be either Sunday late, Thursday or MNF.

Rodgers draws that attention.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49508 on: November 6, 2018, 08:29:08 am »
This is fantastic. :lmao
-------------

The Oakland Raiders took some extreme measures to prove that JaMarcus Russell wasn't doing everything in his power to be a good NFL player.

Appearing on New York's WFAN (h/t Andrew Marchand of the New York Post), former offensive lineman David Diehl said Raiders coaches used to give Russell blank tapes to determine if he was studying film.

Diehl noted Russell would come into the Raiders' facilities the day after receiving the tapes saying that he watched the blitz packages.

Who would have known that Russell wasn't fully dedicated to being an NFL quarterback? His 52.1 completion percentage, 18 touchdowns and 23 interceptions in 31 games turned him into one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history.

If only the Raiders coaches had studied blank tapes instead of Russell's LSU tape, they might have opted to go with Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis or Darrelle Revis with the No. 1 pick in that same draft class.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804453-david-diehl-raiders-gave-jamarcus-russell-blank-tapes-to-see-if-qb-watched-film?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Its weird that none of those guys (Russell) aside is still around. I think of them as young guys...

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49509 on: November 6, 2018, 08:30:50 am »
Garrett is gone fo’sho?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49510 on: November 6, 2018, 08:31:50 am »
Pats will be bad for a long time when Brady and Belichick go.
Nah, we will still be relevant imo.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49511 on: November 6, 2018, 08:31:54 am »
Garrett is gone fo’sho?

Jerruh loves him though.

(But he should be gone, losing at home to the Titans=end of season)

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #49512 on: November 6, 2018, 08:34:00 am »
Garrett is gone fo’sho?

Oh please, please, please!

(Never going to happen.)
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49513 on: November 8, 2018, 10:42:32 am »
Oh please, please, please!

(Never going to happen.)

Indeed, it's not. Jerry Jones has said he's not going anywhere, though did only say 'during this season' and that Dak is going to get five more years. Probably not worth you getting hopes up even for close season though, JJ seems quite thickheaded

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #49514 on: November 8, 2018, 10:53:02 am »
Quite?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49515 on: November 8, 2018, 11:35:16 am »
Quite?

I've only ever seen him on All or nothing, and they were keen to show his good side ;)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49516 on: November 9, 2018, 01:30:51 am »
Good start for the panthers!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49517 on: November 9, 2018, 01:33:44 am »
Nevemind

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49518 on: November 9, 2018, 01:39:11 am »
Fucking jinxed them

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #49519 on: November 9, 2018, 01:41:57 am »
Fucking jinxed them

Some game so far, it's nearly worth turning on.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.