Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2766797 times)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #49400 on: November 2, 2018, 08:14:17 am »
It`s year zero; going full tank.

Players will be dying to play for the Raiders when they sniff that sweet tax situation in Nevada.

Obviously the ownership & management don't give a toss about Oakland, and lost interest when the city (rightly) didn't stump up for a new stadium.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #49401 on: November 2, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
The Raiders are woeful. Not really sure what's going on there. At least they got that 1 win against the Browns. Looking at their schedule I think last night was their best chance of a 2nd win this season.

The 49ers are a weird team. They are 2 years into a rebuild under Shanahan/Lynch. Almost 12 months ago they were 1-10 but under Garapollo managed to get to 6-10 and build a bit of momentum. This season they are back at 2-7 albeit with a team that has dealt with injuries in key positions. There's some real promise in their roster but also some concerns. In terms of promise, George Kittle look like a Pro-Bowl tight end - great at blocking and receiving. Top 10 in receiving yards in the NFL and most receiving yards for a TE across the league. That's with CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens at QB for most of the year.

Matt Breida looks like a really good pick up at RB. He's got over 500 rushing yards over 9 games so with a bit of good fortune he could go close to 1000 yards rushing this season. That's really decent for an a 2nd year pro (undrafted) that was only ever likely pencilled in as a back up option to McKinnon this year. Raheem Mostert has done well as a RB too and adds another string to his special team bow. I think a lot of that may be down to Shanahan's offence but you can't argue with 7.7 yards/attempt over 34 carries. McGlinchey looks a good draft pick at tackle. Fred Warner too at LB. Richard Sherman has been good so far. DeForest Bruckner still looks a great player in the making and could break 10 sacks this season.

That's all the good stuff and reasons to be optimistic. The 49ers do sit at 2-7 though. Some of that is down to key injuries but I think I contributing factor is players who showed promise last year not kicking on. Marquise Goodwin hasn't had the same impact as last year. Is that Garopollo related or is he returning to the norm after a peak season? Their collection of young defensive backs who played well during that 5 game winning streak last year have taken a step back. Witherspoon and Colbert in particular have struggled. Reuben Foster has been OK but not kicked on like many would have hoped. For a team that have drafted 3 D-Line mean in the 1st round on consecutive years I don't think the 49ers are getting enough out of them. Armstead and Thomas are not playing like 1st round material.

A lot of the negativity around this season could be placed on the defensive side of things. A lack of edge rusher is playing a big role. Statistically the defence doesn't look too bad but watching the games they seem to be giving up big plays at crucial times. Is this due to Saleh's scheme or him not having the odd key playmaker to make the scheme really work?

I think the 49ers will end up with 4 wins this season. Which is lower than expected. Some mitigating circumstances but they really need to plug a few key gaps next off season. Either through the draft or free agency. Almost as importantly they need some of the players having a tough 2nd season to bounce back. With that bounce back and Shanahan's offensive mind I really think they have the talent to be an 8-10 win team next season.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2018, 10:02:51 am by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49402 on: November 2, 2018, 10:32:28 am »
There's some real promise in their roster but also some concerns. In terms of promise, George Kittle look like a Pro-Bowl tight end - great at blocking and receiving. Top 10 in receiving yards in the NFL and most receiving yards for a TE across the league.

That one-handed grab in traffic at midfield and rumble down to the 5 yard line was the most Gronk-like of any TE I've seen recently. He looks like the real deal, as does Breida as you've mentioned.

Not sure about the talent levels elsewhere, but I had hoped for more innovation from a Shanahan offense, but losing the starting QB obviously didn't help.  Time will tell about Lynch's draft ability.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #49403 on: November 2, 2018, 10:36:35 am »
I don't think it's fair to make a judgement about any team missing their starting QB.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #49404 on: November 2, 2018, 11:14:30 am »
That might be one of the worst performances ever seen - badly coached, badly played sloppy. Team has clearly quit completely, and Gruden lucky to keep his job on that performance even if tanking.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Online Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49405 on: November 2, 2018, 12:14:45 pm »
That might be one of the worst performances ever seen - badly coached, badly played sloppy. Team has clearly quit completely, and Gruden lucky to keep his job on that performance even if tanking.

Gruden won't be fired because of the contract he's on, it'd cost the Raiders around $90 million to fire him, as unlike players, coaches have there contract fully guaranteed.
#Sausages

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #49406 on: November 2, 2018, 12:28:46 pm »
That one-handed grab in traffic at midfield and rumble down to the 5 yard line was the most Gronk-like of any TE I've seen recently. He looks like the real deal, as does Breida as you've mentioned.

Not sure about the talent levels elsewhere, but I had hoped for more innovation from a Shanahan offense, but losing the starting QB obviously didn't help.  Time will tell about Lynch's draft ability.

No starting QB has definitely had an impact.

Even games like last week against the Cardinals. The defence gave up some big plays in the 4th quarter. But this loss was also on the offence. CJ Beathard just couldn't get them going 4th quarter. A lot of 3 and outs from what I can remember. Just needed some possession of the ball and it's game done. Think Garapollo finds a way to win in that situation. Or at very least gives you a much better chance. Same against Green Bay in Week6.  Lots of turnovers in Week 5 against the Cardinals that maybe don't happen with Garapollo. Also got to wonder if he's the difference maker in a 2 point loss against the Chargers.

However, it's all if, buts and maybes. If I had to guess I think with a healthy Garapollo the 49ers are not sitting at 2-7. I think 4-4 would be more realistic. That's not a play off team this year in the NFC but the season is still alive to some degree.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #49407 on: November 2, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »
Gruden won't be fired because of the contract he's on, it'd cost the Raiders around $90 million to fire him, as unlike players, coaches have there contract fully guaranteed.

The offence has (up until last night) been moving the ball down the field, but not punching it in. Who do you blame for that?

Now the best part of their team, the O-Line is banged-up, and the QB has got the yips.

The defence has been garbage for 15 years, I can`t remember the last decent defensive backfield unit we had, and Reggie`s picks to fix it have been woeful. I suspect he`ll be gone soon and Gruden will have to "Ride or Die" on his own choices. No way is he being sacked before the move to Vegas.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #49408 on: November 2, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »

Oh I know, but he should....
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49409 on: November 2, 2018, 04:52:39 pm »
the real question - apart from the millions they make stealing a living - which Gruden brother is the bigger meathead.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49410 on: November 2, 2018, 09:57:33 pm »
With all the money they bet on Gruden, surely they're giving him three seasons, at the very least. They traded Mack and Cooper for three first round picks (and probably not at the very end of the round) and they'll likely be picking in the top 3 this season (and I'd bet next season as well). Give him two drafts to create a decent team, sign a couple of free agents when they move to Vegas and see how he does there. If they can't get out of the basement in three years, then it's time to reevaluate...

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #49411 on: November 4, 2018, 01:13:55 am »
Bruce Irvin has been cut by the Raiders.

Amidst all the shit, some moves (like this one, and cutting that twitter clown Marquette King) have actually not been bad decisions.

Agree with IanZG in that as much as people say Gruden should be fired, none of what's happening is a surprise to Mark Davis I expect.

When he signed, Gruden has to have told Mark that things will stink for the next 2 possibly 3 years before there are any positives.

The aim is (and has always been it turns out) Vegas. I do feel sorry for the Oakland fanbase and of course when you scorch the earth in this way there is no guarantee that all these high picks will work out; just look at all the high picks the Raiders had from Tampa when Gruden left and what they did with them (or most of them for the 15 or so years since). It's not an exact science but this is the plan; they're looking at Vegas 2020 with a whole set of new faces.

Until then, they would use blow up inflatable dummies as players if they could.

The damn shame is apart from the 2014 drafts, Reggie's picks haven't done much and I really wanted them to work out. Hayden, Joseph, Conley, Vanderdoes, Cook, Walford etc were all misses.

Just goes to show drafts don't necessarily mean success.

It'll be rough seas for the next couple of years at least and from then who knows? sad situation.

Online Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #49412 on: November 4, 2018, 01:00:11 pm »
Jets at Dolphins could get interesting as i believe the field is in a mess resembling the Somme rather than a football field.
#Sausages

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #49413 on: November 4, 2018, 03:50:55 pm »
Green Bay v Pats getting a lot of hype over the weekend.

Would love it to be even remotely close but can't see anything other than a pats win, by a at least 2 scores (packers fan).
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49414 on: November 4, 2018, 03:53:02 pm »
Green Bay v Pats getting a lot of hype over the weekend.

Would love it to be even remotely close but can't see anything other than a pats win, by a at least 2 scores (packers fan).

Not likely. We can't run the ball, and Gronk is a shadow of himself. For us to be able to win consistently we have to run the ball, and we have no one currently who can do that unless Michel plays tonight.

Packers can win, and imo should win.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49415 on: November 4, 2018, 04:54:13 pm »
Fairly new follower of the NFL, but I thought Rams-Saints was the game to watch. I get the history and QB vs. QB in the Packers - Patriots game, but the Packers have had a relatively quiet season so far. I’d rather go for undefeated vs. nearly undefeated.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49416 on: November 4, 2018, 04:55:18 pm »
Two absolute barn-burners tonight:  Rams at New Orleans in late afternoon, with the first visit of Rodgers at Foxboro to follow. Seems crazy that this is only the second Rodgers-Brady matchup ever.  The NFL does such a poor job in scheduling games across conferences, considering there's been 17 Brady-Manning matches, and a dozen Brady-Roethlisberger games.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49417 on: November 4, 2018, 04:56:23 pm »
ravens-steelers is the game to watch?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49418 on: November 4, 2018, 04:59:20 pm »
Two absolute barn-burners tonight:  Rams at New Orleans in late afternoon, with the first visit of Rodgers at Foxboro to follow. Seems crazy that this is only the second Rodgers-Brady matchup ever.  The NFL does such a poor job in scheduling games across conferences, considering there's been 17 Brady-Manning matches, and a dozen Brady-Roethlisberger games.

I like the exclusivity personally but I can see why you would prefer more games.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #49419 on: November 4, 2018, 05:01:33 pm »
ravens-steelers is the game to watch?

Luckily over this side of the pond Sky have for once picked the right slate of games to show and I'll be able to tune in to all 3. Any Pats fan trying to say the Packers are favourites is having a laugh surely.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49420 on: November 4, 2018, 05:03:03 pm »
Seems crazy that this is only the second Rodgers-Brady matchup ever.  The NFL does such a poor job in scheduling games across conferences, considering there's been 17 Brady-Manning matches, and a dozen Brady-Roethlisberger games.
you only play a team from another conference every 4 years, plus manning and Brady tended to win their division so that also helped

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49421 on: November 4, 2018, 05:51:33 pm »
you only play a team from another conference every 4 years, plus manning and Brady tended to win their division so that also helped

I'd do something with the 2 games that are not part of the divisional games and the 2 sets of rotated games from outside the division (eg when you play the AFC West and the NFC North, etc.). Create more local rivalry games - Baltimore and Washington are 20 miles apart but play once every 4 years. Same with the New York teams. Mix it up a bit between the conferences I say.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49422 on: November 4, 2018, 06:01:22 pm »
Wish Tampa Bay v Carolina was on telly. Could be any number of points in that. Fitzpatrick airs it out no end and TB are leakier than a colander.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49423 on: November 4, 2018, 06:09:00 pm »
Wish Tampa Bay v Carolina was on telly. Could be any number of points in that. Fitzpatrick airs it out no end and TB are leakier than a colander.

Expecting a bit of needle in the Steelers Ravens game though, be good to get a proper look at Conner as well.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49424 on: November 4, 2018, 06:16:43 pm »

He sure does air it out Gerry, a bit too much maybe  ;D

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49425 on: November 4, 2018, 07:21:23 pm »
Christian McCaffrey with 2 TDs and almost 100 yards from scrimmage in the first half.
The prick wasn't doing anything like that last year when I drafted him in my fantasy team   >:(

Seriously though, who would have thought Norv Turner would have turned the Panthers into an offensive machine? 5 first half TDs now.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49426 on: November 4, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »
Steelers did whatever they could to make this a close game going into the HT

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49427 on: November 4, 2018, 07:41:21 pm »
I'd do something with the 2 games that are not part of the divisional games and the 2 sets of rotated games from outside the division (eg when you play the AFC West and the NFC North, etc.). Create more local rivalry games - Baltimore and Washington are 20 miles apart but play once every 4 years. Same with the New York teams. Mix it up a bit between the conferences I say.
yeah it’d be better if they did that but not so sure how they can do it without being accused of favouritism

Oh, and Nate-Pete, poor lad

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49428 on: November 4, 2018, 07:45:16 pm »

Oh, and Nate-Pete, poor lad

I think it's stopped being funny. I feel sorry for the fella, but he has no business starting in NFL games and that's on the Bills management.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49429 on: November 4, 2018, 07:57:53 pm »
Ravens D out of gas now, 20-6 Steelers, extra point missed.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49430 on: November 4, 2018, 08:01:21 pm »
I think it's stopped being funny. I feel sorry for the fella, but he has no business starting in NFL games and that's on the Bills management.
something like 11% of his passes are INTs, only one guy has that with over 100 passes since the 40s and that was in the 80s.

Feel for him but I’m half expecting an Alex Nyarko type moment with him soon

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49431 on: November 4, 2018, 08:14:02 pm »
Panthers really need to be a full game team instead of a half game team they currently are. Suck in the first half play well in the 2nd. Now it’s play well in the first suck in the second

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49432 on: November 4, 2018, 08:16:35 pm »
Stafford's been sacked a career-high 7 times today and there's still a full quarter to go ;D

Vikes have been very slippy on offense. Now committed a red zone turnover when a score would have put the game to bed.

Dolphins-Jets sounds like an atrocity of a game.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49433 on: November 4, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »
And an absolute gift from a daft Stafford pitch results in a Hunter TD to seal the game.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49434 on: November 4, 2018, 08:32:59 pm »
I give Roethlisberger more shit than most here, but he's still capable of throwing a beautiful ball like that one to Jesse James coming off a bad bang to that shoulder.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49435 on: November 4, 2018, 08:33:42 pm »
I give Roethlisberger more shit than most here, but he's still capable of throwing a beautiful ball like that one to Jesse James coming off a bad bang to that shoulder.

Steelers looking really good tonight, Ravens no mugs and the steelers have managed 8/12 third down conversions. That's impressive.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49436 on: November 4, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »
Panthers are trying hard to blow a 21 lead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49437 on: November 4, 2018, 08:38:33 pm »
Feel sorry for Stafford, good QB but that O-Line is getting mashed.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49438 on: November 4, 2018, 08:46:43 pm »
Panthers are trying hard to blow a 21 lead
You cannot defeat FitzMagic. It's too powerful and mysterious.
You can only contain it (or cover his receivers better).

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49439 on: November 4, 2018, 08:52:11 pm »
Peterman showing his worth there