Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1382034 times)

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #8560 on: November 23, 2021, 05:25:40 pm »
Good point re Salah. Although considering how many games De Bruyne misses these days those are some pretty crazy numbers from him.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8561 on: November 23, 2021, 06:36:28 pm »
What’s crazy is Salah is 4 behind De Bruyne. And no one in the media seems to mention it. Though they jump when they think he’s being selfish.
That may have been taken out of context, it may have been a reference to a Sean Connery accent "shellfish", meaning that he's hard on the outside and soft on the inside.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8562 on: November 23, 2021, 11:45:41 pm »
Trent and James will be the new Gerrard and Lampard for England, both exceptionally talented with a never ending debate around who should be playing and who’s better. Meanwhile as per usual United fans will be sat screaming into the void trying to convince themselves Aaron Wan-Scholes is better.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8563 on: November 28, 2021, 03:35:28 am »
Quietly got another assist yesterday. No biggie.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8564 on: November 28, 2021, 05:04:33 am »
10 assists in 14 appearances.   :)
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8565 on: December 10, 2021, 12:17:36 pm »
PL POTM for November: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/trent-alexander-arnold-wins-premier-league-player-month

The Liverpool right-back was in magnificent form, contributing one goal – a pinpoint free-kick away at West Ham United – and four assists to help his team continue a strong push at the top of the table.

Alexander-Arnold, who played every minute of the Reds’ three top-flight games, also aided the securing of two clean sheets.

He emerged as the winner of the prize – for the second time in his Premier League career – from a shortlist that also included teammate Diogo Jota, plus Joao Cancelo, Emmanuel Dennis, John McGinn and Bernardo Silva.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8566 on: December 10, 2021, 03:55:57 pm »
Christ we are sooo lucky to have him.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8567 on: December 10, 2021, 07:55:27 pm »
Christ we are sooo lucky to have him.
Yep.

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8568 on: January 14, 2022, 03:02:49 pm »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8569 on: January 16, 2022, 05:07:42 pm »
Did Trent have covid? He's not 100% on it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8570 on: January 16, 2022, 05:59:27 pm »
His heatmap from today is going to be really interesting because at times he was playing centre mid. He was basically playing in Hendersons position.

He did it against Arsenal but I thought that was down to them being down to 10 men and needing to flood that midfield area to try and break down that back 5. Didn't work and he was hooked in the 2nd half (rightfully so, he had covid, only trained 1 day etc)

But today, having Ox, Hendo and Trent all playing interchangeably on that midfield/right wing was a tactic and I thought it worked well at times because it creates passing lanes and drags their defenders out of position in that low block defence. But you do lose his creativity out wide because Henderson just isn't as good at crossing and Trent isn't that creative in midfield (plus he needs to work on his shooting)

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #8571 on: January 16, 2022, 08:32:10 pm »
Since the start of the 2018-19 season, only Thomas Müller (64) and Lionel Messi (47) have provided more assists in Europe's big-five leagues than Liverpool right back Trent Alexander-Arnold (42).

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #8572 on: January 17, 2022, 06:51:40 pm »
Was just thinking about that awesome piece of skill he pulled off to set up Jota (hit the post), this guy is not a real human.
The change is cast

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8573 on: January 17, 2022, 07:04:04 pm »
His heatmap from today is going to be really interesting because at times he was playing centre mid. He was basically playing in Hendersons position.

He did it against Arsenal but I thought that was down to them being down to 10 men and needing to flood that midfield area to try and break down that back 5. Didn't work and he was hooked in the 2nd half (rightfully so, he had covid, only trained 1 day etc)

But today, having Ox, Hendo and Trent all playing interchangeably on that midfield/right wing was a tactic and I thought it worked well at times because it creates passing lanes and drags their defenders out of position in that low block defence. But you do lose his creativity out wide because Henderson just isn't as good at crossing and Trent isn't that creative in midfield (plus he needs to work on his shooting)

He's been playing there all season to be honest, it's just previously been Salah, Trent and Hendo/Elliott but it's not a new tactic

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #8574 on: January 17, 2022, 08:57:22 pm »
He looks a proper athlete now.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8575 on: January 17, 2022, 09:27:00 pm »
He looks a proper athlete now.
as opposed to .... :)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #8576 on: January 17, 2022, 09:55:13 pm »
Not looking like an athlete………
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8577 on: January 17, 2022, 09:56:42 pm »

350 lbs line backer in American football, I suppose.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #8578 on: January 17, 2022, 09:59:08 pm »

350 lbs line backer in American football, I suppose.
Or Akinfenwa.  ;D

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8579 on: January 17, 2022, 10:12:26 pm »
The tactical tweak to use him more him the middle gives him the best of both worlds. He can unlock defences with his through balls and score screamers when in the middle and can still whip his trademark crosses on the wing.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8580 on: January 17, 2022, 10:20:43 pm »
The tactical tweak to use him more him the middle gives him the best of both worlds. He can unlock defences with his through balls and score screamers when in the middle and can still whip his trademark crosses on the wing.

yes - he's started to shoot a bit more it seems.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8581 on: January 18, 2022, 09:20:43 am »
And he's boss at it. He seems to shoot better when cutting in on his right.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8582 on: January 18, 2022, 09:57:44 am »

I was one of the people asking the question about whether we wanted to find ways of moving him into positions where he could be more dangerous, given the principle that you want your best creators of picking up the ball in the most dangerous positions as often as possible. Once you start asking that question it makes the, 'should we move him into midfield' shouts a lot more sensible, albeit still heavily hypothetical. After all, the 'why would you move the best RB in the world to another position' argument is pretty compelling. Plus, Klopp has probably killed even the idle non serious speculation forever given his comments about Trent as an 8 for England a few months back. But this positional tweak is interesting. Whilst not moving him from RB we have definitely found ways of moving him into '8 like' positions at points. What I want to ask Klopp about is this; why does playing him as an 8 not work but doing what we're doing with him does work? Because in some ways it'd be much easier on us tactically (and make us less brittle defensively) if we just shifted positions around so Trent was the 8 and someone else was the RB. Our current positional fluidity, and the tactical discipline it requires, seems a little unnecessary in some ways if it's primarily motivated by getting Trent into more '8' like positions, wouldn't it be simpler to just move him there. I don't think he has the press resistance and ability to play in tight spaces that we'd want from an 8, but then Henderson definitely doesn't and he's an ever present in that right sided 8 position so Klopp must be relaxed about that. So what is it that this current setup gives Trent and gives us, that we'd lose if we were to just move him into a position where he'd naturally take up all the positions he's taking up anyway from RB.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #8583 on: January 18, 2022, 10:18:18 am »
I was one of the people asking the question about whether we wanted to find ways of moving him into positions where he could be more dangerous, given the principle that you want your best creators of picking up the ball in the most dangerous positions as often as possible. Once you start asking that question it makes the, 'should we move him into midfield' shouts a lot more sensible, albeit still heavily hypothetical. After all, the 'why would you move the best RB in the world to another position' argument is pretty compelling. Plus, Klopp has probably killed even the idle non serious speculation forever given his comments about Trent as an 8 for England a few months back. But this positional tweak is interesting. Whilst not moving him from RB we have definitely found ways of moving him into '8 like' positions at points. What I want to ask Klopp about is this; why does playing him as an 8 not work but doing what we're doing with him does work? Because in some ways it'd be much easier on us tactically (and make us less brittle defensively) if we just shifted positions around so Trent was the 8 and someone else was the RB. Our current positional fluidity, and the tactical discipline it requires, seems a little unnecessary in some ways if it's primarily motivated by getting Trent into more '8' like positions, wouldn't it be simpler to just move him there. I don't think he has the press resistance and ability to play in tight spaces that we'd want from an 8, but then Henderson definitely doesn't and he's an ever present in that right sided 8 position so Klopp must be relaxed about that. So what is it that this current setup gives Trent and gives us, that we'd lose if we were to just move him into a position where he'd naturally take up all the positions he's taking up anyway from RB.
Interesting thoughts. I think the issue with playing him as an 8 is that I'm not sure he has the dribbling skill and immediate close control needed in that area when it's more congested - being a full back with a midfielder ahead naturally lends itself to positions from which you can overlap or move into more space to pick a cross or pass. Technically from a passing position Trent is capable, but it's a big thing to ask a player to suddenly completely change position and what you're requesting of them.

Trent isn't the strongest or best defensively (though better than he's given credit for in the media) so I'm not sure how he'd do if tasked with being in a 180 role like an 8. It would be interesting to see but I'm not sure it does make us less brittle.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8584 on: January 18, 2022, 11:10:01 am »
He has some stuff to learn still, when he drifts into that position. There were several instances against Brentford when he became very static in the midfield area, presumably inexperienced in the movements an 8 can make to help his teammates; on one occasion in particular, Henderson outside of him was desperate for him to make the looping overlap run back out wide, that Henderson himself would have made for Trent in the same position, but Trent was entirely still, forcing Henderson to go back to Matip.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8585 on: January 18, 2022, 11:48:17 am »

Yup hes taking more shots from pretty hopeless positions which isn't great. (always becomes a bigger problem when a player has one actually go in)
He might be having the best creative season by a full back in the history of modern football .... he should just keep doing that

Offline Carras Left Foot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8586 on: January 20, 2022, 09:25:26 pm »
Confident he will go down as one of our best ever. Just a ridiculously talented player.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8587 on: January 20, 2022, 09:31:00 pm »
Hes no Kyle Walker

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8588 on: January 20, 2022, 09:37:52 pm »
The best full back in the sports history.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8589 on: January 20, 2022, 09:38:51 pm »
He's up there with the best rightbacks ever this lad.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8590 on: January 20, 2022, 09:38:56 pm »
I’m just not sure if he makes the England squad in November…

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8591 on: January 20, 2022, 09:39:07 pm »
Football computer.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #8592 on: January 20, 2022, 09:40:22 pm »
Not sure you can call him a right back any longer, he just goes there when he’s having a rest from playing centre midfield.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8593 on: January 20, 2022, 09:40:56 pm »
It's insane how much better he is than any full back currently playing. He's clearly the best footballer England have produced in decades.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8594 on: January 20, 2022, 09:42:31 pm »
Never seen anything like him. He's playing a different game to everyone else when he's on it.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8595 on: January 20, 2022, 09:43:16 pm »
Back to his best this last couple of matches. He just plays a different sport compared to any other fullback in the league.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8596 on: January 20, 2022, 09:43:26 pm »
Outlandish ability in his right foot and the left ain't too bad either.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8597 on: January 20, 2022, 09:47:10 pm »
Never seen anything like him. He's playing a different game to everyone else when he's on it.

He really is. Honestly as someone who's played RB quite a bit in my amateur playing days, I'm just in awe of him.

I always preferred playing LB (a little like Cancelo does imo) as the pitch is open for you. It's so easy to get penned in at RB but Trent makes it look so easy.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8598 on: January 20, 2022, 09:47:16 pm »
Just Trent doing Trent things.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8599 on: January 20, 2022, 09:49:31 pm »
Back to his best this last couple of matches. He just plays a different sport compared to any other fullback in the league.
His passing is just outstanding. You have to compare him to players like Pirlo, not full backs. Even Gerrard couldn't delivernthe ball so precisely with this consistency.