Author Topic: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico  (Read 575268 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: James Milner - The man who's involved in lots of the goal things
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2016, 12:14:50 am »
7 goals 14 assists. That's not bad that is.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2016, 12:23:02 am »
If he can play like this against Villareal we`ll have a chance because Origi, Can and Henderson injuries are massive blows.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2016, 12:24:16 am »

That's more than 99% of ppl would've predicted coming into the season.  He's produced so much for us.

Online Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2016, 12:27:28 am »

It's very good.

Been said before in this thread but he is Kuyt mk.2. Really frustrating at times but when the chips are down in a big game he's a player you want in the team. It might not always be pretty but he knows what it takes to win those crunch games that can have a massive effect on how your season looks at the end.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:30 am »
He's very good in the final third; excellent linking up with attackers. 8 more assists than Ozil in 2016! Have that.  :)
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2016, 12:53:14 am »
Probably just a different slant on the word technical, but am I alone in thinking Milner is technically very good? He's not the quickest and won't go blazing past people that often, but he has two great feet (when crossing from open play at least), he's more than capable of buying himself a yard to get a cross in and his general control and passing are very good. He's not a tricky player, but he is very solid and has been underated for years.

Being very good at one skill makes you technically limited, I think?

His passing is definitely nothing to write home about. In our squad he'd rank behind .. lessee? Coutinho Sturridge Henderson Allen Firmino Lallana? Can't remember the last time a Milner pass was raved about. His general control is competent. Better than Kuyt's (who to be fair, wasn't as bad as people made him out to be).

Online Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2016, 01:06:32 am »

His passing is definitely nothing to write home about. In our squad he'd rank behind .. lessee? Coutinho Sturridge Henderson Allen Firmino Lallana? Can't remember the last time a Milner pass was raved about. His general control is competent. Better than Kuyt's (who to be fair, wasn't as bad as people made him out to be).

Just as a starter the little touch back for Coutinho's goal against Dortmund was brilliant Under that kind of pressure it would be so easy to bobble the ball over to him on his wrong foot but instead he pretty much served the shot up on a plate.

As far as I'm concerned the two crosses tonight were as good as any through ball. They were both absolutely perfect.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2016, 01:18:55 am »
He's the type of player every squad needs and when he's playing this well he's the kind of player every team needs. Gritty, smart, effective, industrious and directly has a hand in goals.

« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2016, 04:11:37 am »
For a right footed player, he's very good at crossing with his left!

Tempted to say better at it than most left footed players as well ;D
Bastion of invincibility

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2016, 04:41:15 am »

Suarez vs. Depor?

:D

Milner's been a quality signing. I think there's a record of me saying we should have bought him, on here or TIA, made in around 2004  8)

Better late than never!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:44:01 am by Believe »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2016, 06:16:03 am »
But.. he's an overrated English player (by the same people "didn't care about nationalities), could've gotten better abroad for less (he's on free transfer with a salary justified by this contribution).
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2016, 06:19:48 am »
He's also incredibly athletic, has fitness levels that are off the chart and is evidently an incredible pro. He could conceivably have another five years+ in him at his top level, without any doubt.

Credit BR and/or the TC

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2016, 07:31:45 am »
Hulk
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2016, 07:31:46 am »
Just as a starter the little touch back for Coutinho's goal against Dortmund was brilliant Under that kind of pressure it would be so easy to bobble the ball over to him on his wrong foot but instead he pretty much served the shot up on a plate.

As far as I'm concerned the two crosses tonight were as good as any through ball. They were both absolutely perfect.
Very nice, and also very typical of a winger.
Manager after manager have rated him, manager after manager have used him mainly on the wing. As a central mid, I think he's quite average.
There's nothing wrong with that.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2016, 07:44:18 am »
Brilliant contribution again last night but again just highlighted what his role should be for us. Not in a million years is he a centre midfielder but get him in the final third making those little runs to the byline and he is a quality player to have.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2016, 07:49:42 am »
Brilliant contribution again last night but again just highlighted what his role should be for us. Not in a million years is he a centre midfielder but get him in the final third making those little runs to the byline and he is a quality player to have.

Agree totally. I don't like him in CM but on the wing he's very good, as he had shown for City in the past.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2016, 08:16:40 am »
It's very good.

Been said before in this thread but he is Kuyt mk.2. Really frustrating at times but when the chips are down in a big game he's a player you want in the team. It might not always be pretty but he knows what it takes to win those crunch games that can have a massive effect on how your season looks at the end.

I loved Dirk as a player, was one of my favourites but I feel comparing Milner to him is lazy and almost insulting to Milner's technical ability. My bedroom wall has a better touch than Dirk. The only possible comparison is that Milner has a great engine as well. The main reason behind Milner's high goals and assist stat is that he is a technically very good player. Dirk was great at popping up in the right place at the right time due to sheer hard work and a footballing brain, but Milner is on another level technically and is in no way comparable. Imo, of course.

Cracking player, hopefully sticks around for a few more years yet. Got to get him playing on the wing a bit more, though. His delivery is fucking brilliant. With either foot, too. Really glad for him as well as he has had shit off loads of 'fans' about him supposedly being a shit player and a laughable choice as vice captain. Well, he fucking isn't. Can't believe people didn't think he would suit Klopp's system either? When we first got Klopp, Milner was one of the first players who popped into my head that would excel in it and Klopp would love.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2016, 08:21:57 am »
It his defensive mechanism, shite corner after shite corner, then BANG, worldie cross after worldie cross.

Maybe it turns out he has been left-footed all along but managed to disguise is so well over the years. His left foot crossing is remarkably good when it's supposed to be his weaker foot. :p

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2016, 08:56:07 am »
He's a good player, especially when he's given more freedom to attack and roam around, the same is true of Henderson. I think Milner should play in a three man midfield ideally, where can help out defensively with good pressing and great energy, as well as linking up with the forwards when we attack. He scores and is involved in a very good number of goals, but I don't think he's as good in a midfield two. He can't really control the game with his passing, and his positioning isn't the best either. If we continue with a 4-2-3-1 more often than not he's a very good option for the '3' rather than the '2'.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2016, 08:57:07 am »
Been thinking the same. and he's done it before as well. I'm sure he's right footed.

The real mystery is, why can't he take corners
Not the first player like that. Alonso was perhaps the best passer I've seen in LFC - could hit perfect 40 yard passes while moving. Yet his set pieces were very average.     

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2016, 09:14:42 am »
Is it true he's got the third most assists in Europe (after a certain two players at Barcelona) this season or have i been fooled by another internet meme?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:36 am »
Is it true he's got the third most assists in Europe (after a certain two players at Barcelona) this season or have i been fooled by another internet meme?

I think that stat is in 2016 rather than the season.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:58 am »
Has really grown on me.

Such an important cog in the machine.

And 11 Premier League Assists.........fantastic return

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2016, 09:41:41 am »
He has a big role to play this and next season. Even if he's not a guaranteed starter next year.

But good signing Rodgers.

To be fair Rodgers didn't do too badly last summer apart from Benteke
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline tomtom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:34 am »

Consistent passer, but rarely defense splitting. Fair enough, your right about that.

I think his two footed ability and crossing have just really impressed me, which I'd put down to good technique, but your correct saying he's also limited in other areas. So I'm going to go with saying he's technically very good... but only in some aspects of his game! :)

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2016, 10:30:53 am »

He's the only one of our central midfielders capable of producing those kind of numbers. That's why when he is fit, and everyone else, Klopp will always try and find a place for him. It's why he's rarely substituted when we are struggling.

I was pleased with the signing originally, then struggled to see what he brought to the side. Now he's chipping in with vital contributions, fair fucks to him.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2016, 10:34:07 am »
He's the only one of our central midfielders capable of producing those kind of numbers. That's why when he is fit, and everyone else, Klopp will always try and find a place for him. It's why he's rarely substituted when we are struggling.

I was pleased with the signing originally, then struggled to see what he brought to the side. Now he's chipping in with vital contributions, fair fucks to him.

It's as much mental strength as anything.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2016, 10:41:31 am »
It's as much mental strength as anything.

agree with this - milner is very strong in this department. will never go hiding even if he's not started the game well.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:37 am »

Pretty sure Henderson got 7 goals 15 assists last year

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:28 am »
Played the first half last night like he grew up on Breck Road.
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2016, 11:54:39 am »
I think he has been our man of the match our last three games. Contributed with two assists against Stoke, Dortmund and now Everton. Brilliant player.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2016, 11:55:02 am »

Firmino's passing has been sloppy recently and Sturridge's passing isn't better than Milner's.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2016, 03:24:41 pm »
I said it before - he was always City's most consistent performer in big games, the man who'd step up. I also thought he'd be the best signing we made this season, which I suppose is debatable, but he's been in a fantastic patch of form recently, hasn't he?
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2016, 04:36:53 pm »

On a bad team.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 22, 2016, 08:28:53 am »
Contributed 21 goals this season. No one would have thought that was possible when he joined and he's been fantastic. Up there with our best performers for sure. Talking of player of the season I would have it as follows (all personal opinion of course):

1. Clyne
2. Coutinho
3. Milner
4. Firmino
5. Can

Offline perky_01

• Kemlynite
  • Klopparberg and a bottle of Jurgenmeister please!
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2016, 08:53:30 am »

Henderson's total stats for last season were 7 goals and 9 assists, which is not a bad return, but we should ideally be expecting better from a player of his quality.

Regarding the discussion - plain and simple, Milner has matched my expectations for the season so far. He has the engine, a bit of pace, nice skill in and around the box with good interplay and excellent crossing. We knew what we were getting when we got him. And I for one have enjoyed every second.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
James Milner - The man who's involved in lots of the goal things
« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2016, 09:40:17 am »
Considering Henderson took a lot less set pieces and offers more defensively (IMO) I think his return was comparable to Milner's, neither in the slightest bit disappointing. I'd be made up if Hendo matched his 2014/15 contribution while Milner match his 2015/16 next season. That'd be a hell of a midfield pairing.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2016, 09:58:28 am »
Considering Henderson took a lot less set pieces and offers more defensively (IMO) I think his return was comparable to Milner's, neither in the slightest bit disappointing. I'd be made up if Hendo matched his 2014/15 contribution while Milner match his 2015/16 next season. That'd be a hell of a midfield pairing.

But that pairing didn't work. Milner's blossoming in the last few games is probably related to Henderson's disappearance.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #198 on: April 22, 2016, 10:20:24 am »
But that pairing didn't work. Milner's blossoming in the last few games is probably related to Henderson's disappearance.

When have they played as a pair? Can only be a handful of games they've played as a 2 if at all as Can has played every game

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #199 on: April 22, 2016, 10:49:42 am »
When have they played as a pair? Can only be a handful of games they've played as a 2 if at all as Can has played every game

It's true. They've played as part of a three. Not too successfully. I dread to think what they'd achieve as just a pair.

Milner's a fine player though - and a spirited one. He'd thrive in whatever formation Klopp chose, so long as he had players of skill and pace around him. He was even excellent at left back at Old Trafford, though I'm sure he'd prefer never to play there again.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.