Author Topic: Sissoko - Part Man Part Machine.....The Making of a Liverpool Legend  (Read 17850 times)

Offline Cally77=Indigo

• Kemlynite
When Mohamed Sissoko signed for Liverpool, the reaction of many fans was one of glee.......... mixed with a small measure of cynicism.

Glee because we'd just snatched him from under the noses of Everton.........But cynicism towards the comparisons made by Benitez to arguably the best defensive midfielder to play in the premiership - Patrick Viera.

To quote Benitez : "No, he is not as good as Viera..... He is better than Viera was at that age"

Usually such bold claims provoke excitement from fans.

Not Liverpool's.

For years under Houllier we had been well and truly trained out of the art of expectation, by a manager who told us every season we'd just signed the new Zidane, Henry, Platini, and Viera.

Unfortunately for us, Cheryou never quite materialsed into the next Zinadine, Cisse didn't quite live up to his "New Henry" billing, Le Tallec's performances almost saw us embroiled in a law suit with platini for slander...... and Diao?.... well......he was black, I'll give Houllier that. But The similarities with Viera started and ended just about there.

Benitez is no Houllier, and whilst he was given the benefit of the doubt about his claims, it was pretty much impossible for Liverpool fans to shake the feeling that our Gaffa was just preparing himself for an almighty Houllier-style belly flop by making public his lofty expectations of the young Malian.

That was before he made his debut......

Sissoko spent his first 90 minutes in a Liverpool jersey single handedly dismantling the entire Middlesbrough midfield.

No sooner had the final whistle blown on the premiership curtain raiser, than all fears of Benitez being another Mystic Houllier, and Sissoko ever being a flop, were well and truly put to bed.

His first season at Anfield saw him earn man of the match award after man of the match award. His energy Boundless, His consistency frightening. To say he was a hit with the fans would be like saying the Beatles went down o.k in the states.

His omission from the young player of the year competition drew gasps of disbelief from Benitez and the Liverpool faithful alike.

Maybe nobody within the FA thought he was eligible, such were the maturity of his displays.

Besides, Liverpool fans have never been ones to take much notice of the same national awards which have failed consistently to award Jamie Carragher with any sort of acclaim over the years, and who's recognition of Steven gerrard as a better player than Fwank - Thuper Goals- Lampard only came after the rest of the world had long since realised.

His signing was hailed as a masterstroke by Benitez. His status amongst the Anfield faithful solidified.

Then came that shocking night in Portugal.

Collapsing under a challenge from a Benfica player in Liverpool's champions league game, Sissoko was stretchered from the field. Reports emanating from the touchline suggested he had a nasty cut round his eye.

As his condition became more and more apparent, the news leaked to the Liverpool fans that Mohamed Sissoko might suffer permanent sight loss in one eye, and never play football again.

The impact this had on Liverpool's fans underlined the esteem in which he was held. The fact Liverpool's loss as a football club was very much secondary was testament to the place in their hearts his gut busting selfless performances had won.

His condition became of paramount importance. Every waking hour was spent trying to find out what the latest news was, with every eye expert's analysis scrutinized to see what the chances of a full recovery where.

What happened next cemented Mohamed's place in Liverpool folklore, and assured him cult hero status amongst the fans.

Staging a recovery on a par with that seen in Istanbul, Sissoko returned to action against Birmingham City in the FA cup just weeks later.

Equipped with a pair of glasses to protect his eye, many fans wondered what psychological impact the injury he had admitted "terrified" him, would have.

Minutes into the game he gave an insight into his character, the like of which no 90 minutes worth of running could provide.

He took the glasses from his head, threw them to the touchline, and proceeded to receive rapturous applause by throwing himself fearlessly into every challenge that presented itself. As if he'd never been away.

Earlier this season he suffered another serious injury. Nowhere near as severe as the one which threatened to partially blind him, and thus end his career, but serious enough to keep him out for months.

His return to the spotlight couldn't have found a bigger stage - Barcelona in the Nou Camp.

The question marks where different this time. Now we were not wondering whether he would be able to play again, or whether he would be suffering psychologically, but whether he could come into such a massive game after such a lengthy lay off, having had just a single warm up against the likes of Nicky Butt and Nobby Solano, and be ready to engage in battle with Ronaldinho, Xavi, Deco, and Messi.

Every time, it seems, such questions are asked of him, he responds in his usual manner - By demonstrating he is the very epitome of the term "enforcer".

Quite what this lad has for breakfast of a morning I don't know. Whether he has mechanically operated body parts is another mystery. But whatever the hell makes him able to come back from a serious injury, a four month lay off, and run a full marathon around the Nou Camp shutting down such a world class midfield, I'm glad he's got it, and I, like every right minded red out there, am incredibly grateful we've got him.

At a club which has produced so many Legends, Mohamed Sissoko is on his way to securing his status amongst them.

If anyone deserves a run without injury it's this lad, yet he picked up another tonight. Hopefully it's not too serious, because his presence is of paramount importance if Liverpool are to progress into the later stages of the Champions league.

In Liverpool's biggest game of the season so far, he was, for me, Man of the Match..

It isn't the first time I've said that, and it won't be the last.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:57:35 pm by Indigo »

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
Re: Sissoko - Part Man Part Machine.....The Making of a Liverpool Legend
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:05:12 am »
Great read and some good points. Did you write it?

Its scary to think how young he is... its only a matter of time before some people say 'he cant pass ect'  Yes these are weak parts of his game but he is improving and will only get better and better.

After 3'ish months out and to put in a man of the match performance was fucking brilliant

Offline redman1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Biggedy biggedy bong so it is
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 03:09:20 am »
Just sat in a hotel in Barcelona,  ;D  i cant sleep.  Momo was immense tonight and for me we would have not had a chance in this game without him, his break up play in midfield tonight was second to none.
The greatest night of my life so far

25/05/2005 Attaturk Stadium, Istanbul

North Tribune    Block 306   Row 13   Seat  343

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:12:25 am »
Some first post mate...Great read.  And I absolutely agree; the man is part machine...
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline Cally77=Indigo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 03:17:13 am »

I did. Nice one.

I personally think the passing thing is grossly exaggerated, and mainly by those who hang on to a cliche that has been created, regardless of how much evidence there is of change.

Put it this way, I doubt very much Benitez would have him anywhere near the club if his passing was as bad as some people would have it.

Sometimes his eagerness gets the better of him, but that is becoming increasingly rare. Technique wise, there is little wrong with his passing ability at all. Alonso has given some really needless possession away quite a few times in recent games, yet it draws little reaction.

Part and parcel of football I suppose.

Like I say, he's still a young lad, but one with phenomenal potential.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 03:33:10 am »
Fantastic article, I hope to God his injury isn't serious. The only thing that could stop this man from becoming one of the best players on the globe is injuries..   :-\
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline weiteck

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 03:52:35 am »
Brilliant article and I agree with all the points made. Momo was a giant tonight!

Has anything been written on the extent of his injury yet? Dying to know how he's doing.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 03:54:11 am »
Top article, sir. The guy is a one man wrecking ball!!! He was on a search and destroy mission tonight, there's no doubting that!

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 04:04:05 am »
great read, agree with you all the way...Momo Is Boss, he truly is!
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 04:20:26 am »
Momo Bomaye! Momo Bomaye!

an awesome player, and as shown tonight distribution wise nowhere near as bad as his detractors make out. i counted twice he gave away the ball tonight, and i'm being particularly harsh in that i'm counting tackles which ricocheted
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 04:20:27 am »
Last night the commentaters were saying that "Rafa will have to sub Sissoko soon(in the 60th minute) because has done wonderfully well but he isn't a machine and is just back from injury"...  then just before he was injured they said "where does he get this energy from?"

Made laugh that.  ;D

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 04:41:58 am »
Love him to bits, hes fuckin awesome. Ballack still has nightmares

Offline Malski

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:46:48 am »
Sissoko was Outstanding, he was absoluely quality.  Also Carra was immense.  Fuck it eveyone was.

Offline Lanky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 07:48:09 am »
Any news on the injury?
Martin Skrtel does not sleep. He waits.

Offline spion - kzn

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 08:20:40 am »
Quality post.

Momo the Nightstalker.

Offline Mikie

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 08:28:27 am »
Love the boy to bits but the way he plays he is always going to be on the receiving end of some injuries.  Shame but what he did last night was amazing. 

That ref, wtf.  There was many a good tackle.

We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us.

Offline Jokerfish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Nothing to see here move along now.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 08:32:04 am »
Momo is boss, get well soon lad

Offline Scully

• Clunge Bag
  • Legacy Fan
  • Libpool born and bred.
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 08:34:03 am »
Hope that performance reminds some of the idiots on this board just what a player he is.

Top notch (as per usual).  Hope the injury is not too serious.
Every Trefoil has a story

In the 1980's UK cities saw the terraces full of three stripes as the football 'Casuals' developed an obsession for trainers and styles such as Rom, Forest Hills and Samba.

Offline Fivealive

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 08:47:29 am »
I Remember the curtain opener for the season the charity shield, Momo was immense aka last night on that day Momo introduced the so called world class Ballack to the EPL I don’t think he has recovered from the battering ever since. I tell you what as well some people spout crap about him not being able to pass last night his passing was good he has improved loads, obviously Rafa has got Stevie, Xabi and the coaches to help him with this part of his game.

Momo is a monster.
 :o

Offline RO-mania

• Main Stander
  • In Istanbul We Won It 5 Times
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 08:57:09 am »

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 09:03:18 am »
What a first post! Well done mate!

Momo was brilliant yesterday. He was everywhere once again. Momo is boss!

Offline cashmoney

• I look into a mirror holding a knife in my fist
  • Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 09:10:09 am »
Momo was brilliant. At his destructive best

Over in TIA I call him Momodinho so I found it quite fitting that he snapped at Ronaldinho all game

However........

A couple of moves broke down because he undercooked some passes.  It didnt matter in the end but it is still somethign that needs to be worked on

Offline TheHulk

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:27 am »
The lad was immense. Never let Barca settle on the ball. Hopefully we don't lose him through injury or suspension if we make it to the later stages of the competition.

Momo is boss, love it!!

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 09:13:04 am »
at uefa.com Momo was named MOTM!
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/motm/md=7/day=2.html

i agree with that completly.

great post mate, just waiting to hear about his injury news now hope nothing major this time :-\
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 09:22:03 am »
he really will be WORLD class within a couple of years, and comparisons to Veira are justified. I beleive he will be better than he was at his peak. and like Rafa says he is already better now then PV was at his age

great read there mate
SoS #364

Offline bondjon

• Kopite
  • It's time to dish out some hard but fair tackling
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 09:32:33 am »
Excellent first post and a good read.

It was his second game back from injury though - he played against Newcastle. Sorry to be a Kaiser!
Hey! Hey you! You watch line yeah?

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 09:37:02 am »
as first posts go..... in fact as any posts go, its a top read. Fair play to ya, mate.

He was immense last night. Pissed Ronaldinho and Deco off no end. Did gave away a few too many freekicks, but when ya have players of that skill against you, its to be expected.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 10:03:56 am »
Sissoko - Part Man Part Machine.....The Making of a Liverpool Legend

Unfortunately he's powered by Microsoft and he keeps crashing.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 10:11:29 am »
In Liverpool's biggest game of the season so far, he was, for me, Man of the Match..

Me too. Although Bellamy is a close second. A goal and an assist would normally make him MoM, but Sissoko produced a tremendous performance and it's a shame he had to go off...

How long have we got without him? Any news? All the news seems to be about bloody John Terry and we haven't heard anything about Momo so far.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline streetartist

• Kemlynite
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 10:12:05 am »
From physioroom
Sissoko-akle-no return date
:(

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 10:16:11 am »
From physioroom
Sissoko-akle-no return date
:(

Shit..... Not good at all...

Thank god we signed Mascherano, although he's more of an Alonso-type player than a Sissoko one.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 10:28:45 am »
Played really well last night, hope he's not out for long, we really miss him.

Offline Corki

• Anny Roader
  • "It's never the wrong time to do the right thing"
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 10:31:57 am »
he really will be WORLD class within a couple of years, and comparisons to Veira are justified. I believe he will be better than he was at his peak. and like Rafa says he is already better now then PV was at his age

great read there mate

Look Momo was fantastic last night, and no doubt he has huge potential, but comparisons with Viera or perhaps Keane are still a bit premature, yes they were both aggressive destroyer type midfielders with great engines the same as Momo, but look what they contributed to attack, they were much better passers and also chipped in with goals, lets calm down a bit and watch him grow and hopefully he will turn out to be a 'World Class' player like Viera and Keane proved they were over a sustained period of TIME.
We need to find the link between our traditions and our present experience. Nowness, or the magic of the present moment, is what joins the wisdom of the past with the present.

Offline monkeyboy1579

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 10:32:29 am »

:duh Quality  :lmao 

Fingers crossed it's not that serious and he will back quickly!!
"Full price for gum?! That dog won't hunt, monsignor."

Offline BoltonRed

• OOTer in a non footballing township... Android Meff
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • 'Making Us Dream' ..................Again.
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 10:41:49 am »

Can we get him a 'MAC' upgrade????

It's true we do see him as invincible, as he was getting treatment last night the missus said it doesn't look good, I said they'll get him off the pitch, saw his foot off at the ankle, bandage to sort the bleeding and then send him back out.  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:47:43 am by BoltonRed »
Ah shut it yer fucking fanny. Sorry to upset you, but we're going to twat these c*nts. The only fluke will be that we don't rupture our collective banjo strings from the dry bumming we're giving these tonight.

Offline Moley

• Virgin, apparently...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice to mole you....I mean meet you
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 10:42:31 am »
Good post bar the minor factual mistakes.

Momo got his eye injury in his debut season, and made his latest return from injury against Newcastle.

At least I think im right (hard to believe this is just his second season!)
BETFAIR REFERRAL CODE:  6GRRJ3CQV

Money for me and you!!

Offline AndreasP

• Boys Pen
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 10:43:52 am »
Great post man! Perhaps Rafa's best buy...

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 10:51:47 am »
David Moyes and Co must be pig sick.
Kenny Godglish

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 10:54:04 am »
David Moyes and Co must be pig sick.

Yes well, to paraphrase Mr Benitez you don't talk about a player until he's in the bag :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 10:54:34 am »
What happened to Momo ? Couldn't really see from the Gods at Barca. Was it in a tackle with Ronaldinho ?