Author Topic: Ray Kennedy has died RIP  (Read 8414 times)

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ray Kennedy has died RIP
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2021, 09:31:11 pm »
So sorry to hear about this. Really am. I never saw Ray play, but as a Liverpool enthusiast as a boy and learning my history, I know about the joy he brought for Liverpool and Arsenal. Thoughts go to those closest to him and all those that watched him play and loved him so. Rest in Peace Ray.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:35:35 pm by red1977 »

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2021, 09:40:16 pm »
Sad to hear that Ray passed away. Was always highly thought of.

RIP Ray :(

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2021, 09:46:42 pm »
RIP Ray. YNWA.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2021, 09:54:34 pm »
One of my heroes as a kid and an absolute class footballer.  It was fuckin criminal that he only got 17 international caps and how Trevor Brooking constantly got picked over him is beyond me.  RIP Ray. 

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2021, 10:17:06 pm »
I loved Ray Kennedy when he played for Arsenal. The double side. What a team. He was an inside left then. Just off Radford. Imagine my delight when he came to us! We turned him into the best left midfield player I've ever seen. He was 'poetry in motion.'

RIP Ray, lad.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:56:46 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2021, 10:36:25 pm »
One of my heroes as a kid and an absolute class footballer.  It was fuckin criminal that he only got 17 international caps and how Trevor Brooking constantly got picked over him is beyond me.  RIP Ray.
Read a book years ago by Ray Kennedy, or more likely ghost written.
Said when he came to Liverpool Keegan was the star. First training, Keegan shimmies and goes right. Then Keegan shimmies and goes left. Third time Ray stands still and Keegan is fucked. Caused a bit of tension, so Keegan told Ron Greenwood he preferred linking with Trevor Brooking.
Couple of other things from the same book, when Dalglish joined Kennedy tried the same thing, but whatever he did Dalglish went past him. I honestly got the impression that Kenny was the only player he would accept as being better than him.

Also, he was slightly - maybe a bit more - upset that Alan Kennedy behind was related to him as he felt no-one in his family could have such limited footballing ability as Alan Kennedy.

I will try to rediscover the book and link it. and the above stories I have always recalled as being written with humour.

One of the true greats.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:18 pm »
A great player full of class and composure. Sad news. RIP Ray.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2021, 11:38:48 pm »
RIP Ray what a player he was
Those 5 golden seasons from 75/76 - 80/81 almost unbeatable, crushed every team in Europe for 3 consecutive seasons. And he was such a huge part of it, majestic, glorious, a true great. 

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2021, 11:40:35 pm »
Too Young  >:(

RIP Ray.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #129 on: December 1, 2021, 12:09:09 am »
Great Man, Great Player will be sadly missed.

RIP Ray.

YNWA.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #130 on: December 1, 2021, 01:05:01 am »
RIP, Ray.

Absolute Legend.

You'll Never Walk Alone.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 1, 2021, 01:09:22 am »
So sad to hear, an absolute icon.

RIP Ray, thoughts with the family.

You'll never walk alone.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 1, 2021, 01:15:20 am »
Growing up the stories I heard of his brilliance are unforgettable.

Rest in peace Ray. A true great
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #133 on: December 1, 2021, 02:09:42 am »
RIP Ray.

As many have said a true giant for us. The crucial left side of the greatest midfield foursome we’ve ever seen at this club and arguably the finest anywhere.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #134 on: December 1, 2021, 02:38:15 am »
A true Liverpool legend.  Hopefully in a better place now.  RIP Ray.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 1, 2021, 04:00:25 am »
Loved the man, my favourite Liverpool player of all time. I can still remember his wonderful goal against Brentford in the league cup in 74. Just looked up the match, Clemence, Smith, Hughes, Hall and now Ray have all past on.

Offline bahrainexpat

• Knows it's cocktail hour. Just not sure which day it is.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #136 on: December 1, 2021, 07:46:30 am »
RIP Ray

Thank you for playing a major role in one of the happiest memories of my life, the St. Etienne game. I would swear on oath that the earth really did move under my feet that night.

You were some player.

YNWA

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 1, 2021, 08:06:43 am »
RIP Ray,YNWA.

See you on the other side.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #138 on: December 1, 2021, 08:09:20 am »
That's a really rough life to get such a disease at age 33. That's what I'm thinking about more than anything else.

RIP
Linudden.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #139 on: December 1, 2021, 09:23:27 am »
When I grew up, everyone went for Kenny as their hero, for me it was always Ray, there was just something about that bold white number 5, on a red shirt, carried by a very upright, yet wonderfully balanced joy of a player - that was Ray Kennedy.
When people pick their best Liverpool eleven, everyone puts Barnes on the left, I always have Ray.

Bob Paisley tells a story about Ray being the player most managers tried to sign from him, even other mangers recognised his brilliance and that was what he was - a dependable brilliant genius with a touch like silk and a shot like dynamite. He was poetry in motion.

In latter years The Ray of Hope charity was a fitting an wonderful gesture for this club legend and I am more than convinced, there will be Arsenal fans tonight as broken hearted as this Ray Kennedy, fan is.

Goodnight and god bless Ray Kennedy, my hero. X

Nice tribute. You find your true heros whilst you’re still young, and they never change even as other great players come and go. He’ll never be forgotten by supporters of our age. Immortalised forever through his sheer brilliance.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #140 on: December 1, 2021, 09:43:53 am »
Before my time but from what I read he was a classy elegant midfielder and former striker. Fantastic spot by Bill Shankly to take him to Anfield and by Bob Paisley to see his potential as a midfielder. Kennedy, Case and McDermott all left inside 12 months between 81-82. Even though medicals were primitive compared to what we have now I'm always amazed his Parkinson's wasn't flagged up when he went to sign for Swansea. He was diagnosed in 84.

It is a great tribute to the human spirit that for 37 years Ray lived with this debilitating condition and kept going. To be a legend at one club is special to be one at two is remarkable. RIP Ray.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #141 on: December 1, 2021, 09:46:39 am »
RIP

:(

A true great.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #142 on: December 1, 2021, 09:47:23 am »
Case, McDermott, Souness, Kennedy....my God! what a midfield..Titans!...Ray probably classiest footballer of them..sweet left foot , but got stuck in too.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #143 on: December 1, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
Some pix from Emma Case, Jimmy's daughter.

https://twitter.com/EmmaCase/status/1465790869752225795

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 1, 2021, 11:57:00 am »
Case and Kennedy bezzy mates...recall them getting into a bit of punch up with some locals in north wales hotel...which may have moved allong their exit...memory not 100% on this

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 1, 2021, 11:58:19 am »
More tears after seeing those lovely pics of Jimmy and Ray.

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #146 on: December 1, 2021, 12:01:54 pm »
Lots of good stuff has been posted already, but I thought I'd chip another great comp of the great man into the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8jNcjpCYg

RIP Ray.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 1, 2021, 12:02:51 pm »
Some pix from Emma Case, Jimmy's daughter.

Gorgeous kit.  Love how battered and dented the league title trophy is too. :D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 1, 2021, 12:21:20 pm »
Case and Kennedy bezzy mates...recall them getting into a bit of punch up with some locals in north wales hotel...which may have moved allong their exit...memory not 100% on this

Aye, I think Bob thought it was time to split them up after that. I seem to remember it was with the hotel owner and his son because they wanted to close the bar !

A colossus of a player, deceptive pace and undoubted power and yet so light on his feet and with the deftest of touches. And as others have said, part of the greatest midfield quartet ever to play for LFC.

Thanks for the memories Ray. RIP.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #149 on: December 1, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »
Oh, such sad news....been tearful since hearing of it last night. Chopper's tribute was so fitting - a wonderful player with a sweet left foot and he had the ability to receive a ball, strike it first time and score from a colleague's pass and as Bob Paisley said - so underrated.

Condolences to all his family and friends. RIP Ray.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #150 on: December 1, 2021, 01:17:24 pm »
Aye, I think Bob thought it was time to split them up after that. I seem to remember it was with the hotel owner and his son because they wanted to close the bar !

A colossus of a player, deceptive pace and undoubted power and yet so light on his feet and with the deftest of touches. And as others have said, part of the greatest midfield quartet ever to play for LFC.

Thanks for the memories Ray. RIP.

Lots of stories about the two were embellished

Tony Evans writing in the Independent the “bully in chief” Tommy Smith welcomed him to Liverpool with a tackle in training and they squared up so Bob decided to put them apart on the pitch and moved him back.

Fact. Paisley didn’t switch Ray to left half until 1976

So that welcome from Smith was either two years late or Bob took his time.
And surely moving Ray from Centre forward back into midfield actually brought them closer?

The truth is he was a world class player. Perhaps his strong character was too much for Ron Greenwood who preferred the much lesser talent of Brooking. Funny how Brooking got a knighthood when he won nowt.  It remains a disgrace that a non entities of a player like Gordon Taylor ended up displaying Ray’s medals under his glass topped desk like he had personally won them.

Ray was one of an elite band of players who won Big Ears three times. When I hear some of the nonsense talked by thick pundits about “legends”, there are very few who deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Ray. (And three of them played in that midfield with him.)
And I was fortunate to see him play!

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #151 on: December 1, 2021, 02:16:58 pm »
Brooking was a great player. Did win two FA cups and scored in the final so he didnt win nothing.

His knighthood, tbf he always comes across as a gent and was a great ambassador for football.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #152 on: December 1, 2021, 04:19:56 pm »
Brooking was a great player. Did win two FA cups and scored in the final so he didnt win nothing.

His knighthood, tbf he always comes across as a gent and was a great ambassador for football.

Dispute the word great.
Sorry mate it’s always stuck in my craw.
Kennedy was a great. At best Brooking was good.
Double winner at 19. 3 EC and leagues.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 1, 2021, 04:39:43 pm »
Lots of good stuff has been posted already, but I thought I'd chip another great comp of the great man into the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8jNcjpCYg

RIP Ray.
Fucking hell that's proper set me off, it's a glorious and heart-wrenching tribute.

His years with us spanned across the arrival and departure of some greats. Every clip illustrates this. When he's involved with Cally in one moment I said "aahh" involuntarily.

He saw it all, with all the legends of this fantastic club. Fucking hell words fail me. Nice one to everyone coming in here, your words are boss Chopper.

Offline Johann Gambolputty

• Main Stander
  • We are the Anny,Anny road end.
« Reply #154 on: December 1, 2021, 06:01:54 pm »
Ray at the 77 homecoming.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 1, 2021, 06:10:28 pm »
For anyone that’s not seen this, it’s worth a watch - Ray Kennedy: Ray of Hope: https://youtu.be/pZ_uZ5dVHdw

Not only a legendary footballer, but also a gentleman and brave, strong, humble man. He suffered in his life but belongs in mine and so many hearts as a Liverpool supporter.

Rest in peace great man
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 1, 2021, 06:11:34 pm »
sad news.RIP peace big man

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: December 1, 2021, 06:54:16 pm »
I didn't like him when he first came. Saw him as a Toshack replacement & I was a big fan of Big John. Ray never really settled up front & I didn't think he was going to make it here, then, of course, he dropped to midfield, where he excelled.

My Mum (Rest her Soul) had a soft spot for him ...'He's a lovely looking lad'!.

RIP, Ray.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 1, 2021, 07:11:13 pm »
Just watched the tribute video footage on the official LFC website. I'm still wiping the tears from eyes. Tears of sadness for his passing & also tears of happiness for all the great memories he gave old farts like me.

Shanks & Bob are putting together a great side up there.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 1, 2021, 07:15:26 pm »
I didn't like him when he first came. Saw him as a Toshack replacement & I was a big fan of Big John. Ray never really settled up front & I didn't think he was going to make it here, then, of course, he dropped to midfield, where he excelled.

My Mum (Rest her Soul) had a soft spot for him ...'He's a lovely looking lad'!.

RIP, Ray.
he was a good looking lad for sure.. my mum who i have sadly lost fancied freddie mercury wtf ,,(