Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1455215 times)

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk - IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!
« Reply #10040 on: December 2, 2021, 01:20:06 am »
Love how he makes usually confident attackers shit themselves, Richarlison one on one running at goal he could see the script already so just blazed it at goal from way out. Knew he didn’t stand a chance. Was great to watch.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10041 on: December 2, 2021, 01:35:22 am »
Love how he makes usually confident attackers shit themselves, Richarlison one on one running at goal he could see the script already so just blazed it at goal from way out. Knew he didn’t stand a chance. Was great to watch.

Was gonna post the same. Looked like a small kid seeing a big kid on the way to steal the ball so he just wellies it.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10042 on: December 2, 2021, 03:15:54 am »
Van Dijk has a way of playing chicken with attackers. Often attackers are just waiting for a defender to commit themselves so they can beat them. But Virgil waits for the attacker to commit himself instead, and while he waits he closes in on the attacker so their options are reducing by the second. If Virgil doesn't get close enough to win the ball, the normal other result is a wild shot like Richarlison's one.
Sissoko being forced to shoot on his left foot for Spurs a couple of years ago, when he really wanted to pass it to Son, remains the prime example.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #10043 on: December 2, 2021, 09:21:20 am »
Imagine booing the guy your goalkeeper assaulted and injured for a year.

Stay classy. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10044 on: December 2, 2021, 09:48:34 am »

Van Dijk has a way of playing chicken with attackers. Often attackers are just waiting for a defender to commit themselves so they can beat them. But Virgil waits for the attacker to commit himself instead, and while he waits he closes in on the attacker so their options are reducing by the second. If Virgil doesn't get close enough to win the ball, the normal other result is a wild shot like Richarlison's one.
Sissoko being forced to shoot on his left foot for Spurs a couple of years ago, when he really wanted to pass it to Son, remains the prime example.

He knows how to reduce risk eh? Don't think I've seen a defender as adept as him as doing that (amongst many other things).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10045 on: December 2, 2021, 09:53:04 am »
He knows how to reduce risk eh? Don't think I've seen a defender as adept as him as doing that (amongst many other things).
Carra was very good at it also.  He lacked Virgil's turn of pace and quality on the ball though!

I'm delighted to see Virgil back to pretty much his best.  His decision not to rush back for the Euros is looking very sensible.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10046 on: December 2, 2021, 10:03:45 am »
I admire his courage to take that freekick.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10047 on: December 2, 2021, 10:24:37 am »

Funny how Richarlison came out with this Van Dijks overrated shite a while back but when he plays him this is the result. Desperate to moam to the ref for help instead of skinning this 'overrated' player

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10048 on: December 2, 2021, 10:31:55 am »
Carra was very good at it also.  He lacked Virgil's turn of pace and quality on the ball though!

I'm delighted to see Virgil back to pretty much his best.  His decision not to rush back for the Euros is looking very sensible.

I thought Carra was ok at it and got better as he got older (as you do). Van Dijk is just so much better at it than almost anyone I've seen. He was just imperious yesterday.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10049 on: December 2, 2021, 10:33:46 am »

Carra had his moments but over commited plenty. Definitely think Sami was better at it

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10050 on: December 2, 2021, 10:48:26 am »

He beats defenders in their head just as much as does physically. I can't remember who but I heard a player who played in the Prem on about him recently on the radio and they said their confidence levels just dropped when they see Van Djik on the team sheet because they know that in the air, on the ground, speed and reading the game he is immense. And the last thing left would be to get under his skin but he was way too cool for that and that doesn't work either. He's like a human This is Anfield sign

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #10051 on: December 2, 2021, 12:55:00 pm »
I get tribalism in football and all that. Every footballfan lives in their own reality where you club is the greates and all your players cant do anything wrong and all other teams players are c*nts.

But Everton fans are something else for booing van dijk yesterday. For getting his season ended last year by their goalkeeper who didn't even get a yellow for it...

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #10052 on: December 2, 2021, 03:29:15 pm »
he used to take a few at celtic and even scored a few
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10053 on: December 2, 2021, 03:30:20 pm »

Don't think courage had anything to do with it, he just wanted REVENGE.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #10054 on: December 2, 2021, 04:07:29 pm »
I did think everyone was far too early with the ‘he’s back!’ shouts earlier in the season - he was a long way off it. But he’s certainly very close to being back now. Remarkable come back really.

He's been very good but not back to his best on a consistent basis. That's completely understandable and it may take 6-12 months to really hit the heights of 2018-2020 again. In the meantime he'll still be the best or amongst the best centre backs in World football.

Last night I thought he had a very good game except for their goal. I actually thought he was most culpable in allowing Richarlison to easy collect the ball and pick a pass. It's not a glaring mistake and one where TAA tracking Gray and Matip getting pulled out position by Rondon's run were a factor. But if Virgil just tracks Richarlison I think he plays a simple lay back away from goal and the potentially opportunity is gone for them.

Like I said Virgil played really well, as he has done for most of the season.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10055 on: December 4, 2021, 05:07:14 pm »
What a pass.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10057 on: December 4, 2021, 05:27:37 pm »
What a pass.

So smooth and effortless, yet so beautiful.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10058 on: December 4, 2021, 05:29:20 pm »
Sublime pass and he's getting better each week

That being said that bit of defending against Traore was criminal :lmao

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #10059 on: December 4, 2021, 05:32:54 pm »
By his impossibly high standards he wasn't having a great game, then.....
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10060 on: December 4, 2021, 07:33:13 pm »
That ball!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10061 on: December 5, 2021, 01:32:26 pm »
What a pass.
Sexy as fuck.

Pass wasn't too bad either, etc etc and so on.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10062 on: December 20, 2021, 02:37:27 pm »
Virj already setting up his retirement plans.  :D

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #10063 on: December 20, 2021, 02:57:11 pm »
When is he back from isolation?
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #10064 on: December 20, 2021, 03:08:35 pm »

If the tests were on the day of the Newcastle game I don't think they make Leeds just.

Thiago obviously doesn't

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10065 on: December 20, 2021, 05:39:07 pm »

Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho and Curtis Jones
The trio all registered suspected positive for Covid ahead of Thursday night's 3-1 defeat of Newcastle at Anfield and are currently self-isolating. When they might be back very much depends on when they tested positive.

NHS rules state that "if you test positive, your self-isolation period includes the day your symptoms started (or the day you had the test, if you did not have symptoms) and the next 10 full days". If it was on the day of the game the trio tested positive then their final day isolating will be Boxing Day.

Therefore, they will miss the visit of Leeds United at Anfield.
Potential return: Leicester (a), Tuesday 28 December.

Thiago Alcantara
The Spain international was the latest Liverpool player to contract Covid and was absent at Spurs.
It is unclear when Thiago tested positive. However, a Reds statement said that all players and staff members were tested on Saturday and Sunday. That suggests that the former Bayern Munich midfielder could have tested positive on Friday when arriving for training.

If that is the case then his final day of self-isolating might be on the day of the Leicester clash.
Potential return date: Chelsea (a), Sunday 2 January.

Jordan Henderson
The Liverpool captain was also absent against Spurs. It was through illness, although not Covid related. When Henderson is back available could very much depend on how ill he is.

Given the Reds' current problems in the engine room, he will likely want to be back as soon as possible. It’s likely that he would have been rested for the League Cup quarter-final against Leicester at Anfield, regardless.

Potential return date: Leeds (h), Sunday 26 December.

Divock Origi
The forward hasn't played since his match-winner in the 2-1 win at AC Milan in the Champions League earlier this month. Origi has missed the past three matches with a minor injury.

Klopp will be hoping the Belgium international is available for the clash with Leicester in the cup so he can give the likes of Mo Salah and Diogo Jota a rest ahead of the busy festive period.
Potential return: Leicester (h), Wednesday 22 December.

Nat Phillips
The defender would have likely been given an outing against Leicester in the League Cup had he been available. However, Phillips - who could be sold in the January transfer window - remains absent with a fractured cheekbone he suffered against Milan.
Potential return: January

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10066 on: December 23, 2021, 04:23:35 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Sm9D0IGT-xI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Sm9D0IGT-xI</a>

Now I know, why he is injured ;-)
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10067 on: December 28, 2021, 07:11:54 pm »

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10068 on: December 28, 2021, 07:26:55 pm »
7SO games?

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10069 on: December 29, 2021, 11:32:11 am »
I think the only conspicuous difference between post and pre injury Virg is how passive he now seems in the opposition box at set pieces. He never really scored many but his combative presence seemed to be a factor in many of the goals we did score.

Somehow we are back to late Benitez era levels of ineffectiveness at corners. Jota's head or bust. Yesterday we honestly might as well just of returned the ball each time we were awarded one.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10070 on: December 29, 2021, 01:33:19 pm »

Somehow we are back to late Benitez era levels of ineffectiveness at corners. Jota's head or bust. Yesterday we honestly might as well just of returned the ball each time we were awarded one.

Aren't we the highest scoring team in the league from corners this year?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10071 on: December 29, 2021, 02:15:04 pm »
Aren't we the highest scoring team in the league from corners this year?

Like subs, it’s something everybody thinks their team is shit at.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10072 on: December 29, 2021, 02:39:15 pm »
Could he have done more with the goal yesterday? Thought he turned sideways which opened up the goal.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10073 on: December 29, 2021, 07:16:04 pm »
Could he have done more with the goal yesterday? Thought he turned sideways which opened up the goal.
My take on the situation is that VVD moved to cover for Matip, who was already behind Lookman, and covered the far corner to narrow the angle for Ali. I don't thin that Van Dijk could have done much more.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10074 on: December 29, 2021, 08:40:13 pm »
My take on the situation is that VVD moved to cover for Matip, who was already behind Lookman, and covered the far corner to narrow the angle for Ali. I don't thin that Van Dijk could have done much more.

I thought exactly the same, left Lookman with just the option of shooting near post which Alisson should have covered. I thought Virgil was superb last night, looked back to his old self.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10075 on: December 29, 2021, 11:39:59 pm »
I thought exactly the same, left Lookman with just the option of shooting near post which Alisson should have covered. I thought Virgil was superb last night, looked back to his old self.

Virg was great, you're right. As was Matip. The defence was basically as sound as you'd want them to be. People are not giving enough to credit to Lookman. The initial run was powerful and intelligent and he was in maximum control of the ball and balanced enough to give himself options by the time he hit the penalty box at pace. The centre backs were on a losing wicket by then. But it still took a brilliant strike from Lookman. The keeper had no chance with the shot. Although he almost got there. What more can you say? Just tip your hat to the striker. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10076 on: December 30, 2021, 09:12:50 am »
He was covering the far Post so the goalie could cover the near Post along with forcing the shot from 13 meters. It hit with a lot of Power which is what threw off Alisson. From where it was shot with the Defender it a pretty lower percentage chance. Stat bomb had the chance at .1(wish it would give 2 digits but it somewhere from .10-.19 chance) But that based on distance quality etc. I don't think it has velocity on it.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10077 on: December 30, 2021, 11:39:03 pm »
Is he really all that?

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10078 on: January 2, 2022, 06:37:00 pm »
Probably won't go down well but that's two games in a row where he's inadequately covered his partner and it's led to a goal. Against Leicester he's too casual getting across and leaves the near post gaping, and today he just doesn't try.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10079 on: January 2, 2022, 06:42:21 pm »
Van Dijk didn't have a great game. Gave the ball away a few times, wasn't synchronized with Konate for long periods (one notable example is when Rudiger failed to score a header)... The whole team seems to be off, and it maybe it's the effect of that midfield in front of the CBs, but we need to get our act together or we're playing for top four only.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."