Author Topic: UEFA Champions League. Klopp's got a semi  (Read 319529 times)

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL Quarter Final Draw, Friday
« Reply #3320 on: March 15, 2019, 03:34:19 pm »
16/17 Season will be our Achilles heel for another 3 years yet as long as we keep on performing well in Europe.

Not after this year.  8)
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
Re: UEFA Champions League. Porto in the Quarto.
« Reply #3321 on: March 15, 2019, 03:35:01 pm »
Any chance of us bringing our bright orange kit back for the away leg of this one?

;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3322 on: March 15, 2019, 03:38:39 pm »
In regards to Barca not being all that great. They don't have to be, when they have the best goalscoring playmaker on the planet along with Suarez and Dembele , they will cause United massive problems. They did get through against PSG, without Neymar and Cavani, so unless something happense to Barca until then, their chances of going through are much much slimmer than in the previous round.

Messi, like Ronaldo, is totally capable of carrying them.

Coutinho’s good but dunno if he’s that good
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3323 on: March 15, 2019, 03:40:49 pm »
Made up with the draw - we should beat Porto fairly comfortably over two legs...especially if we're allowed to bring back last season's orange away kit for the away leg  ;D

The other ties are mouth-wateringly interesting for us and other 'neutrals'!

Ajax v Juve seems like the 'tie of the round' for sheer footballing spectacle reasons...very close to call.
Man City v Spurs will just be a cagey Prem affair that Spurs will huff n puff at, but will probably suffer from over the two legs....there is no way their "League's Best First 11"' can trump City's "League's Best Squad" over two legs :D
Barca v United has got attack v defence written all over it. I reckon it may pan out a bit like the PSG v Utd games...BUT there will be no repeat result at the end. Can see Luis being pumped for this one and 'saluting' the Manc crowd when he scores :D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #3324 on: March 15, 2019, 03:40:59 pm »
The quarter-final first legs take place on 9 April and 10 April.

The semi-finals start on 30 April and 1 May.

Nice

Holiday from 12th to 26th although we are going to Egypt so it would have been good to see the Egyptian fans go mental if Salah bags a hatrick in the 1st leg

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3325 on: March 15, 2019, 03:43:31 pm »
Have nothing personally against Coutinho. But I can imagine him wilting under the scrutiny of the Anfield crowd, just like Sterling. There's no reason why we shouldn't take advantage of this.

That's if he even gets on the pitch.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3326 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:01 pm »
I'm actually glad we didn't get Ajax, they have the potential to pull off an upset. Porto will be straight forward but they still deserve respect, anything can happen at this stage. Not sure if they've improved after we walloped them last year but we're still better than them in every department. Bit annoyed about City v Spurs, wanted them to get Barca and Spurs to get Utd.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3327 on: March 15, 2019, 03:51:47 pm »
thought with the new increase in prize money it would be over 10 years and would include past glories , {trophies won in Europe}

Since 2018 the UEFA club ranking is computed by the sum of club points in the last 5 years, with a minimum of 20% of the country ranking. For the distribution of revenue there is also a 10-year ranking that includes historic title points. The 2 methods are calculated separately.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3328 on: March 15, 2019, 03:55:20 pm »
16/17 Season will be our Achilles heel for another 3 years yet as long as we keep on performing well in Europe.

Not if we win the League, Pot 1 all the way....  8)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3329 on: March 15, 2019, 03:57:05 pm »
Can we just take a minute to be thankful for the position we're in?

I know, we're Liverpool, this is where we're supposed to be. But 2014/15 ended with a 6-1 loss to Stoke. Fucking Stoke. From 2009/10 (when Rafa eventually left at the season's end) to 2014/15 (aside from the League Cup win and that one amazing half season under Brendan) we were dire for large parts of those six years. Then Klopp arrived and since then has taken us to the Europa League final, two 4th place finishes, a Champions League final, now we're 1 point off the top with 8 games to go in the league and are overwhelming favourites to progress to the Champions League semifinals again. All this in less than 4 years.

We've won nothing yet of course but we've definitely come a long way

Is right.

Which is why I never understood the lads (most of which aren't fans of this club) who said we should throw this away to focus on the league. I remember seasons like 14-15 or 12-13 when at this time of the year, the season was already over and we're just playing to see who will be there the following year. Now we are competing for the league and in the last 8 of the CL, something I haven't felt with this club for a long time. Long may it continue too.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3330 on: March 15, 2019, 04:03:57 pm »
Can't wait for Suarez returning to Anfield.

He's watching our Porto game?

One game at a time. Let's not count chickens.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3331 on: March 15, 2019, 04:13:34 pm »
Yup, it won't be a 5-0 again, but as long as we take them seriously, we will get through. Let's take a lead (to nil) to Oporto this time.
Yep, that's my hope - a solid clean sheet win at home, take a grindy, defensive approach to the away leg after beating chelsea to save energy.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3332 on: March 15, 2019, 04:16:35 pm »
Yup, it won't be a 5-0 again, but as long as we take them seriously, we will get through. Let's take a lead (to nil) to Oporto this time.
Yep. Try going for a classic 1-0 at home then take it back to Porto- Paisley-style!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3333 on: March 15, 2019, 04:18:09 pm »
Wish we could just stop the already-incessant Coutinho/Suarez return nonsense

As we above all others should know, anything can happen in football. FOUR matches have to be played before the above scenario occurs.

Lets just concentrate on Porto, who will be no pushovers at all and who will have serious extra motivation due to last year.
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3334 on: March 15, 2019, 04:20:33 pm »
Couldn't have picked a better two draws.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3335 on: March 15, 2019, 04:21:02 pm »
He's watching our Porto game?

One game at a time. Let's not count chickens.

Counting chickens? I've been pondering the strange dilemma of the CL Final seeming like a free hit after we've won the league.
:D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3336 on: March 15, 2019, 04:21:36 pm »
Get the job done against Porto, nothing else after is important at this time. When we were the defending champions in 2005/2006, we went out to Benfica over two legs. Will never forget that.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3337 on: March 15, 2019, 04:22:27 pm »

Lets just concentrate on Porto, who will be no pushovers at all and who will have serious extra motivation due to last year.

Absolutely. Also - whilst I think Barca will ultimately see off the mancs - nothing at all is settled there either, as their fixture with PSG showed.   
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3338 on: March 15, 2019, 04:23:18 pm »
Get the job done against Porto, nothing else after is important at this time. When we were the defending champions in 2005/2006, we went out to Benfica over two legs. Will never forget that.

Was fucking gutting a lad who should have been playing for us scored a stunner to pretty much finish us off.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3339 on: March 15, 2019, 04:25:47 pm »
...only just realized the final is on my birthday... only one thing I want.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3340 on: March 15, 2019, 04:35:27 pm »
Counting chickens? I've been pondering the strange dilemma of the CL Final seeming like a free hit after we've won the league.

If we had won the league I reckon I'd just be starting to sober up in time for the final. Be made up about that 3 week gap.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #3341 on: March 15, 2019, 04:38:08 pm »
I'm happy with the draw, I hate playing league rivals in European ties, its just no the same. With this draw we are guaranteed not to play another English team unless we reach the final.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3342 on: March 15, 2019, 04:41:17 pm »
...only just realized the final is on my birthday... only one thing I want.

An Everton kit?

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3343 on: March 15, 2019, 04:44:06 pm »
I'm happy with the draw, I hate playing league rivals in European ties, its just no the same. With this draw we are guaranteed not to play another English team unless we reach the final.

Not if united beat Barca. It's unlikely but we should all probably row back a bit from our chicken counting.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3344 on: March 15, 2019, 04:48:17 pm »
Not a terrible draw but to be fair there was no easy draw in my opinion. Porto are a very good side and they're still in the competition at this stage for a reason

Looking forward to the 2 games and to seeing how the other games pan out as there are some fascinating ties and equally fascinating head to heads on the pitch

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3345 on: March 15, 2019, 04:51:24 pm »
Can't really complain with the draw. Porto are a good side but if we want to win this tournament we should really be beating them.

I was looking for 2 things mainly:
- Avoid an English team
- City to get a tough draw

Both of those things have happened.
YWNA

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3346 on: March 15, 2019, 04:52:14 pm »
Pepe and Hector Herrera out for the 1st leg. Really should be looking to win the 1st leg with a good lead.

Offline RedRaj

• Kopite
« Reply #3347 on: March 15, 2019, 04:54:49 pm »
Made up with the draw - we should beat Porto fairly comfortably over two legs...especially if we're allowed to bring back last season's orange away kit for the away leg  ;D

The other ties are mouth-wateringly interesting for us and other 'neutrals'!

Ajax v Juve seems like the 'tie of the round' for sheer footballing spectacle reasons...very close to call.
Man City v Spurs will just be a cagey Prem affair that Spurs will huff n puff at, but will probably suffer from over the two legs....there is no way their "League's Best First 11"' can trump City's "League's Best Squad" over two legs :D
Barca v United has got attack v defence written all over it. I reckon it may pan out a bit like the PSG v Utd games...BUT there will be no repeat result at the end. Can see Luis being pumped for this one and 'saluting' the Manc crowd when he scores :D

Not too sure about your City v Spurs analysis.. let’s face it, last year we were apparently outmatched by City and turned them over proper. Knock out football and all that. You never know.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3348 on: March 15, 2019, 05:02:31 pm »
Was fucking gutting a lad who should have been playing for us scored a stunner to pretty much finish us off.

Aye was devasted, Sissoko's eye injury in the first leg, some shitehousery by Benfica as well.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3349 on: March 15, 2019, 05:12:10 pm »
Aye was devasted, Sissoko's eye injury in the first leg, some shitehousery by Benfica as well.

That's my abiding memory of that game and the fact that with the amount of qualifiers we'd already played we'd reached the equivalent of the Final. :D

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3350 on: March 15, 2019, 06:21:44 pm »
Not too sure about your City v Spurs analysis..
Do you really think that Spurs have it in them to knock City out over two legs?

Also you say you're not sure. So there's a part of you that thinks it could go either way.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3351 on: March 15, 2019, 06:24:21 pm »
Hope Spurs are still up for the fight by the time the PL game comes around. Let's hope they don't punch themselves out in the CL alone.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3352 on: March 15, 2019, 06:26:25 pm »
Hope Spurs are still up for the fight by the time the PL game comes around. Let's hope they don't punch themselves out in the CL alone.

I reckon they will get put out by City and then want to get their revenge by taking points off them in the title race.  8)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #3353 on: March 15, 2019, 06:43:08 pm »
If we beat Porto then I really hope we get Barca in the semi. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to knock those fuckers out and rub Coutinho's and Suarez's nose in it in the process. Don't get me wrong, the thought of playing United in a European semi is pretty enticing, but I'd happily pass it up for the chance to get stuck into Barca. I've really grown to dislike them in recent years. They were pretty much Europe's biggest underachievers until the Argie Imp came along and helped them make up some ground. They can take that good guys image they try to portray and ram it up their arses as far as I'm concerned. I'm praying that we get them, I really am

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3354 on: March 15, 2019, 06:44:48 pm »

Yeah, I hope so as well but something tells me they're going to be absolutely goosed after the CL tie with City.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #3355 on: March 15, 2019, 06:45:14 pm »
Are Porto any good in midfield?

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3356 on: March 15, 2019, 06:50:14 pm »
Where are all the people who claimed that the draw would be fixed. We got a decent draw and there's every chance that we will go through (well obviously there's nothing certain and we'll have to play well). We avoided the better teams and that means the draw was kind to us.
#JFT97

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3357 on: March 15, 2019, 06:52:15 pm »
Suarez will be fired up for Utd. Give 'em hell Luis!

Should everything work out against Porto, it will be emotional seeing him and Coutinho back at Anfield for the semis.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3358 on: March 15, 2019, 06:53:21 pm »
Where are all the people who claimed that the draw would be fixed. We got a decent draw and there's every chance that we will go through (well obviously there's nothing certain and we'll have to play well). We avoided the better teams and that means the draw was kind to us.

In the hubbub of our own draw though....Man City have still got a pretty easy draw ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline adzogolonzo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3359 on: March 15, 2019, 06:54:33 pm »
Tbf we need to win but we need barca to win so we are at home in the 2nd leg of the semis.

If United we have to play home first if City beat spurs