Author Topic: Camp America  (Read 24765 times)

Offline gerrard88

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
Re: Camp America
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2012, 06:42:41 pm »
I did www.challengersports.com last summer.. On the east coast. Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia,  DC, Philli, Maryland.
Was fantastic!

Too much to tell! PM me if anyone wants any info on anything regarding this!
Allez Allez Allez

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:22 am »
Bump!

Anyone got any new stories/experiences with these to share?  Sacked it off because I was getting rubbish offers and didn't really have any skills to my name and got a full time job instead but I'm going to Uni in September so going to apply for it in 2015, so August time this year.

Seen that Challenger Sports one which looks alright, I'm looking at getting my Level 1 in the next few months but I can't drive or anything so I don't know if that'd hold me back.

Offline gerrard88

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:34 pm »
Bump!

Anyone got any new stories/experiences with these to share?  Sacked it off because I was getting rubbish offers and didn't really have any skills to my name and got a full time job instead but I'm going to Uni in September so going to apply for it in 2015, so August time this year.

Seen that Challenger Sports one which looks alright, I'm looking at getting my Level 1 in the next few months but I can't drive or anything so I don't know if that'd hold me back.

Sent you a PM
Allez Allez Allez

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2014, 12:14:32 am »
I did Camp America/CC USA for seven summers between 1994 and 2002 (with a few summers travelling elsewhere). I worked in the kitchens in a camp in North Carolina, not too far from the Tennessee state border. I had an absolute blast, met my wife there, made friends that I'm still in regular contact with and did loads of travelling.

Originally I was going to go with a mate as well, but due to circumstances went on my own in my first year. Looking back, I'm really glad I did as in those days (1994) there wasn't nearly as many International staff as in later years. This give me an opportunity to befriend a fair few American counsellors. This turned out to be a good thing. They have cars. They will lend you their cars on days off!

If your under 21 and you like a bevvy, maybe it might not be for you? Back when I was there, ALL the bars, clubs, places that sold booze, etc would ask for ID. If you didn't have suitable ID (passport or International Drivers License), you didn't get served, simple as that. It might have changed since I was last there, but i somehow doubt it.

That aside, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I'm living in Australia now, I doubt I'd be here if I hadn't done Camp America and developed the travel bug. Get out there and do it!
We are Liverpool!

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2015, 01:01:21 pm »
Is anyone doing challenger British soccer in Virginia this summer ?

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #165 on: June 4, 2015, 08:17:30 am »
My son did Camp Leaders as a counsellor at a sports camp in New Hampshire about 5 yrs ago during his 1st summer at Uni. He loved the experience and at the end of his stint he went travelling around America with his new mates.

He still meets up with 3 of them a few times a year as they are spread out across the year.

All in all a great experience for him.

Offline gerrard88

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #166 on: June 4, 2015, 09:51:25 pm »
Is anyone doing challenger British soccer in Virginia this summer ?

I have done the past 3 summers.

Are you a coach?
Allez Allez Allez

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2019, 10:40:05 am »
Nice to see some good experiences have been had at Camp America

My son is currently in his 3rd and final year at Manchester Film school and has just been offered a teaching place next summer for 2 months at a Camp America in a National Forest in Georgia.   He will be part of the VR team and apparently they have a high end Oculus VR system there.  He's very excited and plans to go on a 'Trek America' road trip straight after his 2 months at the camp.

I've told him to visit Georgia State Penitentiary and buy a gun but he's not too keen and says that would be too much like Wythenshawe anyway :)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2019, 07:16:10 pm »

My son is currently in his 3rd and final year at Manchester Film school and has just been offered a teaching place next summer for 2 months at a Camp America in a National Forest in Georgia.   He will be part of the VR team and apparently they have a high end Oculus VR system there.  He's very excited and plans to go on a 'Trek America' road trip straight after his 2 months at the camp.

I've told him to visit Georgia State Penitentiary and buy a gun but he's not too keen and says that would be too much like Wythenshawe anyway :)
Sounds like he is doing well. Everyone I know has had great experiences at those places. Its an adventure and you get so much life experience in a short time.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2019, 07:22:24 pm »

I met my wife 32 years ago on a Camp America program - true story !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2019, 07:39:05 pm »

How old is he ? The reason I ask is I was slightly introvert until I went at the age of 18. It totally bought me out of my shell. It's a life changer mate and you'll notice the difference in him when he gets back. Iam still a bit of a daydreamer like and do love my own company but it deffo gave me confidence in life.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2019, 08:29:18 pm »
I met my wife 32 years ago on a Camp America program - true story !

Just a bit awkward that she was a pupil.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2019, 12:30:27 am »
How old is he ? The reason I ask is I was slightly introvert until I went at the age of 18. It totally bought me out of my shell. It's a life changer mate and you'll notice the difference in him when he gets back. Iam still a bit of a daydreamer like and do love my own company but it deffo gave me confidence in life.

He's 21 Kesey. Will be 22 when he finishes Uni next year and goes over there.  He is in love with America and wants to work at a studio over there one day.

Ahhhh. I remember having big hopes and dreams too at that age.

He can remember his dreams of working with the likes of Tarantino and the Russo Brothers in a few years when he's making cups of tea for Bill Oddie and Sue Cooke on an corporate video shoot for river boat holidays on the Norfolk Broads. :)

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2019, 02:42:04 am »
He's 21 Kesey. Will be 22 when he finishes Uni next year and goes over there.  He is in love with America and wants to work at a studio over there one day.

He can remember his dreams of working with the likes of Tarantino and the Russo Brothers in a few years when he's making cups of tea for Bill Oddie and Sue Cooke on an corporate video shoot for river boat holidays on the Norfolk Broads. :)

If he's dishing up tea for Cook and Oddie, then there's a fair he'll bump into AP. Every cloud...
We are Liverpool!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2019, 03:49:50 am »

Your being a shy Dad now here aint ya ?     ;)

He won't fail you Pete and he maybe sticking his chin out to make you proud of him which you are already. Your Son has big balls lad and you know you love that in him . Your lad is getting away for a bit at the age of 21 ... 21 for fucksake going to the U.S.A on his jack. He's out there having a go and if and when he comes back have the tea ready for him .  :wave

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .