Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2767036 times)

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #1080 on: September 18, 2006, 07:29:50 pm »

NY Giants identity is in NJ
I don't necessarily agree. The Stadium itself  may very well be located in NJ but they are still the New York Football Giants. They played in Yankee Stadium in NY for donkey's years and have always had a fan base with a NY core much the same way the NY Yankees have to this day. To me the Jets are essentially a Long Island team after being based at Shea Stadium all those years with a huge following from that particular section of New York. None of this is really important I suppose.

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1081 on: September 18, 2006, 08:32:55 pm »
I think that our division is pretty weak so I wouldn't say that the playoffs is groundbreaking territory for Da Bears or is unexpected. We won the division last season and I hope the same happens again. How far we progress is largely dependent on whether Grossman can stay fit and keep throwing like he is. Our defence is incredible so with the right QB and, as a result, better reception from the WRs who knows how far we'll go?

What I meant was that the Bears would not just be like last year and get mauled by the first decent team in the playoffs (Where's Steve Smith?) but could go DEEP and even play for the conference. Oh well. Tis good to dream. Viqueens we should 'do' but then Seattle could bring me down to earth with a bump..
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1082 on: September 18, 2006, 08:38:00 pm »
We were in the game until my fellow countryman and Jets punter Ben Graham shanked a punt for a 10 yard total punt return. Wasn't an easy game for you guys by any stretch.....and you struggled against the Jills last week. Fair to say you are almost already in the playoffs after victory against divisional rivals in successive weeks, but you'll need Porter to step up as a target for Brady if you are gonna go anywhere in them....

Porter?  Pardon?

And I think last night showed why the Pats can win the SB without a 'star' receiver - because they've got a certain number 12 throwing the ball.  It doesn't matter who he's throwing at, if you're open he'll hit you, and he'll hit you time and time and time again.  Brady likes to use TE's as much as wideouts anyway, which is why Watson and Graham are probably the go-to guys right now when the ball does go in the air.  High hopes for Chad Jackson too, he showed some moves off last night that Fred Astaire would have been proud of.

Plus there's the small matter of a very bright and powerful run game emerging, Dillon may be 30 now but he's still doing his thing, and with Maroney bursting onto the stage, we could be set for a few years of having a great all-round game.

If we can stay clear of injuries, the one thing that has killed us in recent years, we'll win the division and hopefully make the Championship game.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: September 18, 2006, 11:24:19 pm »
Apparently the NFL are thinking of hosting a few friendlies at Wembley stadium - you heard it here first!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1084 on: September 18, 2006, 11:25:49 pm »
Apparently the NFL are thinking of hosting a few friendlies at Wembley stadium - you heard it here first!

No I didn't. Incidentally, the games they're talking about holding there aren't friendlies - they are bona fide NFL games.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:10:43 am by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #1085 on: September 19, 2006, 12:08:28 am »
A right balls up by Philly.

Exactly right, it helped the Giants win the game...

But Kareem McKenzie might not be feeling so good.

Wait a minute, wasn't McKenzie a Jet at one point...too cheap to re-sign him...
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: September 19, 2006, 12:13:11 am »
No I didn't. Incidentally, the games they're talking about holding there aren't friendlies - they are bona fide NFL games.

really? i heard they were friendlies - although i've heard that the nba are thinking of playing some league games in china in the coming years

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: September 19, 2006, 12:18:20 am »
really? i heard they were friendlies - although i've heard that the nba are thinking of playing some league games in china in the coming years

Ever since they arranged the first game outside the USA (in Mexico City last year), they've been desperate to expand the international appeal of NFL. There are enough fans in the UK to guarantee a sell out many times over (even at £100 a ticket), so I guess it will come off.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: September 19, 2006, 01:36:54 am »
Porter?  Pardon?

And I think last night showed why the Pats can win the SB without a 'star' receiver - because they've got a certain number 12 throwing the ball.  It doesn't matter who he's throwing at, if you're open he'll hit you, and he'll hit you time and time and time again.  Brady likes to use TE's as much as wideouts anyway, which is why Watson and Graham are probably the go-to guys right now when the ball does go in the air.  High hopes for Chad Jackson too, he showed some moves off last night that Fred Astaire would have been proud of.

Plus there's the small matter of a very bright and powerful run game emerging, Dillon may be 30 now but he's still doing his thing, and with Maroney bursting onto the stage, we could be set for a few years of having a great all-round game.

If we can stay clear of injuries, the one thing that has killed us in recent years, we'll win the division and hopefully make the Championship game.

Jerry Porter to the Patriots from the Raiders looks like a done deal now that Deion Branch has left: Brady hasn't been playing well without a go to reciever this year.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: September 19, 2006, 04:38:13 am »
Jacksonville beats Pittsburgh 9-0

Total physical domination by the Jaguars; Pittsburgh had 153 yards total and did not advance past the JAX 46 yard line.  Roethlisberger didn't look ready to play tonight (he'll probably be fine next week).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 06:13:38 am by NY-AmericanRed »
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: September 19, 2006, 09:59:48 am »

Total physical domination by the Jaguars; Pittsburgh had 153 yards total and did not advance past the JAX 46 yard line.  Roethlisberger didn't look ready to play tonight (he'll probably be fine next week).

Strange decision to go with a half fit QB when the back up did the job the week before: possibly the marquee Rothlisberger had a big say on whether he should play or not.

Had money on Jacksonville: they were the outsiders, but the Steelers were playing away with a half fit QB and aren't the same as they were compared to their run late last season.

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #1091 on: September 19, 2006, 11:44:08 am »

Had money on under 37 points in the game ;D
Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline baboons

• I lurk, therefore, I am
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Kiss my big red baboon ass.
« Reply #1092 on: September 19, 2006, 12:32:07 pm »
Ever since they arranged the first game outside the USA (in Mexico City last year), they've been desperate to expand the international appeal of NFL. There are enough fans in the UK to guarantee a sell out many times over (even at £100 a ticket), so I guess it will come off.

Was all set for the middle of October.  It would have been a road game for both teams, so each would have kept 8 home games.  Apparently it was only the protracted negotiations around the wage cap that prevented this going ahead - thank god it did, as they'd never have comeback with Wembley being completely screwed for another six months.

You don't need pants for the victory dance

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1093 on: September 19, 2006, 08:27:23 pm »
Jerry Porter to the Patriots from the Raiders looks like a done deal now that Deion Branch has left: Brady hasn't been playing well without a go to reciever this year.

'Looks a done deal' - so he's not a Pats player then?  No offence mate, but until he is then he doesn't come into the equation.  I would like to see an experienced wideout come in, but we've just gotten rid of one potential rotten apple - why sign another?  I'm not that fussed right now anyway, I think Jackson is going to have a very encouraging year, and Gabriel and Brown can do a good enough job, not to mention Graham and Watson, TB's favourite targets, currently.

Also Brady seemed something like interested on Sunday, granted he made a few dubious calls and was intercepted, but I wouldn't put his less than brilliant performances down to the team not having a 'main man'.
Believe.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: September 20, 2006, 12:23:58 pm »
'Looks a done deal' - so he's not a Pats player then?  No offence mate, but until he is then he doesn't come into the equation.  I would like to see an experienced wideout come in, but we've just gotten rid of one potential rotten apple - why sign another?  I'm not that fussed right now anyway, I think Jackson is going to have a very encouraging year, and Gabriel and Brown can do a good enough job, not to mention Graham and Watson, TB's favourite targets, currently.

Also Brady seemed something like interested on Sunday, granted he made a few dubious calls and was intercepted, but I wouldn't put his less than brilliant performances down to the team not having a 'main man'.

Bad apple? Branch won the MVP in the Pats last Super Bowl victory.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: September 20, 2006, 06:46:45 pm »

Yeah - first mooted by the NFL during the regular season last year. If Wembley had been sorted, an AFC game was planned for this year. Having seen the success of the game in Mexico last year coupled with the enthusiasm for NFL Europe in Holland and Germany,  they are looking at having a game per year outside the US on a rota which all clubs will sign up to.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: September 20, 2006, 06:50:20 pm »
Yeah - first mooted by the NFL during the regular season last year. If Wembley had been sorted, an AFC game was planned for this year. Having seen the success of the game in Mexico last year coupled with the enthusiasm for NFL Europe in Holland and Germany,  they are looking at having a game per year outside the US on a rota which all clubs will sign up to.

Good use of the word "moot", fella.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #1097 on: September 20, 2006, 07:44:39 pm »
Let's Go Niners...

Enough said...
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1098 on: September 20, 2006, 07:44:41 pm »
if they get round to it next year the first round is on me :wave

lets just hope its not the bills vs titans :-\
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1099 on: September 21, 2006, 09:43:06 am »
This week's First Down just dropped on the door mat and front page headline news is:
Sky Sports, NFL in multi-million pound deal to show football 365 days a year
Apparently a new 4 year deal for the 2007-2010 seasons is about to be announced. There's talk of doubling the number of live Sunday night games currently shown, possability of more games available vis Sky red button interactive service, and finally a selection of programmes from the NFL Network (which is likely to be the 365 daily programming).

The article goes on to state:
The deal makes Britain the largest commercial market in Europe - in fact if confirmed as expected this week, the UK NFL TV rights will outstrip the rest of Europe combined and will make it one of the biggest markets in the world outside the US.
So you've gotta assume that it strengthens the likely chances for the UK to be the prime location for the regular season fixtures the NFL has been craving to host regularly outside the US.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1100 on: September 21, 2006, 11:02:39 pm »
Daft idea maybe - but what's the chances of the NFL actually awarding a franchise outside of the States?  I know the interest in Latin America is huge, especially Mexico, but Europe could be the sporting equivalent of a Gold rush to the game if tapped correctly.  Both with regards to the whole financial picture (investors/fans buying merchandise etc) and also with regards to actual playing talent.

Maybe that would take us too much towards a proposed world league or something stupid like that, plus it could, only could mind, sound a death knell to the BAFL (or whatever it's called).  On the other hand though it could bring even more interest into the game, and garner more interest in the game over here.
Believe.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1101 on: September 22, 2006, 12:34:51 am »
Daft idea maybe - but what's the chances of the NFL actually awarding a franchise outside of the States?  I know the interest in Latin America is huge, especially Mexico, but Europe could be the sporting equivalent of a Gold rush to the game if tapped correctly.  Both with regards to the whole financial picture (investors/fans buying merchandise etc) and also with regards to actual playing talent.

Maybe that would take us too much towards a proposed world league or something stupid like that, plus it could, only could mind, sound a death knell to the BAFL (or whatever it's called).  On the other hand though it could bring even more interest into the game, and garner more interest in the game over here.

NFL Europe?

Pats have the Bronco's comin' this weekend, should be a solid win with no slip ups.

I had outside bets on the Cardinals and the Jaguars to make the playoffs so could do with them keepin' up their ok starts. Can't see Jags takin' anything at the Colts though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:37:31 am by Tom_B »
We're on our way to glory...

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: September 22, 2006, 07:07:20 pm »

Can't see how that would work for several reasons off the top of my head, namely:

The college draft system
Flights, jet lag eating into preparation time

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1103 on: September 23, 2006, 03:13:15 am »
i'm just surprised mroe rookies arent sent over to europe and some preseason games arent set up against european teams, would make sense if euorpean teams were at end of their season and would be money spinning for the european cities.

really hope a regular season game does come over next year or two though.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #1104 on: September 23, 2006, 04:28:22 am »
I think some 65% of the players in the Euro league are Americans. works as a rookie training area and a second chance for some.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: September 23, 2006, 03:17:53 pm »
There are NFL Europe rules stating they must have 'International' players on each team otherwise it would probably be 90-95% americans...

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: September 24, 2006, 09:38:42 pm »
Next year there will be an NFL game in China...

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: September 24, 2006, 09:45:39 pm »
Seahawks fans making a hell of a racket.

Offline flamingapeshead

• Main Stander
« Reply #1108 on: September 24, 2006, 10:45:42 pm »
the giants are getting absolutely shat on!

35 nil at half time. ouch! ;D

i have to laugh at other teams misfortune seeing as my bills are likely to do bugger all again this year

Offline flamingapeshead

• Main Stander
« Reply #1109 on: September 24, 2006, 10:50:32 pm »
sorry i lied. they've made a field goal

well done them. their fans must be proud

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: September 25, 2006, 04:56:44 am »
J    E     T     S! JETS JETS JETS!

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: September 25, 2006, 10:21:18 pm »
DA BEARS 3-0 :)

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #1112 on: September 26, 2006, 12:05:27 am »
lets go pats - great win yesterday....  oh fuck......... maybe not.

not sure what happened there - offense not firing and no forced turnovers - not like the pats at all.

I wasn;t worried - just sat waiting for the 4th quarter comeback... still waiting..

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: September 26, 2006, 01:35:52 am »
Tonight you will probably hear one of the largest renditions of "When the Saints Go Marching In" in the New Orleans Superdome.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1114 on: September 26, 2006, 02:22:01 am »
The fans of the New Orleans Saints are arguably the longest suffering fans in NFL history. They deserve better because that particular franchise is probably the most inept in the long history of the league.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: September 26, 2006, 07:55:57 am »
GO SAINTS!

3-0. A cracking start.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #1116 on: September 26, 2006, 03:36:38 pm »
go ahead, say Brett Favre is too old, idiots....

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: September 26, 2006, 06:58:56 pm »
The fans of the New Orleans Saints are arguably the longest suffering fans in NFL history. They deserve better because that particular franchise is probably the most inept in the long history of the league.

Not the Raiders? ;)

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: September 26, 2006, 08:01:40 pm »
go ahead, say Brett Favre is too old and surrounded by idiots....

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #1119 on: September 27, 2006, 04:54:16 am »
Not the Raiders? ;)

This is, I suppose, tongue-in-cheek? Because the Raiders have one of the most storied histories in the NFL. Just not in the last few years.

Of course their fans aren't "long suffering". "Insufferable" is more like it. Universally acclaimed as the most despicable in American sports. Well, them and Eagle fan.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.