Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310674 times)

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2160 on: April 10, 2019, 02:30:30 pm »
Who knew?

Black-Hole" border="0
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:34:03 pm by [new username under construction] »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #2161 on: April 10, 2019, 03:08:32 pm »
You just know it will be called the Eye of Sauron Blackhole.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:10:14 pm by Big Jezza’s Jizza »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2162 on: April 10, 2019, 05:47:39 pm »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2163 on: April 11, 2019, 04:06:23 pm »
Anyone else watch the BBC4 Doc about the Black Hole photo last night at 9pm.  Absolutely brilliant it was.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2164 on: April 11, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »
Anyone else watch the BBC4 Doc about the Black Hole photo last night at 9pm.  Absolutely brilliant it was.

Yeah watched that last night, was really great. Work involved, and length of time they’d been doing it for, was amazing.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2165 on: April 11, 2019, 07:50:54 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47879538

The first privately funded mission to the Moon will attempt to land on the lunar surface today.

The Israeli spacecraft - called Beresheet - will try for a soft touch down, before taking pictures and conducting experiments.

Until now, only government space agencies from the former Soviet Union, the US and China have achieved this.

The mission has cost about $100m, paving the way for future low-cost lunar exploration.
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2166 on: April 11, 2019, 07:57:25 pm »
Genuinely  incredible stuff...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2167 on: April 11, 2019, 08:07:44 pm »
It’s a great achievement being the first private enterprise to the moon, but is it achieving much scientifically? I ask that genuinely as bbc article doesn’t provide all that much.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2168 on: April 11, 2019, 08:11:59 pm »
I wonder of the NASA channel will broadcast the Beresheet landing. I'd like to see such events getting good publicity to spark interest in everyone.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2169 on: April 11, 2019, 08:44:20 pm »
Ah...

It crashed... suspected engine failure.

Last photo before it’s demise.

Just goes to show how incredibly difficult it is.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2170 on: April 11, 2019, 08:45:38 pm »
This just came out: the NASA InSight Twitter account has been nominated for a Webby Award (the best on the web). It's running close second, so every vote counts! If you feel like it, please go to the site below and vote. Cheers!

https://vote.webbyawards.com/PublicVoting#/2019/social/general-social/education-discovery

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2171 on: April 11, 2019, 08:51:35 pm »
Ah...

It crashed... suspected engine failure.

Just goes to show how incredibly difficult it is.
Damn... But that should not be a discouragement, most learning comes from failures.

It is incredible how we take successful landings for granted, even though history suggests low success rates. And landing from orbit is far easier that straight ballistic entry, descent and landing (EDL). The Viking landing on Mars was from orbit, everything else afterwards - EDL. And we still need to wear brown pants when it happens...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: April 12, 2019, 09:45:36 pm »
W

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2173 on: April 13, 2019, 08:40:26 am »
You just know it will be called the Eye of Sauron Blackhole.

Really? I thought it was Space Goatse.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2174 on: April 17, 2019, 05:25:11 pm »

There's a brilliant BBC4 documentary on this they've followed the whole process and is narrated by Peter Capaldi.

You have 29days to watch it on iPlayer

How to See a Black Hole: The Universe's Greatest Mystery

For two years BBC cameras have followed, Dr Sheperd Doeleman of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and the work of the Event Horizon Telescope project team, a collective of the top scientific minds from around the world. The project combines radio observatories and telescope facilities from around the world to make up a virtual telescope with a diameter spanning the entire planet. This mega-telescope’s ultimate mission is to capture the first image ever of a black hole. Although the concept of black holes has been long assumed to be fact, the Event Horizon Telescope’s success would definitively prove the existence of this scientific phenomena for the first time – and provide clear visual evidence.

The programme brings viewers into the laboratories, behind the computer screens and beside the telescopes of what may prove to be one of the great astrophysical achievements in human history.

On Youtube until it gets removed,not the best but ok for those outside the UK who don't have a VPN.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Nfmyxz8lbHc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Nfmyxz8lbHc</a>
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2175 on: April 27, 2019, 02:59:12 am »
I love the fact the code was written in Python using numpy, matplotlib, etc, and it’s on github for anyone to review https://github.com/achael/eht-imaging

The fact the reconstructed image (not picture or photo as some papers have called it) resembles the simulations is great.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2176 on: April 27, 2019, 09:30:52 am »
Not current space news, but I've just finished reading this report into the Colombia shuttle disaster.

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/298870main_SP-2008-565.pdf

A very sad but detailed and totally immersive 400 page read.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: May 3, 2019, 08:57:21 am »
SpaceX launching the Falcon Heavy live on Youtube at the minute.

5 minutes until launch.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2178 on: May 3, 2019, 09:14:31 am »
All 3 boosters successfully landed after re-entry for the first time.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: May 4, 2019, 10:57:29 pm »
"Japanese private firm sends first rocket into space"
https://www.dw.com/en/japanese-private-firm-sends-first-rocket-into-space/a-48600093

A small but successful step. Kudos!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2180 on: June 7, 2019, 03:43:47 pm »
NASA set to open up the space station to tourists apparently.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2181 on: June 7, 2019, 11:41:05 pm »
NASA set to open up the space station to tourists apparently.
TRUMP VAN ALLEN?
W

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2182 on: June 8, 2019, 12:10:47 am »
I know this may seem for the gaming thread, and I very rarely post on here. But... as I'm sure most will know, Surviving Mars is out and whilst I have never really been one for astrology, meteorology, cosmology... I don't know. I grew up watching and playing the usual stuff that most fans of space exploration do.

But I can't believe how way behind time I am with space exploration. I saw that Elon Must documentary recently and it is probably the most inspiring documentaries I've seen in years. Obviously, I moved onto the game, and have played most space sims (if not all), and watched most space/science films docs.

I had no real idea how much movement there was and in a strange kind of way, both together (the doc and the games), you can see how private enterprise is forming and I have kicked myself for not following the Elon Musk story sooner. Having not read this thread, he is an inspiring bloke, but him along with Richard Branson, could potentially see the first landings  (of some sort) on Mars in our lifetime.

It's blue sky thinking of course, but the whole enterprise perfectly represents the capitalist model/ideology (as well as many others), but it got me thinking about the vertical take-off, landing thing (I don't know the correct term). But those two I mentioned seem to be going about it in different ways and whilst tourism and exploration is the obvious end goal, (as well as... many others), surely the future is some kind of synthesis of Elon Musk's SpaceX engine, and Richard Branson's VSS would eventually be a way of mitigating huma risk, whilst able to somehow eventually merge to the soundtrack of Interstellar.

I'm far from knowledgeable on the subject, but know enough that the joint-effort may go against that ideology and potentially harbour genuine competition. However, when you think of the two techs, the two ideologies, it is surely a perfect match is it not?

I get my science from Hollywood, and I'm one of those "if you can visualise it, you can do it" people who think with their skin. But it is all terribly exciting, and again, we get most of our taste of space via film and TV. So it is very inspiring to see someone literally just burning money away to fulfil that ambition of man.

Yet when you cross the experience of film and TV with a game like Surviving Mars, it is actually very interesting how thinking as to how capitalism and industry may in fact be the overiding formula to a future societal structure. That's all obvious to many on here I'd suspect, but I've never really thought of it in the way Surviving Mars proposes.

I imagine a lot of SM, is of course, guesswork and theoretical physics at its finest and most digestible... But at this moment in time, I think most of us if we had the cash, would like to just fuck the world off and go and explore. A-to-B, mass and propulsion.... etc... being the obvious problem of... and scientific words that I can't be arsed to google.

It's weird how the tech and subject crosses over into many other interests, but stops short of your thoughts because you'd think the media would be ALL over it. I know SpaceX has received coverage, and SpaceX do a good job on their media output (as well as having to keep a lot secret). Yet, I imagine that most of the media coverage is stateside, as well, the ESA looks years behind, but I always got the impression they were years behind, and had other agendas to follow (i.e communication and network).

The network EM is proposing with satellites was interesting, and I found it particularly interesting how they explained how the satellites could look like lights or planets in the night sky... but then fell short of saying they could look like UFO's or other phenomena.

Looked back over a few pages, but I am hoping to binge on some documentaries and read-up as I have a cough and plan to vegetate over the weekend.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2183 on: June 25, 2019, 09:08:40 am »
Space X launched Falcon heavy for STP-2 mission this morning. Their 1st night launch. This is another Satellite deployment run for the company. But as a side mission, they are also taking up the cremated remains of 100 people including Apollo 11 astronaut Bill Pogue.

The side boosters made yet another perfect landing (watching those land in sync never gets old)

Unfortunately the centre booster missed the landing barge. Though it should be noted that this landing was over 700 miles away from launch so this was considered very difficult

But both the side and centre boosters had already been used on previous missions for Space X so when talking about the sustainability and cost savings it's a huge leap forward. The cost savings up to $100 million just reusing those boosters from the previous mission. If the side boosters can be used again then thats a further saving.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: June 25, 2019, 10:01:51 pm »
Look at the sun reflecting off the oceans (of methane?) on Titan

Just incredible

W

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #2185 on: July 22, 2019, 11:36:11 am »
Very significant news today. Kept popping on my news feed. Especially the 120m pounds. Thats cheaper than Phil Coutinho.

Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49032603

India has successfully launched its second lunar mission a week after it halted the scheduled blast-off due to a technical snag.

Chandrayaan-2 was launched at 14:43 local time (09:13 GMT) on Monday from the Sriharikota space station.

India's space chief said his agency had "bounced back with flying colours" after the aborted first attempt.

India hopes the $150m (Ł120m) mission will be the first to land on the Moon's south pole.

The spacecraft has entered the Earth's orbit, where it will stay for 23 days before it begins a series of manoeuvres that will take it into lunar orbit.

The lift-off was broadcast live on TV and the space agency's official social media accounts.

There was applause in the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) control room minutes after the launch, as the rocket took off towards the outer atmosphere.

It is the most complex mission ever attempted by the agency.

"It is the beginning of a historical journey of India towards the moon," said Isro chief K Sivan in a speech after the launch.

He thanked and congratulated all those who had worked on the mission: "It is my duty to salute all the people who have done the work."

Prime Minister Narendra Modi praised the mission for being "fully indigenous".

The countdown on 15 July was stopped 56 minutes before launch after a "technical snag was observed in [the] launch vehicle system", according to Isro. Indian media have reported that a leak from a helium gas bottle in the cryogenic engine of the rocket was to blame.

The fuel from the rocket was drained and the scientists resolved the glitch.

"It was a simple to fix [but it was] a serious problem that could have resulted in total failure," said a source at Isro.

What is this mission all about?

India's first lunar mission in 2008 - Chandrayaan-1 - did not land on the lunar surface, but it carried out the first and most detailed search for water on the Moon using radars.

Chandrayaan-2 (Moon vehicle 2) will try to land near the little-explored south pole of the Moon.

The mission will focus on the lunar surface, searching for water and minerals and measuring moonquakes, among other things.

India is using its most powerful rocket, the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III (GSLV Mk-III), in this mission. It weighs 640 tonnes (almost 1.5 times the weight of a fully-loaded 747 jumbo jet) and at 44 metres (144ft) is as high as a 14-storey building.

The spacecraft weighs 2.379kg (5.244lb) and has three distinct parts: an orbiter, a lander and a rover.

The orbiter, which has a mission life of a year, will take images of the lunar surface.

The lander (named Vikram, after the founder of Isro) weighs about half as much, and carries within its belly a 27kg Moon rover with instruments to analyse the lunar soil. In its 14-day life, the rover (called Pragyan - wisdom in Sanskrit) can travel up to a half a kilometre from the lander and will send data and images back to Earth for analysis.

How long is the journey to the Moon?

The launch is only the beginning of a 384,000km (239,000-mile) journey - Isro is still hoping the lander will touch down on the Moon on 6 or 7 September as planned, despite the week-long delay of the launch.

The journey of more than six weeks is a lot longer than the four days the Apollo 11 mission 50 years ago took to reach the Moon- and land humans on the lunar surface for the first time.

In order to save fuel, India's space agency has chosen a circuitous route to take advantage of the Earth's gravity, which will help slingshot the satellite towards the Moon. India does not have a rocket powerful enough to hurl Chandrayaan-2 on a direct path. In comparison, the Saturn V rocket used by the Apollo programme remains the largest and most powerful rocket ever built.

"There will be 15 terrifying minutes for scientists once the lander is released and is hurled towards the south pole of the Moon," Dr Sivan said prior to the first launch attempt.

He explained that those who had been controlling the spacecraft until then would have no role to play in those crucial moments. The actual landing, he added, would be an autonomous operation dependent on all systems performing as they should. Otherwise, the lander could crash into the lunar surface.

Earlier this year, Israel's first Moon mission crash-landed while attempting to touch down.

Offline great power rising

• Main Stander
« Reply #2186 on: July 22, 2019, 09:03:53 pm »
I see there's a bit of a hoohaa about that Indian anti-satellite test the other day.

The debris is quite possibly extending up into the ISS orbit.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/02/709032198/nasa-debris-from-indias-anti-satellite-test-raised-threat-to-space-station?t=1554233791910

I'm not sure quite why they (India) thought it necessary other than the usual regional dick swinging and the upcoming elections.

If one bothered to read non-western news sources it would have been obvious.

The three space powers of USA, China and Russia were meeting to agree on laws related to the weaponization of space, the Russians and Chinese were pushing for complete non-weaponization which most countries were behind but the Americans kept blocking it. India demonstrated it's anti-satellite tech in order to force it's way into the discussions which is what happened. Geopolitics 101.

Funny NASA condemned it but were nowhere to be seen when USA was bombing satellites and kicking of the militarization of space. Hypocrites!

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2187 on: July 22, 2019, 09:09:05 pm »
If one bothered to read non-western news sources it would have been obvious.

The three space powers of USA, China and Russia were meeting to agree on laws related to the weaponization of space, the Russians and Chinese were pushing for complete non-weaponization which most countries were behind but the Americans kept blocking it. India demonstrated it's anti-satellite tech in order to force it's way into the discussions which is what happened. Geopolitics 101.

Funny NASA condemned it but were nowhere to be seen when USA was bombing satellites and kicking of the militarization of space. Hypocrites!
What does NASA have to do with the militarization of space?

• Main Stander
« Reply #2188 on: July 22, 2019, 09:20:54 pm »
Their 'concern at space debris' was nowhere to be seen when the Americans were shooting down their own satellites not once but twice

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2189 on: July 22, 2019, 09:22:30 pm »
Their 'concern at space debris' was nowhere to be seen when the Americans were shooting down their own satellites not once but twice
My question was what does NASA have to do with this? The US military, yes, but NASA?

• Main Stander
« Reply #2190 on: July 22, 2019, 09:27:18 pm »
Erm, NASA condemned the Indian anti satellite test and was mute when the Americans were conducting their own tests. According to NASA it's a-ok when the yanks are doing it but god forbid anyone else look out for their own interests. Simple!

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2191 on: July 22, 2019, 09:55:55 pm »
Erm, NASA condemned the Indian anti satellite test and was mute when the Americans were conducting their own tests. According to NASA it's a-ok when the yanks are doing it but god forbid anyone else look out for their own interests. Simple!
I won't even bother answering, but you're well advised to read on the subject before making stupid uninformed comments. There is a long list of topics you can accuse the US in hypocrisy, maybe even NASA, but that ain't one of them. The US has had satellite destruction capability acquired without carrying a full test as did China and India. There is a way to not generate a shit-tons of debris. That's also how Mars landings are tested too when you can't test a process from start to end.

• Main Stander
« Reply #2192 on: July 22, 2019, 09:59:50 pm »
Right, Operation burnt frost and shooting down 193 never happened! Nothing to see here folks.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2193 on: July 22, 2019, 10:02:12 pm »
Right, Operation burnt frost and shooting down 193 never happened! Nothing to see here folks.
It's one thing to destroy a faulty spy satellite with unparalleled technology on board, quite another to destroy a satellite just to demonstrate capability.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2194 on: July 22, 2019, 10:13:02 pm »

Yeah but the two are not comparable mate,different orbits & whatnot.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Main Stander
« Reply #2195 on: July 22, 2019, 10:37:27 pm »
It's one thing to destroy a faulty spy satellite with unparalleled technology on board, quite another to destroy a satellite just to demonstrate capability.

The Americans are far superior at spinning the media and masking their true intentions I'll give them that. We have much to learn from them.

Quite interesting this 'faulty' satellite became a problem hot on the heels of the Chinese ASAT tests and unprecedented pressure for a space treaty. You'll believe what you want which is fine but as long as the Americans continue to weaoponize space we will make sure we are with them.

Back on topic, the Indian mission still needs to land which is the hardest part though the head of ISRO said this stage had no human input. Fingers crossed!!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2196 on: July 22, 2019, 11:26:29 pm »
If one bothered to read non-western news sources it would have been obvious...

Bravo.

You seem to want to demonstrate that attempts at regional dick swinging aren't just confined to Governments.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2197 on: July 22, 2019, 11:44:08 pm »
The Americans are far superior at spinning the media and masking their true intentions I'll give them that. We have much to learn from them.

Quite interesting this 'faulty' satellite became a problem hot on the heels of the Chinese ASAT tests and unprecedented pressure for a space treaty. You'll believe what you want which is fine but as long as the Americans continue to weaoponize space we will make sure we are with them.

Are you one of the conspiracy theorists or just plain ignorant? The 'faulty' satellite became faulty in January 2008, a year after the Chinese test. Hence the timing. It has fallen 10km in a week and it could not return to orbit even though it had nearly full tanks. The lower a satellite falls, the more drag it experiences and, already being below 250km, it had only a couple of weeks before falling. What would you suggest should have been done? Taken a chance on and left alone to fall wherever you live? I wouldn't want that shit in my backyard, but maybe you don't mind that. The chance for human casualties was at ~5%, which doesn't seem huge, but no other satellite risk was ever close to single percent, so it was a big issue. Mind you, hydrazine was a large contributor to the action but I think, personally, that the risk of imaging technology surviving the crash and falling in the wrong hands had something to do with the decision too. Things like that had happened in the past.

Please read on a topic before you continue to perpetuate bullshit. To an uninformed person the destruction of the satellite was a demonstration of technology. But the US didn't gain anything from showing off a capability they had since the late 60s, early 70s. The only military benefit from the test was the demonstration of a more conventional rocket used in a anti-IBM-like scenario. That opened a new class of anti-IBM arsenal. So, while the satellite had to be destroyed, with which even the Russians agreed, it was done in an experimental way that did have military hues. It was in no way demonstrating to the Chinese that "hey, we have that capability too, let's talk about space". Which is exactly what the Chinese and Indian tests were. Moreover, the USA-193 orbit was below 250km, whereas China and India put debris right where all LEO satellites are, including the ISS orbit at 400km.

Here is a light reading for you at your fingertips:
https://thediplomat.com/2019/05/why-indias-asat-test-was-reckless/
Red is the debris, white is the ISS orbit. There is more data in the article.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2198 on: July 22, 2019, 11:45:14 pm »
Good luck to Chandrayaan-2! Smooth landing and roving, but don't break the lunar speed limit. ;)

• Main Stander
« Reply #2199 on: July 23, 2019, 10:58:12 am »
"hey, we have that capability too, let's talk about space".

This is a very naive way of looking at things. The Iranians are on the verge of going nuclear. Are the Americans telling them to "talk about it" or are they doing anything possible to stop them from clearing that final hurdle?

Here is a light reading for you at your fingertips:
https://thediplomat.com/2019/05/why-indias-asat-test-was-reckless/
Red is the debris, white is the ISS orbit. There is more data in the article.

Yeah that 'space spatial expert' called a promotional video the DRDO put out to celebrate its achievements as 'propaganda'.  :butt

Sorry but that's going to be a no from me Jeff. Interesting to see none of these articles refer the ISRO guys who patiently explained why the test had a minimal chance of any long term impacts

Onwards and upwards to the manned mission in 2022 with our Russian brothers!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:02:06 am by great power rising »