Author Topic: America/Canada/Mexico hold the 2026 world cup  (Read 16380 times)

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: America/Canada/Mexico hold the 2026 world cup
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2022, 04:25:23 pm »
Vancouver is a fantastic place to visit barring the weather. Wouldn't mind going over for a couple of matches in Vancouver and Seattle.

Vancouver is dry and sunny in summer though, just a little bit chilly compared to other places in North America but similar to South England in terms of temperatures. I'd say go for it.
Linudden.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2022, 04:46:19 pm »
Wonder if they’ve fixed that big shadow over the Azteca centre circle yet.
I remember that as Diego was slaloming past players with Peter Reid (or maybe Steve Hodge) giving chase, before he took it round the Tory Shilton to score.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2022, 04:48:23 pm »
would have been nice to have had some in montreal, but the reasoning behind pulling out is justified.

never been in a WC country whilst its on so may go to toronto a catch some random (non england) game

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2022, 04:54:36 pm »
would have been nice to have had some in montreal, but the reasoning behind pulling out is justified.

never been in a WC country whilst its on so may go to toronto a catch some random (non england) game

99 % chance those three group games in Toronto are the two games of Canada and the third game in that group, so that's going to set you back some $$$ I'm afraid ;D
Linudden.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2022, 05:01:42 pm »
99 % chance those three group games in Toronto are the two games of Canada and the third game in that group, so that's going to set you back some $$$ I'm afraid ;D

Assuming Canada qualify, which is certainly not a guarantee. I'm interested to see what the CSA does with the Canadian games should they make it. I'm assuming it'll be all three Canada games in Toronto but putting the host nation in the smaller stadium of that host nation is kinda dumb, but we all know the World revolves around Torontp!!!!

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2022, 05:03:19 pm »
Assuming Canada qualify, which is certainly not a guarantee. I'm interested to see what the CSA does with the Canadian games should they make it. I'm assuming it'll be all three Canada games in Toronto but putting the host nation in the smaller stadium of that host nation is kinda dumb, but we all know the World revolves around Torontp!!!!

Canada, USA and Mexico will be automatic qualifiers under the 48-team system unless I've missed some radical rule changes? Also there are just two games. 16 x 3 = 48. Room for lots of Germany-Austria '82 match fixing then  :-X
Linudden.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2022, 05:03:58 pm »

prob be similar to seeing the habs at centre bell :P

my mate's apartment overlooks the bmo field. so ill just dissuade him from moving for 4 years perhaps...

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2022, 05:10:32 pm »
Canada, USA and Mexico will be automatic qualifiers under the 48-team system unless I've missed some radical rule changes? Also there are just two games. 16 x 3 = 48. Room for lots of Germany-Austria '82 match fixing then  :-X

I don't think its been confirmed that the 3 host nations qualify?

I forgot about the 48 team thing

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2022, 05:27:25 pm »

They do. There's literally no point applying for the World Cup if you can't be certain to be in it. Too much money at stake.
Linudden.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2022, 05:29:16 pm »

It hasn't been confirmed by FIFA that all 3 auto qualify but surely they'll find a way to ensure it.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2022, 05:29:43 pm »
These threads always remind me that for people in the UK 81F and above (27C) is somehow equivalent to the surface of the sun whereas for most of the US that's actually a pretty balmy summer temp. Most outdoor sports here are played regularly at even hotter temps without seemingly any concern so it's always a bit odd to hear that's a concern.

Aside from that, obviously disappointing that some cities didn't want to host due to the crazy cost sharing splits with FIFA. I also think snubbing the Rose Bowl was stupid. Yes SoFi is newer and temperature controlled but there's just something about major events at the Rose Bowl that adds something special. Especially as it was the site of the final for the last WC here.

At least we're not changing our laws or building albatross stadiums for it. Whether you consider the US sufficiently soccer/football crazy or not we are probably the only country outside of Germany that could host this without lifting a finger based on the sports infrastructure in place as is.

The USA stadiums look fine , but are they good for viewing football from. I once went to a game at the old giants stadium and couldn’t see the near touchline.

They probably won't have the intimacy of the soccer specific stadiums in the UK because stadiums here just aren't built like that but they'll all have good sightlines as most are relatively "new" except Arrowhead in Kansas City and Arrowhead has been refurbished and supposedly is pretty nice. I can only thing of Wrigley and Fenway that still sell restricted view seats in any major sport league here. Obviously they aren't being used for this.

Also keep in mind that since the US is so car centric most Stadiums are located in the middle of no where to help with the flow of traffic. The byproduct of this is it's pretty typical to tail gate for hours before sporting events in the parking lot to try to avoid traffic and also get so fed and loaded that you don't need to spend $20 for a beer or $15 for a burger. Basically think of going to your local pub before a game but instead it's a parking lot and people bring their own grills and drinks.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2022, 05:39:43 pm »
Brits on here complaining about the "heat" in the UK and complaining about distances between things in the UK never fails to crack me up. In for a rude awakening on both coming over here.   ;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2022, 05:44:00 pm »
Brits on here complaining about the "heat" in the UK and complaining about distances between things in the UK never fails to crack me up. In for a rude awakening on both coming over here.   ;D

Hey I'm from Sweden, less dense than Texas by far and I've done bike rides at high 80's F I'm no spring chicken ;D

That being said, good luck with a heat wave in tightly insulated houses with no A/C here with the late sunsets meaning the sun steams in until 9 pm through the glass! That's the real heat to worry about. 29/17 sounds like a breeze to you but not so much in this environment. In 2018 on a 31°C day I got dizzy enough that I had to go out in the sun, ride a bike 11 miles to the archipelago seacoast and jump straight in. Was still cooler outdoors than in here. Being in A/C-ville, TX, so long as you stay indoors you're good!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 05:47:35 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2022, 05:50:26 pm »
Hey I'm from Sweden, less dense than Texas by far and I've done bike rides at high 80's F I'm no spring chicken ;D

That being said, good luck with a heat wave in tightly insulated houses with no A/C here with the late sunsets meaning the sun steams in until 9 pm through the glass! That's the real heat to worry about. 29/17 sounds like a breeze to you but not so much in this environment. In 2018 on a 31°C day I got dizzy enough that I had to go out in the sun, ride a bike 11 miles to the archipelago seacoast and jump straight in. Was still cooler outdoors than in here. Being in A/C-ville, TX, so long as you stay indoors you're good!

;D

And listen, I'll give you credit with being able to handle the cold. When it gets below 40F here, we're total wimps. Can't hold a candle to you northern Europeans, you have us soundly beat with dealing with the cold. Half this state froze up and shut down in February of '21 when we had temps stay below freezing for five days straight.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2022, 05:54:52 pm »

;D

And listen, I'll give you credit with being able to handle the cold. When it gets below 40F here, I'm a total wimp. Can't hold a candle to you northern Europeans, you have us soundly beat with dealing with the cold.

We're grade-A wimps when it comes to cold temperatures in fact we whine all the time about them! Having said that, when work comes along and there's single-digit Fahrenheit weather I'm taking the bike everytime. Even with the humid open sea next door making it absolutely unbearable ;D

Either way, I'd soundly deal with the Texas heat so long as the A/C worked. You just go inside and the heat stroke threat has vanished! The real problem is if the power goes out and you can't hide, then Texas is lethal in summer. Generally you can play football relatively well at 30°C if the sun is low and you have A/C for the players in the stadium. It's the during the day thing in NYC, KC, Philadelphia, Miami et cetera that would be very difficult.
Linudden.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2022, 05:56:09 pm »
As excited as I am to have matches nearby (though I shudder to think how much tickets will cost), I can't see 'Boston' being a good idea. I put the city's name in quotes because Gillette Stadium is not in Boston; it's in a town called Foxborough, which is 45+ minutes south of the city in the middle of typical highway-corridor suburban sprawl. Games there are great for locals, and I'm happy about that, but visitors? I'm trying to find an equivalent in the UK, but I really can't. Similarly placed towns in England at least have some picturesque old buildings and a museum or two to occupy a couple of days.

I imagine they'll add a couple of public transport options for the matches (there is currently one train back and forth from the city for Patriots games) which will make staying in Boston feasible, but if not, and you have to stay somewhere around Foxborough, make damn sure you rent a car!

They managed to cope with games in 94,at the old shitbowl stadium so 4 years to figure out some better train schedules!But it's a complete pain in the ass to get there,i stopped going to Revs games when my roommate and his car moved out.Don't  forget Providence is an option it's about equal distance as Boston to the stadium.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:10:31 pm by Boston always unofficial »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2022, 05:58:09 pm »
I was just looking at the venues map and that big heavily-populated hole in the middle where there are no games is a bit weird.  Even Brazil put on games in the Pantanal and the Amazon.

I kind of think the US should maybe have made even more of a feature out of it and made this an Eastern or Western US World Cup, and then bid again to do the other one eight years later.  Fifa would bite their hands off, you’d think - as the Olympics are finding, they’re going to be struggling to lug their behemoth tourney around the globe if there’s ever a downturn.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2022, 05:58:59 pm »
We're grade-A wimps when it comes to cold temperatures in fact we whine all the time about them! Having said that, when work comes along and there's single-digit Fahrenheit weather I'm taking the bike everytime. Even with the humid open sea next door making it absolutely unbearable ;D

Either way, I'd soundly deal with the Texas heat so long as the A/C worked. You just go inside and the heat stroke threat has vanished! The real problem is if the power goes out and you can't hide, then Texas is lethal in summer. Generally you can play football relatively well at 30°C if the sun is low and you have A/C for the players in the stadium. It's the during the day thing in NYC, KC, Philadelphia, Miami et cetera that would be very difficult.

All fair points. June-September, if I'm not on a golf course, you'll find me inside my house with the AC running or in a pool with a cold beer in my hand.

Disappointed to hear that you're wimps too with the cold, must make those short summers all the more glorious for y'all!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2022, 06:03:37 pm »
The distances that Americans deem to be "normal" really aren't, people in America happily commute for 3 or 4 hours to work everyday, that's madness, I'm not freelance/contracting anymore and I work in one place 3 miles away, and I can be home in 10 minutes, no job is worth commuting that much per week.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2022, 06:22:16 pm »
All fair points. June-September, if I'm not on a golf course, you'll find me inside my house with the AC running or in a pool with a cold beer in my hand.

Disappointed to hear that you're wimps too with the cold, must make those short summers all the more glorious for y'all!

The thing is that you'd be surprised at how mild winters really are in Europe. For reference. Purely looking at 24-hour January overnight lows. Lower differences between day and night here.

Liverpool = warmer nights by far than Myrtle Beach (SC)
Reykjavík = warmer nights than downtown Manhattan
Rřst Island = warmer nights than Washington DC above the Arctic Circle
Portsmouth = warmer nights than Dallas
Stockholm = warmer nights than Boston
Oslo = warmer nights than Kansas City
Saint Petersburg = warmer nights than Milwaukee
Perm near Siberia = warmer nights than Duluth (MN)
Oulu in Arctic Finland = warmer nights than Minneapolis and similar days
Gijón (N Spain) = warmer nights than Jacksonville
A Coruńa (NW Spain) = warmer nights than Santa Barbara (CA)

The coldest settlement existing in Western Europe of Karasjok in NE Norway is still slightly warmer in January than Winnipeg! This means southern Canada's innermost parts are most often colder than even the inner high Arctic regions of Scandinavia.

In other words, trees and plants find it easier to survive in Liverpool than in South Carolina due to the less frequent cold snaps. So we experience a lot less than what people think over there :wave All of these are strong so-called latitudal anomalies.

Still, I can deal with the cold. I don't like it but I know tens of millions of Americans have it way worse than my town does. Some winters, the shallow near-freshwater bay doesn't even freeze over and there's no sight of snow for months  :-X
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:35:07 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2022, 06:43:38 pm »
I was just looking at the venues map and that big heavily-populated hole in the middle where there are no games is a bit weird.  Even Brazil put on games in the Pantanal and the Amazon.

I kind of think the US should maybe have made even more of a feature out of it and made this an Eastern or Western US World Cup, and then bid again to do the other one eight years later.  Fifa would bite their hands off, you’d think - as the Olympics are finding, they’re going to be struggling to lug their behemoth tourney around the globe if there’s ever a downturn.

For starters, because of how toxic Trump seemed we didn't want to bid just as the US but with Canada and Mexico to make it more palatable. I doubt if Clinton had won instead that the bid would have been multi-national. We could certainly do the whole tournament in one region of the country but politically that's probably a bridge too far.

As far as the "big hole in the middle", it's actually not heavily-populated outside of certain Metro areas and of those none wanted to host but Denver. The actual list of cities that would meet FIFA's demands were quite small actually. Here's the full list with the Bolded the chosen cities.

Arlington, Texas (AT&T Stadium)
Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)

Baltimore (M&T Bank Stadium)
Cincinnati (Paul Brown Stadium)
Denver (Empower Field at Mile High Stadium)
East Rutherford, N.J. (MetLife Stadium)
Foxboro, Mass. (Gillette Stadium)
Houston (NRG Stadium)
Inglewood, Calif. (SoFi Stadium)
Kansas City, Mo. (Arrowhead Stadium)
Miami Gardens, Fla. (Hard Rock Stadium)

Nashville, Tenn. (Nissan Stadium)
Orlando, Fla. (Camping World Stadium)
Pasadena, Calif. (Rose Bowl)
Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field)
Santa Clara, Calif. (Levi's Stadium)
Seattle (Lumen Field)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:45:45 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2022, 06:58:19 pm »
Sorry, by ‘hole in the middle’ I was meaning the Midwest - plenty of big cities there and at least some of them either hosted before or have mls teams.  I can’t get my head around not having anything in Chicago for example.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:00:25 pm by Iska »

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2022, 07:03:22 pm »
Had it not been for the NFL, a late autumn World Cup in the southern and western states might actually have been on!

Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Diego
Sacramento
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Austin
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio
New Orleans
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Orlando
Tampa
Miami

Entirely doable with 16 different markets mind :D Sidesteps all complaints about heat waves.
Linudden.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2022, 07:14:09 pm »
Sorry, by ‘hole in the middle’ I was meaning the Midwest - plenty of big cities there and at least some of them either hosted before or have mls teams.  I can’t get my head around not having anything in Chicago for example.

Chicago didn't want to host due to the costs that FIFA wants the cities to incur by hosting games. As I posted there weren't all that many cities that did actually want to host.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2022, 07:19:27 pm »
Well good on them, really - shame to miss out, but that whole sponsorship and tax breaks profit-chasing regime has been blanding out, and worse, the tournament for far too long.

PS speaking of odd scheduling, Spain 1982 had the opening match in the Nou Camp, and then doesn’t seem to have had a single game in either Madrid or Barcelona until it got to the second round - whereupon *all* the games bar one were in those two cities.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:22:33 pm by Iska »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2022, 07:34:18 pm »

Bring your bike to Texas.   ;D

https://www.hh100.org/
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2022, 07:35:10 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CP7J7ohu8vo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CP7J7ohu8vo</a> 

Fuck knows what it will be like in 4 years!!

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2022, 07:37:47 pm »

You live in a country that is too fucking hot and far too spread out, not really great reasons for trying to gloat to be honest.  ;D

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2022, 08:09:02 pm »
Fuck knows what it will be like in 4 years!!
Looks like a good opportunity for the right coach to be honest. “Get it in the mix-ahhh!!”

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2022, 04:10:21 pm »
You live in a country that is too fucking hot and far too spread out, not really great reasons for trying to gloat to be honest.  ;D
I have family in Australia and found that to be the same to be honest - the 'suburbs' for some of the Cities are 40 miles outside of the city.

I live closer to Liverpool than that and Liverpool is not even the City closest to me. I've had to commute 90 minutes in the past and see that as far too much. Don't like my 40 minute commute into the City now, never mind trekking hours.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2022, 05:57:01 pm »
herculez gomez
@herculezg
2026 World Cup final in New York or Los Angeles?

Neither. 🫠

@espnsutcliffe
 reporting it will be in Dallas. . . Jerryland.  🏟

Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/herculezg/status/1574780829959540737

The eyes of the world may be on..........Arlington, Texas.

Apologies in advance. ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2022, 05:59:47 pm »
Aztecta or we riot.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2022, 06:10:05 pm »
Aztecta or we riot.

lol, riot where?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2022, 10:08:10 pm »
You're an idiot aren't you?

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2022, 11:03:01 pm »
You're an idiot aren't you?

Not the one suggesting the Azteca host a final for a tournament that Mexico is barely involved in or paying for.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2022, 11:21:39 pm »
Build a World Cup and make Mexico pay for it

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2022, 11:31:16 pm »
Put 2 games in Hawaii, would be a laugh.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2022, 11:33:07 pm »
The eyes of the world may be on..........Arlington, Texas.

Apologies in advance. ;D

Would be a weird choice, if New York and LA might be options. No offence to Dallas, which is probably a nice city, but for international visitors I think New York or LA would be a bigger draw... ;)

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2022, 01:13:54 am »
Would be a weird choice, if New York and LA might be options. No offence to Dallas, which is probably a nice city, but for international visitors I think New York or LA would be a bigger draw... ;)

I'm sure there are some corporate shenanigans involved in regards to the different stadiums and whether their suite owners are willing to pony up the money or not for that game. Just one of the Wells Fargo suites at Staples Center was like $350k per year minimum plus then the event food/drink costs and whatever, I think the last year I was involved in this in 2018 our overall costs approached $700k. Due to that there would be certain one off concerts or events where they would let Staples sublease the suite. I'm sure the costs are even higher at NFL level stadiums such as Meadowlands or SoFi or Jerryworld so if you're not getting a lot of uptake and FIFA is expecting a certain cut then that probably would make the decision pretty easy.

Also Dallas and Houston are pretty major flight hubs for South American flights into and out of the country. If one of the countries in the final was from a South American country then it would actually be easier to get to for them being in Dallas than it would most other cities.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2022, 01:15:44 am »
Expect Jerry World is the biggest stadium. I don't think they player want to play 3pm game outside at Metlife. Unless they going to run the World Cup final at Prime time in the US when it very late at night in Europe.
Sofi the game would likely be pretty early in the day. Dallas can run 2 or 3 local time and have an indoor stadium too. MetLife would have to get of the tuff, Sofi irc as some field size issue it has to work out. There been friendlies at Jerry World before and doesn't shock me it would be the venue.
WC final in Brazil was 4pm Local time(3pm EST)