Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1407343 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #1920 on: December 31, 2018, 03:13:30 pm »
It's not just one game. If we get the 3 points on Thursday it would be massive. We can lose and still have a great chance, but if we win we are 10 clear of City, 9 clear of Spurs with 17 games left. This is probably our most important league game in the last 30 years for what it could mean if we win.

But it is still three points.

If we lose then key is to not lose our heads.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #1921 on: December 31, 2018, 03:18:09 pm »
It's not just one game. If we get the 3 points on Thursday it would be massive. We can lose and still have a great chance, but if we win we are 10 clear of City, 9 clear of Spurs with 17 games left. This is probably our most important league game in the last 30 years for what it could mean if we win.

I get what you are saying, but churlishly perhaps, our most important league game in the last 30 years was against Chelsea in April 2014. If we had avoided defeat in that game, we would surely have gone on to win the league. This game is not quite of the same magnitude as there is still about half a season left. Nothing will be set in stone on Thursday. And yes, I am still struggling to expunge all memories of that Chelsea match. I'm not sure that I'd ever be able to forget the forlorn feeling of desolation after that game.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #1922 on: December 31, 2018, 03:18:36 pm »
But it is still three points.

If we lose then key is to not lose our heads.

Agreed, it's important if we lose that we don't capitulate. City have reacted badly to their defeat at Chelsea by losing 2 more times in their next 3.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1923 on: December 31, 2018, 03:20:12 pm »
Agreed, it's important if we lose that we don't capitulate. City have reacted badly to their defeat at Chelsea by losing 2 more times in their next 3.

The media will hype it but other teams who win the league lose to rivals.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #1924 on: December 31, 2018, 03:20:46 pm »
I get what you are saying, but churlishly perhaps, our most important league game in the last 30 years was against Chelsea in April 2014. If we had avoided defeat in that game, we would surely have gone on to win the league. This game is not quite of the same magnitude as there is still about half a season left. Nothing will be set in stone on Thursday. And yes, I am still struggling to expunge all memories of that Chelsea match. I'm not sure that I'd ever be able to forget the forlorn feeling of desolation after that game.

I think I've repressed memory of that game. I'll rephrase then, this is our second most important league game in 30 years. :thumbup
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:22:26 pm by KissThisGuy »

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1925 on: December 31, 2018, 03:31:36 pm »
Been doing some (basic) maths.

With 18 left to play, if we take peak form for City, 16 wins and 2 draws for them would give them 97 points.

We could hit 98 with 13 wins and 5 draws.

Simply put, a strong position, even more so with a win on Thursday.

Not getting carried away yet, but, I might do soon.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #1926 on: December 31, 2018, 03:37:49 pm »

*if* we end up winning 19 this season, I'll consider the memories of the 13/14 Chelsea and Crystal Palace games purged... or, at least, completely powerless and ineffective ;D

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1927 on: December 31, 2018, 03:38:37 pm »
This City are arguably the best team in the premiership era, no way this is over, even if we win.

So if and I mean if... we pick up the trophy in May what does that make us?
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1928 on: December 31, 2018, 03:40:39 pm »
Only worth considering what we need after Thursday but then for me it’s a case of seeing what is the maximum points City can get and then how many we’ll need to be sure. If we avoid defeat it’s huge as I think they could only get 99 if they won their last 17. They’re capable of a huge winning run but that looks too tough with League Cup and European distractions and a build up of games. Still think something like 95 would be certain for us to win it if we can avoid defeat on Thursday. 41 from 17...still seems a lot but not nearly as daunting as needing 100+.

I’ll stop there before I contradict my opening line any further!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: December 31, 2018, 03:43:12 pm »
Yeah what I mean is overall. We don't have the quality of a Fernandinho or Silva, although we have players who can come close.
Also in reserve, we're not as strong as them individually. Take Jesus for example- and that's only 1.

At the back, we piss all over them, but that's it.

Yeah.  They clearly have some individual players superior to us; but we have a superior team ethos, with less reliance on any one player.  It's a far cry from the days we'd be hoping Gerrard would drag us over the line, for example.

We just a better balanced unit right now, all over the pitch.  But we still have to prove it for another 18 games.  Nobody wins anything for going half a season unbeaten.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1930 on: December 31, 2018, 03:43:49 pm »
The media will hype it but other teams who win the league lose to rivals.

United used to do it surprisingly often. Lost twice to us in 08/09. I remember them losing to Chelsea but still winning it when they were going head to head. They won titles because they usually were best at beating the rest. So far we’ve been that team, if we continue that it doesn’t matter what City do.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #1931 on: December 31, 2018, 03:44:16 pm »
*if* we end up winning 19 this season, I'll consider the memories of the 13/14 Chelsea and Crystal Palace games purged... or, at least, completely powerless and ineffective ;D

It's shameful I know, but I think the Chelsea game broke me as a football fan. I couldn't take any joy from watching the game for a long while, but that season eventually gave me perspective that at the end of the day one shouldn't lose oneself in wallow, let alone over football. Those low moments make you cherish the high ones all the more, or at least that's how I try and delude myself. Something about triumph and failure being two imposters...
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #1932 on: December 31, 2018, 03:52:34 pm »
So if and I mean if... we pick up the trophy in May what does that make us?

lucky redshite media darlings that had a pact with the devil and seized the opportunity when the mighty Manchester City decided to lend us their title for a year.

(that was my attempt at a Steve0/St Domingo/Davek impression)

It's shameful I know, but I think the Chelsea game broke me as a football fan. I couldn't take any joy from watching the game for a long while, but that season eventually gave me perspective that at the end of the day one shouldn't lose oneself in wallow, let alone over football. Those low moments make you cherish the high ones all the more, or at least that's how I try and delude myself. Something about triumph and failure being two imposters...

I totally get that, I was fucking distraught for a while after the Chelsea game. It felt like the cruelest joke in the universe.

But then again, it passed - and even if we've had to endure a lot of mediocrity in the years since, we've also had incredible moments to savor and cherish - hell, even with the heartbreak in Kiev 2018 might be one of the best calendar years (if not the best) we've had in a loooooong time!
So... yeah, that's why I said that if we win it, I'll consider those heartbreaking moments purged or ineffective - because, despite those moments, and despite the heartbreak and anger and the jeers and endless amount of shit rival supporters have given us through the years, we pushed through. And they were left in the dust.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: December 31, 2018, 03:56:19 pm »
Every game is vital and important, but we've played most of the tough away fixtures already in this first part of the season. We have City[A],Everton[A],United[A], left. I am sure all of other other clubs fighting for relegation will be difficult to play against away from home but the toughest ones for the most part we've already played which is great considering our home record.

It's a famous saying that teams fighting relegation in the closing stage of the season can be dangerous to play against; but when you're playing like Liverpool are right now those teams will look to pick their battles and look for winnable points.  GD can be critical to the relegation fight and they've just seen Arsenal get absolutely bummed - they wont want that to happen to them as well.

Been doing some (basic) maths.

With 18 left to play, if we take peak form for City, 16 wins and 2 draws for them would give them 97 points.

We could hit 98 with 13 wins and 5 draws.

Simply put, a strong position, even more so with a win on Thursday.

Not getting carried away yet, but, I might do soon.

You make such an important point here that it needs to be emphasised: for all the talk about City's slump, both them and us are still operating at an insane level of performance.  It's like F1, where just a few tenths of a second can be the difference between first and fifth - the margin between success and failure really has become that tight.

To go back to the 87-88 season for context, we won 26 games that year; for comparison, in 08-09 we won 25.

This season, based on your own reckoning, we would need 30 wins to be sure of the title.  And playing two games less than in 87-88.  That's a level that will blow every other title winning side we have ever had out of the water.

Of course it's doable, but it's an eye watering challenge, made even crazier by the fact we currently seem more than capable of doing it!

Popcorn's Art

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1934 on: December 31, 2018, 03:58:39 pm »
United used to do it surprisingly often. Lost twice to us in 08/09. I remember them losing to Chelsea but still winning it when they were going head to head. They won titles because they usually were best at beating the rest. So far we’ve been that team, if we continue that it doesn’t matter what City do.

Indeed. Winning the title six-pointers is good, but it's more important to put the other teams to bed in every game, in order to make those 6-pointers relevant. We're doing that right now. Right now, City are hitting a speed bump in that part of the equation. As long as we continue to beat teams 5-20, we'll do alright.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1935 on: December 31, 2018, 04:05:38 pm »
It's not over until it's mathematically impossible for the team in 2nd to overtake us on points or equal us on points with a  better GD or if those are equal, have scored more goals than us.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1936 on: December 31, 2018, 04:12:51 pm »
You make such an important point here that it needs to be emphasised: for all the talk about City's slump, both them and us are still operating at an insane level of performance.  It's like F1, where just a few tenths of a second can be the difference between first and fifth - the margin between success and failure really has become that tight.

To go back to the 87-88 season for context, we won 26 games that year; for comparison, in 08-09 we won 25.

This season, based on your own reckoning, we would need 30 wins to be sure of the title.  And playing two games less than in 87-88.  That's a level that will blow every other title winning side we have ever had out of the water.

Of course it's doable, but it's an eye watering challenge, made even crazier by the fact we currently seem more than capable of doing it!

Yep, it's why I fully believe in the mantra that Klopp has been preaching. Next Game.

When it's broken down into small, manageable parts, with complete focus on one thing, then the bigger picture takes care of itself. If he'd walked into that changing room at the start of August and said "Right lads, we need to win at least 30 games this season, and not lose more than 5 of the rest" imagine the pressure they're under immediately. Instead he's said "West Ham, this is what I want you to do" - we win. "Well done, now, eat right, rest right, then do this to beat Palace" - we win. "Great fighting performance lads, lovely late goal Sadio - now, rest, recover and focus on doing this versus X"

You can see this is what the squad's leaders are buying into and believing - Henderson, Milner, Van Dijk, Robbo - all of them are saying and believing it. It's why I don't believe for a second the talk I've seen of people saying they'll be looking at City's results, thinking about points gaps etc - they're just thinking about the next game. I don't think this is easy for a second, and Klopp, the staff, everyone, deserves great credit for getting the squad working consistently in this way.

We can do maths, get excited, look at previous winners and benchmarks etc - but the players - Next game. Next game. Next game.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #1937 on: December 31, 2018, 04:13:25 pm »
I totally get that, I was fucking distraught for a while after the Chelsea game. It felt like the cruelest joke in the universe.

But then again, it passed - and even if we've had to endure a lot of mediocrity in the years since, we've also had incredible moments to savor and cherish - hell, even with the heartbreak in Kiev 2018 might be one of the best calendar years (if not the best) we've had in a loooooong time!
So... yeah, that's why I said that if we win it, I'll consider those heartbreaking moments purged or ineffective - because, despite those moments, and despite the heartbreak and anger and the jeers and endless amount of shit rival supporters have given us through the years, we pushed through. And they were left in the dust.

Rival supporters can get to fuck, they are just background noise and have never really impacted how I view football or support the club. But after the ride that was 2013-14, the football that we played was so joyously infectious, the best I've seen Liverpool play over the last 2 decades, the way it ended was so utterly devastating that I started wondering why I let football results get to me. Truth be told, I have never regained that rabid passion for the game, so much so that I could view the result in Kiev with a mere shrug of the shoulders.

But this season feels different, I've been reeled back in. The team seems so dispassionately calculated in how it is churning results relentlessly. It reminds me of the best Manchester United teams under Ferguson, there was an inevitability about them being champions at the end of the season. For once, that inevitability is reassuring. Now I may be wrong, but this team has enough about it, in part because of the disappointment in Kiev, to "go again".
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1938 on: December 31, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
City are closer to fourth than first. They should be looking over their shoulders, so fuck 'em.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1939 on: December 31, 2018, 04:25:04 pm »
Indeed. Winning the title six-pointers is good, but it's more important to put the other teams to bed in every game, in order to make those 6-pointers relevant. We're doing that right now. Right now, City are hitting a speed bump in that part of the equation. As long as we continue to beat teams 5-20, we'll do alright.

Exactly this. In 08/09 we beat United twice, we beat Chelsea twice, and drew with Arsenal twice, but we didn't win the league.

United were more consistent regardless of us beating them twice.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1940 on: December 31, 2018, 04:40:50 pm »
Yep, it's why I fully believe in the mantra that Klopp has been preaching. Next Game.

When it's broken down into small, manageable parts, with complete focus on one thing, then the bigger picture takes care of itself. If he'd walked into that changing room at the start of August and said "Right lads, we need to win at least 30 games this season, and not lose more than 5 of the rest" imagine the pressure they're under immediately. Instead he's said "West Ham, this is what I want you to do" - we win. "Well done, now, eat right, rest right, then do this to beat Palace" - we win. "Great fighting performance lads, lovely late goal Sadio - now, rest, recover and focus on doing this versus X"

You can see this is what the squad's leaders are buying into and believing - Henderson, Milner, Van Dijk, Robbo - all of them are saying and believing it. It's why I don't believe for a second the talk I've seen of people saying they'll be looking at City's results, thinking about points gaps etc - they're just thinking about the next game. I don't think this is easy for a second, and Klopp, the staff, everyone, deserves great credit for getting the squad working consistently in this way.

We can do maths, get excited, look at previous winners and benchmarks etc - but the players - Next game. Next game. Next game.

Our team is full of leaders, and there doesn't seem to be any egos either.  Everybody is pulling for everybody else.  It really is amazing.  These commanding presences all over the park is, I think, making a critical difference.

I think we might have had a slice of luck at the start of the season when we clearly weren't firing on all cylinders - in the past we might have come away with dodgy results that would put us at a disadvantage now.  But this year everything seems to have clicked. 

And really, if teams want to blame look, who are we to argue?  They're just putting themselves at a disadvantage because they start to believe how they perform is irrelevant, because we are getting lucky and you can't plan for that.  We've done it ourselves, but usually with fixtures in isolation, like when we come up against United.

But whereas Arsenal and Spurs rode luck that eventually had to run out, we got some lucky breaks but still had the quality to see things through and make those breaks count.  The rest is all our own work.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1941 on: December 31, 2018, 04:55:32 pm »
It's not over until it's mathematically impossible for the team in 2nd to overtake us on points or equal us on points with a  better GD or if those are equal, have scored more goals than us.

I'm sure you got the lyrics wrong there, Rush :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/]v/TmENMZFUU_0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/]v/TmENMZFUU_0</a>
Better looking than Samie.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1942 on: December 31, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »
One game at a time. Simple as that. One game at a time. A win or a draw in Manchester and that’s a big step but it is still only 3 points. I try not to look at the fixtures. A positive result and we have gotten a step closer but that’s all.  Once we get this game over us we can worry about the next one. One game at a time.

Should be the only post on here
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #1943 on: December 31, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »

agreed.

I mentioned it before - I think we, as fans, are allowed to get excited and fantasize about the title. We can dream about it, talk about it, believe we are closer than ever before, all that. We totally can. It's not like we, as fans, decide the outcome of the matches, right? Our influence extends to the boys in the pitch in a very direct, but ultimately not definitive (or quantifiable) way: we can lift them up, we can make our opponents feel nervous or shaken, but in the end, it's those 11 players wearing red that define the result.

And they have to take the opposite route. They have to be cautious and focused, single-minded and grounded. They have to think only of their next opponent instead of getting carried away. That's what works. That's how it's done.
In my opinion, there's only two main things that can stand in our way (and they're not exactly other teams): complacency and injuries. The first one I'm sure Klopp and his staff are constantly making sure don't take root in our squad, so I'm not completely worried about it. I just know they'll find a way to keep the lads constantly hungry and sharp, and avoid thinking they've already "made it". The second one, on the other hand, is what worries me beyond even our closest rivals - because they're mostly out of our hands (players, manager, supporters). It could happen in training. There could be a bad timed tackle from an opposition player in a "nothing" game. Maybe it's rotten luck in an international break. It could happen, but... even then, we just have to believe Klopp & co. have a way of making the team not lose focus, and just carry on. Because they have to.

So... what if we end up not winning it? It won't be because of our fantasies and our calculations and our obsessively poring through the fixture list. And yes, it would be heartbreaking and it'd be an awful way of ending the season... but it won't be because of us. So my thinking is... don't shut yourself off. Don't deprive yourself of the joy, of the exhilaration, of that feeling of tingling throughout your entire body and your heart trying to burst out of your chest when you think these Red Men are on the hunt for 19 - don't deprive yourself of the whole experience, the dreams, the fantasies, the smiles and the glories to come. Don't be overtly cautious. Live. Sing. Shout. Wave your scarf, wear your heart on your sleeve, sing those songs and light that pyro and make the team feel loved and supported every step of the way. Dream and let them make those dreams into reality. You live.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: December 31, 2018, 05:20:40 pm »
So... what if we end up not winning it? It won't be because of our fantasies and our calculations and our obsessively poring through the fixture list. And yes, it would be heartbreaking and it'd be an awful way of ending the season... but it won't be because of us. So my thinking is... don't shut yourself off. Don't deprive yourself of the joy, of the exhilaration, of that feeling of tingling throughout your entire body and your heart trying to burst out of your chest when you think these Red Men are on the hunt for 19 - don't deprive yourself of the whole experience, the dreams, the fantasies, the smiles and the glories to come. Don't be overtly cautious. Live. Sing. Shout. Wave your scarf, wear your heart on your sleeve, sing those songs and light that pyro and make the team feel loved and supported every step of the way. Dream and let them make those dreams into reality. You live.

Well well said. A lot of the times for some reason people connect optimism on here to whatever the team is feeling or if we are underestimating a certain side that the players will do the same. The only thing we can do is show them our support in matches, but we have no other impact on how they play and how they approach games.

Offline greatbritton

• Anny Roader
  • As Always, I am Focused on Supporting My Manager
« Reply #1945 on: December 31, 2018, 05:25:57 pm »
Nah, it's over if we win. They'd need to play the rest of the season at around 100 point pace and we'd need to drop to around 4th-5th place pace for them to overhaul us, that's just not happening.

Infact, if we win I expect we'll extend even further away, they'll just quit on the season and go for the CL.

important point on their priorities. They are still in all four competitions right now, and have an easy draw in the quarterfinals of the champions league. If we draw or win on Thursday, they have a much better chance at winning the champions league - the competition they would prefer to win anyway if given the choice.

Even if we lose, they play Schalke on Feb 20 and March 12th. That's three days before they play Everton away and united away respectively, which are two of their toughest games remaining.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1946 on: December 31, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »

Parklife.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: December 31, 2018, 05:48:40 pm »
I'm sure you got the lyrics wrong there, Rush :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/]v/TmENMZFUU_0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/]v/TmENMZFUU_0</a>
[emoji3]

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1948 on: December 31, 2018, 05:54:39 pm »
Parklife.
Oooh, thanks mate.

Close to me too - Kirstenbosch Gardens

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1949 on: December 31, 2018, 06:38:59 pm »
important point on their priorities. They are still in all four competitions right now, and have an easy draw in the quarterfinals of the champions league. If we draw or win on Thursday, they have a much better chance at winning the champions league - the competition they would prefer to win anyway if given the choice.

Even if we lose, they play Schalke on Feb 20 and March 12th. That's three days before they play Everton away and united away respectively, which are two is one of their toughest games remaining.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: December 31, 2018, 07:39:48 pm »
It really does not matter what occurs Thursday as with nearly half the season left, anything could happen. You only have to look at us 4 years ago when we were well clear of City with just 4 games left. We had all the momentum after beating them, you could see, hell touch the finishing line and ......so whatever happens Thursday neither team will be counting their chickens and City (Pep) are way too cute to put their tools down if they lose and if they win then its up to us to go on a winning run again. Its a big game no doubt about that but if you ask me would I prefer 9 points against Leicester, Palace n Brighton v a guaranteed 3 from City and whos knows from the next three games then give me the 9 points.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1951 on: December 31, 2018, 07:52:05 pm »
It really does not matter what occurs Thursday as with nearly half the season left, anything could happen. You only have to look at us 4 years ago when we were well clear of City with just 4 games left. We had all the momentum after beating them, you could see, hell touch the finishing line and ......so whatever happens Thursday neither team will be counting their chickens and City (Pep) are way too cute to put their tools down if they lose and if they win then its up to us to go on a winning run again. Its a big game no doubt about that but if you ask me would I prefer 9 points against Leicester, Palace n Brighton v a guaranteed 3 from City and whos knows from the next three games then give me the 9 points.

We’re so much more controlled and consistent now though.

I fucking loved that team, but it was absolutely bonkers. From
January the games against Stoke, Fulham, Swansea, Cardiff, Norwich and even the City game were all nuts ‘we’ll score more than you so who cares’. And it felt that destined because we kept winning but there really wasn’t much control. It was like them blokes who chase wheels of cheese down steep hills.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1952 on: December 31, 2018, 08:05:28 pm »

January the games against Stoke, Fulham, Swansea, Cardiff, Norwich and even the City game were all nuts ‘we’ll score more than you so who cares’. And it felt that destined because we kept winning but there really wasn’t much control. It was like them blokes who chase wheels of cheese down steep hills.

It was nuts indeed as the roller coaster was in full flow but at then same time we won like 12 or 13 games between Jan 1 and the loss v Chelsea. The manner of our play may have been more edge of the seat that season but we were flying it and very consistent by amassing 44 points out of a possible 48 before Chelsea. That consistency from this Jan onwards will give us the title.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #1953 on: December 31, 2018, 08:06:37 pm »
Bit worried about Thursday to be honest, and just hoping it won't be a turning point in our, so far, great season.

I mean, we've been doing well but its the Etihad. The intimidation factor will be phenomenal as usual.

No doubt it'll start, as always, with the normal fucking rabid bus welcome when we arrive. I'm sorry, but they're fucking nuts and I don't mind admitting it scares the shit out of me  :(

Oh well. Fingers crossed  :-\

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #1954 on: December 31, 2018, 08:08:28 pm »

yeah, that team was mad as fuck. I believe we absolutely overperformed with a back four of Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho and Flanagan (or Puskas Award recipient Aly Cissokho)... it's not a terrible defense, but it's clearly not as good as the one we have now. They had flashes of brilliance though, so it was all part of the specific flavor that squad had.

Shame about the bench though.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1955 on: December 31, 2018, 08:08:33 pm »

And that's what City will be aiming to do the first 20 minutes - make the game chaotic and disrupt us by playing Heavy Metal Football, if you will.

It will be really interesting to see how it plays out if they decide to play one of our styles of play, against us.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1956 on: December 31, 2018, 08:18:05 pm »
When we beat city and the go on a run winning all our remaining games by at least 4 nil I think we'll have a chance.

At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1957 on: December 31, 2018, 08:19:53 pm »
And that's what City will be aiming to do the first 20 minutes - make the game chaotic and disrupt us by playing Heavy Metal Football, if you will.

It will be really interesting to see how it plays out if they decide to play one of our styles of play, against us.

Well they have tried everything else. They do that and we will batter them though so i am all for it
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #1958 on: December 31, 2018, 08:32:12 pm »

That’s what they did the second leg of our Champions league game. Yeah they scored early but I seem to remember them not troubling us that much and I think our defence is much better now.

Basically if they want to stand and go toe to toe with us then fine I don’t think that will be a problem for us.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1959 on: December 31, 2018, 08:53:09 pm »

I mentioned this back on the 23rd.

Pep has this beautiful habit of getting in his own head when under pressure and pulling out the ridiculous.

- 4 at the back vs Real Madrid, despite telling his assistant they would lose if he didn't play a 3 beforehand and to stop him if he tried this.

- Dropping Sterling for Gundogan against us as a winger last season

- Stones in DM

He has talked about how you cannot win a transitions game against Liverpool. Now, as things stands, he thinks he needs to win and needs to come at us. He knows that will give us the advantage if it turns into a transitions game. Will his solution be to prepare his side to play like us... against us?

Pep is very capable of being his own worst enemy in that sense when under pressure. It will be interesting watching them for the next couple of games because he tried out Laporte at LB the game before playing us. He'll be trying out some new ideas just for us over these coming 2 games. Which in turn could see him drop points in those games as they aren't focused on their opponent, they are focused on us.

I also found his exact quote from back in October.

“If it is an open game at Anfield, you don’t even have one chance, not even one per cent of a chance,” said Guardiola.

“We controlled it through Riyad, Bernardo and the guys to give the extra pass. It's important because up and down
I'm pretty sure they are the best team in the world in these transitions, offensive, defensive. It is (a team) built for that.
In that situation, they are much better than us.”

- Guardiola, October 2018

Then there is this - which details Pep turning into Gob Bluth briefly.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/10/18/5180984/the-biggest-mistake-of-my-life-how-guardiola-got-it-all-wrong-in-

Guardiola knows if he tries to out-Klopp Klopp, then he is likely going to suffer badly for it.

That doesn't mean he won't do it. That doesn't even mean it won't work - it's football, anything can happen. Just that it's interesting to know he has previous in being fully aware what would be a huge mistake, then doing it anyway, when under pressure.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd