Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 330835 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Gerrard: Return imminent...
« Reply #1520 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:56 am »
There are no 'cut off' points for the term world class.

Players like Sneijder are/were brilliant at one point in time - was he truly world class, though? You could start a debate on a player like Sneijder. And you could put forward decent arguments for both sides of the coin.

But unless your definition of world class is extremely 'out there', then Gerrard, by all accounts (except his performances over the last two seasons, perhaps) is world class - or at least, at one point in time, was world class.

No, he isn't the greatest player of all time. He isn't even close - that doesn't mean he wasn't world class though. He was, most certainly, a one-in-a-kind type of player though. Not too many like him.

That's the thing. Sneijder was world class in the 09/10 season and world class in the 2010 world cup. Unfortunately he burnt out, diagnosed with anemia and suddenly isn't world class? He's 26 at the peak of his ability and he's suddenly lost his ability?

That's bullshit for me. He's simply overworked and tired. He'll get back to his best with rest and proper management.

Same with Gerrard I reckon and the same thing happened with Rooney.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:24:51 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1521 on: September 13, 2011, 05:33:19 am »
Cant believe people are debating on Gerrard being world class or not.

Tony Evans is clearly a fool and should write on something he knows about. Whatever that may be.

He may be past his best, but there again so is Pele.

4 years ago he was the best AM in world football. (at worse 2nd or 3rd) Hes also one of the greatest players to ever play for Liverpool FC.
If those two things don't equal world class can someone explain it's meaning.    :butt

One guy a few pages ago suggested we keep Henderson in the team ahead of Gerrard.  I assume he hasn't watched us play this season

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1522 on: September 13, 2011, 06:57:06 am »
Cant believe people are debating on Gerrard being world class or not.

Tony Evans is clearly a fool and should write on something he knows about. Whatever that may be.

He may be past his best, but there again so is Pele.

4 years ago he was the best AM in world football. (at worse 2nd or 3rd) Hes also one of the greatest players to ever play for Liverpool FC.
If those two things don't equal world class can someone explain it's meaning.    :butt

One guy a few pages ago suggested we keep Henderson in the team ahead of Gerrard.  I assume he hasn't watched us play this season

The quickness of some to forget what kind of player Gerrard is, is regrettable. He is still one of the two best players in the team today.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1523 on: September 13, 2011, 07:02:32 am »
Alright, before this gets too petty let me just outline exactly where I stand.

It's already got petty so there's no need. I doubt anyone's interested either

A fit and firing Steven Gerrard improves our squad and team - end of debate.

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
  • Being a reds fan is like match day, everyday.
« Reply #1524 on: September 13, 2011, 07:10:41 am »
Ive remove my follow on tony evans twitter. thats how petty I am.

I will have contempt with someone who dares to bring our best player in a generation down a notch. And yes diego armando maradona is the best of the best!
If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
  • Being a reds fan is like match day, everyday.
« Reply #1525 on: September 13, 2011, 07:12:38 am »
oh, and you think its easy to shoot 35-40 yard screamers on a regular basis? I bet evans is a lazy arse fat journo who never played the game or is bad at it.
If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1526 on: September 13, 2011, 07:34:42 am »
I don't think you can argue that in his prime Gerrard was world class. But I also don't think you can claim that he still is based on his performances over the previous two seasons. But it's been said it depends on your definition. I see it as putting in amongst the best performances of anyone in your position on a consistent basis over a period of time. So for me Ronaldo is world class, Bale isn't because Bale does it once in a blue moon.

I think if Gerrard is world class then so is Totti, Ronaldinho etc, they were once world class. I wouldn't class Kaka as world class any more, since he hasn't really hit form since 2007

For me Reina is up there with Casillas, so he is world class. At the moment Gerrard is not close to the best in his position on a consistent enough basis, I'm talking about the last two seasons. In terms of natural ability, of course, but we haven't seen that often enough since 2008-2009

Having said all that I think if he has a season worthy of his abilities this season then you can rightly say again that he is a world class player   

IMO a good definition of "World Class" is the player would make a 22 player squad selected from every player in the world.

I reckon Gerrard was in that bracket for around 5 seasons.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #1527 on: September 13, 2011, 07:36:41 am »
Well people may have forgotten how much Stevie is of importance to this team, but after the first goal he bangs in people will shut up and admire Gerrard like any LFC fan should...

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: September 13, 2011, 08:37:48 am »
Gerrard's return is fantastic.  It offers us a range of new options with our new team.  I don't expect him to play every game anymore which is why we have some good rotation options.  Sometimes I expect him to be played through the middle with henderson or kuyt on the right.  Sometimes he might be switched to the right himself.

Having a squad of class players allows us options to rotate.  Can't wait to see Gerrard back.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1529 on: September 13, 2011, 10:07:21 am »
I'd a dream last night that Gerrard died, it was awful. However, I seemed to be the only one who really took it to heart, no one was even shocked that someone so young has just suddenly died. Strange one altogether.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1530 on: September 13, 2011, 10:18:21 am »
Steven Gerrard will bring the best out of Carroll, as he did with Fernando Torres.

Gerrard will probably take Suarez' role in the hole, and let Suarez and Downing switch flanks whenever they wish for movement.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #1531 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:55 am »
Steven Gerrard will bring the best out of Carroll, as he did with Fernando Torres.

Gerrard will probably take Suarez' role in the hole, and let Suarez and Downing switch flanks whenever they wish for movement.

I just dribbled a little on my keyboard.

On this subject though, do we think Kenny has shelved the idea of playing Carroll AND Suarez as a definite partnership? And if so, how does that mean Gerrard will fit in?
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #1532 on: September 13, 2011, 10:32:59 am »
I just dribbled a little on my keyboard.

On this subject though, do we think Kenny has shelved the idea of playing Carroll AND Suarez as a definite partnership? And if so, how does that mean Gerrard will fit in?

Against the better sides, playing with two up-top would mean 4 in midfield, and I don't think Adam is mobile enough to operate in the '2', not to mention it would mean leaving Lucas or Gerrard out.

We have options, and can alter accordingly. That's a good thing. I'm sure we'll see Carroll and Suarez up front at some point this season, probably at home against a side where we can afford to go for it more.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #1533 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:00 am »
Against the better sides, playing with two up-top would mean 4 in midfield, and I don't think Adam is mobile enough to operate in the '2', not to mention it would mean leaving Lucas or Gerrard out.

We have options, and can alter accordingly. That's a good thing. I'm sure we'll see Carroll and Suarez up front at some point this season, probably at home against a side where we can afford to go for it more.

You don't see him playing on the right of a 'narrow' four with Lucas Adam and Downing with Carroll and Suarez up top then?
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #1534 on: September 13, 2011, 10:37:37 am »
Gerrard will get the best out of big Andy, link up well well Suarez and will influence Hendo in a positive way

Offline RevDog

• Main Stander
« Reply #1535 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:46 am »
Once he's had a few games back and a bit of match fitness he is going to tear teams and get the best out of Andy Carroll.

Captain fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:04:41 am by RevDog »

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: September 13, 2011, 11:12:25 am »

Hope you are right. Like the idea of Luis and Downing on the flanks of a front three. Normally you would think two such attacking players will leave the side exposed but those two are probably disciplined enough to pull it off. We don't know if the Stevie Carroll combo will have the same connection that he did with Nando. They just seemed to be on the same wavelength from day one.
If they connect nearly as well the thought of Luis and Stewart attacking from width would terrify any defender.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: September 13, 2011, 11:31:42 am »
Question I have is where is Gerrard gonna play when he is back. In the Charile Adam CM role or the more attacking wide roles? He can do either...

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:20 am »
Question I have is where is Gerrard gonna play when he is back. In the Charile Adam CM role or the more attacking wide roles? He can do either...

wide role for me. doubt it will happen though
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1539 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:16 am »

A hole player generally looks to feed the number nine, Carroll simply isn't the kind of striker who is suited to playing on the shoulder of defenders and looking to run onto balls slipped through by a number ten the way Torres did.

Surely if you are looking for Gerrard to create chances for Carroll then he should be played wide right and told to whip the ball into the six yard box for Andy.

I can see a Gerrard- Carroll partnership working but for me it would be in reverse with Gerrard looking to feed off Andy's knockdowns the way Kev Nolan did at Newcastle. That then raises a couple of questions should we be looking to play in that way and does playing that way suit Suarez.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:31 am »

This.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #1541 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »
You don't see him playing on the right of a 'narrow' four with Lucas Adam and Downing with Carroll and Suarez up top then?

Not a flat 4-4-2 no, because I don't think Adam is mobile enough and able defensively to play that role. Formations only really matter on paper anyway, it's how the players fit in the system that is important.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:13:31 pm by It's Jimmy Corkhill »
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline stevy_sayan

• Main Stander
« Reply #1542 on: September 13, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
Personally i think we have brought a 35 million striker not as a bench option, well dzeko was frightfully shite in the first season and he is 26, look at him this season and andy still is 22 he just needs that yard of pace which he has lost because of the injury. Regarding gerrard well we are going to play a 4-2-3-1 formation with carrol and more like a mobile 3 forwards as gerrard, suarez and downing with each interchanging their positions.

Offline a glass of wine Sir?

• Kopite
  • NESV..."thank you" x
« Reply #1543 on: September 13, 2011, 12:36:26 pm »
Personally i think we have brought a 35 million striker not as a bench option, well dzeko was frightfully shite in the first season and he is 26, look at him this season and andy still is 22 he just needs that yard of pace which he has lost because of the injury. Regarding gerrard well we are going to play a 4-2-3-1 formation with carrol and more like a mobile 3 forwards as gerrard, suarez and downing with each interchanging their positions.

that excites me
Take us back to the champions league....

http://twitter.com/#!/TimGale031181

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1544 on: September 13, 2011, 02:10:07 pm »
A hole player generally looks to feed the number nine, Carroll simply isn't the kind of striker who is suited to playing on the shoulder of defenders and looking to run onto balls slipped through by a number ten the way Torres did.

Surely if you are looking for Gerrard to create chances for Carroll then he should be played wide right and told to whip the ball into the six yard box for Andy.

I can see a Gerrard- Carroll partnership working but for me it would be in reverse with Gerrard looking to feed off Andy's knockdowns the way Kev Nolan did at Newcastle. That then raises a couple of questions should we be looking to play in that way and does playing that way suit Suarez.

Exactly in the past Gerrard has form great partnerships with the likes of Owen and Torres, because of their movement and their willingness to play on the last shoulder of the defender, Caroll is a different player to the aforementioned, if we are looking to get the best out of Caroll i would play him wide right as well in a similar role to Barton last season.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1545 on: September 13, 2011, 02:12:12 pm »
Just get him on the pitch, he'll fit seamlessly into the fluid movement of our attacking options
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:56 pm »
In my opinion, we will end up playing a lot of (provided everyone is fit)

Kelly, Coates/Carra, Agger/Skrtl, Enrique

Lucas     Adam

Downing   Gerrard    Suarez
                       Carroll

Gerrard will benefit greatly from knockdowns from Carroll, the 3 behind Carroll will consistently interchange (Downing to the left, Suarez to the middle Gerrard to the left and so on). I am really hopeful that Gerrard will be back to his best after playing around 18 months with injuries.

If there is one player that can bring the best out of both Suarez and Carroll, it is Gerrard. Probably the only player in the world that has this potential. That to me is world-class. But lets see him in action.

Offline Dr. Tongue

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1547 on: September 13, 2011, 02:33:17 pm »
To me it doesn't matter when and where he plays just that we another talented player in the squad.  Depth is what wins this league and gets a club deep into Europe.  The more options for Dalglish to tinker around with the better the squad will be in the long run.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1548 on: September 13, 2011, 02:35:40 pm »
If he is even 75% of the old SG it will be a huge addition to Kenny and the team. There was times last weekend his old surges from the center would have added to the breaking point and with the likes of Suarez, Downing, Carroll & co to add to the mix we surely will prosper from his return. Is he world class? Not sure as he was only our best player in our best years during the past decade and that is enough for me to say we need you back son fit & ready for the fight.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline elbobo

• Main Stander
« Reply #1549 on: September 13, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »
id play, lucas, adam, gerrard, downing, suarez and carroll

either

Gerrard Lucas Adam Downing
Suarez Carroll

In a traditonal 4-4-2

or

Lucas Adam
Suarez Gerrard Downing
Carroll

You have the flexibilty to move them around, switch flanks, change tactics. Very attacking and will score lots of goals

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1550 on: September 13, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »

To be honest I don't think you could put Suarez in any definite partnership, half the guy's brilliance comes from how unpredictable he is.

With Gerrard in the hole behind Torres you could always see how it worked.  Stevie looking to receive the ball and play the most damaging passes or take a shot, and Torres looking to steal a march on the defenders.  They mixed it up a bit but this was when they were at their most lethal.

I've no doubt Suarez will link up well with both Gerrard and Carroll, but not in a way we can easily pigeon hole as a partnership.

I think Gerrard and Carroll will be the more likely partnership, between Gerrard's composure and Carroll's ability to hold the ball up I think we'll be seeing a lot of quality possession in the final third.  Then considering the rocket in Stevie's right foot and the one in Andy's left it should give defenders a massive headache.

I can't wait to see Carroll, Gerrard, Suarez and Downing on the pitch at the same time.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1551 on: September 13, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »
Exactly in the past Gerrard has form great partnerships with the likes of Owen and Torres, because of their movement and their willingness to play on the last shoulder of the defender, Caroll is a different player to the aforementioned, if we are looking to get the best out of Caroll i would play him wide right as well in a similar role to Barton last season.

The thing is Gerrard has never played behind a striker who has Andy's qualities.  When Nolan did he banged them in for fun.  I think the same could happen with Stevie.

Offline pistolpete

• Kopite
« Reply #1552 on: September 13, 2011, 02:54:52 pm »
Over simplifying massively but I think a lot of attacking play will go along the lines of:

> Lucas winning/recycling the ball quickly to
> Adam who quickly/directly supplies the front 4 of
> Downing, Carroll, Suarez, Gerrard all interchanging their positions and combining their various qualities into a force than can create and score from anywhere.

With the fullbacks creating extra width whenever possible
siempre es possible

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1553 on: September 13, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »
The thing is Gerrard has never played behind a striker who has Andy's qualities.  When Nolan did he banged them in for fun.  I think the same could happen with Stevie.
I agree, and I hope so, would be nice to see a 20+ goal season from Stevie :D probably win the league if he hits that, that's of course if Aguero and Dzeko don't both hit 20+ for their team lol
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1554 on: September 13, 2011, 03:36:22 pm »

I agree with most of that. Especially the reverse.

For me, I've found that Carroll comes too deep to be involved in the build up. I think that if Gerrard was playing, he'd force Carroll higher up the pitch, and pick him out more for a one-two. Even though Torres had better pace than Carroll, Carroll looks more dangerous on the edge of the penalty area (long shots). He may be able to turn and shoot (with power) without being crowded out, if the presence of LS, SD and SG was there occupying defenders. Who knows?!

Remember, Heskey was berated by the media and some sections of the Liverpool fans, he didn't score enough, but he still did an important job for us. If Carroll can do the same and still provide a lot more goal threat, I think I will be happy.

I think Downing was bought for his crossing, as was Henderson. I personally wouldnt like to see Gerrard positioned right hand side, instead drift to whatever angle he see's beneficial to what he's about to do. If that is a cross, then so be it. If its a shot, he'd probably want to go central.

Its all guesswork at the moment for me. Lets just get both of them 100% fit first.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #1555 on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:29 pm »
Will be down to what Kenny & Clarke expect of him and what they have in mind tactically, if Comolli's comments on Aquilani's departure are telling then you would think Stevie will be selected ahead of Henderson to mainly support the attack playing behind/off Suarez & Kuyt or Bellamy/Carroll etc, which is an exciting prospect.

Lucas  Adam
   Kuyt  Gerrard  Downing
             Suarez

That was exactly what I though when I read the interview.  Regardless of whether you start with Carroll or Kuyt (or even Bellamy at times), I hope Stevie plays in the hole most of the time.  Currently, I think the setup above is our most lethal one.  Though I badly want Carroll to do well, so I would love to see Carroll in Suarez's spot and Suarez moving out wide.  Any way you slice it, we have many options. I cant wait for our captain to come back.  The stoke game needed someone to do the outrageous, and Stevie could be that man in the coming games (along with Luis).
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1556 on: September 14, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »
I didn't see him in the training video today.   :-\

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #1557 on: September 14, 2011, 11:05:09 pm »
Just came on the post the same thing. Anyone have any ideas why not?
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #1558 on: September 14, 2011, 11:09:43 pm »
Just came on the post the same thing. Anyone have any ideas why not?

coz his career's over, a toffee taxi driver told me
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline junior soprano

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1559 on: September 14, 2011, 11:13:18 pm »
coz his career's over, a toffee taxi driver told me
overweight, smells of b-o, and has green teeth? Same guy told me stevie was supposed to appear on that show on channel 4 on Monday night only he took out a super-injection in the nick of time  :lickin
Bada Bing!