Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 595285 times)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The NHL Thread
« on: October 5, 2005, 09:29:39 pm »
It's been a while.

So the owners called the players bluff and the 04-05 season was cancelled.  Finally, after much back and forth, they found an agreement that suited all parties...well perhaps the owners more than the players but some middle ground was found.  None of that matters now that hockey is back, though.  :)

There are changes on the ice with rule changes aimed at creating more open ice and allowing the skillful players do what they do best.  Two-line passes are legal and there will be, effectively, no red line in regards to offsides.  Goalies have to make do with equipment around 10% smaller than before and the area that they can play the puck in is also reduced.  The most interesting change, in my eyes, is the 'zero tolerance' on interference, hooking and holding.  Officials have tried to enforce this in the past but after the first 10 or 12 games it's been put in the too hard basket.

There's some deeper issues to look at too.  Can a sport that locked out its fans hope to attract them back?  Perhaps in Canada where hockeys heart and soul is, but in the US it could be a different story where hockey was already last in the 'Big 4' sports.  Time will tell.

Alot of the players turned to Europe to play during the lockout in 04-05 but they're all back.  Not necessarily with the 03-04 teams though and, as expected, the trading period was furious.

I'm biased, but one of the biggest moves for me was Forsberg moving from the Avs to the Flyers.  8) Sidney Crosby, the most promising prospect for years, was snaffled by Pittsburgh from the draft and will play alongside one of the legends of the game in Mario Lemieux.  There's been too many trades to mention (Hasek to Ottawa, Khabibulin to Chicago etc) and it will take a while to get used to all the names in all the new colours.

For those of you with NASN, they are leading with 2 games tonight.

First up at 12.30am, Crosby and Lemieux lead out Pittsburgh against New Jersey followed by Wayne Gretzky making his debut behind the bench for Phoenix against Vancouver.  I'm not getting any sleep tonight.  :)

I wouldn't be so silly to predict a Stanley Cup Champion in the opening post but...let's go Flyers.  :)

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2005, 09:57:35 pm »
Although it can't be done it's too bad they couldn't widen the rink to the international dimensions. This would automatically ensure more wide open play and all those rule changes wouldn't have been necessary. There's too much clutching and grabbing nowadays and no room for individuality it seems. My early years of watching the sport featured Bobby Orr with those great rink-length rushes and then Guy LaFleur streaking down the wing. It's an altogether different game today and not at all easy to watch IMO.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2005, 10:01:09 pm »
its painful to watch, Alph, you hit it on the head about the international dimensions, would have solved most of the problems... I can't watch it nor do I follow it...

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2005, 10:05:28 pm »
Hope Penguins will do a bit better than the last time around.

I think the changed rules will benefit the game. I'm a fan of the Russian style of hockey with quick skating and good passing. It gets boring when every player has to be a mountain and everything is allowed.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2005, 10:10:23 pm »
 :butt :butt :butt Having bought NASA fuck it  :butt :butt :butt
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2005, 10:18:19 pm »
European size rinks certainly allow more open play which we see every time the winter olympics are there.  Wouldn't mind heading to Turin next year.

If they actually do clamp down on the obstruction and allow the Jagr's of the world to skate then hopefully it will be more attractive.

One thing I forgot to mention was the shootout to decide ties.  I'm not so sure about that one.  I would have preferred 3 points for a win but at least this way we'll see teams (hopefully) chasing a win and not wanting to go the lottery of a shootout.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2005, 10:21:35 pm »
One thing I forgot to mention was the shootout to decide ties.  I'm not so sure about that one.  I would have preferred 3 points for a win but at least this way we'll see teams (hopefully) chasing a win and not wanting to go the lottery of a shootout.
How many points is it for a win on shootout?

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2005, 10:30:33 pm »

Two points.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
NHL anyone ?
« Reply #8 on: October 6, 2005, 01:11:55 am »
Anyone interested in a NHL Fantasy league? Just a bit of fun.

Incidently the Devils are winning 2-0 :D LETS GO DEVILS
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Re: NHL anyone ?
« Reply #9 on: October 6, 2005, 01:13:58 am »
Go the Habs!
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 6, 2005, 01:53:56 am »
Go the Habs!

That a yes ? Or just a Go Habs

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 6, 2005, 01:55:00 am »
3-0 Devils Gionta. :D

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #12 on: October 6, 2005, 01:56:46 am »
I'm hoping for good things from my Chicago Blackhawks this season.  Only time will tell . . .

As for an NHL Fantasy League, not really interested.  Sorry.
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13 on: October 6, 2005, 01:58:49 am »
Go the Habs!

why am i not surprised you're a closet supporter of Les Habitants?

tradition must be respected...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: October 6, 2005, 02:15:13 am »
Only been to one Ice Hockey game and that was at the old Forum a year before it closed to see Montreal beat the Rangers 5-2 with Patrick Roy superb as always. The Forum was magnificent and reeked history - Anfield on another continent. We had "terrace" tickets standing just above the lower tier on what appeared to be an open corridor, choose your spot, grabbing a beer and a hotdog as the vendors walked past with a great view of the game. 7 canadian dollars I think it cost to get in (still have the ticket somewhere).
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: October 6, 2005, 03:22:53 am »
A fight waithing for a sport to break out

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #16 on: October 6, 2005, 04:30:41 am »
Rangers beat the Flyers 5-3 in Philadelphia...

The biggest beneficiary of the wider ice surface and less physical play will undoubtedly be Jaromir Jagr...he is plain unstoppable if you can't get really physical with him.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline svennis

• I heart Riise
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: October 6, 2005, 07:03:01 am »
Red Wings will win stanley cup.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 6, 2005, 09:14:00 am »
Anyone interested in a NHL Fantasy league? Just a bit of fun.

Incidently the Devils are winning 2-0 :D LETS GO DEVILS

Yeah I'll be up for that.

The Devils won 5-1 in the end.  I watched the first period (couldn't stay awake after that - must get a recorder) and the refs were calling every penalty they saw (4 in the first 4 minutes against NJ).  Accordingly, Pittsburgh rattled off 14-2 but Brodeur was immense.

That Crosby kid aint bad is he?  Almost scored a goal in the first minute or two.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #19 on: October 6, 2005, 12:35:03 pm »
Only been to one Ice Hockey game and that was at the old Forum a year before it closed to see Montreal beat the Rangers 5-2 with Patrick Roy superb as always. The Forum was magnificent and reeked history - Anfield on another continent. We had "terrace" tickets standing just above the lower tier on what appeared to be an open corridor, choose your spot, grabbing a beer and a hotdog as the vendors walked past with a great view of the game. 7 canadian dollars I think it cost to get in (still have the ticket somewhere).

why, if one were so inclined, one could cobble together a comparison between the Quebecois and the Scousers, distinct mini-cultures within a larger, national one, and...

nah. ;)

saw Les Habs back in the early seventies when Atlanta still had the Flames.

first professional sporting event, in fact.

then the Flames did an MK Dons, and i've never gone back.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 6, 2005, 12:49:40 pm »
There's already a thread going on this if you want boys...

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=88874.0

:wave

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 6, 2005, 03:03:04 pm »
Brodeur is always immense. Crosbys passing is what impressed me most about him. The refs are gonna give a ridiculous amount of penalties this year. We looked like the devils of old and I love what they have done with the team. Gionta is going to be a huge part of how far we go this year but so is Parise, he looks every bit the player we have being crying out for since losing Arnott. I can see now why we moved heaven and earth to keep this kid, he is going to be immense.

Forget Crosby it's all about Parise!

« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 03:05:39 pm by ScouserTommy37 »

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 6, 2005, 03:06:55 pm »
Yeah I'll be up for that.

Ok so thats 2 of us then :P

Anyone else interested ? If so offer a suggested time to do the live draft... sooner the better obvioulsy.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 6, 2005, 03:32:53 pm »
Ok so thats 2 of us then :P

Anyone else interested ? If so offer a suggested time to do the live draft... sooner the better obvioulsy.

I've just IM'd a guy who may be.

I haven't seen much of Parise but I read a bit about your efforts to keep him.  Niedeymayer could prove to be a big loss.

The Flyers got rolled by the Rangers 5-3 after leading 3-1 and the boo boys have already started in Philadelphia   :-\

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 6, 2005, 03:46:14 pm »

If a team wins in a shootout (as Ottawa did last night) that team gets 2 points but the team last lost in the shootout gets one point. Also, if a team loses in overtime, they still get one point as they did before the lockout.

Very happy to see Philly lose ;D . I hate Roenick, that arrogant American prick.

Happy with the Leafs game, they played very well and limited Ottawa to few scoring chances which is good considering the defense is supposed to be the Leafs achilles heel this season. Only one shot for Ottawa in the second period :o .

I'm just happy the game's back. More hockey on TSN tonight. Hockey Night in Canada featuring the Leafs on saturday night.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS: Removing the red line was genious.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 6, 2005, 03:48:21 pm »
That Crosby kid aint bad is he? 

Ha! ;D

You wouldn't believe the media hype surrounding him here in North America and especially in Canada. He's tipped to be the next Gretzky. I should mention aswell that Mario Lemieux is not a bad guy to start your career playing alongside, and that should really help him.

Me??? ;D Yeah I'm up for that. I did it last time around but didn't fair very well.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 6, 2005, 03:50:23 pm »

I haven't seen much of Parise but I read a bit about your efforts to keep him.  Niedeymayer could prove to be a big loss.

The Flyers got rolled by the Rangers 5-3 after leading 3-1 and the boo boys have already started in Philadelphia   :-\

Martin is a lot like Nieds but I agree he would be a big miss to any team. I think we will suprise a few people this year.  Malakhov has a rocket as well so he will chip in I reckon.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 6, 2005, 03:52:06 pm »
Ha! ;D

You wouldn't believe the media hype surrounding him here in North America and especially in Canada. He's tipped to be the next Gretzky. I should mention aswell that Mario Lemieux is not a bad guy to start your career playing alongside, and that should really help him.

Me??? ;D Yeah I'm up for that. I did it last time around but didn't fair very well.

A Canadian interested in Hockey ? I'm in shock :P

So you know anyone else who would be interested. Lookin for a nice even Frozen Four or Six or eight. Has to be even.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 6, 2005, 04:00:26 pm »
Very happy to see Philly lose ;D . I hate Roenick, that arrogant American prick.
  :wanker  :)

Roenick plays for LA now so take your hating elsewhere!  Who needs JR when you've Forsberg.  8)

I watch/listen to MSG Sportsdesk on NASN each morning when I'm getting ready for work and they've been talking him up for months - and they're a NY station.  The pressure on the kid is immense but, as you said, Super Mario is the perfect role model.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 6, 2005, 04:14:20 pm »
Roenick plays for LA now so take your hating elsewhere!  Who needs JR when you've Forsberg.  8)

Forsberg is average at best ;D . I actually didn't know Roenick had left, shame that - he was my biggest reason for hating Philly - something that I love to do.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 6, 2005, 04:26:24 pm »
Forsberg is average at best ;D . I actually didn't know Roenick had left, shame that - he was my biggest reason for hating Philly - something that I love to do.

Me too although I still have to hate Philly being a Devils fan but Roenick he was the main target of my wrath. :P

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 6, 2005, 04:30:45 pm »
Me too although I still have to hate Philly being a Devils fan but Roenick he was the main target of my wrath. :P

This from a guy who supports a team who employed Claude Lemieux! :D

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 6, 2005, 04:36:16 pm »
This from a guy who supports a team who employed Claude Lemieux! :D

Yeah but he was a legend as he was in a Stanley cup winning team. You know the rules!

I found us a fourth and I can do the draft at 5 if everyone is going to be about.

That cool with you two ?

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 6, 2005, 04:39:52 pm »
Yeah but he was a legend as he was in a Stanley cup winning team. You know the rules!

I found us a fourth and I can do the draft at 5 if everyone is going to be about.

That cool with you two ?

I wont get home till just after 6  :-\

Can I/you set mine to automatically pick the best available for me?

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 6, 2005, 04:44:47 pm »
I wont get home till just after 6  :-\

Can I/you set mine to automatically pick the best available for me?

Well what about 10:15 ? if that's not too late for our canadian friend.

Offline Eli_B (aka Badland Red)

• The resident lurking Saddler
  • Legacy Fan
    • My Mobile Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 6, 2005, 04:47:14 pm »

If a team wins in a shootout (as Ottawa did last night) that team gets 2 points but the team last lost in the shootout gets one point. Also, if a team loses in overtime, they still get one point as they did before the lockout.

Happy with the Leafs game, they played very well and limited Ottawa to few scoring chances which is good considering the defense is supposed to be the Leafs achilles heel this season. Only one shot for Ottawa in the second period :o .

I'm a Maple Leaf fan (C'mon the Leafs!) - is there any links about the rule changes. Plus who have Toronto have bought in or traded? I've just had a quick look at the NHL website report of the match against Ottawa and as ever it was close match. Very much looking foward to the season. Does anybody know if Channel 5 is showing match coverage of the NHL season?
Walsall FC aka the red and white Saddlers. The innovators as well as the first sports team in England/UK, to sell the Chicken Balti Pie:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/ 

With a soft spot for the redmen of Liverpool since the League Cup Semi Final 1984. RIP to the 39 in Brussels and of course the 96.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 6, 2005, 04:48:30 pm »
Well what about 10:15 ? if that's not too late for our canadian friend.

Fine with me.  :)

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 6, 2005, 04:49:36 pm »
Fine with me.  :)

Cool well 10:15 it is I will pm him now and let him know.

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #38 on: October 6, 2005, 04:51:16 pm »
Lets go Devils, Lets go.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 6, 2005, 05:02:50 pm »