Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 798440 times)

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #17280 on: May 19, 2018, 12:12:50 pm »
Back in N.Ireland for a wedding this weekend later today. Did a 31 miler in 4:49 this morning but due to where I am roads were the only option. That’s a lot more painful than running on trails. Quads feel a lot more beat up but equally it was slightly faster than last week I guess because tarmac is quicker to run on.

Now for some some serious food and alcoholic rehydration!!!

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17281 on: May 19, 2018, 06:46:36 pm »
Still not recovered so gave volunteering a go at the local Parkrun. Giving out 400 tokens in a 15 minute spell is as much of a workout as the 5k is!! Highlight being a dog coming second with a sub-18 minute 5k (accompanied by its owner).

Good luck to everyone hitting Liverpool tomorrow - looks like (another) hot one...

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17282 on: May 19, 2018, 11:18:55 pm »
Another great run weebroalan!
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17283 on: May 20, 2018, 06:10:13 am »
Good luck to anyone running the rock n roll marathon today. Looks like it could be a warm one!
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #17284 on: May 20, 2018, 08:46:00 am »
Old: good idea on the bog roll - certainly more pleasant than dock leaves! Well done on the relay - you've retained your speed well after Rotterdam. Do you have a specific race to target the 10k PB?

Circa: sensible choice to skip the half with your bigger stuff coming up. Hopefully you get the foot sorted out quickly.
Old: good idea on the bog roll - certainly more pleasant than dock leaves!

Ha ha, that made me laugh Alan, old school! That must be a generation thing

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17285 on: May 20, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »
How did Liverpool go today for everyone?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #17286 on: May 21, 2018, 06:39:11 pm »
Well... Sunday did not go to plan at all! I was aiming for 4 Hours or even sub 4... in the end I crossed the line in 5 Hours and 14 Minutes!

It was the hardest day, I tried to go at my own pace but the heat really got to me and the hills just killed me, I started walking as soon as Anfield and just struggled to pick up the pace again and pulled a hammie, did run/walk throughout which I was embarrassed about to be honest but it was my first marathon and I am happy to have finished it because I really wanted to quit.

My friend who went with me pretty much helped me the lat 600m as my mind had shut down but I crossed that line and collapsed and wheeled away with the Ambulance guys... just dehydration but I have no idea how I drank and drank and drank.... just not a good day for me... weirdly I still enjoyed it especially for sticking it out but yeah, toughie!

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17287 on: May 21, 2018, 08:50:05 pm »
Kudos for getting round! It was a bloody hot day, not a right lot of shade on that course either - with all that and the pulled hammie would've been easy as anything to chalk up a DNF and put it down to experience, well done for getting round the end and earning the medal!

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17288 on: May 22, 2018, 09:50:25 am »
Phil - well done for getting around in what sounded like a tough day. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all - the heat makes a massive difference to your expected finish time as a lot of us found out at London. Did you take electrolyte drinks or gels as well as water because you need to replenish these particularly on a very hot day?

Kenyan Hills session last night with my club - legs were pretty tired after Saturday's long run so couldn't push as hard as I'd of liked. Just going to do an easy recovery today to give the legs a break.

Offline glewis93

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17289 on: May 22, 2018, 04:08:02 pm »
Did the RNR Marathon on Sunday. That heat was horrific. Ended up with awful sunburn on my calves and really struggled from 22 miles onwards.

Managed 4:05 which I was pleasantly surprised by. I can see by my splits that I unintentionally sped up during a section of the race and that really caused me issues in the last few miles.

That's my fifth marathon now, I desperately want to break 4 hours next time. My PB is an excruciatingly close 4:00:49.  :'(
Long Live Lucas Leiva!

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #17290 on: May 22, 2018, 04:20:30 pm »
Kudos for getting round! It was a bloody hot day, not a right lot of shade on that course either - with all that and the pulled hammie would've been easy as anything to chalk up a DNF and put it down to experience, well done for getting round the end and earning the medal!

Thank You. Yeah it was toasty, I tried to find shade where I could but at times it was non existent. I really wanted to pull out at some points but I managed to pull it all together somehow.

Phil - well done for getting around in what sounded like a tough day. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all - the heat makes a massive difference to your expected finish time as a lot of us found out at London. Did you take electrolyte drinks or gels as well as water because you need to replenish these particularly on a very hot day?

Thank you. Yeah I am feeling better about it and especially proud of myself for not pulling out as I really wanted to at times, now already eyeing up maybe Valencia Marathon in December as I know I have sub-5 in my locker and I kinda want to prove it to myself if that makes sense!

I took 4 gels throughout the course, I would have taken more but I started to feel a bit rough stomach wise so just stuck to the water after a while.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend of running!

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17291 on: May 22, 2018, 09:08:26 pm »
I’ve been struggling lately. Not physically. I think I’m now back to pre-running weight near enough too. I’m having to wear clothes from back then. Depressing as I know how much effort I put in to get into shape, and the thought of starting again is daunting.

Hope everyone else is ok.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17292 on: May 22, 2018, 09:49:18 pm »
Well done Glewis! Might be worth going for a flat, PB friendly course? Don't know which ones you've done - but by all accounts Manchester is a fair bit more friendly than Liverpool if you're chasing a time, Edinburgh too!

That's sad to hear Peabee. You were absolutely flying a while back and, knowing you've been there, might hopefully make it easier to get back there. Key is just enjoying it though.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17293 on: May 22, 2018, 11:21:59 pm »
Well done Glewis! Might be worth going for a flat, PB friendly course? Don't know which ones you've done - but by all accounts Manchester is a fair bit more friendly than Liverpool if you're chasing a time, Edinburgh too!

That's sad to hear Peabee. You were absolutely flying a while back and, knowing you've been there, might hopefully make it easier to get back there. Key is just enjoying it though.

Cheers.

I’m just feeling a bit sorry for myself. I’ve a mental health assessment in a couple of weeks too, as I’ve been struggling with that side of things.

I’ll try to get myself back out there.

Apologies, anyway, this is supposed to be the “inspire a rawkite” sub-forum.

Offline glewis93

• Kopite
« Reply #17294 on: May 23, 2018, 08:21:28 am »

Thanks for the heads up Circa, been considering Manchester for a while as I keep getting emails from them saying it’s a flat course. Upper Parliament on the Liverpool course is just unreal.
Long Live Lucas Leiva!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17295 on: May 23, 2018, 08:53:41 am »
Glewis: 5mins under your PB on a very hot day is pretty good going - its very hard to pace yourself properly in the heat. Sounds like with the right course and a decent stretch of training you should be under 4hrs next time. Manchester is definitely PB material.

PB: really sorry to hear how you are feeling - reminds me a bit of early 2016 when I had injury/illness/MH/work issues all combined and was eating drinking whatever I wanted. Getting back running was tough mentally because I was so much slower but I just found a way to switch off from my pace and enjoy it for what it is. I found doing trail running really helped me there. Good luck getting back at it - I found after 3-4 weeks I felt my speed returning and that was really motivating.

ps-I think its us that needs to inspire you :)

Offline glewis93

• Kopite
« Reply #17296 on: May 23, 2018, 10:35:36 am »
I took 4 gels throughout the course, I would have taken more but I started to feel a bit rough stomach wise so just stuck to the water after a while.

Hi Phil, I get the same rough stomach with the gels. I took one and a half and couldn't stomach any more. The electrolyte drinks like Lucozade Sport are far better to get into your body in that weather compared to water. I went to the extent of holding onto a Lucozade as I ran for the later sections, barely drinking water. Last year I remember it was quite warm too, I drank a lot of both water and Lucozade and ended up being quite ill at the end.

Glewis: 5mins under your PB on a very hot day is pretty good going - its very hard to pace yourself properly in the heat. Sounds like with the right course and a decent stretch of training you should be under 4hrs next time. Manchester is definitely PB material.

Thanks, fingers crossed anyway. Even though yesterday wasn't a PB I did feel for the most part I had cracked the pacing required. I'd struggled with fast starting in previous years, which of course over 26 miles is quite the setback to give yourself  ;D.
Long Live Lucas Leiva!

Offline glewis93

• Kopite
« Reply #17297 on: May 23, 2018, 10:43:48 am »
I’ve been struggling lately. Not physically. I think I’m now back to pre-running weight near enough too. I’m having to wear clothes from back then. Depressing as I know how much effort I put in to get into shape, and the thought of starting again is daunting.

I remember after last years marathon I had an injury to my foot and knee (sustained in the 5k the day before frustratingly). I wasn't able to run to train at all for around 6 and a half months. That first run back can be terrifying, but that first step is so important to get the habit back. You've done it before, you can definitely do it again.

Good luck with everything.
Long Live Lucas Leiva!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17298 on: May 23, 2018, 11:04:22 am »

Apologies, anyway, this is supposed to be the “inspire a rawkite” sub-forum.

You've nothing to apologise for.

When you're ready give me a shout we can sort a time out that works for both of us . I've hardly been "smashing" it since London.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17299 on: May 23, 2018, 02:55:17 pm »
Mark: how's your recovery from London going? Any races coming up?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17300 on: May 23, 2018, 03:15:04 pm »
Mark: how's your recovery from London going? Any races coming up?

Yeah, the Vaseline is all washed off now.

I've been to Vegas for a mates 40th. I took my trainers with me. But didn't get out at all.

Out for a run after work tonight, Snowdon Trail half in two months. 😂

When is the ultra again?

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17301 on: May 23, 2018, 04:57:14 pm »
Mark: probably a good idea not running in Vegas! Race To The King is 23rd June and the North Downs Way 100 is 4th August.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17302 on: May 23, 2018, 06:35:15 pm »
Mark: probably a good idea not running in Vegas! Race To The King is 23rd June and the North Downs Way 100 is 4th August.

Yeah, it was close to high twenties by 9am most days.

Wowser that's close. How are you shaping up?

Edit. I've been feeling a bit off recently. Post holiday blues, work stuff who knows.

I've hidden it from everyone as best I can. Mates, Katherine, people at work.

A gentle 40 minutes tonight and I'm feeling great again. Looking forward to Saturday but feeling more "me"

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:34:03 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Offline hartless

• will run & run & run...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17303 on: May 23, 2018, 08:04:54 pm »

I don't know where your head is at at the moment but it doesn't sound a good place.

I run to aid depression but mine is manageable and probably a result of historical drug taking.

Anyway enough about me. Forget about the past mate. Forget about how quick and fit you were. Running is going and looking forward not the past.

The more you look backwards and what you used to do the harder it is. Just a case of one foot after the other at the moment.

If you need a run out on the trails. Pop up to a Glossop mate.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17304 on: May 23, 2018, 09:03:10 pm »
^ what hartless said. And I'm a damn site closer (and slower) 😂

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #17305 on: May 24, 2018, 05:43:50 am »
Hadn't had a run in about a few months or so due to work, so just went for one there 12.5km-ish in an hour happy with that!
Saw an abandoned football on the road half way thro so when i got back said fuck it, got on the bike and went back for it, came back and had a shower.

My first triathlon  ;D
YNWA

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17306 on: May 24, 2018, 11:04:37 am »
Hartless: you've been doing a lot of runs with big vert in them - got an ultra coming up?

Mark: training going well - done a couple of 30 milers and lots of hills. Legs are tired now so looking forward to a 3 day break in Kiev ;)

Daniel: not a bad comeback run!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #17307 on: May 24, 2018, 12:48:35 pm »
Just bought a pair of Fresh Foam Zantes from New Balance. First shoes from that brand. Gave them a spin on a (not very quick) 4x800 session. Rather nice on first use, lets see how they hold up.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17308 on: May 24, 2018, 01:29:14 pm »
You've nothing to apologise for.

When you're ready give me a shout we can sort a time out that works for both of us . I've hardly been "smashing" it since London.

Sound, will do mate.

I don't know where your head is at at the moment but it doesn't sound a good place.

I run to aid depression but mine is manageable and probably a result of historical drug taking.

Anyway enough about me. Forget about the past mate. Forget about how quick and fit you were. Running is going and looking forward not the past.

The more you look backwards and what you used to do the harder it is. Just a case of one foot after the other at the moment.

If you need a run out on the trails. Pop up to a Glossop mate.

I’ve an assessment in a couple of weeks, which will then refer me to proper treatment.

Cheers bud, you’ve moved there now?  Once I’m back out n about, I’ll be up for that.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #17309 on: May 24, 2018, 01:33:31 pm »
Sound, will do mate.

I’ve an assessment in a couple of weeks, which will then refer me to proper treatment.

Cheers bud, you’ve moved there now?  Once I’m back out n about, I’ll be up for that.
Chin up mate. Try and stick to the running. It's certainly helped me through various phases of feeling crappy. All the best and keep coming here for a chat.

Offline hartless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17310 on: May 24, 2018, 10:05:39 pm »
Hartless: you've been doing a lot of runs with big vert in them - got an ultra coming up?

Mark: training going well - done a couple of 30 milers and lots of hills. Legs are tired now so looking forward to a 3 day break in Kiev ;)

Daniel: not a bad comeback run!

Moved to the Peak District and I'm surrounded by hills. Impossible not to fit in vert.

I've got a few runs lined up but my running at the moment is just getting fit again. Loving the trails and paths near me. I've found my mojo again.

Offline hartless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17311 on: May 24, 2018, 10:07:21 pm »
Sound, will do mate.

Good man. You don't need to trot if you came out. Good to get out on the hills here. Get some climbs in your legs and then refresh in Ye Olde Pubs.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17312 on: May 24, 2018, 10:35:06 pm »

Good man. You don't need to trot if you came out. Good to get out on the hills here. Get some climbs in your legs and then refresh in Ye Olde Pubs.

Pubs you say?

Offline hartless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17313 on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:38 pm »
Pubs you say?

Aye. Loads of boozers in Glossop.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17314 on: May 24, 2018, 11:34:20 pm »

Hills and pubs sounds great to me. You must be loving it out there. Great place to bring up your kid too.

I’m gonna try to get myself back out for a jog next week.  I’d say this weekend, but that’s not gonna happen with the final on Saturday.

Pubs you say?

Is the Waggon & Horses still open in Blacon?  Rum place that was.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17315 on: May 25, 2018, 08:21:00 am »

Is the Waggon & Horses still open in Blacon?  Rum place that was.

Yeah. I've stayed well away. Looked like a gaff from Shameless.

Stuck to city centre so far. Did pop into the gaff near Morrisons once. Not great

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #17316 on: May 25, 2018, 09:08:57 am »
After all my suffering in Liverpool last weekend... I know deep down I can do a much better time than I put out so I've already gone and signed up for my second Marathon :-/

Valencia - 2nd December!

SHIT!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #17317 on: May 25, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »
I’m gonna try to get myself back out for a jog next week.  I’d say this weekend, but that’s not gonna happen with the final on Saturday.
I'm definitely gonna try and get out in the afternoon if I can. Running makes me a lot calmer and I sense that could come in handy tomorrow night.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17318 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:01 pm »
I'm definitely gonna try and get out in the afternoon if I can. Running makes me a lot calmer and I sense that could come in handy tomorrow night.

parkrun tomorrow morning for me. Then jump the train back to Liverpool....

Offline hartless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17319 on: May 25, 2018, 09:11:58 pm »
parkrun tomorrow morning for me. Then jump the train back to Liverpool....

Just pay for a ticket Mark. Tightass.