Author Topic: Digital Photography Question?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
Digital Photography Question?
« on: July 25, 2004, 07:58:52 pm »
Took this picture on a 4 megapixel camera using the default setting (next to highest resolution).

Downloaded it via the USB cable. Its over 900kb as a jpeg in the album (used Camedia software). Whats the best way to reduce if further to, say, under 100kb for emailing purposes?

:wave

Offline wellsie82

• Where's me tractorrrrrrrrr?
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Digital Photography Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 08:02:10 pm »
what i do is to open the pic in something like paintbrush and go to strech/skew then reduce the % of the picture
the best cashback site on the net.... Click here to get signed up

hoonin

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 09:31:03 pm »
Paintshop Pro. You can get a 30 day eval copy from www.jasc.com

Use this to crop the image and/or reduce the colour depth. That should reduce it in size somewhat.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 09:34:48 pm »
Rog
a) reduce the size in the resize option in your veiwer software then
b) save it as a jpg file with another name and increase the compression which reduces the size ( and quality but not drastically so)
Yep.

Offline Roger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 09:40:19 pm »
Paintshop Pro. You can get a 30 day eval copy from www.jasc.com

Use this to crop the image and/or reduce the colour depth. That should reduce it in size somewhat.

ta Gareth.

Had a fiddle and pictures are perfectly useable at 640x480 resolution on this camera. They save at about 120kb instead of 900kb for the default setting.

I suppose you have to balance up whether you are going to archive high resolution pics so as to bore the rellies when they come round or save them in a format that you can send quick across the web.

the low resolution gives about 375 pics on a 64Mb card instead of 66 at the next to highest setting.

Offline Roger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 09:43:02 pm »
Rog
a) reduce the size in the resize option in your veiwer software then
b) save it as a jpg file with another name and increase the compression which reduces the size ( and quality but not drastically so)

This viewer software (Camedia) is not the most user friendly piece of stuff I've ever used. Ta for the info though. I'll plug away and familiarise meself with it a bit more to follow that advice.

:wave

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 09:48:34 pm »

ta Gareth.

Had a fiddle and pictures are perfectly useable at 640x480 resolution on this camera. They save at about 120kb instead of 900kb for the default setting.

I suppose you have to balance up whether you are going to archive high resolution pics so as to bore the rellies when they come round or save them in a format that you can send quick across the web.

the low resolution gives about 375 pics on a 64Mb card instead of 66 at the next to highest setting.

I get 99 pics on s 128MB card at 1280X 960 which is big enough for the computer and TV and yet allows plenty of photos for a day.
Yep.

Offline Roger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 10:01:40 pm »

I get 99 pics on s 128MB card at 1280X 960 which is big enough for the computer and TV and yet allows plenty of photos for a day.

got 5 photo's saved at the high setting and just changed the setting to 1280x960 and the camera is saying I have 141 pics left on the 64Mb card. Its an Olympus XD card. But I'd never use that much on a weeks holiday.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 10:08:42 pm »
good news.
It also depends on the 'quality' your photos are set at, each brand of camera does this in a different way.
Mine has four settings - high, fine, normal and economy and I leave it on fine for me, as it gets great detail. Fuji cameras have a setting that varies the actual pixels used (1million, 3million etc).
So you're probably on normal quality ( perfectly acceptable for holiday snaps ) at that size which is fine too.

Do a couple of tests first.
Yep.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:57:21 pm »
Has anybody got an Olympus Pen E-PM1?

I've had one for a while and can't get familiar with it besides the very basic functions, in particular I'd like to learn how to take a picture similar to way you would take a B Setting on a SLR.
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 05:55:57 am »
Disappointed there isn't a active Photography thread on RAWK.

Just decided to take it up, need to do something to get me out the house.

Fancy trying to take some pictures of the night Sky, don't live to far from open fields on the edge of Frome so a bit less light pollution around this area after a short walk.

But I don't live to far from the Frome police station and I have a feeling I will be stopped by the police at some point asking me what am I up to wandering the streets at 2am with a tripod a camera and a torch.

Just waiting for my tripod to get delivered and then a moonless clear night to give it a go.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 02:42:37 pm »
Don't forget the Pictures You Are Proud Of thread. That's fairly active... though tends not to go into f-stops and all that malarkey.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 5, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »