Author Topic: Russia 2018 World Cup Squads  (Read 35784 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Russia 2018 World Cup Squads
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2018, 10:48:59 am »
While it is easy to mock his petulance, he'll be 34 by the time of the next world cup with little chance of making the squad, so why not look to extend his club career by calling it quits now?
Five goals in eight internationals, But Wagner's part of that grand tradition of German strikers being excellent at club level, scoring goals internationally and still not getting picked. He's this generation's Dieter Hoeneß or Michael Preetz.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2018, 10:50:22 am »
Brazil have to be favourites, for me.

Ederson
Marquinhos   Silva
Danilo                               Marcelo
Fernandinho Casemiro
Neymar                      Coutinho
Jesus   Firmino

Decent goalkeeper, solid CB pairing, attacking wing-backs. Two anchors in midfield that will allow the front 4 to do the damage. Don't think they'll field this. They should do though.

Does Ederson go ahead of Allison?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2018, 11:47:37 am »
While it is easy to mock his petulance, he'll be 34 by the time of the next world cup with little chance of making the squad, so why not look to extend his club career by calling it quits now?

He is still young enough to make the Euros. Mario Gomez is doing to the world cup aged 32.

it's the fact he's made such a fuss of it that's just plain daft. He had  a handful of caps. He's acted like an arrogant idiot for the last 12 months. Been very happy to let the whole of Germany know how great he is and so much better than other players. Why even announce this, just wipe your tears, get ready for the new season to show Loew he made a mistake, and then when he calls you up for the next friendly, go tell him to stick it  :P

He's probably a better player than Petersen, Muller and Gomez. And he's a different type than Reus and Werner. And being a player you always be disappointed in missing out on the WC.
So I get him being angry. But yeah his action in quitting the national team doesn't really carry much weight. It's easy for Germany supporters to sort of feel, "yeah ok so what"?

I think it's just Gomez having such a good 2nd half to the season that might have scuppered him.  And I can see why Loew would pick Gomez ahead of him, I doubt Petersen will make the squad. And Mueller and him are not comparable.

I know it must be gutting for him, but I guess a lot see it as a bit of karma for his behaviour ;) He isn't so good that he was a sure pick.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:52:13 am by Dië Nullfuenfer »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:56 pm »
Sorry for the off topic but there is no other WC related thread so....

https://twitter.com/darrenrichman/status/996824497486548993
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2018, 05:31:54 pm »
Does Ederson go ahead of Allison?
Good question, I initially had Alisson then changed him for Ederson. I'm not sure personally, just checked and he Alisson actually played vs. Germany. Not a bad dilemma to have.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2018, 05:37:11 pm »
Alisson is the Brazil #1.

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2018, 05:46:47 pm »

Disappointed Santiago Ascacibar hasn't snuck in. Solid first season in the Bundesliga and able to provide the kind of defensive midfield shield Masch used to.

Maybe next time.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2018, 06:28:14 pm »
No Bouffal or El Zhar.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2018, 06:31:17 pm »
No Mustafa Hadji or Yousef Chippo too.  :o

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2018, 06:35:45 pm »
Disappointed Santiago Ascacibar hasn't snuck in. Solid first season in the Bundesliga and able to provide the kind of defensive midfield shield Masch used to.

Maybe next time.

What team will Argentina play?

Caballero, Tagliafico, Otamendi, Rojo, Mercado, Biglia, Banega, Messi, Dybala, Perotti, Aguero

Don't fancy Higuain and Aguero together. Can't include Di Maria and Dybala as you are carrying too many. Think this gives them the best shot of balance and brings Messi into the 10 role.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2018, 06:37:08 pm »
DiMaria will play I think. They play a loop sided formation and he's like the left hand side of a midfield 3. They also play  with a 3 man defence.   :D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2018, 07:06:59 pm »
Senegal squad

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2018, 07:35:54 pm »
No Martial, Lacazzette, Payet or Benzima in French squad
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2018, 07:38:04 pm »

To say they're fucking stacked would be an understatement.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2018, 07:38:36 pm »
First french squad at a major tournament without an Arsenal player for 22 years. #Wenger era over

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2018, 07:39:30 pm »
No Martial, Lacazzette, Payet or Benzima in French squad

The fact that isn't even surprising shows the ridiculois depth of talent they have there.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2018, 07:40:06 pm »
Senegal squad

Very good squad really. Expect them to get out the group.

Also Stock City hahaha - isn’t that Everton under Sam Allardyce?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2018, 07:40:29 pm »
Look at the state of those attacking options. They're going to have Dembele, Fekir and maybe even Mbappe on the bench. It'd be utopia for England to have even 1 player on the bench of that quality.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2018, 07:44:51 pm »
DiMaria will play I think. They play a loop sided formation and he's like the left hand side of a midfield 3. They also play  with a 3 man defence.   :D

Interesting so will it be Fazio and Di Maria in for Dybala and Perotti then.

Caballero, Tagliafico, Fazio, Otamendi, Rojo, Mercado, Biglia, Banega, Di Maria, Messi, Aguero

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2018, 07:44:59 pm »
Great attacking options for the French who can easily afford to drop Lacazette, Martial and Coman. I think defence is a question mark, but they are comfortably one of the better sides alongside Germany and Brazil

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2018, 07:45:57 pm »
Great attacking options for the French who can easily afford to drop Lacazette, Martial and Coman. I think defence is a question mark, but they are comfortably one of the better sides alongside Germany and Brazil

Probably looking at Sidibe, Varane, Umtiti and Mendy in defence. That's the best in the tournament in my opinion. Midfield is probably the weakest area. Kante is a cert but Pogba and Matuidi are not quite at the level of the players Germany and Spain have.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2018, 07:49:07 pm »

No Rabiot either. That french squad is impressive.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:22 pm »
a lot of top teams, i look at their forward line, then I look at Englands...... Brazil France Argentina, its ridiculous the talent we dont have.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:28 pm »
Look at the state of those attacking options. They're going to have Dembele, Fekir and maybe even Mbappe on the bench. It'd be utopia for England to have even 1 player on the bench of that quality.

And they’ve left out plenty of players England simply couldn’t afford too. Proven by the fact we are taking Welbeck and they are leaving out Lacazette.

Thought Ben yedder might go and surprised at some of the defensive options left out though.

Also a very young side which gives them massive hope for the future to win a World Cup.

Would have thought Dembele and Mbappe both start though.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:32 pm »
Just realized they dropped Benzema: an embarrassment of riches

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:36 pm »
No Rabiot no Laporte?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2018, 07:53:58 pm »
At some stage France will collapse mentally, still a god bet for the semi finals.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2018, 07:55:49 pm »
So their best line up?

Lloris

Sidibe
Varane
Kimpembe
Mendy

Kante
Pogba
Fekir

Mbappe
Griezmann
Dembele

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2018, 07:58:55 pm »
Just hoping for as few Liverpool players involved in as few matches as possible.

Just want them back safe for a club that actually matters. These internationals are just petty and boring.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2018, 07:59:48 pm »
anyone got (& willing to share) a decent excel file to run an office world cup pool?
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2018, 08:00:55 pm »
So their best line up?

Lloris

Sidibe
Varane
Kimpembe
Mendy

Kante
Pogba
Fekir

Mbappe
Griezmann
Dembele

Umtiti is playing, he's been one of the best defenders in Europe this year. I think you're looking at Lloris, Sidibe, Varane, Umtiti, Mendy, Kante, Pogba, Matuidi, Lemar, Giroud, Griezmann from the start. Against crap sides you could potentially see Matuidi dropped for Mbappe.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2018, 08:02:52 pm »
And they’ve left out plenty of players England simply couldn’t afford too. Proven by the fact we are taking Welbeck and they are leaving out Lacazette.

Thought Ben yedder might go and surprised at some of the defensive options left out though.

Also a very young side which gives them massive hope for the future to win a World Cup.

Would have thought Dembele and Mbappe both start though.

They're churning out quality players at an unbelievable rate. Premier League clubs don't seem to have clocked onto it yet. They should be doing a lot of shopping there.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2018, 08:03:36 pm »
I'm hoping to see a front line of Mbappe - Griezmann - Dembele
But I know I'm going to see Giroud in there somewhere
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2018, 08:04:35 pm »
So their best line up?

Lloris

Sidibe
Varane
Kimpembe
Mendy

Kante
Pogba
Fekir

Mbappe
Griezmann
Dembele

Id go with that but Umtiti over Kimpembe most likely. Wouldnt be surprised to see Lemar start over Fekir though. Fekir deserves to start based on Form this season. If Giroud starts over any of those front three its blasphemy, good bench option and Plan b but that front 3 is fucking mouth watering.

Its also shocking that people were saying Payet would have been taken instead of Fekir if he hadn't got injured.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:39 pm »
Umtiti is playing, he's been one of the best defenders in Europe this year. I think you're looking at Lloris, Sidibe, Varane, Umtiti, Mendy, Kante, Pogba, Matuidi, Lemar, Giroud, Griezmann from the start. Against crap sides you could potentially see Matuidi dropped for Mbappe.

Starting Giroud after he's been on the bench for most of the season is absolutely criminal if it happens. He is a good player but when you have the options they have, he should be no where near the starting line up

I wouldn't have Lemar starting either.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2018, 08:07:43 pm »
Starting Giroud after he's been on the bench for most of the season is absolutely criminal if it happens. He is a good player but when you have the options they have, he should be no where near the starting line up

Deschamps absolutely loves him. He started 7 qualifiers, Lemar too is somebody he seems to have an awful lot of time for. Not decisions I'd make, but if you see Griezmann, Mbappe and Dembele start the first game I'd be gobsmacked.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2018, 08:08:10 pm »
They're churning out quality players at an unbelievable rate. Premier League clubs don't seem to have clocked onto it yet. They should be doing a lot of shopping there.

Some of the names they have left out is insane especially in midfield

Ndombele (Beast of a player that i would have taken instead of Matuidi)
Rabiot (would have taken instead of Nzonzi)
Tousart
Bakayoko (quality player whos been mismanaged at Chelsea)
Aouar

Ridiculous talent pooll

Offline Fazak_Red

• Seems to think everything is shite, not including his own one-liners though, of course not......
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
Is there a reason Ben Yedder won’t ever take a Tunisia call up?

Rejected his only chance to play at a World Cup.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2018, 08:09:48 pm »
So their best line up?

Lloris

Sidibe
Varane
Kimpembe
Mendy

Kante
Pogba
Fekir

Mbappe
Griezmann
Dembele
Like that, it looks pretty hardcore. I'd maybe have Umtiti in there, but don't know much about Kimpembe. Only saw a couple of Franch matches this year, but in both Lemar started, so maybe him instead of Fekir, even though I think Fekir is a slightly better player? Don't know. However they line up, they'll be a threat. Incredible first team, incredible depth.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2018, 08:12:33 pm »

Agree with you, but Deschamps seems to really like both of them. I guess both are quite good team players - Giroud always seems to create loads for the players around him, and Lemar's a really good worker and link player.