Author Topic: Paddington Films  (Read 1464 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Paddington Films
« on: March 4, 2018, 11:11:18 pm »
I am really curious as to see how many people have seen these movies? Strangely enough I only the saw the original Paddington movie at Christmas, yet I just enjoyed it so much that I instantly regretted not seeing it at the cinema on its release.

The thing that really amazed me was how visually stunning the film was, the way the sets are produced, the quality of the little details in various scenes. It’s the sort of film you need to watch more than once, as you don’t notice everything going on in it. But every time you watch it you get something else out of it.

Having watched various TV shows with CGI stuff, sometimes it becomes really off putting, if it has not been done well. But the job they’ve done with Paddington is just immaculate. You completely buy this vision of a talking bear, because it seems so real and natural. The emotions they get in the eyes and face are really amazing, and it means you accept the story so much more. It has to be said Ben Whisham who does his voice is fantastic. I have watched Ben in a play and he has really incredible charisma.

The other thing that I loved about it, was the fact that it came with a relevant message, especially in these current times. The danger of the country becoming closed to outsiders. Paddington is the ultimate story of the very real contribution that immigrants, have always made to this country.

I saw the second film the other day and this is even better than the first one was, for all the reasons above. The scene stealer which is the pop-up book, which magically comes to life as it gets opened is totally stunning. But more than that it’s a film about families, communities, how when something good gets taken away, how everything around starts to go to rack and ruin.

It’s sad that this film gets overlooked primary because its deemed a family film, because it is so much more than that. These films will become classics when other ones, which get so much hype will be long since forgotten about. I don’t want this to become a rant but just to encourage people to watch this if they get the chance. It will surprise as there is so much more about these movies than meets the eye. They actually make you leave feeling both happier and optimistic, and any film that does that, has got to have a lot going for it. I have put two trailers there for both films.

Paddington 1  https://youtu.be/7bZFr2IA0Bo

Paddington 2 https://youtu.be/52x5HJ9H8DM
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Paddington Films
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2018, 02:33:25 am »
Seen both. The second one is absolutely brilliant and so layered. It is one of the best children's films in some time. It's a shame that its worldwide release was botched. This should have made a ton of money.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2018, 08:48:44 pm »
Seen them both Jill. My kids loved them both and I agree with what you’ve said, they’re both very charming, funny, heartwarming films with nice social messages in them too. Definitely films that you can watch over and over, having sat through a lot of kids films in recent years you definitely can’t always say that!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2018, 08:52:49 pm »
"Dogs must be carried..."
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »
"Dogs must be carried..."

:D

Loads of funny visual gags too, forgot about that one.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2018, 09:20:21 pm »
:D

Loads of funny visual gags too, forgot about that one.

Loved the way the lost and found sign lit up when Mary first speaks to Paddington, didn't even notice it when I first saw it. So many beautiful touches too it.

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2018, 11:08:35 pm »
Didn't really have particularly high expectations for it, but Paddington 2 was comfortably the most enjoyable film I saw last year.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2018, 12:30:20 am »
Absolutely adored and treasured in our house. The fact they managed to improve on the first film with the second was a real joy. Family classics.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2018, 12:19:02 pm »
Both films are loved by me (30) and my Mrs (29). So so good and as someone said above so layered as well especially for a 'kids' film. Really funny with some real emotional moments as well

Hugh Grant was fantastic in the 2nd one and I'm really not a fan of his at all

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #9 on: March 6, 2018, 12:23:08 pm »
Seen them both but only watched 2 for the first time yesterday as Sky had it on early release. Really great film and just the right level of action and sentimentality. When Aunt Lucy turned up at the end  :'(
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2018, 10:00:35 pm »
Seen them both but only watched 2 for the first time yesterday as Sky had it on early release. Really great film and just the right level of action and sentimentality. When Aunt Lucy turned up at the end  :'(

That and when the Browns didn't turn up for visiting hour got me going.  :(

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2018, 09:52:15 am »
We watched the 1st film at the cinema (it was our pre-Xmas cinema outing, that's become a family tradition) and whilst I thought it was decent, none of us raved about it (me & wife, girls then aged 6 & 10)

When the sequel came out, none of us were that bothered about watching it.

Given the recommendations, I'll push for us to watch it next time we have a family film night at home.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"