Author Topic: RAWK's Bloggers' Musings, Wisdom & General Positivity for 2019 & beyond!  (Read 57665 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Morning all.

A few years ago, when I was working in Mumbai, I saw a desktop calendar in the hotel's bookstore that had for each day a different photo os somewhere in India and a different motivational quotation from various influential people (most of them Indian, but not all).

I had the idea a while back (during my little break from all things RAWKish) to start this thread today and to upload a pic of each day's quotation. I shall try to keep this going but if for any reason I need to catch up, I'll post a few in a row.

Hopefully you'll like it, maybe it will be the tipping point for some that day to make the change in their lives they've been waiting to make.

If the thread bombs, it bombs - but at least I will have tried ;D

Happy New 2018, people - make it your year.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:53:58 pm by 24/7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 24/7's Daily Musings, Wisdom & General Positivity for 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2018, 11:58:07 am »
January 1st

An auspicious day.

"The future depends on what you do today." - Mahatma Gandhi
« Last Edit: January 2, 2018, 10:22:31 am by 2/48 »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2018, 12:01:14 pm »
The Future depends........on what you do today.

Ooh.  That's deep!   ;D

I look forward to your postings.   :wave

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2018, 12:14:45 pm »
Ooh.  That's deep!   ;D

I look forward to your postings.   :wave
Yup - the consequences of today's decisions will inevitably shape what happens next, so our choices are at times worthy of deep consideration prior to making them. Sometimes our choices are easy, sometimes hard - sometimes they feel impossible to make - but make them we must if we are to move forward.

Today I chose to face 2018, with all its impending trials, with a strong heart and with positive intention. I am determined to show nothing but compassion to anyone who transgresses me. What I do with that today may not bear fruit for a long time, however it has the potential to do so far more than if I do not.

(Some of the quotations you will see will not feel deep at all, some of them are quite heavily weighted with religious doctrine at times and that makes me uneasy on some days, being an avowed born-again fundamentalist atheist but I can see the intended wisdom behind each one and there is value to be taken from each one - if we choose to ;) Discuss!)
« Last Edit: January 1, 2018, 12:16:46 pm by 24/7 wishes you all a very Happy New Year 20/8 »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 1, 2018, 12:24:44 pm »
Nice one 24/7. This'll be a good thread to pop into throughout the year  :thumbup

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #5 on: January 1, 2018, 07:39:38 pm »
Good idea, I'll be checking in for my daily dose!

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #6 on: January 1, 2018, 11:03:31 pm »
I’ll be reading along here, Jim! :thumbup

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #7 on: January 1, 2018, 11:29:28 pm »
You can do nothing about the direction of the wind . All you can do is adjust your sails.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2018, 02:25:28 am »

If the thread bombs, it bombs - but at least I will have tried ;D

Happy New 2018, people - make it your year.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Happy new year mate

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2018, 10:22:13 am »
(So this idea might have legs after all! Thanks for the support, guys :wave )

January 2nd

"Peaceful coexistence is possible among nations no matter how deep the differences between them, how far apart they are in their political and economic systems, no matter how intense the issues that divide them." - Lal Bahadur Shastri

I had to look this one up.

Shastri was the 2nd PM of India and shared a birthday with Gandhi. The quotation above is the 2nd half a longer one issued on Sept 23rd (which begs the question why the calendar people didn't put this on Sept 23rd!) 1965, the day of the ceasefire in the Indo-Pakistan War which had already claimed thousands of deaths.

A couple of anecdotes of interest point to a very intelligent, moral and humble man (although Indians and Pakistanis on RAWK might well be aware of more things about him that I won't bring into here, least of all the suspicion surrounding the circumstances of his death!)

In 1963, on the day when he was dropped from the cabinet, he was sitting in his home in the dark, without a light. When asked about the reason, he said as he no longer is a minister, all expenses will have to be paid by himself and that as an MP and minister he didn't earn enough to save for time of need.

Although Shastri had been a cabinet minister for many years in the 1950s, he was poor when he died. All he owned at the end was an old car, which he had bought in instalments from the government and for which he still owed money. He was a member of Servants of India society (which included Gandhi, Lala Lajpat Rai, Gopal Krishna Gokhle) which asked all its members to shun accumulation of private property and remain in public life as servants of people.

So the three points that I wish to dwell on here are:

i) his belief that basically we can all get along if we choose to understand, appreciate and respect our differences

ii) accumulation of wealth and property is not necessarily the smartest way to live

iii) public duty does not entitle you to privilege and expense

Wouldn't it be great if a few more of our lot learned from that?!

PS - I remember the first time I went to the Gateway of India in Mumbai with a tall, blonde female work colleague, both of us wearing LFC shirts. We were bleedin mobbed!!!!!! In the end we joked that we would charge 100 rupees for selfies. One lad stuck his hand in his pocket as if to pay so we had to stop him. Madness, but a fun day nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2018, 10:25:06 am by 2/48 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 3, 2018, 11:38:38 am »
January 3rd

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to cary rain or usher storm, but to add colour to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

You'll see quite a few from this guy over the coming months, a man of some deliciously wise words.

Today they are particularly apt, since one particular cloud that's been hanging over me for some time now is about to be dissolved away by the bright sunshine of progress and completion.

So when I turned the page today, I thought what a lovely thing to be feeling - resolution at a time when resolutions are usually made!

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 3, 2018, 11:43:09 am »
January 3rd

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to cary rain or usher storm, but to add colour to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

I love that quote.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 3, 2018, 04:01:46 pm »
Tagore is by far the greatest writer India has ever produced. Incredibly poignant writing fit for any time and place. This thread hits quite close to home so I'll be popping in here every day. Thanks, 24/7!
« Last Edit: January 3, 2018, 05:11:45 pm by Gerrvindh »

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #13 on: January 3, 2018, 06:12:58 pm »
Stand and Deliver
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15 on: January 3, 2018, 10:24:21 pm »
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Happy new year mate

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 4, 2018, 02:36:30 am »
Thank you for this thread mate

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 4, 2018, 07:34:08 am »
Thank you for this thread mate
You're welcome. You're all welcome. Feel free to share this thread, well, anywhere........

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 4, 2018, 07:41:02 am »
January 4th

"How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world." William Shakespeare.

Today's words of wisdom come courtesy of The Bard. I have an uncomfortable relationship with him, bad memories of English Literature 'A' Level and the pressure to conform to the critics in order to get a good grade. The rebel in me said, "Fuck THAT! Most of his stuff is shite!" Trust me to get 'The Tempest' as one of the chosen texts that year, the one play that the critics tend to pan and I thought it was brilliant. The other was 'Antony & Cleopatra', not the best text to place in front of a Classics student either. It was dire.....and historically inaccurate.....Ah well.

Back to good deeds.

RAWK has a habit of coming together and achieving things, whether it be the Kevin Williams petition signing, or the Save LFC campaign or climbing the hill in our own way, so to speak. Most recently it was to help Carl van Riel's family and boy was that a good deed that shone! Huge congrats to all who made that deed work.

Try to do something good today. I myself have a PM from someone in a very dark place. My advice to them is to flush the pills and take every day as it comes, looking for at least one positive each and every day, something good and valuable about themselves. It's in all of us - we just have to look. Maybe a something as small yet as bright as a candle will shed light on that one thing today.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 4, 2018, 07:49:39 am »
January 4th

"How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world." William Shakespeare.

I'm falling more and more in love with this thread already..... :thumbup

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 4, 2018, 08:20:54 pm »
Cheers for the thread, mate  :)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 4, 2018, 08:21:33 pm »
Cheers for the thread, mate  :)
Good to see you smiling, fella. Hang on to that feeling. Or I'll twat yer! ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 4, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »
I'm falling more and more in love with this thread already..... :thumbup
It gets better. There's some absolute belters in that diary and the most incredible part of it is when that day's quotation fits perfectly the situation or problem or task or joy or whatever you happen to be feeling that day. It's great to start each day looking at the quotation and thinking, "In what way can this inspire or motivate me today?"

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #23 on: January 4, 2018, 11:02:33 pm »
Good to see you smiling, fella. Hang on to that feeling. Or I'll twat yer! ;D
My favourite quote of the thread  :lmao

Only kidding mate... And that's to both of you  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 5, 2018, 09:31:05 am »
January 5th

"No one ever attains very eminent success by simply doing what is required of him; it is the amount and excellence of what is over and above the required that determines greatness." Charles Kendall Adams

Another one I had to look up - an American academic and historian, he was the President of Cornell University and later of Wisconsin, so one presumes he knew a thing or two about being outstanding in his field (no jokes about scarecrows please, there's a different thread for that!)

He advocated the application of a Germanic method of teaching, which I presume is still pedagogical at its core yet philosophical in its approach too, especially given the high profile of Teutonic (German/Austrian/Scandinavian philosophers and psychologists and artistic types at the time. i.e. end of 19th century) so he can't be all that bad!

Additionally, he was forced to resign his position at Cornell over a clash of ideology around degree graduation, which to me suggests a character who challenged the status quo in favour of a system that is more progressive. Sounds like just about every Liverpool fan I've ever met ;D

I guess the paraphrase version of the quotation might go, "Jobsworths achieve fuck-all more than the minimum they deserve. Want something more from what you put in? Then put in more - and make it count."

Personally, I never got anywhere in life by doing only the bare minimum. I do get plenty out of life by adopting the philosophy of putting my heart and soul into everything that I do - and generosity of spirit generates its own rewards many times over.

Enjoy your day, people, do something benevolent, exceed people's expectations of you - see if it pays off further down the line and remember this, the day you chose to do something better.....

PS - the building is the Charminar (built 1591) in Hyderabad. If I were a rich man (cue music) I'd buy it and rename it Sharmanar ;D
« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 09:33:10 am by 2/48 »

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 5, 2018, 09:54:04 am »
Not entirely on topic but I saw that picture and went down memory lane. A roughly six block radius around the Charminar has got the most lip-smacking curries, biryanis, kebabs, Irani teas and biscuits you'll ever have. I spent an entire day walking around old Hyderabad stuffing myself till I couldn't take it anymore. I guess I did end up exceeding my own expectations of how much I could eat in a single day!
« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 09:56:04 am by Gerrvindh »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2018, 10:17:47 am »
Not entirely on topic...
Doesn't matter, friend. Whatever the quotations/pictures move you to remember or create. Nice ending though to get it back ON topic! Sounds like you had a great day. How long were you on the khazi* for after, like?

(interesting side note - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/khazi - Usage notes - Now most commonly used in Liverpool, away from its Cockney origin." Thieving Scousers? ;D :wave )

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2018, 11:19:27 am »
Doesn't matter, friend. Whatever the quotations/pictures move you to remember or create. Nice ending though to get it back ON topic! Sounds like you had a great day. How long were you on the khazi* for after, like?

(interesting side note - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/khazi - Usage notes - Now most commonly used in Liverpool, away from its Cockney origin." Thieving Scousers? ;D :wave )

Haha! I am of Indian origin so I felt not a flutter and had the soundest of sleeps that night ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2018, 11:22:28 am »
Haha! I am of Indian origin so I felt not a flutter and had the soundest of sleeps that night ;D

:lmao

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 6, 2018, 11:47:46 am »
January 6th

"If we take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

One of our sources who needs no introduction.

This line feels apt, just days after my 48th birthday. Do I feel middle-aged? Do I fuck! There are of course what sometimes feel like "wasted years" in my life (for too many personal reasons to go into, some of you know of them though).....however, when I look back, it doesn't seem that it was the years that were wasted, rather the moments (or minutes) that I failed to take care of adequately, which created knock-on consequences, so yes, it all adds up.

So now I find that, having taken better care over the smaller things in recent years, my quality of life has dramatically improved! Is it perfect? Of course not - but I no longer suffer from depression and I no longer feel the negative aspects of my OCD. Instead, I have learned to integrate the traits of my OCD into my work and home lives, which has enriched them, rather than hindered them like they used to ;)

You can too :thumbup

Another way to look at it, "If you take care of the minutes in football matches, the results take care of themselves." Isn't that right, Virgil? ;D
« Last Edit: January 6, 2018, 11:49:59 am by 2/48 »

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #30 on: January 6, 2018, 05:10:40 pm »
I like this one today. Quite poignant, Thanks Jim! :-*
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 6, 2018, 11:37:27 pm »
Great idea for a thread, thank you.

Today's quote (and in a progression, yesterday's to an extent) reminds me of the quote I've started using for the team I'm leading now. After all the change I've introduced in the last six months, I want us to concentrate on this idea, which resonates with the Franklin quote. I think it's also useful when I think about what Jürgen is trying to accomplish at LFC.

"The farmer does not make the wheat grow any faster by pulling on the shoots." (Anon. folk proverb).

You make all the preparations necessary, till the soil, make sure it's healthy and then sow the right seed. If you've put everything in place, and tend it well, no amount of impatience will make things happen faster than they can. Indeed, getting impatient will only end up ruining the crop.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 7, 2018, 10:32:41 am »
Great idea for a thread, thank you.
You're welcome. Nice link to the footie too ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 7, 2018, 10:38:55 am »
January 7th

"Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart." - Mahatma Gandhi

Okay, this is one of those religious-type ones I mentioned, that, as an atheist, doesn't sit entirely with me but I understand the sentiment and personally I relate to the second part more than the first. If you relate to any part of it though, that's all good - and fits the purpose of this thread ;)

On a footballing and very personal front, I joined RAWK eleven years ago today, having seen something on the television in Sweden that did not appear to be explained very well by the commentator there. It was a visual representation of so much heart........and just two words...........

FA Cup 3rd round v Arsenal at Anfield.
A mosaic.
"THE TRUTH"

That stirred something in me, awoke an energy that I previously didn't have an outlet for.

Then, well, together with a whole bunch of other people with heart, we climbed the hill in our own way.

All based on two words and plenty of heart.

Which two words will inspire you today? How much heart can you unleash in positive deeds today?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #34 on: January 7, 2018, 05:07:03 pm »
"Never smite an ant because it might turn into a giant ant with a machine gun one day"

- Rudyard Kipling
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 8, 2018, 09:58:11 am »
January 8th

"Treat everyone you meet as though they're the most important person you'll meet that day!" - Roger Dawson

Nice sentiment! Who's Roger Dawson though?

http://www.mindperk.com/roger-dawson-biography/ - oh, okay - a sales/negotiation skills trainer.

Whatever your personal feelings might be regarding capitalist ventures and sales negotiation tactics, the sentiment remains valid. Whenever I run 'sales' trainings, I approach it from the perspective of sales being merely an internal function of providing the best possible service to a customer - and customers prefer to feel like they are exercising their choice, rather than being sold to aggressively - I certainly don't subscribe to any "sell, sell, sell to your own agenda!" drum-beating - and there's nothing to suggest to me Dawson does the latter........

.........so there is a more altruistic aspect to today's line. Making someone's day by making them feel valued, even if there's no extrinsic benefit to you, as there might come an intrinsic reward instead....

Whose day will you make today?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 8, 2018, 10:40:18 pm »
Today’s quote really resonates with me. This is exactly how I approach each and every new person I meet on my way.

I’m digging this... ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2018, 11:01:47 am »
January 9th

"I find life an exciting business - and most exciting when it is lived for others." - Helen Keller

Ah, what a beautifully simple and selfless statement! If you don't know Helen Keller's story, I recommend a quick read up.

As tiring as a life of service to others might feel at times, it can be exceptionally rewarding. You don't need to adopt it all the live long day every live long day, however there's also the idea of practising random kindness of senseless acts of beauty, which was created in 1982 as a counterpoint to the phrase "random acts of violence and senseless acts of cruelty."

Try a random act of kindness today, for the interests of another.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #38 on: January 9, 2018, 11:18:58 am »
"Don't worry about the price of petrol.....just stick 20 quid in every time. The price never changes" :)

Me Dad
« Last Edit: January 9, 2018, 11:21:29 am by Branno »
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 9, 2018, 11:34:21 am »
“I’m losing my electrons.” 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.