Author Topic: 2018 in Music  (Read 126416 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: 2018 in Music
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2018, 09:00:00 pm »
Greenman Festival announced tomorrow.

Phoebe Bridgers and Baxter Dury confirmed judging by their twitter clues (just lyrics).
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:59 am »
Nils Frahm's new album 'All Melody' released tomorrow.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:23 am »
This is stuck in my head at the moment, 2017 but I believe the album is for 2018 release so it counts! Geowolf - Hideaway. They're playing Sound City this year too! Pop music.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sS_NHOLdfHg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sS_NHOLdfHg</a>
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2018, 01:08:35 pm »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:34:51 pm by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2018, 03:55:19 pm »
Listened to and enjoyed the new Django Django record. They really are great, still think their first record is the best though ... so far
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2018, 04:15:42 pm »
The Sonics are playing Amsterdam tonight! Yes!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2018, 10:52:17 am »
Greenman Festival announced tomorrow.

Phoebe Bridgers and Baxter Dury confirmed judging by their twitter clues (just lyrics).

I've noticed this have a fantastic line-up over recent years.

For those who've paid closer attention than I have, is that a line-up that's likely to change and be added to quite a bit over the coming months?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2018, 06:19:17 pm »

For those who've paid closer attention than I have, is that a line-up that's likely to change and be added to quite a bit over the coming months?

Yeah there'll be loads more added (40 odd?), although I think that's all but 1 of the headliners.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2018, 06:37:12 pm »

Yeah, they often seem to get really good acts, it's a lovely festival in a great place.

Had a quick scan of the lineup, is it a bit more indie than it used to be? I've only ever been once, in 2008 I think (or whichever year they had SFA there), but the vast majority of the acts seemed to be a lot folkier than this year's. Wish I could go this year, but it's unlikely.

And yeah, as Sam said, I'd imagine a load of smaller acts will be added over the next few months.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2018, 07:07:04 pm »
The new Calexico record sounds good. Love me some Calexico. 
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2018, 08:07:14 pm »
Yeah, they often seem to get really good acts, it's a lovely festival in a great place.

Had a quick scan of the lineup, is it a bit more indie than it used to be? I've only ever been once, in 2008 I think (or whichever year they had SFA there), but the vast majority of the acts seemed to be a lot folkier than this year's. Wish I could go this year, but it's unlikely.

And yeah, as Sam said, I'd imagine a load of smaller acts will be added over the next few months.

Definitely more diverse musically than it was. It started out very folky, and has gradually expanded. Still gutted I missed Jamie XX a couple of years back. Have to say I'm glad it has expanded its horizons, there was one edition where you literally couldn't move for beardy blokes with acoustic guitars on every stage. And I fucking love beardy blokes with guitars, but even I got a bit sick of it.

Saw SFA there in 2015, was bloody brilliant.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2018, 08:31:58 pm »
The Gaslight Anthem are reuniting for a 59 Sound 10th anniversary tour in July this year, UK and Ireland gigs are in Manchester, Glasgow, London and Dublin.

Hopefully I'll manage to get tickets tomorrow (pre-sale code is 59SOUND from 10am for anyone else looking for tickets).

https://www.facebook.com/thegaslightanthem/photos/a.10152462275323305.1073741825.384408923304/10155511899578305

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:11:32 am by Paul-LFC »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2018, 10:32:42 pm »
The Gaslight Anthem are reuniting for a 59 Sound 10th anniversary tour in July this year, UK and Ireland gigs are in Manchester, Glasgow, London and Dublin.

Hopefully I'll manage to get tickets tomorrow (pre-sale code is 59SOUND from 10am for anyone else looking for tickets).

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155511900028305&id=384408923304

Oh yes, that'll do!

First came across these watching the Glastonbury 2009* highlights - have really liked them ever since.  That and their debut - Sink or Swim are cracking records.

*Absolutely fantastic line-up that year, it has to be said!

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »
Took a break from the Fallathon to give the new Total Control EP a spin - reviews have been excellent - pretty sure it came out in December though.  Anyway it's great - but it's so short (8 tunes in 20 awesome minutes), their previous album started autoplaying.  Completely forgot how good that album is - or maybe didn't appreciate it at the time.  I have vague recollections of quite a few people in here being into at the time - it's fantastic.   

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »
Took a break from the Fallathon to give the new Total Control EP a spin - reviews have been excellent - pretty sure it came out in December though.  Anyway it's great - but it's so short (8 tunes in 20 awesome minutes), their previous album started autoplaying.  Completely forgot how good that album is - or maybe didn't appreciate it at the time.  I have vague recollections of quite a few people in here being into at the time - it's fantastic.   

Yes, mate. Love their first two records. Live, they are shit hot, too.

Need to give this EP a bit more. It sort of fell in between the cracks of all the end of year shenanigans.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2018, 03:02:02 pm »
Yes, mate. Love their first two records. Live, they are shit hot, too.

Need to give this EP a bit more. It sort of fell in between the cracks of all the end of year shenanigans.

It's really good - couple of bangers on it.  They come to Europe much? Presume you saw them a few times before your big move?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:12:57 pm by Chip Evans »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2018, 03:26:55 pm »
Took a break from the Fallathon to give the new Total Control EP a spin -

Just something I thought I would mention following the RAOTY...Few mentions for a few EP's in that and I wonder if we should keep track in '2018 in Music' for none Album formats in recommendations over the year and maybe have an RAWK Non Album format release of the year....er!....RNAFROTY...for EP's, Downloads, Singles etc...thought I would mention it now rather than end of year.

Must check out the Total Control Ep

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:53 pm »
RNAFROTY...for EP's

When the branding of the new award is so immediate and catchy it'd be a shame not to.  :) Up for that

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2018, 03:41:10 pm »
When the branding of the new award is so immediate and catchy it'd be a shame not to.  :) Up for that

;D

I can see the 'RNAFROTY's' becoming the award ceromony of the musical calender in years to come!

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2018, 04:15:12 pm »
It's really good - couple of bangers on it.  They come to Europe much? Presume you saw them a few times before your big move?

Nice one.

Don't think they tour over this way that much these days - two members were in another band called the Eddy Suppression Current Ring who were pretty big in Oz, but there output is rather sporadic these days (they may have been broken up, actually).

Think they have a bit of a Hey Colossus approach whereby they just play the odd show here and there.

Funnily enough, I saw Total Control in the UK once (they played the Les Savy Fav/Battles/Caribou ATP). Saw them once in Brisbane too. Both times very very good.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2018, 04:23:30 pm »
they played the Les Savy Fav/Battles/Caribou ATP

Couldn't go to that ATP (Winter one?) but remember the lineup was insane, and my fume that I couldn't go.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2018, 06:51:41 pm »
Couldn't go to that ATP (Winter one?) but remember the lineup was insane, and my fume that I couldn't go.

Yup, the winter one. Ace weekend. Archers of Loaf and Bitch Magnet. Remember getting absolutely pummelled by the sounds of Factory Floor on the Sunday night.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2018, 07:33:18 pm »
Aside from the last Lambchop album, this is perhaps my favourite use of (fucking) autotune yet. Really enjoying this guy's album.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-GY_d3y34o4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-GY_d3y34o4</a>

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 1, 2018, 09:33:22 am »
End of the Road lineup is sweet.

Just got the Fourtet album from the end of last year, its fantastic.

Offline bobbyjames

• Anny Roader
« Reply #104 on: February 1, 2018, 09:59:45 am »

https://www.facebook.com/thegaslightanthem/photos/a.10152462275323305.1073741825.384408923304/10155511899578305

Managed to get tickets for London, so excited for this! My favourite band!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 1, 2018, 11:06:12 am »
New Moby Single is good..thought it was UMO on first radio hearing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xp0m08eOD5U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xp0m08eOD5U</a>

« Last Edit: February 1, 2018, 11:08:14 am by FlashingBlade »

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #106 on: February 1, 2018, 11:35:58 am »
End of the Road lineup is sweet.

Your boy Amen Dunes front and centre!

Great line-up. Sadly, I can't make it this year.

Thinking about Primavera, but we'll see...

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #107 on: February 1, 2018, 02:35:15 pm »
Started to listening to Vasas flora och fauna. They're singing in österbottniska, which is basically Swedish spoken by people in a region in Finland (Österbotten). They're second album was released last year and it's fantastic. Reminds me of Fairport Convention circa Unhalfbricking, mostly because Tina Kärkinen's voice sounds like Sandy Denny's. Would recommend (and would've been in my top 3 of the year had I known about it)!
« Last Edit: February 1, 2018, 02:53:07 pm by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #108 on: February 1, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »
Your boy Amen Dunes front and centre!

Great line-up. Sadly, I can't make it this year.

Thinking about Primavera, but we'll see...

Primavera in Barca is mad. But so expensive to get there now.

EOTR and GM be enough for me.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #109 on: February 1, 2018, 04:25:21 pm »
Primavera in Barca is mad. But so expensive to get there now.

EOTR and GM be enough for me.

I need something to fill the void as Glasto and Pysch Fest are having a year off. My olds are here on holiday during EOTR and GM so I'm looking at alternative options. My wife has no idea about these alternative options, but hey ho, one can dream... ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 1, 2018, 04:27:57 pm »
Is Psych Fest having a year off? Didn't know that!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #111 on: February 1, 2018, 05:52:24 pm »
I need something to fill the void as Glasto and Pysch Fest are having a year off. My olds are here on holiday during EOTR and GM so I'm looking at alternative options. My wife has no idea about these alternative options, but hey ho, one can dream... ;D

Haha - take the folks to EOTR

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #112 on: February 2, 2018, 09:53:27 am »
Is Psych Fest having a year off? Didn't know that!

Yeah, announced two weeks ago. Not sure what to make of it - hope they are doing okay financially.

Haha - take the folks to EOTR

Hehe. I believe Anfield will be the preferred option ;D

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 2, 2018, 01:23:59 pm »
Listened to and enjoyed the new Django Django record. They really are great, still think their first record is the best though ... so far
Agreed. First album of the year I've really liked, and I'm glad they're over the sophomore slump.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #114 on: February 2, 2018, 03:11:33 pm »
Saw The Weather Station last night after getting into them really late.

Absolutely magnificent. Playing Liverpool on Saturday so go along if you can.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #115 on: February 3, 2018, 10:09:42 am »
Saw The Weather Station last night after getting into them really late.

Absolutely magnificent. Playing Liverpool on Saturday so go along if you can.

Great, man. I'm off to this show tonight. Looking forward to it!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #116 on: February 3, 2018, 11:36:43 am »
New Moby Single is good..thought it was UMO on first radio hearing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xp0m08eOD5U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xp0m08eOD5U</a>

Always think, like Keith in the Prodigy; if you can't really sing, don't do it to often mate! I like it but....you know

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 3, 2018, 12:11:20 pm »
Always think, like Keith in the Prodigy; if you can't really sing, don't do it to often mate! I like it but....you know

Some of the best records made are by people who couldnt 'sing'...Johnny Rotten , Lou Reed....

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 3, 2018, 02:44:25 pm »
Some of the best records made are by people who couldnt 'sing'...Johnny Rotten , Lou Reed....

I agree. All you need to be able to do is communicate, its not about hitting notes perfectly, its about getting your point and ideas across. Sometimes it helps to be really tuneful, and others it really doesn't matter.

I mean, you could put Pavarotti fronting The Fall and it'd be shite.

Well actually I'd probably give it a listen out of curiosity...but you get the idea ;D

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 3, 2018, 03:59:51 pm »
Managed to get tickets for London, so excited for this! My favourite band!
Same here except got Manchester tickets. Can't wait, didn't get chance to see them live when I initially discovered them (just as they were going on hiatus) but saw Brian in 2016, who was brilliant. Going to see him again in a couple of weeks, would definitely recommend his gigs to any Gaslight fans.